Potential for local adaptation in response to an anthropogenic agent of selection: effects of road deicing salts on amphibian embryonic survival and development
Article first published online: 1 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 384–392, February 2013
How to Cite
Hopkins, G. R., French, S. S. and Brodie, E. D. (2013), Potential for local adaptation in response to an anthropogenic agent of selection: effects of road deicing salts on amphibian embryonic survival and development. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 384–392. doi: 10.1111/eva.12016
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUL 2012
- USU Department of Biology
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- 2012. Effects of salinity on early life stages of the Gulf Coast toad, Incilius nebulifer (Anura: Bufonidae). Copeia 2012:106–114. , , , and
- 2008. Convergence failures in logistic regression. SAS Global Forum. http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2008/360-2008.pdf.
- 1989. Tolerance to low pH in a population of moor frogs, Rana arvalis, from an acid and a neutral environment: a possible case of rapid evolutionary response to acidification. Oikos 56:215–223. , , and
- 1989. Raising the axolotl in captivity. In J. B. Armstrong, and G. M. Malacinski, eds. Developmental Biology of the Axolotl, pp. 220–227. Oxford University Press, New York. , , and
- 1985. Salt tolerances of natterjack toad (Bufo calamita) eggs and larvae from coastal and inland populations in Britain. Herpetological Journal 1:14–16.
- 1994. Use and misuse of mixed model analysis of variance in ecological studies. Ecology 75:717–722. , and
- 2002. Effects of hatching time for larval Ambystomatid salamanders. Copeia 2002:511–517. , , and
- 2012. Road to evolution? Local adaptation to road adjacency in an amphibian (Ambystoma maculatum). Scientific Reports 2:1–5.
- California Department of Transportation 1999. Snow & Ice Control Operations. California Department of Transportation Maintenance Program, Sacramento, CA.
- 2007. Evolution on ecological time-scales. Functional Ecology 21:387–393. , , , and
- 2011. Increased conductivity affects corticosterone levels and prey consumption in larval amphibians. Journal of Herpetology 45:219–223.
- 2009. Toxicity of road salt to Nova Scotia amphibians. Environmental Pollution 157:320–324. , and
- 1979. Clutch energy partitioning of tropical tree frogs (Hylidae). Copeia 1979:626–635. , and
- 2008. Accumulation of deicing salts in soils in an urban environment. Urban Ecosystems 11:17–31. , , , , and
- 2006. Acute effects of road deicers on the tadpoles of three anurans. Applied Herpetology 3:87–93. , and
- 1994. Biology of Amphibians. Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD. , and
- 2011. Mass mortality of great crested newts (Triturus cristatus) on ground treated with road salt. Veterinary Record 168:282. , , , and
- Environment Canada 2001. Priority Substances List Assessment Report: Road Salts. Environment Canada, catalog number En40-215/63E. Ottawa, ON.
- 1993. Bias reduction of maximum likelihood estimates. Biometrika 80:27–38.
- 2000. Estimate of the area affected ecologically by the road system in the United States. Conservation Biology 14:31–35.
- 2003. Road Ecology: Science and Solutions. Island Press, Washington, DC. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011a. Survival and growth of the caddisfly Limnephilus flavastellus after predation on toxic eggs of the Rough-skinned Newt (Taricha granulosa). Canadian Journal of Zoology 89:483–489. , , and
- 2011b. Tetrodotoxin levels in larval and metamorphosed newts (Taricha granulosa) and palatability to predatory dragonflies. Toxicon 57:978–983. , , , , , and
- 2011. Effects of six chemical deicers on larval wood frogs (Rana sylvatica). Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 30:1637–1641. , , , and
- 1969. Harrison stages and description of the normal development of the spotted salamander, Amblystoma punctatum (Linn.). In R. G. Harrison, ed. Organization and Development of the Embryo, pp. 44–66. Yale University Press, New Haven CT.
- 1981. Aquatic impacts of deicing salts in the central Sierra Nevada mountains, California. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 17:280–285. , , , and
- 2012. Interfamily variation in amphibian early life-history traits: raw material for natural selection? Ecology and Evolution 2:1637–1643. , , , and
- 2003. The effects of adjacent land use on wetland amphibian species richness and community composition. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 60:1078–1094. , and
- 2001. Genetic variation in two populations of the rough-skinned newt (Taricha granulosa) assessed using novel tetranucleotide microsatellite loci. Molecular Ecology Notes 1:293–296. , , and
- 2007. Are embryonic and larval green frogs (Rana clamitans) insensitive to road deicing salt? Herpetological Conservation and Biology 2:35–41.
- 2011. Road deicing salt irreversibly disrupts osmoregulation of salamander egg clutches. Environmental Pollution 159:833–835. , and
- 2009. Effect of road deicing salt on the susceptibility of amphibian embryos to infection by water molds. Environmental Research 109:40–45. , and
- 2008. Impacts of road deicing salt on the demography of vernal pool-breeding amphibians. Ecological Applications 18:724–734. , , and
- 2005. Increased salinization of fresh water in the northeastern United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102:13517–13520. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecology Letters 7:1225–1241. , and
- 1967. Newts: sun-compass orientation. Science 158:1459–1461. , and
- 2009. Effects of salinity on survivorship of wood frog (Rana sylvatica) tadpoles. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 24:335–336. , , , , and
- 2006. Confronting amphibian declines and extinctions. Science 313:48. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Local adaptation and genetics of acid-stress tolerance in the moor frog, Rana arvalis. Conservation Genetics 5:513–527. , , , , and
- National Transportation Research Board 2007. National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report 577: Guidelines for the Selection of Snow and Ice Control Materials to Mitigate Environmental Impacts. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, Washington, DC.
- 1958. The occurrence of amphibians and reptiles in saltwater areas, and a bibliography. Bulletin of Marine Science of the Gulf and Caribbean 8:1–97.
- Oregon Department of Transportation 2012. Winter Road Maintenance Practices: Trip Check. Available at: http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?mainNav=RoadConditions&staticNav=WinRoadMain (accessed on April 5, 2012).
- 1992. Sodium chloride and potassium chloride tolerance of different stages of the frog, Microhyla ornata. Herpetological Journal 2:18–23. , and
- 2010. Effects of road salts on the composition of seasonal pond communities: can the use of road salts enhance mosquito recruitment? Aquatic Ecology 44:155–166. , and
- 2003. How far to the nearest road? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 1:125–129. , and
- 1959. The ecology of a brackish water population of Rana pipiens. Copeia 1959:315–322.
- 1977. Osmoregulation in amphibians and reptiles. Annual Reviews of Physiology 39:449–471. , and
- 2004. Status and trends of amphibian declines and extinctions worldwide. Science 306:1783–1786. , , , , , , and
- 2004. Regional increase of mean chloride concentration in water due to the application of deicing salt. Science of the Total Environment 325:29–37.
- 2000. Review of ecological effects of roads on terrestrial and aquatic communities. Conservation Biology 14:18–30. , and
- 2000. Embryonic survivorship of the spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum) in roadside and woodland vernal pools in southeastern New Hampshire. Journal of Herpetology 34:60–67.
- 1999. Salt tolerance of Rana temporaria: spawning site selection and survival during embryonic development (Amphibia, Anura). Amphibia-Reptilia 20:161–171.
- 1995. Adaptive plasticity in hatching age: a response to predation risk trade-offs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 92:3507–3510.
- 1999. Effects of hatching age on development and hatchling morphology in the red-eyed treefrog, Agalychnis callidryas. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 68:443–470.
- 1998. Roadsalt and Winter Maintenance for British Columbia Municipalities. Ministry of Environment – Water Quality Section, Victoria, BC, Canada.
- Washington State Department of Transportation 2012. Snow & Ice Removal. Available at: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/anti.htm (accessed on April 5, 2012).
- 1982. Extra-binomial variation in logistic linear models. Applied Statistics 31:144–148.