Juxtaposition between host population structures: implications for disease transmission in a sympatric cervid community
Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 7, pages 1001–1011, November 2013
How to Cite
Vander Wal, E., Edye, I., Paquet, P. C., Coltman, D. W., Bayne, E., Brook, R. K. and Andrés, J. A. (2013), Juxtaposition between host population structures: implications for disease transmission in a sympatric cervid community. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 1001–1011. doi: 10.1111/eva.12065
- Issue online: 9 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 OCT 2012
- Park Canada Agency (RMNP)
- University of Saskatchewan
- University of Alberta
- University of Manitoba
- Manitoba Conservation
- PrioNet Canada
- Alberta Co-operative Conservation Research Unit
- Louisiana-Pacific Inc.
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- 2002. Development of microsatellite DNA markers for the automated genetic characterization of white-tailed deer populations. The Journal of Wildlife Management 66:67–74. , , , , , , et al.
- 1968) Notes on the vegetation of Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba, National Parks Forest Survey No. 2. Department of Forestry and Rural Development, Ottawa, ON, Canada. (
- 2005. Diet composition, forage selection, and potential for forage competition among elk, deer, and livestock on aspen-sagebrush summer range. Rangeland Ecology & Management 58:135–147. , and
- 2010. The landscape genetics of infectious disease emergence and spread. Molecular Ecology 17:3515–3531. , and
- 2006. Changes in artificial feeding regulations impact white-tailed deer fine-scale spatial genetic structure. The Journal of Wildlife Management 70:1037–1043. , , , and
- 2007. TB-infected deer are more closely related than non-infected deer. Biology Letters 3:104–106. , , , and
- 2008. Landscape genetics and the spatial distribution of chronic wasting disease. Biology Letters 4:130–133. , , , , , and
- 2008. Elk-Agriculture Conflicts in the Greater Riding Mountain Ecosystem: Building Bridges between the Natural and Social Sciences to Promote Sustainability. University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada.
- 2009. Historical review of elk interactions with agriculture around Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba, Canada. Human-Wildlife Conflicts 3:72–87.
- 2006. Factors influencing farmers' concerns regarding bovine tuberculosis in wildlife and livestock around Riding Mountain National Park. Journal of Environmental Management 80:156–166. doi:10.1016/j.jenvman.2005.08.022. , and
- 2009. Transdisciplinary habitat models for elk and cattle as a proxy for bovine tuberculosis transmission risk. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 91:197–208. doi:10.1016/j.prevetmed.2009.05.021. , and
- 2012. Use of cattle winter feeding areas by elk and white-tailed deer: implications for managing bovine tuberculosis transmission risk from the ground up. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 108:137–147. , , and
- 2003. Forest stand structure and dynamics at Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba, Canada. Community Ecology 4:185–204. , and
- 2004. Intranasal administration of xylazine to reduce stress in elk captured by net gun. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 40:562–565. , , , , and
- 1983. Graphical Methods for Data Analysis. Chapman and Hall, New York, NY. , , , and
- 2005. Landscape structure and plague occurrence in black-tailed prairie dogs on grasslands of the western USA. Landscape Ecology 20:941–955. doi:10.1007/s10980-005-4617-5. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Fine-scale genetic structure and social organization in female white-tailed deer. Journal of Wildlife Management 69:332–344. doi:10.2193/0022-541X(2005)069<0332:FGSASO>2.0.CO;2. , , , ,
- 2008. Infectious disease in cervids of North America. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1134:146–172. , , , and
- 1997. Monetary and intangible valuation of deer in the United States. Wildlife Society Bulletin 25:298–305.
- 2008. Enhanced Bayesian modelling in BAPS software for learning genetic structures of populations. BMC Bioinformatics 9:539. , , , and
- 2004. Ecological impacts of deer overabundance. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 35:113–147. , , , , and
- 2012. Genetic structure and rabies spread potential in raccoons: the role of landscape barriers and sex-biased dispersal. Evolutionary Applications: no. 5:393–404 , , , , and
- 2009. Differential permeability of rivers to raccoon gene flow corresponds to rabies incidence in Ontario, Canada. Molecular Ecology 18:43–53. , , , , and
- 2011a. Broad and fine-scale genetic analysis of white-tailed deer populations: estimating the relative risk of chronic wasting disease spread. Evolutionary Applications 4:116–131. , , , , , and
- 2011b. Multiscale population genetic analysis of mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus hemionus) in western Canada sheds new light on the spread of chronic wasting disease. Canadian Journal of Zoology 89:134–147. doi:10.1139/Z10-104. , , , , , and
- 2000. Emerging infectious diseases of wildlife-threats to biodiversity and human health. Science 287:443–449. , , and
- 1985. Survival of Mycobacterium bovis in defined environmental conditions. Veterinary Microbiology 10:193–197. doi:10.1016/0378-1135(85)90021-5. , and
- 1994. Historical biogeography and contemporary patterns of mitochondrial DNA variation in white-tailed deer from the southeastern United States. Evolution 48:122–136. , , , , and
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:564–567. doi:10.1111/j.1755-0998.2010.02847.x. , and
- 2002. Parasite transmission: reconciling theory and reality. Journal of Animal Ecology 71:893–905. , , , and
- 2010. Influence of genetic relatedness and spatial proximity on chronic wasting disease infection among female white-tailed deer. Journal of Applied Ecology 47:532–540. , , , , and
- 2005. Geneland: a computer package for landscape genetics. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:712–715. , , and
- 2011. Experimental transmission of chronic wasting disease (CWD) from elk and white-tailed deer to fallow deer by intracerebral route: Final report. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research 75:152–156. , , , , , , and
- 1942. Tuberculosis in buffalo. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 100:19–22.
- 1994. Conservation corridors and contagious disease: a cautionary note. Conservation Biology 8:256–262.
- 2011. Winter resource selection of reintroduced elk and sympatric white-tailed deer at multiple spatial scales. Journal of Mammalogy 88:614–624. doi:10.1644/06-MAMM-A-010R1.1. , , , , , and
- 2010. Diversity, decoys and the dilution effect: how ecological communities affect disease risk. Journal of Experimental Biology 213:961–970. , and
- 2006. Spatial epidemiology of chronic wasting disease in Wisconsin white-tailed deer. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 42:578–588. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. adegenet: a R package for the multivariate analysis of genetic markers. Bioinformatics 24:1403–1405.
- 2008. Revealing cryptic spatial patterns in genetic variability by a new multivariate method. Heredity 101:92–103. , , , and
- 2010. Discriminant analysis of principal components: a new method for the analysis of genetically structured populations. BMC Genetics 11:94. , , and
- 2012. Population genetic structure of white-tailed deer: understanding risk of chronic wasting disease spread. The Journal of Wildlife Management 76:832–840. , and
- 1996. The possible importance of wintering yards in the transmission of Parelaphostrongylus tenuis to white-tailed deer and moose. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 32:31–38. , and
- 2005. Spoligotyping of Mycobacterium bovis isolates found in Manitoba. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research 69:143–145. , , , , , , and
- 1993. Effect of social structure on genetic structure of free-ranging white-tailed deer in the Adirondack Mountains. Journal of Mammalogy 74:33–43. , and
- 2006. Infectious prions in the saliva and blood of deer with chronic wasting disease. Science 314:133–136. doi:10.1126/science.1132661. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Host-dependent genetic structure of parasite populations: differential dispersal of seabird tick host races. Evolution 57:288–296. , , , and
- 2012. Ecology and management of white-tailed deer in a changing world. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1249:45–56. doi:10.1111/j.1749-6632.2011.06376.x.
- 2011. Fine-scale genetic and social structuring in a central Appalachian white-tailed deer herd. Journal of Mammalogy 91:681–689. doi:10.1644/09-MAMM-A-258.1. , , , , , and
- 1948. The interpretation of statistical maps. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B (Methodological) 10:243–251.
- 1950. A test for the serial independence of residuals. Biometrika 37:178–181.
- 2005. The origin and evolution of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Clinics in Chest Medicine 26:207–216. doi:10.1016/j.ccm.2005.02.004. , and
- 2006. Wildlife reservoirs for bovine tuberculosis (Mycobacterium bovis) in Canada: Strategies for management and research. Veterinary Microbiology 112:325–338. doi:10.1016/j.vetmic.2005.11.013. , , and
- 2004. Estimating the true prevalence of Mycobacterium bovis in hunter-harvested white-tailed deer in Michigan. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 40:42–52. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Terrestrial ecoregions of the world: a new map of life on Earth. BioScience 51:933–938. doi:10.1641/0006-3568(2001)051[0933:TEOTWA]2.0.CO;2. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Shared feed as a means of deer-to-deer transmission of Mycobacterium bovis. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 40:87–91. , , and
- 2012. From superspreaders to disease hotspots: linking transmission across hosts and space. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10:75–82. doi:10.1890/110111. , , , , , and
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Retrieved from http://www.R-project.org (accessed on March 25 2013).
- 2007. Spatial dynamics and genetics of infectious diseases on heterogeneous landscapes. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 4:935–948. , and
- 2009. Accurate inference of subtle population structure (and other genetic discontinuities) using principal coordinates. PLoS One 4:e4269. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004269. , and
- 2011. Genetic assignment methods for gaining insight into the management of infectious disease by understanding pathogen, vector, and host movement. PLoS Pathogens 7:e1002013. , , , , and
- 2010. Parasite and host assemblages: embracing the reality will improve our knowledge of parasite transmission and virulence. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 277:3693–3702. doi:10.1098/rspb.2010.1163. , , and
- 2012. The walk is never random: subtle landscape effects shape gene flow in a continuous white-tailed deer population in the Midwestern United States. Molecular Ecology 21:4190–4205. doi:10.1111/j.1365-294X.2012.05681.x. , , , and
- 2007. HRT: Home Range Tools for ArcGIS. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Centre for Northern Forest Ecosystem Research, Thunder Bay, ON, Canada. , , , , and
- 2011. Diversity and distribution of white-tailed deer mtdna lineages in chronic wasting disease (CWD) outbreak areas in southern Wisconsin, USA. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A 74:1521–1535. doi:10.1080/15287394.2011.618980. , , , and
- 1996. A comparison of gross pathology, histopathology, and mycobacterial culture for the diagnosis of tuberculosis in elk (Cervus elaphus). Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research 60:108–114. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Bovine Tuberculosis in the Riding Mountain National Park region. Proceedings from the 2004 Bovine Tuberculosis Eradication Conference, Lansing, MI. , and
- 2006. Regulating hunter baiting for white-tailed deer in Michigan: biological and social considerations. Wildlife Society Bulletin 34:314–321. , , , , , and
- 1997. Spatial and temporal variability of microgeographic genetic structure in white-tailed deer. Journal of Mammalogy 78:744–755. , , and
- 2011. A dilution effect in the emerging amphibian pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108:16322–16326. , , , and
- 2011. Lesion distribution and epidemiology of Mycobacterium bovis in elk and white-tailed deer in south-western Manitoba. Canada. Veterinary Medicine International Article ID 591980. doi: 10.4061/2011/591980. , and
- 2009. Sensitive diagnosis of bovine tuberculosis in a farmed cervid herd with use of an MPB70 protein fluorescence polarization assay. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research 73:161–166. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Wildlife diseases: from individuals to ecosystems. Journal of Animal Ecology 80:19–38. , , , and
- 2011. Spatial and temporal factors influencing sightability of elk. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:1521–1526. doi:10.1002/jwmg.208. , , and
- 2012. Influence of landscape and social interactions on transmission of disease in a social cervid. Molecular Ecology 21:1271–1282. doi:10.1111/j.1365-294X.2011.05431.x. , , and
- 2001. Landscape Connectivity and Vegetation Dynamics in Riding Mountain National Park, Canada. Dissertation, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada.
- 2011. Management of damage by elk (Cervus elaphus) in North America: a review. Wildlife Research 37:630–646. , , , , , and
- 2002. Chronic wasting disease of deer and elk: a review with recommendations for management. The Journal of Wildlife Management 66:551–563. , , , , and
- 1984. Whitetail populations and habitats: western Canada. In L. K. Halls, ed. White-Tailed Deer: Ecology and Management, pp. 475–486. The Wildlife Management Institution, Washington, DC.
- 2009. Bovine tuberculosis in Canadian wildlife: an updated history. Canadian Veterinary Journal 50:1169–1176.