K.L. and S.B. share equal first co-authorship.
Parallel changes of taxonomic interaction networks in lacustrine bacterial communities induced by a polymetallic perturbation
Version of Record online: 18 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 4, pages 643–659, June 2013
How to Cite
Laplante, K., Sébastien, B. and Derome, N. (2013), Parallel changes of taxonomic interaction networks in lacustrine bacterial communities induced by a polymetallic perturbation. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 643–659. doi: 10.1111/eva.12050
- Issue online: 21 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUN 2012
- National Sciences and Engineering Council of Canada
- Collaborative Research and Training Experience Program
- 1997. Universal and rapid salt-extraction of high genomic DNA for PCR-based techniques. Nucleic Acids Research 25:4692–4693. , and
- 2011. Biased gene transfer in microbial evolution. Nature Reviews Microbiology 9:543–55. , and
- 2009. Molecular and functional assessment of bacterial community convergence in metal-amended soils. Microbial Ecology 58:10–22. , , , and
- 1997. Comparison of the effect of Cu, Pb and As on plant residue decomposition microbial biomass and soil respiration. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition. 43:613–622. , and
- 2003. Thinking and decision making, bacterial style: Bacterial Neural Networks, Obernai, France. Molecular Microbiology 47:583–593. , , , , , and
- 2012. Using network analysis to explore co-occurrence patterns in soil microbial communities. ISME Journal 6:343–351. , , , and
- 2010. Towards an assessment of multiple ecosystem processes and services via functional traits. Biodiversity and Conservation 19:2873–2893. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Activity of abundant and rare bacteria in a coastal ocean. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108:12776–12781. , , , and
- 2003. Évolution de la qualité de l'eau dans les mines abandonnées du bassin ferrifère lorrain. De l'expérimentation en laboratoire à la modélisation in situ, Thèse de l'INPL, Nancy.
- 2011. Composition Influences the Pathway but not the Outcome of the Metabolic Response of Bacterioplankton to Resource Shifts. PLoS ONE 6:e25266. , and
- 2009. Bacterial community variation in human body habitat across space and time. Science 326:1694. , , , , , and
- 1993. Response of metallothionein concentrations in a freshwater bivalve (Anodonta grandis) along an environmental cadmium gradient. Limnology and Oceanography 38:299–313. , , and
- 2002. Mining in the Alligator Rivers Region, northern Australia: assessing potential and actual effects on ecosystem and human health. Toxicology 181/182:505–15. Review. , , and
- 2010. Microbial communities acclimate to recurring changes in soil redox potential status. Environmental Microbiology 12:3137–3149. , , , and
- 2009. Metagenomic approach studying the taxonomic and functional diversity of the bacterial community in a mesotrophic lake (Lac du Bourget-France). Environmental Microbiology 11:2412–2424. , , , , , and
- 2007. The effects of heavy metal pollution on genetic diversity in zinc/cadmium hyperaccumulator Sedum alfredii populations. Plant and Soil 297:83–92. , , , , , and
- 2006. The transcriptomics of ecological convergence between 2 limnetic coregonine fishes (Salmonidae). Molecular Biology and Evolution 23:2370–2378. , and
- 2006. Parallelism in gene transcription among sympatric lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis Mitchill) ecotypes. Molecular Ecology 15:1239–1249. , , and
- 1988. Theory of marine communities: the intermediate disturbance hypothesis. Ecology 79:1412–1424. , and
- 1979. Effect of lead on soil respiration and dehydrogenase activity. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 11:475–479. , and
- 2004. Mercury hazards from gold mining to humans, plants, and animals. Review of Environmental Contamination Toxicology 181:139–98.
- 2005. Impacts on microbial communities and cultivable isolates from groundwater contaminated with high levels of nitric acid–uranium waste. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 53:417–428. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Biological diversity, ecosystems, and the human scale. Ecological Applications 6:1018–1024. , , and
- 2003. Steady-state distribution of metals among metallothionein and other cytosolic ligands and links to cytotoxicity in bivalves living along a polymetallic gradient. Aquatic Toxicology 64:185–200. , , , , , , and
- 2006. Sub-cellular partitioning of cadmium, copper, nickel and zinc in indigenous yellow perch (Perca flavescens) sampled along a polymetallic gradient. Aquatic Toxicology 77:178–189. , , , and
- 1998. Toxicity of heavy metals to microorganisms and microbial processes in agricultural soils: a review. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 30:1389–1414. , , and
- 2006. Linking soil process and microbial ecology in freshwater wetland ecosystems. Plant and Soil 289:17–34. , , and
- 2001. Biodiversity of acidophilic prokaryotes. Advanced Applied Microbiology 49:37–84. , and
- 2003. Novel acidophiles isolated from moderately acidic mine drainage waters. Hydrometallurgy 71:139–148. , and
- 1984. The acidophilic Thiobacilli and other acidophilic bacteria that share their habitat. Annual Review of Microbiology 38:265–292.
- 2000. Acidisphaera rubrifaciens gen. nov., sp. nov., an aerobic bacteriochlorophyll-containing bacterium isolated from acidic environments. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 50:1539–1546. , , , and
- 1991. Ferric iron reduction by acidophilic heterotrophic bacteria. Applied Environmental Microbiology 57:207–211. , and
- 2001. Isolation and phylogenetic characterization of acidophilic microorganisms indigenous to acidic drainage waters at an abandoned Norwegian copper mine. Environmental Microbiology 3:630–637. , , , and
- 1996. Influence of heavy metals on the functional diversity of soil microbial communities. Biology and Fertility of Soils 23:299–306. , , and
- 2000. Structure and function of the soil microbial community in microhabitats of a heavy metal polluted soil. Biology and Fertility of Soils 32:390–400. , , , , , , and
- 2004. Ecological constraints on diversification in a model adaptive radiation. Nature 431:984–988. , , and
- 1998. Effects of heavy metal contamination and remediation on soil microbial communities in the vicinity of a zinc smelter. Journal of Environmental Quality 27:609–617. , and
- 1999. Changes in soil microbial communities over time resulting from one time application of zinc: a laboratory microcosm study. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 31:1445–1465. , , and .
- 2009. What is microbial community ecology? ISME Journal 3:1223–1230.
- 1999. Microbial reduction of Fe(III) in acidic sediments: isolation of Acidiphilium cryptum JF-5 capable of coupling the reduction of Fe(III) to the oxidation of glucose. Applied Environmental Microbiology 65:3633–3640. , , , and
- 2002. Microbial reduction of Fe(III) in the presence of oxygen under low pH conditions. Environmental Microbiology 4:414–421. , , and
- 2011. Parallel changes in the taxonomical structure of bacterial communities exposed to a similar environmental disturbance. Ecology and Evolution 1:489–501. , and
- 2010. Bacterial charity work leads to population-wide resistance. Nature 467:82–86. , , , and
- 2005. UniFrac: a new phylogenetic method for comparing microbial communities. Applied Environmental Microbiology 71:8228–8235. , and
- 2004. Contribution of SAR11 bacteria to dissolved dimethylsulfoniopropionate and amino acid uptake in the North Atlantic Ocean. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70:4129–4135. , , , and
- 1999. Biotic homogenization: a fiew winners replacing many losers in the next mass extinction. TREE 14:450–453. , and
- 2007. Phylogenetic ecology of the freshwater Actinobacteria acI lineage. Applied Environmental Microbiology 73:7169–7176. , , , and
- 2011. A guide to the natural history of freshwater lake bacteria. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 75:14–49. , , , , and
- 1999. Microbial heavy-metal resistance. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 51:730–750.
- 2009. Biodiversity in microbial communities: system scale patterns and mechanisms. Molecular Ecology 18:1455–62. , , , and
- 2010. Functional biogeography as evidence of gene transfer in hypersaline microbial communities. PLoS ONE 5:e12919. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Phospholipid fatty acid composition and heavy metal tolerance of soil microbial communities along two heavy metal-polluted gradients in coniferous forests. Applied Environmental Microbiology 62:420–428. , , , and
- 2010. Microbial community structure and denitrification in a wetland mitigation bank. Applied Environmental Microbiology 76:4207–4215. , , and
- 2012. Testing the limits of 454 pyrotag sequencing: reproducibility, quantitative assessment and comparison to T-RFLP fingerprinting of aquifer microbes. PLoS ONE 7:e40467. , , , and
- 2006. Community ecology as a framework for predicting contaminant effects. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21:606–613. , , and
- 2009. Introducing Mothur: open-source, platform-independent, community-supported software for describing and comparing microbial communities. Applied Environmental Microbiology 75:7537–41. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2011. Beyond the Venn diagram: the hunt for a core microbiome. Environmental Microbiology 14:4–12. , and
- 2008. Conjugative transfer of the IncP-7 carbazole degradative plasmid, pCAR1, in river water samples. Biotechnology Letters 30:117–122. , , , , and
- 2009. Horizontal gene transfer and mobile genetic elements in marine systems. Methods in Molecular Biology 532:435–453. , and
- 2007. Effects of differing temperature management on development of Actinobacteria populations during composting. Research in Microbiology 158:617–624. , , , , and
- 2004. Microbial community structure and activity in arsenic, chromium and copper contaminated soils. FEMS Microbiology and Ecology 47:39–50. , , and
- 2002. Exploiting the genetic and biochemical capacities of bacteria for the remediation of heavy metal pollution. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 26:327–338. , and
- 2003. Subcellular compartimentalization of Cd and Zn in two bivalves. 1. Significance of metal-sensitive fractions (MSF) and biologically detoxified metal (BDM). Marine Ecological Progress Series 249:183–197. , , and
- 2005. A similarity measure based on species proportions. Commun Stat-Theory Methods 34:2123–2131. , and
- 1999. Biostatistical Analysis, 4th ed. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ. 662 pp., plus appendices.
- 2011. Lateral gene transfer. Current Biology 21:242–246. , and