Effects of harvesting of increasing intensities on genetic diversity and population structure of white spruce
Article first published online: 18 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 5, pages 778–794, July 2013
How to Cite
Fageria, M. S. and Rajora, O. P. (2013), Effects of harvesting of increasing intensities on genetic diversity and population structure of white spruce. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 778–794. doi: 10.1111/eva.12064
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 18 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 FEB 2013
- Canada Research Chair Program. Grant Number: CRC950-201869
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council. Grant Number: RGPIN 170651
- 1998. Impact of alternative regeneration methods on genetic diversity in coastal Douglas-fir. Forest Science 44:390–396. , , , and .
- 1987. Genetic diversity and population structure of Picea glauca on an altitudinal gradient in interior Alaska. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 17:1519–1526. , and .
- 2001. Easypop (Version 1.7): a computer program for population genetics simulations. Journal of Heredity 92:301–302.
- 2008. Protocol: a high-throughput DNA extraction system suitable for conifers. Plant Methods 4:20. , and .
- 2003. Are old-growth forests from the Abitibi region an important reservoir of genetic diversity for white spruce in Quebec? Proceedings of the Symposium of the North American Forest Commission, Forest Genetic Resources and Silviculture Working Groups, and the International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO), Quebec City, Canada, September 21, 2003, pp. 51–66. , , and .
- 2000. Genetic diversity and the survival of populations. Plant Biology 2:379–395. , , , , and .
- 1997. Effects of harvesting on genetic diversity in old-growth eastern white pine in Ontario, Canada. Conservation Biology 11:747–758. , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic diversity and differentiation in European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) stands varying in management history. Forest Ecology and Management 247:98–106. , , , , and .
- 2011. Effects of selective logging on the mating system and pollen dispersal of Hymenaea courbaril L. (leguminosae) in the Eastern Amazon as revealed by microsatellite analysis. Forest Ecology and Management 262:1758–1765. , , , , , , and .
- 1967. Phylogenetic analysis: models and estimation procedures. American Journal of Human Genetics 19:233–257. , and .
- 2007. Impacts of selective logging on inbreeding and gene dispersal in a Amazonian tree population of Carapa guianensis Aubl. Molecular Ecology 16:797–809. , , , and .
- 1984. Group selection for a polygenic behavioural trait: estimating the degree of population subdivision. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 81:6073–6077. , and .
- 2003. Genetic evaluation of alternative silvicultural systems in coastal montane forests: western hemlock and amabilis fir. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 107:598–610. , , and .
- 2004. Inferring Phylogenies. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 2004. Genetic implications of silvicultural regimes. Forest Ecology and Management 197:231–244. , and .
- 1995. FSTAT version 1.2: a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486.
- 2003a. Effects of native forest regeneration practices on genetic diversity in Eucalyptus consideniana. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 107:422–431. , , and .
- 2003b. Impacts of silviculture on genetic diversity in the native forest species Eucalyptus sieberi. Conservation Genetics 4:275–287. , , and .
- 1992. Effect of stand origin on the genetic diversity of Norway spruce (Picea abies Karst.) populations. Forest Ecology and Management 54:215–223.
- 2006. Forest floor microbial communities in relation to stand composition and timber harvesting in northern Alberta. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38:2565–2575. , , and .
- 2001. Development of microsatellite markers for white spruce (Picea glauca) and related species. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 102:1252–1258. , , , , , , and .
- 1979. Native Trees of Canada. Fitzhenry and Whiteside Ltd, Don Mills, ON.
- 2006. Effect of variable-retention harvesting on soil nitrogen availability in boreal mixedwood forests. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 36:3029–3038. , , and .
- 2004. Soils of the Ecosystem Management Emulating Natural Disturbance (EMEND) experimental area, northwestern Alberta. Nat. Resour. Can., Can. For. Serv., North. For. Cent., Edmonton, Alberta. Inf. Rep. NOR-X-397.
- 2003. Impacts of alternative silviculture systems on mating systems and genetic diversity of Forest tree species. Proceedings of the Symposium of the North American Forest Commission, Forest Genetic Resources and Silviculture Working Groups, and the International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO), Quebec City, Canada, September 21, 2003, pp. 75–87. , and .
- 1983. The relation of growth to heterozygosity in pitch pine. Evolution 37:1227–1238. , , and .
- 2009.Spruce and aspen regeneration following variable retention harvests at EMEND. Sustainable Forest Management Network Research Note Series No. 41. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Genetic structure, diversity, and inbreeding of eastern white pine under different management conditions. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 37:2652–2662. , , , and .
- 2007. Adaptive gradients and isolation-by-distance with postglacial migration in Picea sitchensis. Heredity 99:22–24. , and .
- 2008. Scanning the genome for gene single nucleotide polymorphisms involved in adaptive population differentiation in white spruce. Molecular Ecology 17:3599–3613. , , , , and .
- 1985. Genetic implications of shelterwood regeneration of Douglas-fir in southwestern Oregon. Forest Science 31:995–1005.
- 1985. The mating system in natural and shelter wood stands in Douglas-fir. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 71:201–207. , and .
- 1978. Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a small number of individuals. Genetics 89:583–590.
- 1975. The bottleneck effect and genetic variability in populations. Evolution 29:1–10. , , and .
- 2009. Impact of selective logging on genetic diversity of two tropical tree species with contrasting breeding systems using direct comparison and simulation methods. Forest Ecology and Management 257:107–116. , , and .
- 1990. Picea glauca (Moench) Voss. White spruce. In R. M. Burns, and B. H. Honkala, eds. Silvics of North America. Vol. 1. Conifers, pp. 204–226. U.S. Department of Agriculture Handb. 654. United States Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC, USA. , and .
- 2006. Impacts of forest fragmentation on the mating system and genetic diversity of white spruce (Picea glauca) at the landscape level. Heredity 97:418–426. , , and .
- 2007. Extensive long-distance pollen dispersal in a fragmented landscape maintains genetic diversity in white spruce. Journal of Heredity 98:640–645. , , and .
- 2004. Micro-checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2006. GENALEX6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2001. Genetic diversity and mating system of post-fire and post-harvest black spruce: an investigation using co dominant sequence-tagged-site (STS) markers. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 31:32–40. , and .
- 1999. Genetic biodiversity impacts of silvicultural practices and phenotypic selection in white spruce. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 99:954–961.
- 2000. Population genetic structure, variation, and evolution of Engelmann spruce, white spruce and their putative natural hybrid complex in Alberta. Canadian Journal of Botany 78:768–780. , and .
- 2001a. Challenges and opportunities for conservation of forest genetic resources. Euphytica 118:197–212. , and .
- 2001b. Molecular markers in conservation, restoration and sustainable management of forest genetic resources. In G. Muller-Starck, and R. Schubert, eds. Genetic Response of Forest Systems to Changing Environmental Conditions. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. Forestry Sciences 70:187–201. , and .
- 2003. Genetic diversity impacts of forest fires, forest harvesting and alternative reforestation practices in black spruce (Picea mariana). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 106:1213–1224. , and .
- 2000. Microsatellite analysis of genetic effects of harvesting in old-growth eastern white pine (Pinus strobus) in Ontario, Canada. Molecular Ecology 9:339–348. , , , and .
- 2001. Isolation, characterization, inheritance and linkage of microsatellite DNA markers in white spruce (Picea glauca) and their usefulness in other spruce species. Molecular and General Genetics 264:871–882. , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic diversity and population structure of boreal white spruce (Picea glauca) in pristine conifer-dominated and mixed-wood forest stands. Canadian Journal of Botany 83:1096–1105. , , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP version 1.2: population genetics software for the exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145:1219–1228.
- 1997. Ground vegetation competition and heterogeneity in pure Norway spruce and mixed Norway spruce-birch stands. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 27:2034–2042. , , , , and .
- SAS Institute Inc. 2001. SAS System for Windows, Release 8.11. SAS Institute, Inc. Cary, NC.
- 2007. An assessment of heterozygosity and fitness in Chir pine (Pinus roxburghii Sarg.) using isozymes. New Forests 34:153–162. , , , and .
- 1993. Isolation by distance in equilibrium and non-equilibrium populations. Evolution 47:264–279.
- 2010. Seed tree density, variable retention, and stand composition influence recruitment of white spruce in boreal mixedwood forests. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 40:1821–1832. , , , , and .
- 2012a. The interaction between retention harvests and natural regeneration. EMEND Insights #1. p. 6. , , and .
- 2012b. Factors affecting white spruce and aspen survival after partial harvest. Journal of Applied Ecology. 49:145–154. , , , , and .
- 1998. Dispersal of white spruce seed in mature aspen stands. Canadian Journal of Botany 76:181–188. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Effects of reforestation methods on genetic diversity of lodgepole pine: an assessment using microsatellite and randomly amplified polymorphic DNA markers. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 98:793–801. , , , , and .
- 1989. Genetic structure of marginal populations of white spruce as its northern limit of distribution in Nouveau-Quebec. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 19:1371–1379. , and .
- 1992. Dispersal of white spruce seed on Willow Island in interior Alaska. Research Paper, PNW-RP-443. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. p. 17. , and .