Molecular genetics and genomics generate new insights into invertebrate pest invasions
Article first published online: 24 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 5, pages 842–856, July 2013
How to Cite
Kirk, H., Dorn, S. and Mazzi, D. (2013), Molecular genetics and genomics generate new insights into invertebrate pest invasions. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 842–856. doi: 10.1111/eva.12071
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAY 2012
- 2008. Colorado potato beetle resistance to insecticides. American Journal of Potato Research 85:395–413. , , , , and
- 2011. Global invasion history of the fire ant Solenopsis invicta. Science 331:1066–1068. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Inferences on population history of a seed chalcid wasp: invasion success despite a severe founder effect from an unexpected source population. Molecular Ecology 21:6086–6103. , , , , , and
- 2010. Combining next-generation sequencing strategies for rapid molecular resource development from an invasive aphid species, Aphis glycines. PLoS ONE 5:e11370. , , , , , , and
- 1991. Damage to young citrus trees by the red imported fire ant (Hymenoptera, Formicidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 84:241–246. , , and
- 2011. Molecular spandrels: tests of adaptation at the genetic level. Nature Reviews Genetics 12:767–780. , and
- 2003. Farmland biodiversity: is habitat heterogeneity the key? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:182–188. , , and
- 2012. Retracing the routes of introduction of invasive species: the case of the Sirex noctilio woodwasp. Molecular Ecology 21:5728–5744. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Phenotypic and genetic differentiation between native and introduced plant populations. Oecologia 144:1–11. , , , , , and
- 2010. Habitat-specific population structure in native western flower thrips Frankliniella occidentalis (Insecta, Thysanoptera). Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23:797–804. , and
- 2002. Resistance to Thrips palmi (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) in beans. Journal of Economic Entomology 95:1066–1073. , , , , , and
- 2009. Ecological specialization of the aphid Aphis gossypii Glover on cultivated host plants. Molecular Ecology 18:2198–2212. , , , , , and
- 2011. A meta-analysis of crop pest and natural enemy response to landscape complexity. Ecology Letters 14:922–932. , , , and
- 2009. Reliable and efficient discrimination of four internal fruit-feeding Cydia and Grapholita species by polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism. Journal of Economic Entomology 102:2209–2216. , and
- 2010. Microsatellites reveal genetic differentiation among populations in an insect species with high genetic variability in dispersal, the codling moth, Cydia pomonella (L.) (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). Bulletin of Entomological Research 100:75–85. , and
- 2008. Invasion of Europe by the western corn rootworm, Diabrotica virgifera virgifera: multiple transatlantic introductions with various reductions of genetic diversity. Molecular Ecology 17:3614–3627. , , , , , and
- 2010. Using environmental correlations to identify loci underlying local adaptation. Genetics 185:1411–1423. , , , and
- 2008. Founding events in species invasions: genetic variation, adaptive evolution, and the role of multiple introductions. Molecular Ecology 17:431–449. , and
- 2010. Back to nature: ecological genomics of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda, Pinaceae). Molecular Ecology 19:3789–3805. , , , , , and
- 2011. Applications of next generation sequencing in molecular ecology of non-model organisms. Heredity 107:1–15. , and
- 2011. Widespread pyrethroid resistance in Australian diamondback moth, Plutella xylostella (L.), is related to multiple mutations in the para sodium channel gene. Bulletin of Entomological Research 101:393–405. , , , , , and
- 2010. Reconstructing routes of invasion using genetic data: why, how and so what? Molecular Ecology 19:4113–4130. , and
- 2006. A general eco-evolutionary framework for understanding bioinvasions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21:130–135. , , , , , and
- 2012. The genomics of speciation-with-gene-flow. Trends in Genetics 28:342–350. , , and
- 2010. Population genetic structure of Cydia pomonella as a function of geography, host and temporal variation. Journal of Applied Entomology 134:191–200. , and
- 2007. Genetic architecture in codling moth populations: comparison between microsatellite and insecticide resistance markers. Molecular Ecology 16:3554–3564. , , , and
- 2010. Spatial and temporal changes in genetic structure of greenhouse and field populations of cabbage looper, Trichoplusia ni. Molecular Ecology 19:1122–1133. , , and
- 2012. Western flower thrips resistance to insecticides: detection, mechanisms and management strategies. Pest Management Science 68:1111–1121. , , and
- 2009. Climate and agricultural context shape reproductive mode variation in an aphid crop pest. Molecular Ecology 18:3050–3061. , , , , , , and
- 2010. The genetic structure of populations of an invading pest fruit fly, Bactrocera tryoni, at the species climatic range limit. Heredity 105:165–172. , and
- 2010. Assessment of loci for DNA barcoding in the genus Thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae). Molecular Ecology Resources 10:51–59. , , , and
- 2010. The future of the global food system. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 365:2769–2777. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Implications of climate change for agricultural productivity in the early twenty-first century. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 365:2973–2989. , , , , , , and
- 2009. Adaptation and invasiveness of western corn rootworm: intensifying research on a worsening pest. Annual Review of Entomology 54:303–321. , , , , and
- 2011. The genome of Tetranychus urticae reveals herbivorous pest adaptations. Nature 479:487–492. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Integrating pests and pathogens into the climate change/food security debate. Journal of Experimental Botany 60:2827–2838. , , , and
- 2011. Genetic differentiation across North America in the generalist moth Heliothis virescens and the specialist H. subflexa. Molecular Ecology 20:2676–2692. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Biological invasions in agricultural settings: insights from evolutionary biology and population genetics. Comptes Rendus Biologies 334:237–246. , , , and
- 2011. Adaptation to climate across the Arabidopsis thaliana genome. Science 334:83–86. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Ecological genetics of invasive alien species. BioControl 56:409–428. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Population-related variation in plant defense more strongly affects survival of an herbivore than its solitary parasitoid wasp. Journal of Chemical Ecology 37:1081–1090. , and
- 2011. A historic account of the invasion of Drosophila suzukii (Matsumura) (Diptera: Drosophilidae) in the continental United States, with remarks on their identification. Pest Management Science 67:1352–1357.
- 2008. Are there any consistent predictors of invasion success? Biological Invasions 10:483–506. , and
- 2000. Insecticide resistance in insect vectors. Annual Review of Entomology 45:371–391. , and
- 2010. Population genomics of parallel adaptation in threespine stickleback using sequenced RAD tags. PLoS Genetics 6:e1000862. , , , , , and
- 2009. Trade, transport and trouble: managing invasive species pathways in an era of globalization. Journal of Applied Ecology 46:10–18.
- 2013. Recent range expansion of the Argentine ant in Japan. Diversity and Distributions 19:29–37. , , , , , and
- International Aphid Genomics Consortium 2010. Genome sequence of the pea aphid Acyrthosiphon pisum. PLoS Biology 8:e1000313.
- 2012. Genome scans reveal candidate regions involved in the adaptation to host plant in the pea aphid complex. Molecular Ecology 21:5251–5264. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. The genomic basis of adaptive evolution in threespine sticklebacks. Nature 484:55–61. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. History, chance and adaptation during biological invasion: separating stochastic phenotypic evolution from response to selection. Ecology Letters 11:852–866. , and
- 2009. Ecological effects of invasive alien insects. Biological Invasions 11:21–45. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Applications and implications of neutral versus non-neutral markers in molecular ecology. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 12:3966–3988. , and
- 2010. A meta-analysis of trait differences between invasive and non-invasive plant species. Ecology Letters 13:235–245. , , and
- 2011. Preadapted for invasiveness: do species traits or their plastic response to shading differ between invasive and non-invasive plant species in their native range? Journal of Biogeography 38:1294–1304. , , , and
- 2011. Estimating gene flow between refuges and crops: a case study of the biological control of Eriosoma lanigerum by Aphelinus mali in apple orchards. PLoS ONE 6:e26694. , , , and
- 2010. Bridgehead effect in the worldwide invasion of the biocontrol harlequin ladybird. PLoS ONE 5:e9743. , , , , , and
- 2007. Globalization and fruitfly invasion and expansion: the medfly paradigm. Genetica 131:1–9. , , , , , and
- 2010. Perspectives on the use of landscape genetics to detect genetic adaptive variation in the field. Molecular Ecology 19:3760–3772. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Transcriptome sequencing, and rapid development and application of SNP markers for the legume pod borer Maruca vitrata (Lepidoptera: Crambidae). PLoS ONE 6:e21388. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Movement of insect pests in agricultural landscapes. The Annals of Applied Biology 160:97–113. , and
- 2005. Multiple transatlantic introductions of the western corn rootworm. Science 310:992. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Biotic interactions and plant invasions. Ecology Letters 9:726–740. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Invasions: the trail behind, the path ahead, and a test of a disturbing idea. Journal of Ecology 100:116–127. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The neutral theory of molecular evolution in the genomic era. Annual Review of Genomics and Human Genetics 11:265–289. , , and
- 2009. Life history of the invasive species Halyomorpha halys (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae) in northeastern United States. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 102:608–616. , and
- 2012. Genomic divergence during speciation: causes and consequences. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 367:332–342. , and
- 2011. Invasive plants do not display greater phenotypic plasticity than their native or non-invasive counterparts: a meta-analysis. Oikos 120:1393–1401. , and
- 2005. Update on the environmental and economic costs associated with alien-invasive species in the United States. Ecological Economics 52:273–288. , , and
- 2008. Adaptive evolution in invasive species. Trends in Plant Science 13:288–294. , , , , and
- 2010. Disentangling the role of environmental and human pressures on biological invasions across Europe. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107:12157–12162. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. The genomics of adaptation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 279:5024–5028. , and
- 2001. How closely correlated are molecular and quantitative measures of genetic variation? A meta-analysis. Evolution 55:1095–1103. , and
- 2012. The genetic basis of species boundaries: the lake whitefish case study. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 367:354–363. , , , , , , and
- Tribolium Genome Sequencing Consortium 2008. The genome of the model beetle and pest Tribolium castaneum. Nature 452:949–955. , and
- 2011. The spatiotemporal dynamics of Tribolium castaneum: adult flight and gene flow. Molecular Ecology 20:1635–1646. , , , , , and
- 2011. Creating a buzz about insect genomes. Science 331:1386. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Population genetics of Scirtothrips perseae: tracing the origin of a recently introduced exotic pest of Californian avocado orchards, using mitochondrial and microsatellite DNA markers. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 124:101–115. , , and
- 2011. Climate effects on life cycle variation and population genetic architecture of the black bean aphid, Aphis fabae. Molecular Ecology 20:4165–4181. , , and
- 2009. Hybridization and the evolution of invasiveness in plants and other organisms. Biological Invasions 11:1093–1105. , and
- 2012. Adaptive genetic variation on the landscape: methods and cases. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 43:23–43. , , , , , and
- 2011. Polyphenism in insects. Current Biology 21:738–749. , , and
- 2012. Could phenotypic plasticity limit an invasive species? Incomplete reversibility of mid-winter deacclimation in emerald ash borer. Biological Invasions 14:115–125. , , , and
- 2010. Adaptation genomics: the next generation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25:705–712. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. What can patterns of differentiation across plant genomes tell us about adaptation and speciation? Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 367:364–373. , , , , , and
- 2011. Maize landraces recruit egg and larval parasitoids in response to egg deposition by a herbivore. Ecology Letters 14:1075–1083. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Historical range expansion determines the phylogenetic diversity introduced during contemporary species invasion. Evolution 61:334–345. , and
- 2011. The molecular genetics of clinal variation: a case study of ebony and thoracic trident pigmentation in Drosophila melanogaster from eastern Australia. Molecular Ecology 20:2100–2110. , , and
- 2011. Evolution in agriculture: the application of evolutionary approaches to the management of biotic interactions in agro-ecosystems. Evolutionary Applications 4:200–215. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Inferring native range and invasion scenarios with mitochondrial DNA: the case of T. solanivora successive north-south step-wise introductions across Central and South America. Biological Invasions 13:1505–1519. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Structured populations of the oriental fruit moth in an agricultural ecosystem. Molecular Ecology 19:2651–2660. , , , and
- 2011. Experimental evidence for the phenotypic impact of admixture between wild and biocontrol Asian ladybird Harmonia axyridis involved in the European invasion. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24:1044–1052. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Founder events predict changes in genetic diversity during human-mediated range expansions. Global Change Biology 17:3478–3485. , and
- 2012. Biology and genetics of human head and body lice. Trends in Parasitology 28:563–571. , and
- 2011. Population admixture, biological invasions and the balance between local adaptation and inbreeding depression. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 278:2–8. , , , and
- 2010. Macrogeographic population structuring in the cosmopolitan agricultural pest Bactrocera cucurbitae (Diptera: Tephritidae). Molecular Ecology 19:2713–2724. , , , and
- 2012. Insecticide resistance in the major dengue vectors Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology 104:126–131. , , , , , and
- 2010. Threats posed to rare or endangered insects by invasions of nonnative species. Annual Review of Entomology 55:547–568. , and
- 2011. Transcriptome analysis and comparison reveal divergence between two invasive whitefly cryptic species. BMC Genomics 12:458. , , , , , and
- 2010. Biotypic diversity in greenbug (Hemiptera: Aphididae): microsatellite-based regional divergence and host-adapted differentiation. Journal of Economic Entomology 103:1454–1463. , , , and
- 2012. Comparative genomics in ecological physiology: toward a more nuanced understanding of acclimation and adaptation. Journal of Experimental Biology 215:884–891.
- 2011. Population genomics of wild and laboratory zebrafish (Danio rerio). Molecular Ecology 20:4259–4276. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Intercontinental differences in resource use reveal the importance of mutualisms in fire ant invasions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108:20639–20644. , , , , and
- 2012. The Asian tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus) invasion into Australia: a review of likely geographic range and changes to vector-borne disease risk. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia 136:128–136.
- 2010. The invasion route for an insect pest species: the tobacco aphid in the New World. Molecular Ecology 19:4738–4752. , , , , , , et al.