CRITICAL REVIEW AND INVITED COMMENTARY
Extended-release antiepileptic drugs: A comparison of pharmacokinetic parameters relative to original immediate-release formulations
Article first published online: 28 NOV 2012
Wiley Periodicals, Inc. © 2012 International League Against Epilepsy
Volume 54, Issue 1, pages 28–35, January 2013
How to Cite
Leppik, I. E. and Hovinga, C. A. (2013), Extended-release antiepileptic drugs: A comparison of pharmacokinetic parameters relative to original immediate-release formulations. Epilepsia, 54: 28–35. doi: 10.1111/epi.12043
- Issue published online: 3 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 28 NOV 2012
- Accepted September 27, 2012; Early View publication November 28, 2012.
- 2009) The descriptive epidemiology of epilepsy-a review. Epilepsy Res85:31–45. , , . (
- 2007) Extended-release formulations for the treatment of epilepsy. CNS Drugs21:765–774. . (
- 2007) Progress report on new antiepileptic drugs: a summary of the Eigth Eilat Conference (EILAT VIII). Epilepsy Res73:1–52. , , , , , . (
- 2010) Efficacy, safety, and potential of extended-release lamotrigine in the treatment of epileptic patients. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat6:145–150. , . (
- 1990) Conventional vs controlled-release carbamazepine: a multicentre, double-blind, cross-over study. Acta Neurol Scand82:9–13. , , , , , , , , , . (
- Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (2003) Guidance for industry – bioavailability and bioequivalence studies for orally administered drug products – general considerations. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm070124.pdf (Accessed November 13, 2012).
- 1989) How often is medication taken as prescribed? A novel assessment technique. JAMA261:3273–3277. , , , , . (
- 2005) Prevalence and cost of nonadherence with antiepileptic drugs in an adult managed care population. Epilepsia49:446–454. , , . (
- Depakote ER [package insert] (2010) Abbott Laboratories, North Chicago, IL.
- 2002) Comparison of the bioavailability of unequal doses of divalproex sodium extended-release formulation relative to the delayed-release formulation in healthy volunteers. Epilepsy Res49:1–10. , , , , , . (
- 2010) Do regulatory bioequivalence requirements adequately reflect the therapeutic equivalence of modified-release drug products?J Pharm Pharm Sci13:107–113. , . (
- 2008) Nonadherence to antiepileptic drugs and increased mortality: findings from the RANSOM Study. Neurology71:1572–1578. , , , , . (
- 2009) Impact of nonadherence to antiepileptic drugs on health care utilization and costs: findings from the RANSOM study. Epilepsia50:501–509. , , , , . (
- 1998) Pharmacokinetic evaluation of twice-daily extended-release carbamazepine (CBZ) and four-times-daily immediate-release CBZ in patients with epilepsy. Epilepsia39:274–279. , , , , , , , . (
- 1975) The epidemiology of epilepsy in Rochester, Minnesota, 1935 through 1967. Epilepsia16:1–66. , . (
- 1993) Incidence of epilepsy and unprovoked seizures in Rochester, Minnesota: 1935–1984. Epilepsia34:453–468. , , . (
- 1987) Lamotrigine: single-dose pharmacokinetics and initial 1 week experience in refractory epilepsy. Epilepsy Res1:194–201. , , , , , . (
- 1990) Pharmacokinetic comparison of two carbamazepine slow-release formulations. Acta Neurol Scand82:135–137. , , , , . (
- 2007) Comparison of patient compliance with once-daily and twice-daily antibiotic regimens in respiratory tract infections: results of a randomized trial. J Antimicrob Chemother59:531–536. . (
- 2002) Systematic review and meta-analysis of incidence studies of epilepsy and unprovoked seizures. Epilepsia43:1402–1409. , , , , . (
- Lamictal XR [package insert] (2011) GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- 1988) Compliance during treatment of epilepsy. Epilepsia29(Suppl. 2):S79–S84. . (
- 2001) Mortality in epilepsy in the first 11 to 14 years after diagnosis: multivariate analysis of a long-term, prospective, population-based cohort. Ann Neurol49:336–344. , , , , , . (
- 2009) Association of antiepileptic drug nonadherence with risk of seizures in adults with epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav14:372–378. , , , . (
- 2004) Improved CNS tolerability following conversion from immediate- to extended-release carbamazepine. Acta Neurol Scand109:374–377. , , . (
- 2009) Better adherence with once-daily antiretroviral regimens: a meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis48:484–488. , , , . (
- 2004) Extended-release formulations: simplifying strategies in the management of antiepileptic drug therapy. Epilepsy Behav5:301–307. , , , , . (
- 2010) Immediate-release versus controlled-release carbamazepine in the treatment of epilepsy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev CD007124. , , . (
- 1990) Pharmacokinetic profile of a 300-mg extended phenytoin sodium capsule (Dilantin) formulation. Epilepsia31:458–464. , , . (
- 2006) Every-12-hour administration of extended-release divalproex in patients with epilepsy: impact on plasma valproic acid concentrations. Epilepsy Behav8:391–396. , , , , . (
- 2010) What do the suffixes – XR, ER, Chrono, Chronosphere – really mean as it pertains to modified-release antiepileptic drugs?J Clin Pharm Ther35:373–383. , , , , . (
- 2009) Pharmacokinetics of levetiracetam XR 500 mg tablets. Epilepsy Res84:224–231. , , , , , . (
- 2006) In vitro characterization of lamotrigine N2-glucuronidation and the lamotrigine-valproic acid interaction. Drug Metab Dispos34:1055–1062. , , , , , . (
- 2009) Effect of medication dosing frequency on adherence in chronic diseases. Am J Manag Care15:e22–e33. , , , . (
- 2004) Clinical comparison of extended-release divalproex versus delayed-release divalproex: pooled data analyses from nine trials. Epilepsy Behav5:746–751. , , , . (
- 2009) Oxcarbazepine extended-release formulation in epilepsy. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol2:155–162. . (
- 2009) Short-term impact of the switch from immediate-release to extended-release oxcarbazepine in epilepsy patients on high dosages. Epilepsy Res87:256–259. , . (
- 1998) Controlled, multidose, pharmacokinetic evaluation of two extended-release carbamazepine formulations (Carbatrol and Tegretol-XR). J Pharm Sci87:1531–1534. , , , . (
- Tegretol OROS Osmotic Release Delivery System Study Group. (1995) Double-blind crossover comparison of Tegretol-XR and Tegretol in patients with epilepsy. Neurology45:1703–1707.
- 2008) Steady-state pharmacokinetics of lamotrigine when converting from a twice-daily immediate-release to a once-daily extended-release formulation in subjects with epilepsy (The COMPASS Study). Epilepsia49:410–417. , , , , , , , , . (
- 2008) Exposure-response analysis reveals that clinically important toxicity difference can exist between bioequivalent carbamazepine tablets. Br J Clin Pharmacol65:110–122. , , . (
- Trileptal [package insert] (2011) Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, East Hanover, NJ.
- 2008) Pharmacotherapeutics of epilepsy: use of lamotrigine and expectations for lamotrigine extended release. Ther Clin Risk Manag4:1035–1046. . (
- World Health Organization (2006) Neurological disorders: public health challenges. Available at: http://www.who.int/mental_health/neurology/neurodiso/en/index.html (accessed August 14, 2012).
- World Health Organization (2009) Epilepsy fact sheet no. 999. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs999/en/index.html (Accessed August 14, 2012).
- 1992) Sodium valproate acutely inhibits lamotrigine metabolism. Br J Clin Pharmacol33:511–513. , , , . (