Strong natural selection during plant restoration favors an unexpected suite of plant traits
Article first published online: 3 JAN 2013
© 2012 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 3, pages 510–523, April 2013
How to Cite
Kulpa, S. M. and Leger, E. A. (2013), Strong natural selection during plant restoration favors an unexpected suite of plant traits. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 510–523. doi: 10.1111/eva.12038
- Issue published online: 28 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 3 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 OCT 2012
- University of Nevada
- Nevada Agricultural Experiment Station
- 2006. Why are there so many small plants? Implications for species coexistence. Journal of Ecology 94:569–580. , , and
- 2002. Water relations of standard height and dwarf sunflower cultivars. Crop science 42:152–159. , and
- 2007. Resurrection ecology and global climate change research in freshwater ecosystems. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 26:12–22.
- 1976. The nature of limits to natural selection. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 63:224–247.
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection: applications. Evolution 38:720–734. , and
- 2003. Evolutionarily enlightened management. Biological Conservation 111:115–123. , , , , , and
- 2010. Habitat mediated size selection in endangered Atlantic salmon fry: selectional restoration assessment. Evolutionary Applications 3:352–362. , and
- 2007. Effect of seed size on seedling performance in a long-lived desert perennial shrub (Ericameria nauseosa: Asteraceae). International Journal of Plant Sciences 168:1027–1033. , and
- 2000. Age of maturity and life span in herbaceous, polycarpic perennials. The Botanical Review 66:311–349. , , and
- 2006. Seed provenance matters - effects on germination of four plant species used for ecological restoration. Basic and Applied Ecology 7:347–359. , , , and
- 2005. A reassessment of genetic limits to evolutionary change. Ecology 86:1371–1384. , and
- 1997. The effect of plant size on wheat response to agents of drought stress. I. Root drying. Functional Plant Biology 24:35–41. , and
- 1987. Restoration: an acid test for ecology. In W. R. Jordan, M. E. Gilpin, and J. D. Aber, eds. Restoration Ecology: A Synthetic Approach to Ecological Research, pp. 23–29. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2010. Small-mammal seed predation limits the recruitment and abundance of two perennial grassland forbs. Ecology 91:85–92. , , and
- 2008. Seed supply for broadscale restoration: maximizing evolutionary potential. Evolutionary Applications 1:587–597. , , , , , , and
- 2007. Brave New World: the epistatic foundations of natives adapting to invaders. Genetica 129:193–204.
- 1996. Demographic consequences of drought in the herbaceous perennial Cryptantha flava: effects of density, associations with shrubs, and plant size. Oecologia 106:144–152.
- 2004. Assessing frequency-dependent seed size selection: a field experiment. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 81:307–312. , , and
- 2007. What makes Great Basin sagebrush ecosystems invasible by Bromus tectorum? Ecological Monographs 77:117–145. , , , , and
- 1941. Regional differentiation in plant species. The American Naturalist 75:231–250. , , and
- 1980. Germination and size-dependent mortality in Viola blanda. Oecologia 47:115–117.
- 2008. What's new about old fields? Land abandonment and ecosystem assembly. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23:104–112. , , and
- 1992. Biological invasions by exotic grasses, the grass/fire cycle, and global change. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 23:63–87. , and
- 2011. Saving the sagebrush sea: An ecosystem conservation plan for big sagebrush plant communities. Biological Conservation 144:2573–2584. , , , , , and
- 1984. The effect of seed size and maternal source on individual size in a population of Ludwigia leptocarpa (Onagraceae). American Journal of Botany 71:1302–1307.
- 1984. Inheritance of seed size in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.). Euphytica 33:929–934. , , , and
- 2006. Examining post-wildfire reseeding on arid rangeland: a multivariate tobit modelling approach. Ecological modelling 192:286–298. , and
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton Univ Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Pearson Prentice Hall, England. , and
- 2012. Investigations of Physiological and Competitive Relationships of Elymus Species Related to Establishment in the Great Basin, USA. University of Nevada, Reno.
- 2007. Rapid evolution of flowering time by an annual plant in response to a climate fluctuation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104:1278–1282. , , and
- 2008. The resurrection initiative: storing ancestral genotypes to capture evolution in action. BioScience 58:870–873. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Restoration through reassembly: plant traits and invasion resistance. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:695–703. , , , and
- 2009. Contribution of direct and maternal genetic effects to life history evolution. New Phytologist 183:826–838. , , and
- 2003. Inheritance and natural selection on functional traits. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164:S21–S42. , and
- 1989. ‘Goldar’ Bluebunch Wheatgrass Public Release Documentation. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, ID , and
- 2011. Native perennial grasses show evolutionary response to Bromus tectorum (cheatgrass) invasion. PLoS ONE 6:e18145. , , and
- 1990. The effect of repeated cycles of selection on genetic variance, heritability, and response. TAG Theoretical and Applied Genetics 79:568–574. , and
- 1984. Effects of seed size and growth form on seedling establishment of six monocarpic perennial plants. The Journal of Ecology 72:369–387.
- 2006. Divergent selection on flowering time contributes to local adaptation in Mimulus guttatus populations. Evolution 60:2466–2477. , and
- 1992. Population demography of Pastinaca sativa (Apiaceae): effects of seed mass on emergence, survival, and recruitment. American Journal of Botany 79:365–375. , and
- 1991. Are seedlings from small seeds always inferior to seedlings from large seeds? Effects of seed biomass on seedling growth in Pastinaca sativa L. New Phytologist 119:299–305. , , , and
- 2003. Estimating natural selection acting on stream-dwelling Atlantic Salmon: implications for the restoration of extirpated populations. Conservation Biology 17:795–805. , , and
- 1942. Relations between climate and intraspecific variation in plants. The American Naturalist 76:5–22. , , and
- 2001. Restoration ecology: Repairing the Earth's ecosystems in the new millennium. Restoration Ecology 9:239–246. , and
- 2008. Detecting genetic responses to environmental change. Nature Reviews Genetics 9:421–432. , and
- 1995. Effects of selective seed predation by rodents on shortgrass establishment. Ecological Applications 5:200–208. , , and
- 1991. The effects of seed weight on growth and competitive ability of Rumex acetosella from two successional old-fields. Oecologia 86:236–242. , and
- 2003. Plant ecotypes: genetic differentiation in the age of ecological restoration. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:147–155. , and
- 2002. Seedling survival from locally and commercially obtained seeds on two semiarid sites. Restoration Ecology 10:88–95. , and
- 2010. Limitations to postfire seedling establishment: the role of seeding technology, water availability, and invasive plant abundance. Rangeland Ecology & Management 63:491–495. , and
- 2012. The red queen and the seed bank: pathogen resistance of ex situ and in situ conserved barley. Evolutionary Applications 5:353–367. , , , and
- 1998. Viewpoint: the present status and future prospects of squirreltail research. Journal of Range Management 51:326–331.
- 2003. The restoration gene pool concept: beyond the native vs. non-native debate. Restoration Ecology 11:281–290.
- 1998. Integrating genetic concepts into planning rangeland seedings. Journal of Range Management 51:594–606. , and
- 2005. Status and use of important native grasses adapted to sagebrush communities. USDA Forest Service Proceedings RMRS-P-38. USDA Forest Service Rocky Mountain Station, Fort Collins, CO. , and
- 2004a. Registration of Toe Jam Creek bottlebrush squirreltail germplasm. Crop science 44:1880–1881. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004b. Registration of Fish Creek bottlebrush squirreltail germplasm. Crop science 44:1879–1880. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. The American Naturalist 157:245–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum L) dominance in the Great Basin Desert: History, persistence, and influences to human activities. Global Environmental Change 6:37–52.
- 2010. Identifying Barriers to Successful Establishment of Post-fire Seeding in the Great Basin. Reno, NV, USA. University of Nevada, Reno.
- 2005. Restoration of degraded tropical forest landscapes. Science 310:1628–1632. , , and
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and
- 2008. The adaptive value of remnant native plants in invaded communities: an example from the Great Basin. Ecological Applications 18:1226–1235.
- 2009. Genetic variation and local adaptation at a cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum) invasion edge in western Nevada. Molecular Ecology 18:4366–4379. , , , and
- 2008. A meta-analysis of local adaptation in plants. PLoS ONE 3:e4010. , and
- 1994. The role of seed size in seedling establishment in dry soil conditions–experimental evidence from semi-arid species. Journal of Ecology 82:249–258. , and
- 1999. Ecological genetics and the restoration of plant communities: mix or match? Restoration Ecology 7:42–50. , and
- 1996. Desert Rodents in Disturbed Shrub Communities and Their Effects on Plant Recruitment: Wild Land Shrub and Arid Land Restoration Symposium: Proceedings. Vol. 30. Intermountain Research Station, Ogden, UT.
- 1997. Inheritance of seed size in chickpea. Journal of Genetics and Breeding 51:45–50. , , and
- 2006. Rebuilding community ecology from functional traits. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:178–185. , , , and
- 1991. Ecological genetic variation in seed banks I. Establishment of a time transect. The Journal of Ecology 79:617–625. , , and
- 2005. “How Local Is Local?”—A Review of Practical and Conceptual Issues in the Genetics of Restoration. Restoration Ecology 13:432–440. , , , and
- 2007. Climate change and forests of the future: managing in the face of uncertainty. Ecological Applications 17:2145–2151. , , and
- 1998. Natural selection on two seed-size traits in the common morning glory Ipomoea purpurea (Convolvulaceae): patterns and evolutionary consequences. The American Naturalist 152:188–203.
- 2011. Meta-analysis of phenotypic selection on flowering phenology suggests that early flowering plants are favoured. Ecology Letters 14:511–521. , , , and
- 2005. The Analysis of Means: A Graphical Method for Comparing Means, Rates and Proportions. Vol. 18. Society for Industrial Mathematics, Philadelphia. , , and
- 2002. The costs of reproduction in plants. New Phytologist 155:321–348.
- 2002. Seed size, number, and habitat of a fleshy-fruited plant: consequences for seedling establishment. Ecology 83:794–808.
- 1999. Seed mass, seedling emergence, and environmental factors in seven rain forest Psychotria (Rubiaceae). Ecology 80:1594–1606. , , and
- 2006. Life history variation in an annual plant under two opposing environmental constraints along an aridity gradient. Ecography 29:66–74. , , , , and
- 1985. Phenological patterns of terrestrial plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16:179–214. , and
- 2003. Managing microevolution: restoration in the face of global change. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 1:469–478. , and
- 2008. Effects of competition and life history stage on the expression of local adaptation in two native bunchgrasses. Restoration Ecology 16:12–23. , and
- 1991. Ecological genetics of Bromus tectorum. I. A hierarchical analysis of phenotypic variation. Oecologia 1:77–83. , and
- 1998. Use of native plants on federal lands: policy and practice. Journal of Range Management 51:625–632. , , and
- 1987. Maternal effects in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 18:209–235. , and
- 2011. Competitive seedlings and inherited traits: a test of rapid evolution of Elymus multisetus (big squirreltail) in response to cheatgrass invasion. Evolutionary Applications 4:485–498. , and
- 2000. Variation in seed traits of Lobelia inflata (Campanulaceae): sources and fitness consequences. American Journal of Botany 87:124–132. , and
- 1974. The optimal balance between size and number of offspring. American Naturalist 108:499–506. , and
- 1971. Adaptive radiation of reproductive characteristics in angiosperms, II: seeds and seedlings. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 2:237–260.
- 1922. The genotypical response of the plant species to the habitat. Hereditas 3:211–350. .
- 2006. Two major genes for seed size in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Euphytica 147:311–315. , , , and
- [USDI BLM] United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management. 2007. Burned Area Emergency Stabilization and Rehabilitation Handbook (public). U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management Manual Handbook H-1742-1, Washington D.C. Western Regional Climate Center. http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nv2573 for station Elko WB Airport. (accessed on 13 January 2010).
- 1994. Removal of wind-dispersed pine seeds by ground-foraging vertebrates. Oikos 69:125–132.
- 1992. Size-number trade-offs and the variation of seed size with plant resource status. American Naturalist 140:287–304.
- 2005. Early emergence enhances plant fitness: a phylogenetically controlled meta-analysis. Ecology 86:1385–1394. , and
- 1966. Inheritance of seed size in sorghum, Sorghum vulgare Pers. Crop science 6:582–586. , , and
- 2006. Summer dormancy in perennial temperate grasses. Annals of botany 98:927–933. , and
- 2001. Is local provenance important in habitat creation? Journal of Applied Ecology 38:1371–1373.
- 1988. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of seed size in Prunella vulgaris. Ecology 69:1537–1544.
- 1978. Population dynamics after wildfires in sagebrush grasslands. Journal of Range Management 31:283–289. , and