Contributed equally to this study.
Applying ecological and evolutionary theory to cancer: a long and winding road
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Special Issue: Evolution and Cancer
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 1–10, January 2013
How to Cite
Thomas, F., Fisher, D., Fort, P., Marie, J.-P., Daoust, S., Roche, B., Grunau, C., Cosseau, C., Mitta, G., Baghdiguian, S., Rousset, F., Lassus, P., Assenat, E., Grégoire, D., Missé, D., Lorz, A., Billy, F., Vainchenker, W., Delhommeau, F., Koscielny, S., Itzykson, R., Tang, R., Fava, F., Ballesta, A., Lepoutre, T., Krasinska, L., Dulic, V., Raynaud, P., Blache, P., Quittau-Prevostel, C., Vignal, E., Trauchessec, H., Perthame, B., Clairambault, J., Volpert, V., Solary, E., Hibner, U. and Hochberg, M. E. (2013), Applying ecological and evolutionary theory to cancer: a long and winding road. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 1–10. doi: 10.1111/eva.12021
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUN 2012
- CNRS. Grant Number: GDR 3530
- 2011. Overlooking evolution: a systematic analysis of cancer relapse and therapeutic resistance research. PLoS ONE 6:e26100. , , , , and .
- 2006. Tumor morphology and phenotypic evolution driven by selective pressure from the microenvironment. Cell 127:905–915. , , and .
- 2005. Cancer and ageing: a nexus at several levels. Nature Review Cancer 5:655–662. , and .
- 2011. Why don't we get more cancer? A proposed role of the microenvironment in restraining cancer progression. Nature Medicine 17:320–329. , and .
- 2010. Accumulation of driver and passenger mutations during tumor progression. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107:18545–18550. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Using mathematics to dissect cancer. Nature Reviews Cancer 10:221–230.
- 2009. Individual-based and continuum models of growing cell populations: a comparison. Journal of Mathematical Biology 58:657–687. , and .
- 1999. Genetic instability and Darwinian selection in tumours. Trends in Cell Biology 9:M57–M60. , , , and .
- 1975. Mutation selection and the natural history of cancer. Nature 255:197–200.
- Cancer Genome Atlas Network. 2012. Comprehensive molecular characterization of human colon and rectal cancer. Nature, 487:330–337.
- 2011. Peto's paradox: evolution's prescription for cancer prevention. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 26:175–182. , and .
- 2011. Active surveillance for prostate cancer: progress and promise. Journal of Clinical Oncology 29:3669–3676. , , and .
- 2006. Positive selection in the evolution of cancer. Biological Review 81:407–424. , and .
- 2011. Evolutionary dynamics in cancer therapy. Molecular Pharmacology 8:2094–2100. , , and .
- 2012. Promotion of hepatocellular carcinoma by the intestinal Microbiota and TLR4. Cancer Cell 21:504–516. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Infections and cancer: established associations and new hypotheses. Critical Reviews in Oncology and Haematology 70:183–194. , and .
- 2007. Symmetric stem cell replication and cancer. PLoS Computational Biology 3:e53. , , and .
- 2011. Forty years on from Nixon's war, cancer research ‘evolves’. Nature Medicine 17:757.
- 2010. Dynamic interplay between the collagen scaffold and tumor evolution. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 22:697–706. , , and .
- 2001. Dangers and unreliability of mammography: breast examination is a safe, effective, and practical alternative. International Journal of Health Services 31:605–615. , , and .
- 2009 An evolutionary perspective on parasitism as a cause of cancer? Advances in Parasitology 68:21–43.
- 2010. Selection for a dominant oncogene and lage male size as a risk factor for melanoma in the Xiphophorus animal model. Molecular Ecology 19:3114–3123. , and .
- 2001. Inflammation, carcinogenesis and cancer. International Immunopharmacology 11:1651–1667.
- 2004. Cancer without disease. Nature 427:787. , and .
- 2009. Evolution of resistance to targeted anti-cancer therapies during continuous and pulsed administration strategies. PLoS Computational Biology 11:e1000557. , and .
- 2004. Age-specific acceleration of cancer. Current Biology 14:242–246.
- 2005. Age-specific incidence of inherited versus sporadic cancers: a test of the multistage theory of carcinogenesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102:1071–1075.
- 2011. Mammary gland stem cells: current status and future challenges. The International Journal of Developmental Biology 55:719–729. , , and .
- 2006. An integrated computational/experimental model of tumor invasion. Cancer Research 66:1597–1604. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Prediction of drug response in breast cancer using integrative experimental/computational modeling. Cancer Research 69:4484–4492. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Of cancer and cave fish. Nature Review Cancer 11:237–238.
- 2003. An evolutionary model of carcinogenesis. Cancer Research 63:6212–6220. , and .
- 2006. Acid-mediated tumor invasion: a multidisciplinary study. Cancer Research 66:5216. , , , , and .
- 2009. Adaptive therapy. Cancer Research 69:4894–4903. , , , and .
- 2010. How Darwinian models inform therapeutic failure initiated by clonal heterogeneity in cancer medicine. British Journal of Cancer 103:1139–1143. , and .
- 2012. Intratumor heterogeneity and branched evolution revealed by multiregion sequencing. The New England Journal of Medicine 366:883–892. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. The rise and fall of gatekeeper mutations? The BCR-ABL1 T315I paradigm. Cancer 118:293–299. , , , , and .
- 2012. Evolutionary dynamics of carcinogenesis and why targeted therapy does not work. Nature Reviews Cancer 12:487–493. , , and .
- 2009. Coevolution of telomerase activity and body mass in mammals: from mice to beavers. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 130:3–9. , and .
- 2012. Clonal evolution in cancer. Nature 481:306–313. , and .
- 2009. Immunogenic and tolerogenic cell death. Nature Review Immunology 9:353–363. , , , and .
- 2011. Hallmarks of cancer: the next generation. Cell 144:646–674. , and .
- 2009. The search for infectious causes of human cancers: where and why (Nobel lecture). Angewandte Chemie International Edition 48:5798–5808.
- 2011. Caspase 3-mediated stimulation of tumor cell repopulation during cancer radiotherapy. Nature Medicine 17:860–866. , , , , , , et al.
- International network of cancer genome projects. Nature 464:993–998.
- 2012. A race between tumor immunoescape and genome maintenance selects for optimum levels of (epi)genetic instability. PLoS Computational Biology 8:e1002370. , , and .
- 2006. Evolution of resistance during clonal expansion. Genetics 172:2557–2566. , , and .
- 2005. Drug resistance in cancer: principles of emergence and prevention. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102:9714–9719. , and .
- 2008. Integrated analysis of homozygous deletions, focal amplifications, and sequence alterations in breast and colorectal cancers. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:16224–16229. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Evolution of tumor invasiveness: the adaptive tumor microenvironment landscape model. Cancer Research 20:6327–6337. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Towards a multiscale model of colorectal cancer. World Journal of Gastroenterology: WJG 13:1399–1407. , , , and .
- 2012. Populational adaptive evolution, chemotherapeutic resistance and multiple anti-cancer therapies. Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00714274. , , , , and .
- 2012. Opening Pandora's Box – the new biology of driver mutations and clonal evolution in cancer as revealed by next generation sequencing. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development 22:3–9. , , and .
- 2006. Genetic clonal diversity predicts progression to esophageal adenocarcinoma. Nature Genetics 38:468–473. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The epithelial-mesenchymal transition generates cells with properties of stem cells. Cell 133:704–715. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Antitumor therapy based on cellular competition. Human Gene Therapy 20:728–738. , , , and .
- 2010. Tumor heterogeneity: causes and consequences. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA). Reviews on Cancer 1805:105–117. , and .
- 2012. Intra-tumour heterogeneity: a looking glass for cancer? Nature Reviews Cancer 12:323–334. , , and .
- 2011. ABC transporters associated with chemoresistance: transcriptional profiling in extreme cohorts, and their prognostic impact in a cohort of 281 AML patients. Haematologica 96:1293–1301. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The role of genetic diversity in cancer. Journal of Clinical Investigation 120:401–403. , and .
- 2006. Cancer as an evolutionary and ecological process. Nature Reviews Cancer 6:924–935. , , , and .
- 2008. Mathematical models of cancer stem cells. Journal of Clinical Oncology 26:2854–2861.
- 2005. Dynamics of chronic myeloid leukemia. Nature 435:1267–1270. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Stochastic dynamics of metastasis formation. Journal of Theoretical Biology 240:521–530. , , and .
- 1988. Dominance of a tumour subpopulation line in mixed heterogeneous mouse mammary tumours. Cancer Research 48:5747–5753. , , , and .
- 2008. Generation of breast cancer stem cells through epithelial-mesenchymal transition. PLoS ONE 3:e2888. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Inferring tumor progression from genomic heterogeneity. Genome Research 20:68–80. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Tumour evolution inferred by single-cell sequencing. Nature 472:90–95. , , , , , , et al.
- 1976. The clonal evolution of tumour cell populations. Science 194:23–28.
- 2006. Cell competition leads to a high level of normal liver reconstitution by transplanted fetal liver stem/progenitor cells. Gastroenterology 130:507–520. , , , and .
- 2010. A hybrid approach to multi-scale modelling of cancer. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 368:5013–5028. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Design and analysis issues in genome-wide mutation analysis studies of cancer. Genomics 93:17–21. , , , , , and .
- 1975. Cancer and ageing in mice and men. British Journal of Cancer 32:411–426. , , , , and .
- 2008. Ecological therapy for cancer: defining tumors using an ecosystem paradigm suggests new opportunities for novel cancer treatments. Translational Oncology 4:158–164. , , , and .
- 2009. Co-evolution of tumor cells and their microenvironment. Trends in Genetics 25:30–38. , , and .
- 2011. Biobanking residual tissues. Human Genetics 130:357–368. , and .
- 2010. A differentiation-based phylogeny of cancer subtypes. PLoS Computational Biology 6:e1000777. , , , , and .
- Natural resistance to cancers: a Darwinian hypothesis to explain Peto's paradox. BMC Cancer. , , , , , , and (in press)
- 1981. Methylation of reiterated sequences in mammalian DNAs. Effects of the tissue type, age, malignancy and hormonal induction. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 653:204–218. , and .
- 2008. Distinct tumor suppressor mechanisms evolve in rodent species that differ in size and lifespan. Aging Cell 7:813–823. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The cancer stem cell hypothesis: in search of definitions, markers and relevance. Laboratory Investigation 88:459–463. , and .
- 2006. The consensus coding sequences of human breast and colorectal cancers. Science 314:268–274. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Effects of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations on female fertility. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 279:2926–2929. , , , and .
- 2004. An error catastrophe in cancer? Journal of Theoretical Biology 228:47–54. , and .
- 2011. Modeling evolutionary dynamics of epigenetic mutations in hierarchically organized tumors. PLoS Computational Biology 7:e1001132. , , and .
- 2011. Accurate reconstruction of the temporal order of mutations in neoplastic progression. Cancer Prevention Research 4:1135–1144. , , and .
- 2010. A mathematical framework to determine the temporal sequence of somatic genetic events in cancer. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107:17604–17609. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Massive genomic rearrangement acquired in a single catastrophic event during cancer development. Cell 144:27–40. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Inference of tumor phylogenies from genomic assays on heterogeneous samples. Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology. doi: 10.1155/2012/797812. , , and .
- 2008. The androgen receptor and prostate cancer: a role for sexual selection and sexual conflict? Medical Hypotheses 70:435–443. , and .
- 2010. Xmrks the spot: life history tradeoffs, sexual selection and the evolutionary ecology of oncogenesis. Molecular Ecology 19:3022–3024. , and .
- 2006. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors. Cell 126:663–676. , and .
- 2010. Involvement of Lgl and Mahjong/VprBP in cell competition. PLoS Biology 8:e1000422. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. High Id1 expression is associated with poor prognosis in 237 patients with acute myeloid leukemia. Blood 114:2993–3000. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Common genetic evolutionary pathways in familial adenomatous polyposis tumors. Cancer Research 63:5731–5737. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Herpes simplex virus type 2 and cancer: a medical geography approach. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 11:1239–1242. , , , , and .
- 2012a. Incidence of adult brain cancers is higher in countries where the protozoan parasite Toxoplasma gondii is common. Biology Letters 8:101–103. , , , , , and .
- 2012b. Malignancies and high birthweight in human: which cancers could result from antagonistic pleiotropy? Journal of Evolutionary Medicine 1:5. , , , , and .
- 2010. An elementary approach to modeling drug resistance in cancer. Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering 7:905–918. , and .
- 1999. Selection, the mutation rate and cancer: ensuring that the tail does not wag the dog. Nature Medicine 5:11–12. , and .
- 2011. New mutations and pathogenesis of myeloproliferative neoplasms. Blood 118:1723–1735. , , , and .
- 2011. Tumor metastasis: molecular insights and evolving paradigms. Cell 147:275–292. , and .
- 2006. The population dynamics of cancer: a Darwinian perspective. International Journal of Epidemiology 35:1151–1159. , and .
- 2008. Cancer stem cells in solid tumours: accumulating evidence and unresolved questions. Nature Reviews Cancer 8:755–768. , and .
- 2012. Brain cancer mortality rates increase with Toxoplasma gondii seroprevalence in France. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 12:496–498. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The genomic landscapes of human breast and colorectal cancers. Science 318:1108–1113. , , , , , , et al.
- World Health Organization. (2008). Cancer fact sheet number 297. Available online at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297/en/index.html (accessed on 20 November 2008).
- 2006. Identification and validation of oncogenes in liver cancer using an integrative oncogenomic approach. Cell 125:1253–1267. , , , , , , et al.