Evolution and spread of glyphosate resistance in Conyza canadensis in California
Article first published online: 11 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 5, pages 761–777, July 2013
How to Cite
Okada, M., Hanson, B. D., Hembree, K. J., Peng, Y., Shrestha, A., Stewart, C. N., Wright, S. D. and Jasieniuk, M. (2013), Evolution and spread of glyphosate resistance in Conyza canadensis in California. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 761–777. doi: 10.1111/eva.12061
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 11 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 AUG 2012
- USDA-NIFA-AFRI. Grant Number: 2010-85320-20415
- 1968. Genetics of inbreeding populations. Advances in Genetics 14:55–131. , , and
- 1983. Crop mimicry in weeds. Economic Botany 37:255–282.
- 2000. Why glyphosate is a global herbicide: strengths, weaknesses and prospects. Pest Management Science 56:299–308.
- 2002. Approximate Bayesian computation in population genetics. Genetics 162:2025–2035. , , and
- 2012. Genetic structure among arable populations of Capsella bursa-pastoris is linked to functional traits and in-field conditions. Ecography 35:446–457. , , , , and
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Statistical Methodology 57:289–300. , and
- 2010. ABC as a flexible framework to estimate demography over space and time: some cons, many pros. Molecular Ecology 19:2609–2625. , , and
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation (CADPR) 2004. A better way to protect groundwater. Consumer fact sheets. http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/grndwtr/factsheet.pdf (accessed on 22 August 2012).
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation (CADPR) 2009. Pesticide use reporting. http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/pur/pur09rep/09_pur.htm (accessed on 22 August 2012).
- 2007. Evolution on ecological time-scales. Functional Ecology 21:387–393. , , , and
- 1993. A unified approach to study hypervariable polymorphisms: statistical considerations of determining relatedness and populations distances. EXS 67:153–175. , and
- 2003. Effects of inbreeding on the genetic diversity of populations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences 358:1051–1070.
- 2003. The effects of genetic and geographic structure on neutral variation. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 34:99–125. , , and
- 2004. Adaptability of plants invading North American cropland. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 104:379–398. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Inferring population history with DIY ABC: a user-friendly approach to approximate Bayesian computation. Bioinformatics 24:2713–2719. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Inference on population history and model checking using DNA sequence and microsatellite data with the software DIYABC (v1.0). BMC Bioinformatics 11:401. , , and
- 2007. Temporal and spatial dynamics of long-distance Conyza canadensis seed dispersal. Journal of Applied Ecology 44:105–114. , , and
- 2009a. Conyza canadensis seed ascent in the lower atmosphere. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149:526–534. , , , , , and
- 2009b. Effects of landscape composition on spread of an herbicide-resistant weed. Landscape Ecology 24:735–747. , , and
- 2009. Growth and seed production of horseweed (Conyza canadensis) populations resistant to glyphosate, ALS-inhibiting, and multiple (glyphosate + ALS-Inhibiting) herbicides. Weed Science 57:494–504. , , , , and
- 2010. Geographical variation in resistance to acetyl-coenzyme A carboxylase-inhibiting herbicides across the range of the arable weed Alpecurus myosuroides (black-grass). New Phytologist 186:1005–1017. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Microsatellite analyser (MSA): a platform independent analysis tool for large microsatellite data sets. Molecular Ecology Notes 3:167–169. , and
- 1987. A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small amounts of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochemical Bulletin 19:11–15. , and
- 2008. Glyphosate: a once-in-a-century herbicide. Pest Management Science 64:319–325. , and
- 2010. Reconstructing routes of invasion using genetic data: why, how and so what? Molecular Ecology 19:4113–4130. , and
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and
- 2005. PHYLIP (Phylogeny Inference Package) Version 3.6. Distributed by the author. Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- 2007. A Markov chain Monte Carlo approach for joint inference of population structure and inbreeding rates from multilocus genotype data. Genetics 176:1635–1651. , , and
- 2001. Detection of reduction in population size using data from microsatellite loci. Molecular Ecology 10:305–318.Direct Link:, and
- 2002. FSTAT: a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 188.8.131.52). http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.htm (accessed on 17 April 2012).
- 2005. Rapid evolution and the convergence of ecological and evolutionary time. Ecology Letters 8:1114–1127. , , , , and
- 1996. Effects of life history traits on genetic diversity in plant species. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences 351:1291–1298. , and
- 2009. Distribution of glyphosate-resistant horseweed (Conyza canadensis) and relationship to cropping systems in the Central Valley of California. Weed Science 57:48–53. , , and
- 2012. The International survey of herbicide resistant weeds. www.weedscience.com (accessed on 17 August 2012).
- 1996. The evolution and genetics of herbicide resistance in weeds. Weed Science 44:176–193. , , and .
- 2004. Whither California Agriculture: Up, Down, or Out? Some Thoughts about the Future. Special Report Series, Giannini Foundation of Agricultural Economics, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA. http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/4232w2sr (accessed on 17 May 2012). , and
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23:1801–1806. , and
- 1990. Predicting the evolution and dynamics of herbicide resistance in weed populations. Weed Technology 4:2–13. , , and
- Molecular Ecology Resources Primer Development Consortium 2009. Permanent genetic resources added to molecular ecology resources database 1 January 2009–30 April 2009. Molecular Ecology Resources 9:1375–1429.
- 1978. Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a number of individuals. Genetics 89:538–590.
- 1987. Molecular Evolutionary Genetics. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 2009. Evolutionary-thinking in agricultural weed management. New Phytologist 184:783–793. , , and
- 2000. Linkage disequilibrium, gene trees and selfing: an ancestral recombination graph with partial self-fertilization. Genetics 154:923–929.
- 2000. Biogeographical and evolutionary insights on Erigeron and allies (Asteraceae) from ITS sequence data. Plant Systematics and Evolution 220:93–114.
- 2008. Weed species shifts in glyphosate-resistant crops. Pest Management Science 64:377–387.
- 2011. Towards large-scale prediction of Lolium rigidum emergence. II. Correlation between dormancy and herbicide resistance levels suggests an impact of cropping systems. Weed Research 51:133–141. , , , , and .
- 2001. Trypanotolerance in West African Cattle and the Population Genetic Effects of Selection. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Dublin.
- 2007. Introduction history of Drosophila subobscura in the New World: a microsatellite based survey using ABC methods. Molecular Ecology 16:3069–3083. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Environmental and economic costs of nonindigenous species in the United States. BioScience 50:53–65. , , , and
- 2005. Update on the environmental and economic costs associated with alien-invasive species in the United States. Ecological Economics 52:273–288. , , and
- 2006. Genetic differentiation of neutral markers and quantitative traits in predominantly selfing metapopulations: confronting theory and experiments with Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetical Research 87:1–12. , , and
- 2008. Evolved glyphosate-resistant weeds around the world: lessons to be learnt. Pest Management Science 64:360–365.
- 2010. Evolution in action: plants resistant to herbicides. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61:317–347. , and
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 1555:945–959. , , and
- 2010. Documentation for structure software: version 2.3. http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu (accessed on 5 December 2012). , , and
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Development Core Team, Vienna, Austria.
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 94:9197–9201. , and
- 2004. DISTRUCT: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Molecular Ecology Resources 4:137–138.
- 2001. Empirical evaluation of genetic clustering methods using multilocus genotypes from 20 chicken breeds. Genetics 159:699–713. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Growth stage influences level of resistance in glyphosate-resistant horseweed. California Agriculture 61:67–70. , , and
- 2008. How multilocus genotype pattern helps to understand the history of selfing populations: a case study in Medicago truncatula. Heredity 100:517–525. , , , and
- 2011. Contrasting demographic history and population structure in Capsella rubella and Capsella grandiflora, two closely related species with different mating systems. Molecular Ecology 20:3306–3320. , , , , and .
- 2001. Computational and experimental analysis of microsatellites in rice (Oryza sativa L.): frequency, length variation, transposon associations, and genetic marker potential. Genome Research 11:1441–1452. , , , , , and
- 2001. Glyphosate-resistant horseweed from Delaware. Weed Science 49:703–705.
- 2001. The biology of Canadian weeds. 115. Conyza canadensis. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 81:867–875.
- Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) 1998. “Herbicide resistance” and “herbicide tolerance” defined. Weed Technology 12:789.
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and
- 2004. Inheritance of evolved glyphosate resistance in Conyza canadensis (L.) Cronq. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 110:58–70. , , and
- 2010. The invasion route of an insect pest species: the tobacco aphid in the New World. Molecular Ecology 19:4738–4752. , , , , , , et al.