Virulence evolution of a generalist plant virus in a heterogeneous host system
Version of Record online: 20 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 6, pages 875–890, September 2013
How to Cite
Betancourt, M., Escriu, F., Fraile, A. and García-Arenal, F. (2013), Virulence evolution of a generalist plant virus in a heterogeneous host system. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 875–890. doi: 10.1111/eva.12073
- Issue online: 27 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 20 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAR 2013
- Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación. Grant Number: AGL2008-02458
- 2008. Decreased overall virulence in coinfected hosts leads to the persistence of virulent parasites. American Naturalist 172:E67–E79.
- 2009. Virulence evolution and the trade-off hypothesis: history, current state of affairs and the future. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:245–259. , , , and
- 1998. Satellite RNA of Cucumber mosaic cucumovirus spreads epidemically in natural populations of its helper virus. Phytopathology 88:520–524. , , , , and
- 2003. Epidemics of aphid transmitted viruses in melon crops in Spain. European Journal of Plant Pathology 109:129–138. , , , , , , and
- 1993. Genetic variability and evolution of the satellite RNA of cucumber mosaic virus during natural epidemics. Journal of Virology 67:5896–5901. , , and
- 1997. Contribution of mutation and RNA recombination to the evolution of a plant pathogenic RNA. Journal of Molecular Evolution 44:81–88. , , , , and
- 2008. Estimation of the effective number of founders that initiate en infection after aphid transmission of a multipartite plant virus. Journal of Virology 82:12416–12421. , , , and
- 2011. Cucumber mosaic virus satellite RNAs that induce similar symptoms in melon plants show large differences in fitness. Journal of General Virology 92:1930–1938. , , and
- 2005. Role of recombination in the evolution of natural populations of Cucumber mosaic virus, a tripartite RNA plant virus. Virology 332:359–368. , , , , and
- 2006. Host resistance and the evolutionary response of plant viruses. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:506–516. , , , and
- 2012. Evolution of virulence in opportunistic pathogens: generalism, plasticity, and control. Trends in Microbiology 20:336–342. , , and
- 1994. Perspective virulence. Evolution 48:1423–1437.
- 1994. Theoretical Evolutionary Ecology. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 2010. Host physiological phenotype explains pathogen reservoir potential. Ecology Letters 13:1221–1232. , , , , and
- 2001. Parasite transmission modes and the evolution of virulence. Evolution 55:2389–2400.
- 2002. On the evolution of virulence and the relationship between various measures of mortality. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 269:1317–1323.
- 2004. A general theory for the evolutionary dynamics of virulence. American Naturalist 163:E40–E63. , and
- 2004. Population dynamics of pathogens with multiple host species. American Naturalist 164:S64–S78.
- 2003. Challenging the trade-off model for the evolution of virulence: is virulence management feasible? Trends in Microbiology 11:15–20. , and
- 1996. Sex against virulence: the coevolution of parasitic diseases. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 11:79–82. , and
- 2000a. Evolution of virulence in natural populations of the satellite RNA of Cucumber mosaic virus. Phytopathology 90:480–485. , , and
- 2000b. Transmissibility of Cucumber mosaic virus by Aphis gossypii correlates with viral accumulation and is affected by the presence of its satellite RNA. Phytopathology 90:1068–1072. , , and
- 2003. The evolution of virulence in a plant virus. Evolution 57:755–765. , , and
- 1996. Models of parasite virulence. The Quarterly Review of Biology 71:37–78.
- 2003. Epidemiology meets evolutionary ecology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:132–139.
- 2004. Evolution of multihost parasites. Evolution 58:455–469.
- 2003. Understanding and managing pathogen virulence: a way forward. Trends in Microbiology 11:206–207. , and
- 2002. The evolution of parasite virulence, superinfection, and host resistance. American Naturalist 159:658–669. , , and
- 2002. Within-host population dynamics and the evolution of microparasites in a heterogeneous host population. Evolution 56:213–223. , , and
- 1999. Structure and functional relationships of satellite RNAs of cucumber mosaic virus. In P. K. Vogt, and A. O. Jackson, eds. Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology. 239: Satellites and Defective Viral RNAs, pp. 37–63. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , and .
- 1960. The use of a multiple-transfer method in plant virus transmission studies – some statistical points arising in the analysis of results. Annals of Applied Biology 48:75–83. , and
- 2002. Identifying reservoirs of infection: a conceptual and practical challenge. Emerging Infectious Diseases 8:1468–1473. , , , and
- 2012. Cucumber mosaic virus. Advances in Virus Research 84:439–504.
- 1995. Effects of disease in wild plant populations and the evolution of pathogen aggressiveness. New Phytologist 129:371–387. , and
- 2006. Evolutionary epidemiology of plant virus disease. Advances in Virus Research 67:163–203. , , and
- 1992. Epidemic of Cucumber mosaic virus plus satellite RNA in tomatoes in eastern Spain. Plant Disease 76:363–366. , , , , and
- 1997. Virulence and transmissibility of pathogens: what is the relationship? Trends in Microbiology 5:31–37. , and
- 2000. A theoretical assessment of the effects of vector-virus transmission mechanism on plant virus disease epidemics. Phytopathology 90:576–594. , , and
- 2005. Virus infection in remnant native bunchgrasses from invaded California grasslands. New Phytologist 168:217–230. , , , and
- 1998. Evolution of virulence: a unified framework for coinfection and superinfection. Journal of Theoretical Biology 195:293–313. , and
- 2011. Evolution of virulence in heterogeneous host communities under multiple trade-offs. Evolution 66:391–401. , and
- 1988. Characterization of Cucumber mosaic virus I. Molecular heterogeneity mapping of RNA 3 in eight CMV strains. Virology 166:495–502. , and
- 2003. Cucumoviruses. Advances in Virus Research 62:241–323. , and
- 1999. Management of plant viral diseases through chemical control of insect vectors. Annual Review of Entomology 44:457–481. , , and
- 2001. Evolution of pathogen virulence: the role of variation in host phenotype. Proceedings of the Royal Society London B 268:755–760.
- 2004. Pathogen spillover in disease epidemics. American Naturalist 164:S79–S89. , and
- 2011. The community ecology of barley/cereal yellow dwarf viruses in Western US grasslands. Virus Research 159:95–100. , , , , and
- 1994. The evolution of virulence. Trends in Microbiology 2:73–76.
- 2000. Evolution of virulence in a heterogeneous host population. Evolution 54:64–71. , , and
- 1990. Construction of full-length cDNA of Cucumber mosaic virus RNAs 1, 2 and 3: generation of infectious RNA transcripts. Molecular and General Genetics 222:249–256. , and
- 2008. The evolution of virulence and pathogenicity in plant pathogen populations. Molecular Plant Pathology 9:369–384. , and
- 2004. Population dynamics of Cucumber mosaic virus in melon crops and in weeds in central Spain. Phytopathology 94:992–998. , , and
- 2012. New insights into virulence evolution in multigroup hosts. American Naturalist 179:228–239.
- 2001. Population biology of multi-host pathogens. Science 292:1109–1112. , , and
- 1980. Management of viruses by alteration of vector efficiency and by cultural practices. Annual Review of Phytopathology 18:289–310. , and