Jointly directed the work.
Crop-to-wild gene flow and spatial genetic structure in the closest wild relatives of the cultivated apple
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 5, pages 737–748, July 2013
How to Cite
Cornille, A., Gladieux, P. and Giraud, T. (2013), Crop-to-wild gene flow and spatial genetic structure in the closest wild relatives of the cultivated apple. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 737–748. doi: 10.1111/eva.12059
- Issue online: 17 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 SEP 2012
- 2003. Evidence for gene flow via seed dispersal from crop to wild relatives in Beta vulgaris (Chenopodiaceae): consequences for the release of genetically modified crop species with weedy lineages. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B: Biological Sciences 270:1565–1571. , , , and
- 2011. Gene flow between wheat and wild relatives: empirical evidence from Aegilops geniculata, Ae. neglecta and Ae. triuncialis. Evolutionary Applications 4:685–695. , , , , , and
- 2007. Bayesian clustering algorithms ascertaining spatial population structure: a new computer program and a comparison study. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:747–756. , , , and
- 2003. Genetic variation in the endangered wild apple (Malus sylvestris (L.) Mill.) in Belgium as revealed by amplified fragment length polymorphism and microsatellite markers. Molecular Ecology 12:845–857. , , et al.
- 2006. Chloroplast diversity in the genus Malus: new insights into the relationship between the European wild apple (Malus sylvestris (L.) Mill.) and the domesticated apple (Malus domestica Borkh.). Molecular Ecology 15:2171–2182. , , , , and
- 2013. Post-glacial recolonization history of the European crabapple (Malus sylvestris Mill.), a wild contributor to the domesticated apple. Molecular Ecology doi:10.1111/mec.12231. in press. , , et al.
- 2012. New insight into the history of domesticated apple: secondary contribution of the European wild apple to the genome of cultivated varieties. PLoS Genetics 8:e1002703. , , et al.
- 2012. Genetic diversity of wild grapevine populations in Spain and their genetic relationships with cultivated grapevines. Molecular Ecology 21:800–816. , , et al.
- 2011. Gene flow among wild and domesticated almond species: insights from chloroplast and nuclear markers. Evolutionary Applications 5:317–329. , , et al.
- 2007. Natural hybridization between a clonally propagated crop, cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) and a wild relative in French Guiana. Molecular Ecology 16:3025–3038. , , , and
- 1992. Gene flow by pollen: implications for plant conservation genetics. Oikos 63:77–86.
- 2003. Current knowledge of gene flow in plants: implications for transgene flow. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B: Biological Sciences 358:1163–1170.
- 2005. Dangerous Liaisons?: When Cultivated Plants Mate With Their Wild Relatives. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD, 244 pp.
- 1999. Gene flow and introgression from domesticated plants into their wild relatives. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 30:539–563. , , and
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:564–567. , and
- 2008. Cereal breeding takes a walk on the wild side. Trends in Genetics 24:24–32. , , and
- 2003. Possible effects of (trans)gene flow from crops on the genetic diversity from landraces and wild relatives. Environmental Biosafety Research 2:89–103. , and
- 2010. Evolution of the population structure of Venturia inaequalis, the apple scab fungus, associated with the domestication of its host. Molecular Ecology 19:658–674. , , et al.
- 2012. Genome-wide single nucleotide polymorphism analysis reveals recent genetic introgression from domestic pigs into Northwest European wild boar populations. Molecular Ecology 22:856–866. , , et al.
- 2002. SPAGeDI: a versatile computer program to analyse spatial genetic structure at the individual or population levels. Molecular Ecology Notes 2:618–620. , and
- 2012. Genomic regions in crop–wild hybrids of lettuce are affected differently in different environments: implications for crop breeding. Evolutionary Applications 5:629–640. , , et al.
- 2012. Islands and streams: clusters and gene flow in wild barley populations from the Levant. Molecular Ecology 21:1115–1129. , , et al.
- 1999. Late Quaternary extinction of a tree species in eastern North America. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 96:13847–13852. , and
- 2009. Natural distribution and variability of the wild apple (Malus sylvestris) in Belgium. Belgian Journal of Botany 142:39–49. , , , , and
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23:1801–1806. , and
- 2006. The Story of the Apple. Timber Pressm, Portland. , and .
- 2011. The computer program STRUCTURE does not reliably identify the main genetic clusters within species: simulations and implications for human population structure. Heredity 106:625–632.
- 2007. Domesticated nature: shaping landscapes and ecosystems for human welfare. Science 316:1866–1869. , , , and
- 2012. Long-distance gene flow and adaptation of forest trees to rapid climate change. Ecology Letters 15:378–392. , , et al.
- 2012. Gene Flow, Spatial Structure, Local Adaptation, and Assisted Migration in Trees – Genomics of Tree Crops, pp. 71–116. Springer, New York. , , et al.
- 2009. Pollen mediated gene flow in a native population of Malus sylvestris and its implications for contemporary gene conservation management. Conservation Genetics 10:1637–1646. , and
- 2006. Hybridization and genetic variation in Danish populations of European crab apple (Malus sylvestris). Tree Genetics and Genomes 2:86–97. , , , , and
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17:183–189.
- 1991. Plant diseases and the use of wild germplasm. Annual Review of Phytopathology 29:35–63. , and
- 1995. Spatial genetic structure of a tropical understory shrub, Psychotria officinalis (Rubiaceae). American Journal of Botany 82:1420–1425. , , , and
- 2011. From forest to field: perennial fruit crops domestication. American Journal of Botany 98:1389–1414. , and
- 2000. Field evaluation of seed production, shattering, and dormancy in hybrid populations of transgenic rice (Oryza sativa) and the weed, red rice (Oryza sativa). Plant Science 157:13–22. , , , , and
- 2005) Gene flow and introgression between domesticated crops and their wild relatives. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on the Role of Biotechnology for the Characterisation and Conservation of Crop, Forestry, Animal and Fishery Genetic Resources, Turin, Italy. (
- 2009. Development and test of 21 multiplex PCRs composed of SSRs spanning most of the apple genome. Tree Genetics and Genomes 5:211–223. , , et al.
- 2009. Geographical genetics and the conservation of forest trees. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 11:157–189.
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and
- 2009. Genetic diversity and population structure in Malus sieversii, a wild progenitor species of domesticated apple. Tree Genetics and Genomes 5:339–347. , , et al.
- 2008. Genepop'007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for Windows and Linux. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:103–106.
- 2011. Genetic diversity, structure, gene flow and evolutionary relationships within the Sorghum bicolor wild–weedy–crop complex in a western African region. TAG Theoretical and Applied Genetics 123:1231–1246. , , et al.
- 2011. Transgenic biotechnology in forestry: what a long strange trip it's been. BMC Proceedings 5:I25. .
- 2008. ADZE: a rarefaction approach for counting alleles private to combinations of populations. Bioinformatics 24:2498–2504. , , and
- 1997. Seed banks and molecular maps: unlocking genetic potential from the wild. Science 277:1063–1066. , and
- 2011. A mechanistic model to predict transgenic seed contamination in bee-pollinated crops validated in an apple orchard. Ecological Modelling 222:2084–2092. , , and
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and
- 2004. New insights from fine-scale spatial genetic structure analyses in plant populations. Molecular Ecology 13:921–935. , and
- 2010. The genome of the domesticated apple (Malus x domestica Borkh.). Nature Genetics 42:833–839. , , et al.
- 2008. Genetic diversity and disease resistance of wild Malus orientalis from Turkey and Southern Russia. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 133:383–389. , , et al.
- 2004. Molecular genetic assessment of the potential for gene escape in strawberry, a model perennial study crop. In H. C. M. den Nijs, D. Bartsch, and J. Sweet, eds. Introgression From Genetically Modified Plants into Wild Relatives, pp. 75–88. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK. , , , , , and
- 2007. Genetic structure of Malus sieversii population from Xinjiang, China, revealed by SSR markers. Journal of Genetics and Genomics 34:947–955. , , et al.