Hybrid watermilfoil lineages are more invasive and less sensitive to a commonly used herbicide than their exotic parent (Eurasian watermilfoil)
Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 3, pages 462–471, April 2013
How to Cite
LaRue, E. A., Zuellig, M. P., Netherland, M. D., Heilman, M. A. and Thum, R. A. (2013), Hybrid watermilfoil lineages are more invasive and less sensitive to a commonly used herbicide than their exotic parent (Eurasian watermilfoil). Evolutionary Applications, 6: 462–471. doi: 10.1111/eva.12027
- Issue online: 28 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 21 SEP 2012
- National Science Foundation to RAT. Grant Number: DEB-0318553
- 1979. The biology of Canadian weeds. 34 Myriophyllum spicatum L. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 59:201–215. , , and
- 1954. Hybridization as an evolutionary stimulus. Evolution 8:378–388. , and
- 2010. Hybrid fitness across time and habitats. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25:530–536. , and
- 1999. Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Molecular Biology and Evolution 16:37–48. , , and
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B 57:289–300. , and
- 2003. Control of variable watermilfoil in Bashan lake, CT with 2,4-D: monitoring of lake and well water. Journal of Aquatic Plant Management 41:18–25. , , and
- 2000. Hybridization as a stimulus for the evolution of invasiveness in plants? Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 97:7043–7050. , and
- 2011. A unifying theory for general multigenic heterosis: energy efficiency, protein metabolism, and implications for molecular breeding. New Phytologist 189:923–937.
- 1990. Response of Eurasian watermilfoil to 2,4-D concentrations and exposure times. Journal of Aquatic Plant Management 28:27–32. , and
- 2002. Whole lake fluridone treatments for selective control of Eurasian watermilfoil: II Impacts on submersed plant communities. Lake and Reservoir Management 18:191–200. , , , and
- 2002. Evidence of hybridity in invasive watermilfoil (Myriophyllum) populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 99:14867–14871. , and
- 2007. Geographic distribution and genotypic composition of invasive hybrid watermilfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum × M. sibiricum) populations in North America. Biological Invasions 9:559–570. , and
- 2001. The use of 2,4-D for selective control of an early infestation of Eurasian watermilfoil in Loon lake, Washington. Journal of Aquatic Plant Management 39:117–125. , , , and
- 2003. On Steiner trees and minimum spanning trees in hypergraphs. Operational Research Letters 31:12–20. , and
- 2004. Small-plot, low-dose treatments of triclopyr for selective control of Eurasian watermilfoil. Lake and Reservoir Management 20:322–332. , , , , , and
- R Development Core Team 2011. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2007. Hybridization and the colonization of novel habitats by annual sunflowers. Genetica 129:149–165. , , , , , , and
- 2009. Hybridization and the evolution of invasiveness in plants and other organisms. Biological Invasions 11:1093–1105. , and
- 2009. Molecular characterization of Eurasian watermilfoil, northern milfoil, and the invasive interspecific hybrid in Michigan lakes. Journal of Aquatic Plant Management 47:128–135. , , , , , , et al.
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and United Stated Army Corp of Engineers ERDC 2011. Large-scale treatment research in Wisconsin. PUB- SS-1077-2011.
- 2012. Multiple introductions of invasive Eurasian watermilfoil and recurrent hybridization with native northern watermilfoil in North. Journal of Aquatic Plant Management 50:1–19. , and