Proximity to agriculture is correlated with pesticide tolerance: evidence for the evolution of amphibian resistance to modern pesticides
Article first published online: 30 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 5, pages 832–841, July 2013
How to Cite
Cothran, R. D., Brown, J. M. and Relyea, R. A. (2013), Proximity to agriculture is correlated with pesticide tolerance: evidence for the evolution of amphibian resistance to modern pesticides. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 832–841. doi: 10.1111/eva.12069
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 30 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 OCT 2012
- 2002. Insecticide resistance enhances male reproductive success in a beetle. Evolution 56:2435–2444. , and
- 1994. Use and misuse of mixed model analysis of variance in ecological studies. Ecology 75:717–722. , and
- 1990. Dispersal in the wood frog (Rana sylvatica): implications for genetic population structure. Evolution 44:2047–2056. , and
- 2008. Lack of fitness costs of insecticide resistance in the western flower thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 101:499–503. , , , , and
- 1963. Possible DDT resistance in two species of frogs. Copeia 1963:426–429. , , and
- 2012. Road to evolution? Local adaptation to road adjacency in an amphibian (Ambystoma maculatum). Scientific Reports 2:235.
- 2000. Variation in pesticide tolerance of tadpoles among and within species of ranidae and patterns of amphibian decline. Conservation Biology 14:1490–1499. , and
- 2001. Genetic variation in insecticide tolerance in a population of southern leopard frogs (Rana sphenocephala): implications for amphibian conservation. Copeia 2001:7–13. , , and
- 1994. Life-history costs associated with the evolution of insecticide resistance. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 258:35–40. , , , and
- 2008. Synergistic, antagonistic and additive effects of multiple stressors: predation threat, parasitism and pesticide exposure in Daphnia magna. Journal of Applied Ecology 45:1820–1828. , and
- 2009. Land use, genetic diversity and toxicant tolerance in natural populations of Daphnia magna. Aquatic Toxicology 95:71–79. , , , and
- 2000. Resistance to xenobiotics and parasites: can we count the cost? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15:378–383. , and
- 2006. Ecological characteristics of small farmland ponds: associations with land use practices at multiple spatial scales. Biological Conservation 131:523–532. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1958. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection: A Complete Variorum Edition. J. H. Bennett, ed. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1972. The evolution of resistance to pesticides. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 3:133–168.
- 2000. Ecotoxicological risk assessment for Roundup® herbicide. Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 67:35–120. , , and
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16:183–190.
- 2011. Pesticides Industry Sales and Usage: 2006 and 2007 Market Estimates. US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC. , , and
- 1998. Evolution of resistance in Culex pipiens: allele replacement and changing environment. Evolution 52:443–453. , , , , , and
- 2012. Phylogeny meets ecotoxicology: evolutionary patterns of sensitivity to a common insecticide. Evolutionary Applications 5:593–606. , , , and
- 2009. Multiplicative interaction between the two major mechanisms of permethrin resistance, kdr and cytochrome P450-monooxygenase detoxification, in mosquitoes. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:416–423. , , and
- 2010. The cause of global amphibian declines: a developmental endocrinologist's perspective. Journal of Experimental Biology 213:921–933. , , , and
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. The American Naturalist 173:579–588.
- 2012. Potential for local adaptation in response to an anthropogenic agent of selection: effects of road deicing salts on amphibian embryonic survival and development. Evolutionary Applications, doi:10.1111/eva.12016. , , and
- 2013. Cross tolerance in amphibians: wood frog mortality when exposed to three insecticides with a common mode of action. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 32:932–936. , , , and
- 2011a. Collateral damage: rapid exposure-induced evolution of pesticide resistance leads to increased susceptibility to parasites. Evolution 65:2681–2691. , , , , and
- 2011b. Evolutionary ecotoxicology of pesticide resistance: a case study in Daphnia. Ecotoxicology 20:543–551. , , , and
- 2009. Very highly toxic effects of endosulfan across nine species of tadpoles: lag effects and family-level sensitivity. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 28:1939–1945. , , and
- 2010. Roundup and amphibians: the importance of concentration, application time, and stratification. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 29:2016–2025. , , and
- 2011. Quantitative genetics approaches to study evolutionary processes in ecotoxicology; a perspective from research on the evolution of resistance. Ecotoxicology 20:513–523. , , and
- 1999. Summertime transport of current-use pesticides from California's Central Valley to the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, USA. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 18:2715–2722. , , , , and
- 2008. Rapid experimental evolution of pesticide resistance in C. elegans entails no costs and affects the mating system. PLoS ONE 3:e3741. , , , and
- 1989. The evolution of insecticide resistance: have the insects won? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 4:336–340.
- 2002. Fighting change with change: adaptive variation in an uncertain world. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:551–557. , and
- 2007. Microevolution and ecotoxicology of metals in invertebrates. Environmental Science & Technology 41:1085–1096. , , and
- 1998. The adaptive significance of maternal effects. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13:403–407. , and
- 2001. Humans as the world's greatest evolutionary force. Science 293:1786–1790.
- 2007. Maternally determined adaptation to acidity in Rana arvalis: are laboratory and field estimates of embryonic stress tolerance congruent? Canadian Journal of Zoology 85:832–838. , , , and
- 2002. Competitor-induced plasticity in tadpoles: consequences, cues, and connections to predator-induced plasticity. Ecological Monographs 72:523–540.
- 2006. Assessing the ecology in ecotoxicology: a review and synthesis in freshwater systems. Ecology Letters 9:1157–1171. , and
- 2001. Predator-induced stress makes the pesticide carbaryl more deadly to gray treefrog tadpoles (Hyla versicolor). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 98:2491–2496. , and
- 1996. Biochemical preadaptations, founder events, and the evolution of resistance in arthropods. Journal of Economic Entomology 89:263–273. , , , , and
- 2007. Mapping ecological risk of agricultural pesticide runoff. Science of the Total Environment 384:264–279. , and
- 1998. Biological delineation of terrestrial buffer zones for pond-breeding salamanders. Conservation Biology 12:1113–1119.
- 2000. Principles for management of aquatic-breeding amphibians. The Journal of Wildlife Management 64:615–631.
- 2000. Genetic variation and a fitness tradeoff in the tolerance of gray treefrog (Hyla versicolor) tadpoles to the insecticide carbaryl. Oecologia 125:179–185. , , and
- 1987. Adult recruitment in chorus frogs – effects of size and date at metamorphosis. Ecology 68:344–350.
- 2007. Comparative toxicity of chlorpyrifos, diazinon, malathion and their oxon derivatives to larval Rana boylii. Environmental Pollution 147:535–539. , and
- 2009. Toxicity of two insecticides to California, USA, anurans and its relevance to declining amphibian populations. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 28:1696–1703. , and
- 2004. Status and trends of amphibian declines and extinctions worldwide. Science 306:1783–1786. , , , , , , and
- 2001. Discrepancy between acute and chronic toxicity induced by imidacloprid and its metabolites in Apis mellifera. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry/SETAC 20:2482–2486. , , and
- 2011. Behavioural responses to human-induced environmental change. Biological Reviews 86:640–657. , and
- 1998. Selection for phenotypic plasticity in Rana sylvatica tadpoles. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 65:301–328. , and
- 2011. Epigenetics and its implications for ecotoxicology. Ecotoxicology 20:607–624. , and
- 1963. Resistance to DDT in the mosquito fish, Gambusia affinis. Science 139:217. , , and
- 2001. Completion of the 1990s National Land Cover Data set for the conterminous United States from Landsat Thematic Mapper data and ancillary data sources. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 67:650–662. , , , , , and
- 2011. The pleiotropic structure of the genotype-phenotype map: the evolvability of complex organisms. Nature Reviews Genetics 12:204–213. , and
- 1991. Declining amphibian populations. Science 253:860.
- 2001. Effects of contaminants on behavior: biochemical mechanisms and ecological consequences. BioScience 51:209–217. , , , , and
- 1993. Ecological consequences of the trade-off between growth and mortality rates mediated by foraging activity. The American Naturalist 142:242–272. , and