Border Children: Interpreting Autism Spectrum Disorder in South Korea
Version of Record online: 1 FEB 2013
© 2013 by the American Anthropological Association.
Volume 41, Issue 1, pages 46–74, March 2013
How to Cite
Grinker, R. R. and Cho, K. (2013), Border Children: Interpreting Autism Spectrum Disorder in South Korea. Ethos, 41: 46–74. doi: 10.1111/etho.12002
- Issue online: 1 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 FEB 2013
- Autism Speaks Foundation
- 2003 The Melodrama of Mobility: Women, Talk, and Class in Contemporary South Korea. Honolulu: University of Hawai‘i Press.
- American Psychiatric Association 1952 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- 1968 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 2nd edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- 1980 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 3rd edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- 1987 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 3rd edition, rev. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- 1994 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- In press Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5th edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network 2007a Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders—Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, Six Sites, United States, 2000. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 56 (SS-1), February 9, 2007:1–11.
- 2007b Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders—Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, Fourteen Sites, United States, 2002. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 56(SS-1), February 9: 12–29.
- 2010 From Cure to Community: Transforming Notions of Autism. Ethos 38(1):33–55.
- 1967 Infantile Autism and the Birth of the Self. New York: Free Press.
- 2008 Autism and Diagnostic Substitution: Evidence from a Study of Adults with a History of Developmental Language Disorder. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 50(5):341–345. , , , and
- 2008 What is Mental Disorder? An Essay in Philosophy, Science, and Values. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2010 Enactments of Expertise. Annual Review of Anthropology 39:17–32.
- 2000 Adaptation and Accommodation to Young Children with Disabilities: A Comparison of Korean and Korean American Parents. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education 20(4):236–249. , , and
- 2008 The “Education Game” and Meritocracy. Paper presented at the Annual Korean Anthropological Association Meetings, Beyond Illusion and Fear: Education in the Age of Super-Competition, Seoul, Korea, November 14.
- 2006 The Introduction of Western Psychiatry into Korea: Psychiatric Education in Korea during the Forced Japanese Annexation of Korea (1910–1945). Korean Journal of Medical History 15(2):157–187. , and
- 2007 The Medicalization of Society: On the Transformation of Human Conditions into Treatable Disorders. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 1990 Who Gets Treated? Factors Associated with Referral in Children with Psychiatric Disorders. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 81(6):523–529. , and
- 2002 The Need for Cross-Cultural Research on the Pervasive Developmental Disorders. Transcultural Psychiatry 39(4):531–550.
- 2003 From Symptom Recognition to Diagnosis: Children with Autism in Urban India. Social Science and Medicine 58(7):1323–1335.
- 2002 Diagnostic Conceptualization of Autism among Indian Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and Pediatricians. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 32(1):13–23. , and
- 2001 Sampling the Social Construction of ADHD in Everyday Language. Anthropology and Education Quarterly 32(2):167–190. , and
- 1996 Impure Science: AIDS, Activism, and the Politics of Knowledge. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2010 The Autism Matrix. Cambridge: Polity. , , , , and
- 2003 Séoul, ville géante, cités radieuses. Paris: CNRS Editions (Collection Asie Orientale).
- 1986 Stigma: Notes on the Management of Spoiled Identity. New York: Touchstone.
- 1998 Korea and Its Futures: Unification and the Unfinished War. New York: St. Martin's Press.
- 2007 Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism. New York: Basic.
- 2011 Culture and Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Impact on Prevalence and Recognition. In Autism Spectrum Disorders. D. Amaral, G. Dawson, and D. Geschwind, eds. Pp. 112–136. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , and
- 1999 The Social Construction of What. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 2007 Kinds of People: Moving Targets. Proceedings of the British Academy, 151:285–318.
- 2004 Let Them Eat Prozac: The Unhealthy Relationship between the Pharmaceutical Industry and Depression. New York: New York University Press.
- 2006 Impacts of Rapid Social and Family Changes on the Mental Health of Children in Korea. Psychiatry Investigation 3(1):6–25.
- 2004–05 Precious Family [Bumonim Jeonsangseo]. 68 series. KBS Production. Seoul. , and , dirs.
- 2005 Marathon. 117 min. Cineline. Seoul. , dir.
- Joongang Daily2009 Koyang Leads the Way by Treating Children with Emotional Disorders. March 4: 26.
- 2010 Need to Get Rid of School Preparations that Bring Tears to Working Mothers. September 27: 34.
- 1943 Autistic Disturbances of Affective Contact. Nervous Child 2:217–250.
- 2010 Regarding the Rise in Autism: Vaccine Safety Doubt, Conditions of Inquiry, and the Shape of Freedom. Ethos 38(1):8–32.
- 2007 Our Adoptee, Our Alien: Transnational Adoptees as Specters of Foreignness and Family in South Korea. Anthropological Quarterly 80 (20):497–531.
- 2011 Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders in a Total Population Sample. American Journal of Psychiatry 168(9):904–912. , , , , , , , , , , , and
- Korea Research Meeting for Asian/Pacific Decade 1997 Policy and Program for Persons with Disability in Korea. Seoul: Kwang-Yoon Seo.
- Korean Ministry of Education, Science and Technology/Korean Educational Development Institute 2010 Statistical Yearbook of Education. Seoul, Korea. Seoul: Korean Ministry of Education.
- 1992 Bad Mothers: The Politics of Blame in Twentieth Century America. New York: New York University Press. , and , eds.
- 2005 Pharmaceutical Reason. Knowledge and Value in Global Psychiatry. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2007 Shyness: How Normal Behavior Became a Sickness. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- 2005 Factors Associated with Age of Diagnosis among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics 116(6):1480–1486. , , and
- 2005 National Autism Prevalence Trends from United States Special Education Data. Pediatrics 115:277–282. , , and
- 2004 Practical Logic and Autism. In A Companion to Psychological Anthropology. Robert B. Edgerton and Conerly Casey, eds. Pp. 140–167. Oxford: Blackwell. , and
- 2002 Special Education in South Korea. Teaching Exceptional Children 34(5):28–33.
- 2007 Educational Manager Mothers: South Korea's Neoliberal Transformation. Korea Journal 47(3):186–213.
- 2007 Class and Cosmopolitan Striving: Mothers’ Management of English Education in South Korea. Anthropological Quarterly 77(4):645–672. , and
- 2009 From Advocate to Activist? Mapping the Experiences of Mothers of Children on the Autism Spectrum. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 22(1):43–53. , and
- 2009 The Profitable Adventure of Threatened Middle-Class Families: An Ethnographic Study on Homeschooling in South Korea. Asia Pacific Education Review 10(3):409–422.
- Seoul National University, Seoul National University Publishing Committee for the Historical Biographies of Medical Doctors in Korea 2008 Hankuk Euihak Inmulsa [Historical biographies of medical doctors in Korea]. Seoul: Thaehaksa.
- 2002 Education Fever: Society, Politics, and the Pursuit of Schooling in South Korea. Honolulu: University of Hawai‘i Press.
- 2006 Grappling with Affliction: Autism in the Jewish Ultraorthodox Community in Israel. Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry 30(1):1–27. , and
- 2006 The Contribution of Diagnostic Substitution to the Growing Administrative Prevalence of Autism in US Special Education. Pediatrics 117(4):1028–1037.
- 2002 Social Support for Families of Children with Mental Retardation: Comparison between Korea and the United States. Mental Retardation 40(2):103–118.
- 1999 A Korean Syndrome of Attachment Disturbance Mimicking Symptoms of Pervasive Developmental Disorder. Infant Mental Health Journal 20(1):60–76. , , , and
- 2011 Understanding Autism: Parents, Doctors, and the History of a Disorder. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 2010 Rethinking Autism, Rethinking Anthropology. Special Issue, Ethos 38(1). , and
- 2011 Behavior Assessment System for Children, Second Edition, Parent Rating Scale-Children in Korean Children: Cross-Cultural Aspect and a Potential Screener for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Paper presented at the meetings of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Toronto, September 19. , , , , , , , , and
- 1947 A Textbook of Mental Deficiency. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins.
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2009 Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders: Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, United States, 2006. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 58(10):1–20.
- 2010 Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the American Psyche. New York: Free Press.
- 2010 Mad in America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine, and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill. New York: Basic.
- 1986 Educating Children with Learning Problems: A Shared Responsibility. Exceptional Children 52(5):411–415.
- 1995 Harmony of Illusions: Inventing Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Princeton: Princeton University Press.