More rapid climate change promotes evolutionary rescue through selection for increased dispersal distance
Article first published online: 25 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 353–364, February 2013
How to Cite
Boeye, J., Travis, J. M. J., Stoks, R. and Bonte, D. (2013), More rapid climate change promotes evolutionary rescue through selection for increased dispersal distance. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 353–364. doi: 10.1111/eva.12004
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 APR 2012
- FWO. Grant Numbers: G.0057.09, G.0610.11
- 2011. Do species’ traits predict recent shifts at expanding range edges? Ecology Letters 14:677–689. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Local adaptation and the evolution of species’ ranges under climate change. Journal of Theoretical Biology 266:449–457. , and .
- 2011. Risky movement increases the rate of range expansion. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B. Biological Sciences 279:1194–1202 , , , and .
- 2011. Adaptation and evolutionary rescue in metapopulations experiencing environmental deterioration. Science 332:1327–1330. , and .
- 2010. Adapt or disperse: understanding species persistence in a changing world. Global Change Biology 16:587–598. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Heritability and artificial selection on ambulatory dispersal distance in Tetranychus urticae: effects of density and maternal effects. PLoS ONE 6:e26927. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Heritability of spider ballooning motivation under different wind velocities. Evolutionary Ecology Research 9:817–827. , and .
- 2009. Repeatability of dispersal behaviour in a common dwarf spider: evidence for different mechanisms behind short- and long-distance dispersal. Ecological Entomology 23:271–276. , , , and .
- 2010. Evolution of dispersal polymorphism and local adaptation of dispersal distance in spatially structured landscapes. Oikos, 119:560–566. , , and .
- 2012. Costs of dispersal. Biological Reviews 87:290–312. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Modelling species’ range shifts in a changing climate: the impacts of biotic interactions, dispersal distance and the rate of climate change. Journal of Theoretical Biology 245:59–65. , , , and .
- 2008. Managing plant population spread: prediction and analysis using a simple model. Ecological Applications 18:945–953. , , and .
- 2008. Landscape structure and boundary effects determine the fate of mutations occurring during range expansions. Heredity 101:329–340. , and .
- 2010. Trade-offs and the evolution of life-histories during range expansion. Ecology Letters 13:1210–1220. , , and .
- 2011. Rapid range shifts of species associated with high levels of climate warming. Science 333:1024–1026. , , , , and .
- 2008. Rapid evolution of seed dispersal in an urban environment in the weed Crepis sancta. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:3796–3799. , , , and .
- 2001. Dispersal. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , , and , eds.
- 2008, eds. Dispersal in Plants. A Population Perspective. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , and
- 2012. How do genetic correlations affect species range shifts in a changing environment? Ecology Letters 15:251–259. , , , , and .
- 2009. Evolved dispersal strategies at range margins. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B. Biological Sciences 276:1407–1413. .
- 2004. Evolutionary Conservation Biology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and , eds.
- 2007. Landscape modification and habitat fragmentation: a synthesis. Global Ecology and Biogeography 16:265–280. , and .
- 2011. Assortative mating counteracts the evolution of dispersal polymorphisms. Evolution 65:2491–2496. , , , and .
- 2002. Evolutionary speed of species invasions. Evolution 56:661–668. , and .
- 2004. Bioclimate envelope models: what they detect and what they hide. Global Ecology and Biogeography 13:449–457. .
- 2011. Eco-evolutionary dynamics of dispersal in spatially heterogeneous environments. Ecology Letters 14:1025–1034. , and .
- 1976. Discrete time models for two-species competition. Theoretical Population Biology 9:202–221. , and .
- 2001. Evolution of migration rate in a spatially realistic metapopulation model. The American naturalist 157:495–511. , and .
- 2004. Conservation implications of Niche conservatism and evolution in heterogeneous environments. In R. Ferrière, U. Dieckmann, and D. Couvet, eds. Evolutionary Conservation Biology. pp. 244–264. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 2000. Alternative causes for range limits: a metapopulation perspective. Ecology Letters 3:41–47. , and .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2000. A comparative study of seed number, seed size, seedling size and recruitment in grassland plants. Oikos 88:494–502. , and .
- 2008. Dispersal, demography and spatial population models for conservation and control management. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 9:153–170. , , and .
- 2005. Mechanistic analytical models for long-distance seed dispersal by wind. The American Naturalist 166:368–381. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. On the elasticity of range limits during periods of expansion. Ecology 91:3094–3099. , , and .
- 2004. The metacommunity concept: a framework for multi-scale community ecology. Ecology Letters 7:601–613. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Range expansion drives dispersal evolution in an equatorial three-species symbiosis. PLoS ONE 4:E5377. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. The velocity of climate change. Nature 462:1052–1055. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The dynamics of climate-induced range shifting; perspectives from simulation modelling. Oikos 118:131–137. , , , and .
- 2000. Demography and dispersal: calculation and sensitivity analysis of invasion speed for structured populations. Ecology 8:1613–1628. , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 37:637–671. .
- 1989. A model of population growth, dispersal, and evolution in a changing environment. Ecology 70:1657–1664. , , and .
- 2010. Scenarios for global biodiversity in the 21st century. Science 330:1496–1501. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Range shift promotes the formation of stable range edges. Journal of Biogeography 39:153–161. .
- 2006. Invasion and the evolution of speed in toads. Nature 439:803. , , , and .
- 2008. Reid's paradox revisited: the evolution of dispersal kernels during range expansion. The American Naturalist 172:S34–S48. , , , and .
- 2002. Evolution of density- and patch-size-dependent dispersal rates. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B. Biological Sciences 269:637–645. , and .
- 2009. Species range: adaptation in space and time. The American Naturalist 175:186–204. , , and .
- 2007. How does it feel to be like a rolling stone? Ten questions about dispersal evolution Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 38:231–253. .
- 1997. Biological Invasions: Theory and Practice. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and , eds.
- 2011. An evolutionary process that assembles phenotypes through space rather than through time. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108:5708–5711. , , and .
- 2004. Changes in dispersal during species’ range expansions. The American Naturalist 164:378–395. , and .
- 2010. Climate, climate change and range boundaries. Diversity and Distributions 16:488–495. .
- 2001. Ecological and evolutionary processes at expanding range margins. Nature 411:577–581. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427:145–148. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Climate change and habitat destruction: a deadly anthropogenic cocktail. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B. Biological Sciences 270:467–473. .
- 2002. Dispersal evolution during invasions. Evolutionary Ecology Research 4:1119–1130. , and .
- 2009. Accelerating invasion rates result from the evolution of density dependent dispersal. Journal of Theoretical Biology 259:151–158. , , , and .
- 2010. Towards a mechanistic understanding of dispersal evolution in plants: conservation implications. Diversity and Distributions 16:690–702. , , and .
- 2012. Modelling dispersal: an eco-evolutionary framework incorporating emigration, movement, settlement behaviour and the multiple costs involved. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 3:628–641. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. A crucial step toward realism: responses to climate change from an evolving metacommunity perspective. Evolutionary Applications 5:154–167. , , , , and .
- 2008. Keeping up with a warming world; assessing the rate of adaptation to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B. Biological Sciences 275:649–659. .
- 2011. Rapid responses of British butterflies to opposing forces of climate and habitat change. Nature 414:65–69. , , , , , , et al.