Costs of crowding for the transmission of malaria parasites
Article first published online: 11 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 4, pages 617–629, June 2013
How to Cite
Pollitt, Laura. C., Churcher, T. S., Dawes, E. J., Khan, S. M., Sajid, M., Basáñez, M.-G., Colegrave, N. and Reece, S. E. (2013), Costs of crowding for the transmission of malaria parasites. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 617–629. doi: 10.1111/eva.12048
- Issue published online: 21 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 11 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 13 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUN 2012
- European Commission FP7. Grant Number: HEALTH-F3-2008-223736
- Medical Research Council
- University of Edinburgh
- EU COST. Grant Number: BM802
- 2010. Hydric stress-dependent effects of Plasmodium falciparum infection on the survival of wild-caught Anopheles gambiae female mosquitoes. Malaria Journal 9:243–254. , , , , , , and
- 2005. Anopheles infection responses; laboratory models versus field malaria transmission systems. Acta Tropica 95:285–291. , , , and
- 2002. Apoptosis in the malaria protozoan, Plasmodium berghei: a possible mechanism for limiting intensity of infection in the mosquito. International Journal for Parasitology 32:1133–1143. , , and
- 1999. The effect of Plasmodium yoelii nigeriensis infection on the feeding persistance of Anopheles stephensi Liston through the sporogonic cycle. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 266:1729–1733. , , and
- 2009. Malaria ookinetes exhibit multiple markers for apoptosis-like programmed cell death in vitro. Parasites and Vectors 2:32–47. , , , , and
- 2009. Onchocerca-Simulium interactions and the population and evolutionary biology of Onchocerca volvulus. Advances in Parasitology 68:263–313. , , and
- 2010. Bridging the gap between ecology and evolution: integrating density regulation and life-history evolution. Annals of the New York Accademy of Science 1206:17–34. , , , , , and
- 2005. Ecology: From Individuals to Ecosystems, 4th Edition. Blackwell Publishing Co, Oxford. , , and
- 1993. Malaria sporozoites: survival, transmission and disease control. Parasitology today 9:210–215.
- 1994. Relationship between prevalence and intensity of Plasmodium falciparum infection in natural populations of Anopheles mosquitoes. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygene 51:260–270. , , , and
- 2000. The ecology of “crowding”. Journal of Parasitology 86:212–213. and
- 1997. Effects of Plasmodium yoelii nigeriensis infection on Anopheles stephensi egg development and resorption. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 11:265–269. , and
- 2009. A potent malaria transmission blocking vaccine based on codon harmonized full length Pfs48/45 expressed in Escherichia coli. PLoS ONE 4:e6352. , , , and
- 2010. Population biology of malaria within the mosquito: density-dependent processes and potential implications for transmission-blocking interventions. Malaria Journal 9:311–321. , , , , , and
- 2012. Measuring the blockade of malaria transmission – An analysis of the standard membrane feeding assay. International Journal for Parasitology 42:1037–1044. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Mosquito immune defenses against Plasmodium infection. Developmental and Comparative Immunology 34:387–395. , , , , and
- 2006. Anopheles and Plasmodium: from the laboratory models to natural systems in the field. EMBO report 7:1285–1289. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009a. Anopheles mortality is both age- and Plasmodium-density dependent: implications for malaria transmission. Malaria Journal 8:228–243. , , , , and
- 2009b. The temporal dynamics of Plasmodium density through the sporogonic cycle within Anopheles mosquitoes. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 103:1197–1198. , , , and
- 2011. Bridging scales in the evolution of infectious disease life histories: theory. Evolution 65:3448–3461. , , and
- 1988. Density-dependence in parasite transmission dynamics. Parasitology Today 4:91–97.
- 2002. Genome expression analysis of Anopheles gambiae: responses to injury, bacterial challenge, and malaria infection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science U.S.A. 99:8814–8819. , , , , , , and
- 2010. Cost of co-infection controlled by infectious dose combinations and food availability. Oecologia 162:935–940. , and
- 2002a. Genetic and environmental determinants of malaria parasite virulence in mosquitoes. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 269:1217–1224. , and
- 2002b. Why is the effect of malaria parasites on mosquito survival still unresolved? Trends in Parasitology 18:256–261. , and
- 1993. Infectivity of Plasmodium vivax and P. falciparum to Anopheles tessellatus; relationship between oocyst and sporozoite development. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 87:3–6. , , , , , and
- 1964. Prognosis for interruption of malaria transmission through assessment of the mosquito's vectorial capacity. Nature 204:1173–1175.
- 2010. Reducing Plasmodium falciparum malaria transmission in Africa: a model-based evaluation of intervention strategies. PLoS Medicine 7:e1000324. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Anopheline mosquitoes and the agents they transmit. In B. J. Beaty, and W. C. Marquardt, eds. The Biology of Disease Vectors, The University Press of Colorado, Niwot, Colorado. , and
- 2002. Implications of Time Bomb model of ookinete invasion of midgut cells. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 32:1311–1316. , and
- 2009. An age-structured model to evaluate the potential of novel malaria-control interventions: a case study of fungal biopesticide sprays. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 276:71–80. , , and
- 2005. Evaluating the costs of mosquito resistance to malaria parasites. Evolution 59:2560–2572. , , , , and
- 1985. In vitro formation of ookinetes and functional maturity of Plasmodium berghei gametocytes. Parasitology 91:19–29. , , , , , and
- 2009. Kinetics of mosquito-injected Plasmodium sporozoites in mice: fewer sporozoites are injected into sporozoite-immunized mice. PLoS Pathogens 5:e1000399. , , and
- 1999. An evolutionary view on the interactions between anopheline mosquitoes and malaria parasites. Microbes and Infection 1:303–308.
- 1998. The malaria parasite, Plasmodium falciparum, increases the frequency of multiple feeding of its mosquito vector, Anopheles gambiae. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 265:763–768. , , and
- 2006. Environmental influence on the genetic basis of mosquito resistance to malaria parasites. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 273:1501–1506. , , , and
- 2011. Impact of daily temperature fluctuations on dengue virus transmission by Aedes aegypti. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science U.S.A. 108:7460–7465. , , , , , , and
- 2007. The role of metacaspase 1 in Plasmodium berghei development and apoptosis. Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology 153:41–47. , , and
- 2010. The relative importance of host characteristics and co-infection in generating variation in Heligmosomoides polygyrus fecundity. Parasitology 137:1003–1012. , , , , and
- 1967. The Theory of Island Biogeography. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ. , and
- 1957. The Epidemiology and Control of Malaria. Oxford University Press, London.
- 2008. Virulence evolution in response to vaccination: the case of malaria. Vaccine 26:c42–c52. , , and
- 1997. Mixed-species Plasmodium infections of Anopheles (Dipetera:Culidae). Journal of Medical Entomology 34:417–425. , and
- 1993. Heterogeneity in patterns of malarial oocyst infections in the mosquito vector. Parasitology 106:441–449. , , , , , and
- 2009. Anopheles gambiae PGRPLC-mediated defense against bacteria modulates infections with malaria parasites. PLoS Pathogens 5:e1000542. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Infection intensity-dependent responses of Anopheles gambiae to the African malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. Infection and Immunity 79:4708–4715. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Linking within- and between-host disease dynamics. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23:511–517. , , and
- 2011. Bridging scales in the evolution of infectious disease life histories: application. Evolution 65:3298–3310. , , , , , and
- 2007. Transmission-blocking activity induced by malaria vaccine candidates Pfs25/Pvs25 is a direct and predictable function of antibody titer. Malaria Journal 6:107–119. , , , , , and
- 1991. Density- dependent natural-selection and trade-offs in life-history traits. Science 253:433–435. , , and
- 2012. Warmer temperatures reduce the vectorial capacity of malaria mosquitoes. Biology Letters 8:465–468. , , , and
- 2010. Investigating the evolution of apoptosis in malaria parasites: the importance of ecology. Parasites and Vectors 3:105–117. , , , , and
- 2011. Competition and the evolution of reproductive restraint in malaria parasites. American Naturalist 177:358–367. , , , , , and
- 2009. Egress of Plasmodium berghei gametes from their host erythrocyte is mediated by the MDV-1/PEG3 protein. Cellular Microbiology 11:1272–1288. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Sex and death: the effects of innate immune factors on the sexual reproduction of malaria parasites. PLoS Pathogens 7:e1001309. , , , , and
- 2008. Sex ratio adjustment and kin discrimination in malaria parasites. Nature 453:609–615. , , and
- 2011. The meaning of death: evolution and ecology of apoptosis in protozoan parasites. PLoS Pathogens 7:e1002320. , , , and
- 1990. Plasmodium falciparum infection does not increase the precocious mortality rate of Anopheles gambiae. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 84:346–347. , , and
- 2010. Hemocyte differentiation mediates innate immune memory in Anopheles gambiae mosquitoes. Science 329:1353–1355. , , , , and
- 2008. Virulence-transmission trade-offs and population divergence in virulence in a naturally occuring butterfly parasite. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:7489–7494. , , and
- 1897. On some peculiar pigmented cells found in two mosquitos fed on malarial blood. British Medical Journal 18:1786–1788.
- 2006. Self-harm caused by an insect's innate immunity Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 273:2571–2574. , and
- 2005. Evolutionary ecology of insect immune defenses. Annual Review of Entomology 50:529–551.
- 2012. Virulence, drug sensitivity and transmission succes in the rodent malaria, Plasmodium chabaudi. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 279:4677–4685. , , , , , , et al.
- 1945. An investigation into the number of sporozoites found in the salivary glands of Anopheles mosquitoes. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 38:493–498.
- 2007. Progression of Plasmodium berghei through Anopheles stephensi is density-dependent. PLoS Pathogens 3:e195. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Statics and dynamics of malaria infection in Anopheles mosquitoes. Malaria Journal 3:13–26. , and
- 2008. Ecological immunology of mosquito-malaria interactions. Trends in Parasitology 24:219–227. , , and
- 1992. Population dynamics of Plasmodium falciparum sporogony in laboratory-infected Anopheles gambiae. The Journal of Parasitology 78:716–724. , , and
- 2012. Plasmodium decreases fecundity and increases survival in mosquitoes. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 279:4033–4041. , , , and
- 1992. Effect of Plasmodium falciparum on blood feeding behavior of naturally infected Anopheles mosquitoes in western Kenya. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 47:484–488. , , and
- 2006. Social evolution theory for microoganisms. Nature Reviews Microbiology 4:597–607. , , , and
- 2011. Adaptive divergence between incipient species of Anopheles gambiae increases resistance to Plasmodium. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108:244–249. , , , , , , et al.