Patrick Kwan and Wenzhi Wang contributed equally to this paper.
FULL-LENGTH ORIGINAL RESEARCH
Long-term outcome of phenobarbital treatment for epilepsy in rural China: A prospective cohort study
Article first published online: 13 NOV 2012
Wiley Periodicals, Inc. © 2012 International League Against Epilepsy
Volume 54, Issue 3, pages 537–542, March 2013
How to Cite
Kwan, P., Wang, W., Wu, J., Li, S., Yang, H., Ding, D., Hong, Z., Dai, X., Yang, B., Wang, T., Yuan, C., Ma, G., de Boer, H. M. and Sander, J. W. (2013), Long-term outcome of phenobarbital treatment for epilepsy in rural China: A prospective cohort study. Epilepsia, 54: 537–542. doi: 10.1111/epi.12022
- Issue published online: 4 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 13 NOV 2012
- Accepted September 20, 2012; Early View publication Xxxxxx XX, 2012.
- for the Levetiracetam Monotherapy Study Group. (2007) Comparison of levetiracetam and controlled-release carbamazepine in newly diagnosed epilepsy. Neurology68:402–408. , , , , ,
- 2012) Patterns of treatment response in newly diagnosed epilepsy. Neurology78:1548–1554. , , , , . (
- 2008) Primary care treatment of epilepsy with phenobarbital in rural China: cost-outcome analysis from the WHO/ILAE/IBE global campaign against epilepsy demonstration project. Epilepsia49:535–539. , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2012a) Cognitive and mood effects of phenobarbital treatment in people with epilepsy in rural China: a prospective study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry Jul 31, Doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2012-303042. [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2012b) Premature mortality risk in people with convulsive epilepsy: Long follow-up of a cohort in Rural China. Epilepsia (In press). , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2006) ILAE treatment guidelines: evidence-based analysis of antiepileptic drug efficacy and effectiveness as initial monotherapy for epileptic seizures and syndromes. Epilepsia47:1094–1120. , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2010) Long-term retention rate of topiramate as initial monotherapy in Chinese patients with newly diagnosed epilepsy: a prospective, observational study. Epilepsy Res90:278–284. , , , , , , . (
- 1997) Bringing epilepsy out of the shadows. BMJ315:2–3. . (
- 2001) Effectiveness of first antiepileptic drug. Epilepsia42:1255–1260. , . (
- 2004) Phenobarbital for the treatment of epilepsy in the 21st century: a critical review. Epilepsia45:1141–1149. , . (
- 2000) Factors predicting prognosis of epilepsy after presentation with seizures. Ann Neurol48:833–841. , , , , , . (
- 2008) The epilepsy treatment gap in developing countries: a systematic review of the magnitude, causes, and intervention strategies. Epilepsia49:1491–1503. , , , . (
- 2006) Diagnosing refractory epilepsy: response to sequential treatment schedules. Eur J Neurol13:277–282. , . (
- 2003) The prevalence and treatment gap in epilepsy in China: an ILAE/IBE/WHO study. Neurology60:1544–1545. , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2006) Efficacy assessment of phenobarbital in epilepsy: a large community-based intervention trial in rural China. Lancet Neurol5:46–52. , , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2008) Global Campaign Against Epilepsy: demonstration project in the PR of China: outcome assessment. Bull World Health Organ86:964–969. , , , , , , , , , , , , . (
- World Health Organization. (2009) Epilepsy management at primary health level in rural China: WHO/ILAE/IBE. A Global Campaign Against Epilepsy Demonstration Project.
- World Health Organization. (2012) Standard antiepileptic drugs (phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine, valproic acid) for management of convulsive epilepsy in adults and children. http://www.who.int/mental_health/mhgap/evidence/epilepsy/q7/en/index. html (Accessed 21 April 2012).
- 2011) Side effects of phenobarbital in epilepsy: a systematic review. Epileptic Disord13:349–365. , , . (