Spatiotemporal SNP analysis reveals pronounced biocomplexity at the northern range margin of Atlantic cod Gadus morhua
Article first published online: 11 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 4, pages 690–705, June 2013
How to Cite
Therkildsen, N. O., Hemmer-Hansen, J., Hedeholm, R. B., Wisz, M. S., Pampoulie, C., Meldrup, D., Bonanomi, S., Retzel, A., Olsen, S. M. and Nielsen, E. E. (2013), Spatiotemporal SNP analysis reveals pronounced biocomplexity at the northern range margin of Atlantic cod Gadus morhua. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 690–705. doi: 10.1111/eva.12055
- Issue published online: 21 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 11 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 23 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2012
- 2000. Mitochondrial cytochrome b DNA sequence variation of Atlantic cod from Iceland and Greenland. Journal of Fish Biology 56:409–430. , , , , and
- 2011. Molecular spandrels: tests of adaptation at the genetic level. Nature Reviews Genetics 12:767–780. , and
- 2004. Identifying adaptive genetic divergence among populations from genome scans. Molecular Ecology 13:969–980. , and
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 263:1619–1626. , and
- 2011. The coupling hypothesis: why genome scans may fail to map local adaptation genes. Molecular Ecology 20:2044–2072. , , , , and
- 2008. Ice-age survival of Atlantic cod: agreement between palaeoecology models and genetics. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 275:163–173. , , , , , and
- 2010. Integrating the markers Pan I and haemoglobin with the genetic linkage map of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). BMC Research Notes 3:261. , , , and
- 2011. An integrated approach to gene discovery and marker development in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Marine Biotechnology 13:242–255. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Parallel adaptive evolution of Atlantic cod on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean in response to temperature. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 277:3725–3734. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Fluctuations in the occurrence of cod in Greenland waters and their possible causes. ICES Marine Science Symposia. 198:158–174. , , and
- 2011. The pace of shifting climate in marine and terrestrial ecosystems. Science 334:652–655. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Intraspecific phylogeographic genomics from multiple complete mtDNA genomes in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua): origins of the “Codmother,” transatlantic vicariance and midglacial population expansion. Genetics 180:381–389. , and
- 2011. Rapid range shifts of species associated with high levels of climate warming. Science 333:1024–1026. , , , , and
- 2010. Using environmental correlations to identify loci underlying local adaptation. Genetics 185:1411–1423. , , and
- 2008. Enhanced Bayesian modelling in BAPS software for learning genetic structures of populations. BMC Bioinformatics 9:539. , , , and
- 2005. The response of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) to future climate change. ICES Journal of Marine Science 62:1327–1337.
- 2009. Comparison of the response of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) in the high-latitude regions of the North Atlantic during the warm periods of the 1920s–1960s and the 1990s–2000s. Deep-Sea Research Part II 56:2087–2096.
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:564–567. , and
- 2009. Detecting loci under selection in a hierarchically structured population. Heredity 103:285–298. , , and
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and
- 1997. Genetic divergence at the synaptophysin (Syp I) locus among Norwegian coastal and north-east Arctic populations of Atlantic cod. Journal of Fish Biology 51:895–908. , and
- 2008. A genome-scan method to identify selected loci appropriate for both dominant and codominant markers: a Bayesian perspective. Genetics 180:977–993. , and
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology 17:167–178. , , , , and
- 2005. GENELAND: a computer package for landscape genetics. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:712–715. , , and
- 1949. Studies on the biology of the cod in Greenland waters. Rapports et Procès-Verbaux des Réunions du Conseil International pour l'Éxploration de la Mer 123:1–77.
- 2008. Paradigm shifts in marine fisheries genetics: ugly hypotheses slain by beautiful facts. Fish and Fisheries 9:333–362. , and
- 2011. Identification of single nucleotide polymorphisms in candidate genes for growth and reproduction in a nonmodel organism; the Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua. Molecular Ecology Resources 11:71–80. , , , and
- 2003. Biocomplexity and fisheries sustainability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 100:6564–6568. , , , and
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptation. Nature 470:479–485. , and
- 2000. A review of the cod fisheries at Greenland, 1910-1995. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science 28:1–109.
- 2010. Development of a SNP resource and a genetic linkage map for Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). BMC Genomics 11:191. , , , and
- ICES 2011. Report of the North Western Working Group (NWWG), 26 April – 3 May 2011, ICES Headquarters, Copenhagen.
- 1939. Theory of Probability. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 2008. Adegenet: a R package for the multivariate analysis of genetic markers. Bioinformatics 24:1403–1405.
- 2010. Discriminant analysis of principal components: a new method for the analysis of genetically structured populations. BMC Genetics 11:94. , , and
- 2011. Limited potential for adaptation to climate change in a broadly distributed marine crustacean. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 279:349–356. , , and
- 2006. Relative performance of Bayesian clustering software for inferring population substructure and individual assignment at low levels of population differentiation. Conservation Genetics 7:295–302. , , , and
- 2003. The power and promise of population genomics: from genotyping to genome typing. Nature Reviews Genetics 4:981–994. , , , , and
- 2008. Identification and characterisation of novel SNP markers in Atlantic cod: evidence for directional selection. BMC Genetics 9:18. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Genomic signatures of local directional selection in a high gene flow marine organism; the Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). BMC Evolutionary Biology 9:276. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Gene-associated markers provide tools for tackling illegal fishing and false eco-certification. Nature Communications 3:851. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Divergent selection and heterogeneous genomic divergence. Molecular Ecology 18:375–402. , , and
- 2007. Microsatellite variation in cod Gadus morhua throughout its geographic range. Journal of Fish Biology 70:310–335. , , , , and
- 2006. The genetic structure of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) around Iceland: insight from microsatellites, the Pan I locus, and tagging experiments. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:2660–2674. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Neutral and nonneutral genetic markers revealed the presence of inshore and offshore stock components of Atlantic cod in Greenland waters. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 140:307–319. , , , , , and
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. , and
- 2006. Long-term stability and effective population size in North Sea and Baltic Sea cod (Gadus morhua). Molecular Ecology 15:321–331. , , , , and
- 2011. Microgeographical population structure and adaptation in Atlantic cod Gadus morhua. Marine Ecology Progress Series 436:231–243. , , and
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and
- 2005. Long-term variability of growth and recruitment of cod (Gadus morhua) off Greenland. ICES Journal of Marine Science 62:1310–1321. , and
- 1999. Variation in growth and recruitment of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) off Greenland during the second half of the twentieth century. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science 25:161–170. , , and
- 2011. Detection of outlier loci and their utility for fisheries management. Evolutionary Applications 5:39–52. , , and
- 2001. Stability in the historical pattern of genetic structure of Newfoundland cod (Gadus morhua) despite the catastrophic decline in population size from 1964 to 1994. Conservation Genetics 2:257–269. , , , and
- 2006. CHIFISH: a computer program testing for genetic heterogeneity at multiple loci using chi-square and Fisher's exact test. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:285–287.
- 2010. Population diversity and the portfolio effect in an exploited species. Nature 465:609–612. , , , , , , and
- 2011. The genome sequence of Atlantic cod reveals a unique immune system. Nature 477:207–210. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Warming periods off Greenland during 1800-2005: their potential influence on the abundance of cod (Gadus morhua) and haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus) in Greenlandic waters. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science 39:1–20.
- 2007. Combining population genomics and quantitative genetics: finding the genes underlying ecologically important traits. Heredity 100:158–170. , and
- 2003. Statistical significance for genomewide studies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 100:9440–9445. , and
- 2004. Stock structure of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) in West Greenland waters: implications of transport and migration. ICES Journal of Marine Science 61:972–982. , , , and
- 2005. Using genome scans of DNA polymorphism to infer adaptive population divergence. Molecular Ecology 14:671–688.
- Microevolution in time and space: SNP analysis of historical DNA reveals dynamic signatures of selection in Atlantic cod. Molecular Ecology. , , , , , , et al. (in press).
- 2010a. Does DNA extraction affect the physical and chemical composition of historical cod (Gadus morhua) otoliths? ICES Journal of Marine Science 67:1251–1259. , , , , and
- 2010b. Large effective population size and temporal genetic stability in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 67:1585–1595. , , , and
- 2005. Genomic islands of speciation in Anopheles gambiae. PLoS Biology 3:e285. , , and
- 1998. Separating the wheat from the chaff: patterns of genetic differentiation in high gene flow species. Journal of Heredity 89:438–450.
- 2006. What is a population? An empirical evaluation of some genetic methods for identifying the number of gene pools and their degree of connectivity. Molecular Ecology 15:1419–1439. , and
- 2003. The genetics package. R News 3:9–13.
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and
- 2008. Mixed stock analysis and the power of different classes of molecular markers in discriminating coastal and oceanic Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.) on the Lofoten spawning grounds, Northern Norway. Hydrobiologia 606:7–25. , , , and
- 2002. Distribution and drift of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) eggs and larvae in Greenland offshore waters. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science 30:61–76. , and