These authors contributed equally to this work
Preventive Evolutionary Medicine of Cancers
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Special Issue: Evolution and Cancer
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 134–143, January 2013
How to Cite
Hochberg, M. E., Thomas, F., Assenat, E. and Hibner, U. (2013), Preventive Evolutionary Medicine of Cancers. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 134–143. doi: 10.1111/eva.12033
- Issue online: 21 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 30 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 OCT 2012
- 2012. Hepatitis C viral protein NS5A induces EMT and participates in oncogenic transformation of primary hepatocyte precursors. Journal of hepatology 57:1021–1028. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The tumour microenvironment as a target for chemoprevention. Nature Reviews Cancer 7:139–147. , and .
- 2004. Etiology of hormone receptor-defined breast cancer: A systematic review of the literature. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 13:1558–1568. , , , , , and .
- 2008. A synthetic lethal therapeutic approach: poly(ADP) ribose polymerase inhibitors for the treatment of cancers deficient in DNA double-strand break repair. Journal of Clinical Oncology 26:3785–3790. .
- 2005. Cancer and ageing: a nexus at several levels. Nature Rev Cancer 5:655–662. , and .
- 2011. Why don't we get more cancer? A proposed role of the microenvironment in restraining cancer progression Nature Medicine 17:320–329. , and .
- 2010. Accumulation of driver and passenger mutations during tumor progression. PNAS 107:18545–18550. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Mammography screening: time to reevaluate its impact? European Journal of Cancer Prevention 21:222–226. , and .
- 2012. et al. Analysis of the concordance in the EGFR pathway status between primary tumors and related metastases of colorectal cancer patients:implications for cancer therapy. Current Cancer Drug Targets 12:124–131. , , , , , ,
- 2010. Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibition as a model for synthetic lethality in developing radiation oncology targets. Seminars in Radiation Oncology 20:274–281. , , , and .
- 2011. Clonal selection in xenografted human T cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia recapitulates gain of malignancy at relapse. The Journal of Experimental Medicine 208:653–661. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Evolutionary biology of cancer. TRENDS in Ecology and Evolution 20:545–552. , and .
- 2012. Intermittent androgen suppression for rising PSA level after radiotherapy. The New England Journal of Medicine 367:895–903. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Links between metabolism and cancer. Gene Development 26:877–890. .
- 2011. DNA interstrand crosslink repair and cancer. Nature Reviews Cancer 11:467–480. , and .
- 2011. Evolved tumor suppression: why are we so good at not getting cancer? Cancer Research 71:3739–3744. .
- 1946. Genetics of natural populations; recombination and variability in populations of Drosophila pseudoobscura. Genetics 31:269–290. .
- 2004. The three Es of cancer immunoediting. Annual Review of Immunology 22:329–360. , , and .
- 2008. Adaptation to hypoxia and acidosis in carcinogenesis and tumor progression. Seminars in Cancer Biology 18:330–337. , , and .
- 2003. Cancer vaccines: between the idea and reality. Nature Rev Immun 3:630–641.
- 2004. Cancer without disease. Nature 427:785. , and .
- 2012. Nonheritable cellular variability accelerates the evolutionary process of cancer. PLoS Biology 10:e1001296. , and .
- 2008. Evidences of parasite evolution after vaccination. Vaccine 26:C4–C7. , and .
- 2012. Systematic identification of genomic markers of drug sensitivity in cancer cells. Nature 483:570–575. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Of cancer and cavefish. Nature Rev Can 11:237–238. .
- 2008. A microenvironmental model of carcinogenesis. Nature Reviews Cancer 8:56–61. , and .
- 2009. Lessons from applied ecology: Cancer control using an evolutionary double bind. Cancer Research 69:7499–7502. , , and .
- 2012. Intratumor heterogeneity and branched evolution revealed by multiregion sequencing. The New England Journal of Medicine 366:883–892. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Evolutionary dynamics of carcinogenesis and why targeted therapy does not work. Nature Reviews Cancer 12:487–493. , , and .
- 2012. Clonal evolution in cancer. Nature 481:306–313. , and .
- 2011. Hallmarks of cancer: the next generation. Cell 144:646–674. , and .
- 2004. Genetic epidemiology of cancer: from families to heritable genes. International Journal of Cancer 111:944–950. , , , and .
- 2012. Discovery of small molecule cancer drugs: successes, challenges and opportunities. Molecular Oncology 6:155–176. , , and .
- 2012. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2009 (Vintage 2009 Populations), National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2009_pops09/ (based on November 2011 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site, April 2012). , , , , , , et al. (eds).
- 2012. Systemic buffers inhibit carcinogenesis in TRAMP mice. Journal of Urology 188:624–631. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Competitive interactions between cells: death, growth, and geography. Science 324:1679–1682. .
- 2008. Comparative lesion sequencing provides insights into tumor evolution. PNAS 105:4283–4288. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Cancer overdiagnosis and overtreatment. Current Opinion in Urology 22:203–209. .
- 2005. Drug resistance in cancer: principles of emergence and prevention. PNAS 102:9714–9719. , and .
- 2010. Discontinuation of imatinib in patients with advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumours after 3 years of treatment: an open-label multicentre randomised phase 3 trial. The Lancet Oncology 11:942–949. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Genetic instabilities in human cancers. Nature 396:643–649. , , and .
- 2011. Human cancers express mutator phenotypes: origin, consequences and targeting. Nature Reviews Cancer 11:450–457. .
- 2004. Selectively advantageous mutations and hitchhikers in neoplasms: p16 lesions are selected in Barrett's esophagus. Cancer Research 64:3414–3427. , , and .
- 2011. Somatic evolution in neoplastic progression and cancer prevention. In R. C. Fitzgerald ed. Pre-Invasive Disease: Pathogenesis and Clinical Management, Pp. 111–117 Springer Science + Business Media, New York. , , and
- 2011. Projections of the cost of cancer care in the United States: 2010-2020. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 103:117–128. , , , , and .
- 2012. Global burden of cancers attributable to infections in 2008: a review and synthetic analysis. The Lancet Oncology 13:607–615. DOI:10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70137-7. , , and .
- 2012. Disease tolerance as a defense strategy. Science 335:936–941. , , and .
- 2012. Personalized cancer medicine - a strategy to counteract an increasing cancer challenge. Molecular Oncology 6:109–110. , , and .
- 2007. Breast cancer prevention in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation. Open Medicine 1:184–190. , and .
- 2012. Using genetically engineered mouse models to validate candidate cancer genes and test new therapeutic approaches. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 22:21–27. , and .
- 1994. Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase: a molecular nick-sensor. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 19:172–176. , and .
- 2011. Recent developments in cancer vaccines. J Immunology 186:1325–1331. , , and .
- 2010. Hereditary breast and ovarian cancer due to mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2. Genetics in Medicine 12:245–259. , , and .
- 2011. Anticancer targets in the glycolytic metabolism of tumors: a comprehensive review. Frontiers in Pharmacology 2:49. , , , , and .
- 2008. Animal defenses against infectious agents: is damage control more important than pathogen control? PLoS Biology 6:e1000004. , , and .
- 2011. The evolution of drug resistance and the curious orthodoxy of aggressive chemotherapy. PNAS 108 (Suppl 2):10871–10877. , , and .
- 2010. Barrett's oesophagus and oesophageal adenocarcinoma: time for a new synthesis. Nature Reviews Cancer 10:87–101. , , , and .
- 2012. Short-term effects of daily aspirin on cancer incidence, mortality, and non-vascular death: analysis of the time course of risks and benefits in 51 randomised controlled trials. Lancet 379:1602–1612. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Impact of intertumoral heterogeneity on predicting chemotherapy response of BRCA1-deficient mammary tumors. Cancer Research 72:2350–2361. , , , , , , . et al.
- 2011. Accurate reconstruction of the temporal order of mutations in neoplastic progression. Cancer Prevention Research (Philadelphia, Pa.) 4:1135–1144. , , and .
- 1987. Characterization of the protein product of bcl-2, the gene involved in human follicular lymphoma. Oncogene 2:3–7. , , and .
- 2010. Oral poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor olaparib in patients with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations and advanced breast cancer: a proof-of-concept trial. Lancet 376:235–244. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Modelling the spatial configuration of refuges for a sustainable control of pests: a case study of Bt cotton. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 16:378–387. , , , , and .
- 1993. The multistep nature of cancer. Trends in Genetics 9:138–141. , and .
- 2010. Advances in endoscopic imaging of colorectal neoplasia. Gastroenterology 138:2140–2150. , and .
- 2011. Residual embryonic cells as precursors of a Barrett's-like metaplasia. Cell 145:1023–1035. , , et al.
- 2010. Overdiagnosis in cancer. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 102:605–613. , and .
- 2007. Cell polarity in development and cancer. Nature Cell Biology 9:1016–1024. , and .
- 2011. An intermittent approach for cancer chemoprevention. Nature Reviews Cancer 11:879–885. , and .
- 2010. Distant metastasis occurs late during the genetic evolution of pancreatic cancer. Nature 467:1114–1117. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Sensitivity and acquired resistance of BRCA1;p53-deficient mouse mammary tumors to the topoisomerase I inhibitor topotecan. Cancer Research 70:1700–1710. , , , , , , et al.