Population genetics provides new insights into biomarker prevalence in dab (Limanda limanda L.): a key marine biomonitoring species
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 6, pages 891–909, September 2013
How to Cite
Tysklind, N., Taylor, M. I., Lyons, B. P., Goodsir, F., McCarthy, I. D. and Carvalho, G. R. (2013), Population genetics provides new insights into biomarker prevalence in dab (Limanda limanda L.): a key marine biomonitoring species. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 891–909. doi: 10.1111/eva.12074
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAR 2013
- Cefas-Bangor University joint studentship
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). Grant Number: ME3206
- 1997. Universal and rapid salt-extraction of high quality genomic DNA for PCR-based techniques. Nucleic Acids Research 25:4692–4693. , and
- 2001. The influence of parental relatedness of reproductive success. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 268:2021–2027. , , , , , and
- 2006. What should we weigh to estimate heterozygosity, alleles or loci? Molecular Ecology 15:4659–4665. , , and
- 1982. Population Studies of the Flatfish Limanda limanda (L.) in Anglesey Waters. PhD Thesis, Bangor University, Bangor.
- 2011. Mechanisms underlying the protective effect of zinc and selenium against cadmium-induced oxidative stress in zebrafish Danio rerio. BioMetals 24:981–992. , , , , and
- 2001. Effects of contaminants on genetic patterns in aquatic organisms: a review. Mutation Research 489:97–122. , and
- 2012. Panmixia in Zoarces viviparus: implications for environmental monitoring studies. Journal of Fish Biology 80:2302–2316. , , , , , , and
- 2000. Effects of chemical contaminants on genetic diversity in natural populations: implications for biomonitoring and ecotoxicology. Mutation Research 463:33–51. , , , , and
- 1994. Nursery grounds of dab (Limanda limanda L) in the southern North Sea. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research 32:299–307. , , , and
- 1997. Genetic structure of flounders Platichthys flesus and P. stellatus at different geographic scales. Marine Biology 129:233–246. , , and
- 2008. Evolutionary ecotoxicology of wild yellow perch (Perca flavescens) populations chronically exposed to a polymetallic gradient. Aquatic Toxicology 86:76–90. , , , and
- 2006. Influence of biological and ecological factors on the bioaccumulation of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in aquatic food webs from French estuaries. Science of the Total Environment 368:615–626. , , , , , and
- 2001. Random forest. Machine Learning 45:5–32.
- 2003. Observations of the physical structure and seasonal jet-like circulation of the Celtic Sea and St. George's Channel of the Irish Sea. Continental Shelf Research 23:533–561. , , , , , , and
- 2006. Race, breast cancer subtypes and survival in the Carolina breast cancer study. Journal of the American Medical Association 295:2492–2502. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A new multitest correction (SGoF) that increases its statistical power when increasing the number of tests. BMC Bioinformatics 10:209. , , and
- 1993. Evolutionary aspects of fish distribution: genetic variability and adaptation. Journal of Fish Biology 43:53–73.
- 1998. Advances in the molecular analysis of fish population structure. Italian Journal of Zoology 65:21–33. , and
- Cefas. 2003. Science Series. Aquatic Environment Monitoring Report No. 56. Cefas, Lowestoft.
- 2010. Genomic resources for flatfish research and their applications. Journal of Fish Biology 77:1045–1070. , , and
- 2006. Spatial and temporal scales of adaptive divergence in marine fishes and the implications for conservation. Journal of Fish Biology 69:21–47. , , , and
- 2007. Random forest for classification in ecology. Ecology 88:2783–2792. , , , , , , and
- 2011. Temporal genetic stability and high effective population size despite fisheries-induced life-history trait evolution in the North Sea Sole. Molecular Ecology 20:3555–3568. , , , , and
- 2012. Multi-marker estimate of genetic connectivity of sole (Solea solea) in the North East Atlantic Ocean. Marine Biology 159:1239–1253. , , , , and
- 1990. Ecology of North Sea fish. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research 26:343–386. , , , and
- 2011. Genetic population structure in flatfishes and potential impact of aquaculture and stock enhancement on wild populations in Europe. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 21:441–462. , and
- Defra. 2010. Charting progress 2: an assessment of the State of the UK Seas. [Online], http://chartingprogress.defra.gov.uk/ (accessed on 08 May 2013).
- 1990. Comparative study of growth of flatfishes on the west coast of Brittany. Journal of Fish Biology 37:149–166.
- 2009. Analysis of BRCA1/BRCA2 genes’ contribution to breasts cancer susceptibility in high risk Jewish Ashkenazi women. Familial Cancer 8:127–133. , , , , , , and
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and
- 2004. ‘Biological effects of contaminants: use of liver pathology of the European flatfish dab (Limanda limanda L.) and flounder (Platichthys flesus L.) for monitoring’. in ICES Techniques in Marine Environmental Sciences No. 38, ICES, Copenhagen. , , , and .
- 1997. Spring plankton Surveys of the Irish Sea in 1995: the Distribution of Fish Eggs and Larvae. Science Series Technical Report. CEFAS, Lowestoft 104:106pp. , , and .
- 2008. STORM: software for testing hypothesis of relatedness and mating patterns. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:1263–1266.
- 2009. The influence of oceanographic fronts and early-life-history traits on connectivity among littoral fish species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:1473–1478. , , , , , , and
- 1982. Genetic and morphological divergence between populations of the flatfish Platichthys flesus (L.) (Pleuronectidae). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 17:395–408. , and
- 1995. FSTAT (version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486.
- 2013. Hyperpigmentation in North Sea dab Limanda limanda. I. Spatial and temporal patterns and host effects. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 103:9–24. , , , , , and
- 2012. Monitoring adaptive genetic responses to environmental change. Molecular Ecology 21:1311–1329. , , , and
- 2006. Toxicity, accumulation, and retention of zinc by carp under normoxic and hypoxic conditions. Environmental toxicology and chemistry 25:87–96. , , and
- 2008. Paradigm shifts in marine fisheries genetics: ugly hypotheses slain by beautiful facts. Fish and Fisheries 41:333–362. , and
- 2007a. Adaptive divergence in a high gene flow environment: Hsc70 variation in the European flounder (Platichthys flesusL.). Heredity 99:592–600. , , , and
- 2007b. Evolutionary mechanisms shaping the genetic populations structure of marine fishes; lessons from the European flounder (Platichthys flesus L.). Molecular Ecology 16:3104–3118. , , , and
- 2013. A genomic island linked to ecotype divergence in Atlantic cod. Molecular Ecology 22:2653–2667. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. On the variation in dab Limanda limanda recruitment: a zoogeographic study. Journal of Sea Research 40:131–142.
- 1996. The western Irish Sea gyre: a retention system for Norway lobster (Nephrops norvegicus). Oceanologica Acta 19:357–368. , , and
- 2002. Population structure of plaice (Pleuronectes platessa L.) in northern Europe: microsatellites reveal large-scale spatial and temporal homogeneity. Molecular Ecology 11:1165–1176. , , , , and
- 2004. Population structure of plaice (Pleuronectes platessa L.) in northern Europe: a comparison of resolving power between microsatellites and mitochondrial DNA data. Journal of Sea Research 51:183–190. , , , , , and
- 2005. Low effective population size and evidence for inbreeding in an overexploited flatfish, plaice (Pleuronectes platessa L.). Proceedings of the Royal Society of London: Series B 272:497–503. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Unbiased recursieve partitioning: a conditional inference framework. Journal of computational and graphical statistics 15:651–674. , , and
- 1978. The reproductive biology of the dab Limanda limanda (L.) in the North Sea: seasonal changes in the ovary. Journal of Fish Biology 13:351–359.
- 2003. Migration route and spawning area fidelity by North Sea plaice. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 270:2097–2103. , , and
- 2004. Impacts of pollution on coastal and marine ecosystems including coastal and marine fisheries and approach for management: a review and synthesis. Marine Pollution Bulletin 48:624–649. , and
- 2008. adegenet: a R package for the multivariate analysis of genetic markers. Bioinformatics 24:1403–1405.
- 2007. Spatial scale of genetic structuring in coastal cod Gadus morhua and geographic extent of local populations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 343:229–237. , , , and
- 2005. NQO1, MPO, and the risk of lung cancer: a HuGE review. Genetics in Medicine 7:463–478. , , , and
- 1992. Histological and cytochemical indices of toxic injury in the liver of dab Limanda limanda. Marine Ecology Progress Series 91:141–153. , , and
- 1991. Distribution of flatfish eggs in the 1989 egg surveys in the southeastern North Sea, and mortality of plaice and sole eggs. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research 27:277–286.
- 1999. Bioavailability of metals in sediments of the Dogger Bank (Central North Sea): a mesocosm study. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 48:519–540. , , and
- 2007. Adaptive differences in gene expression in European flounder (Platichthys flesus). Molecular Ecology 16:4678–4683. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Differences in salinity tolerance and gene expression between two populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) in response to salinity stress. Biochemical Genetics 50:454–466. , , , , , and
- 2012. Signatures of natural selection among lineages and habitats in Onchorhynchus mykiss. Ecology and Evolution 2:1–18. , , , , , , and
- 2006. A biological effects monitoring survey of Cardigan Bay using flatfish histopathology, cellular biomarkers and sediment bioassays: findings of the Prince Madog Prize 2003. Marine Environmental Research 62:S342–S346. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Using biological effects tools to define Good Environmental Status under the European Union Marine Strategy Framework Directive. Marine Pollution Bulletin 60:1647–1651. , , , , and
- 2005. The catadromous European eel Anguilla anguilla (L.) as a model for freshwater evolutionary ecotoxicology: relationship between heavy metal bioaccumulation, condition and genetic variability. Aquatic Toxicology 73:99–114. , , , , , , and
- MAFF. 1995. Monitoring for Diseases in Marine and Freshwater Fish, 1992. Aquatic Environment Monitoring Report No. 46. MAFF Directorate of Fisheries Research, Lowestoft.
- 2008. Evaluating signatures of glacial refugia for North Atlantic benthic marine taxa. Ecology 89:S108–S122. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Protective effect of zinc on related parameters to bone metabolism in common carp fish (Cyprinus carpio L.) intoxified with cadmium. Fish physiology and biochemistry 37:187–196. , , , and
- 2005. North Sea herring population structure revealed by microsatellite analysis. Marine Ecology Progress Series 303:245–257. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Using the AMOVA framework to estimate a standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution 60:2399–2402.
- 2011. Assessing population structure: (i)Fst(/i) and related measures. Molecular Ecology Resources 11:5–18. , and
- 2004. GENOTYPE and GENODIVE: two programs for the analysis of genetic diversity of asexual organisms. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:792–794. , and
- 2007. Dispersal patterns of the eggs and larvae of spring-spawning fish in the Irish Sea, UK. Journal of Sea Research 58:313–330. , , , , and
- 1987. Molecular Evolutionary Genetics. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 2013. Hyperpigmentation in the North Sea dab Limanda limanda. II. Macroscopic and microscopic characteristics and pathogen screening. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 103:25–34. , , , , , and
- 2009. Rapid genetic erosion in pollutant-exposed experimental chironomid populations. Environmental Pollution 157:881–886. , , , , , , and
- 2003. Fish bioaccumulation and biomarkers in environmental risk assessment: a review. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 13:54–149. , , and
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and
- OSPAR. 2009. JAMP guidelines for Contaminant-Specific Biological Effects (OSPAR Agreement 2008–09), [Online]. http://www.ospar.org/ (accessed on 08 May 2013).
- OSPAR Commission. 2000. Quality Status Report. OSPAR Commission, London.
- 2008. Directive 2008/56/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 June 2008 establishing a framework for community action in the field of marine environmental policy (Marine Strategy Framework Directive). Official Journal of the European Union L 164:19–40.
- 1986. Use of bio-indicators in monitoring conservative contaminants: programme designs imperatives. Marine Pollution Bulletin 17:10–17. , and
- 1992a. Population biology of dab Limanda limanda in the southeastern North Sea. Marine Ecology Progress Series 91:19–35. , , and
- 1992b. Recruitment of sole stocks, Solea solea (L.), in the Northeast Atlantic. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research 29:173–192. , , , , , , and
- 2008. GENEPOP'007: a complete re-implementation of the GENEPOP software for Windows and Linux. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:103–106.
- 1997. Some observations on the seasonal distribution of dab, Limanda limanda, in the southern North Sea. Helgoland Marine Research 41:41–51. , and
- 2009. Long-range transport of organic chemicals in the environment. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 28:667–690.
- 2009. Site-specific disease profiles in fish and their use in environmental monitoring. Marine Ecology Progress Series 381:1–15. , , , and
- 2010. Effects of age on liver pathology and other diseases in flatfish: implications for assessment of marine ecological health status. Marine Ecology Progress Series 411:215–230. , , , , and
- 2008. Combining population genomics and quantitative genetics: finding the genes underlying ecologically important traits. Heredity 100:158–170. , and
- 2007. Bias in random forest variable importance measures: Illustrations, sources and a solution. BMC Bioinformatics 8:25. , , , and
- 2008. Conditional variable importance for random forests. BMC Bioinformatics 9:307. , , , , and
- 2009. Party On!. The R Journal 1/2:14–17. , , and
- 1999. Accumulation of zinc from diet and its release in common carp. Fish physiology and biochemistry 20:3113–3324. , and
- 1988. PCB problems in the future: foresight from current knowledge. Environmental Pollution 50:5–28.
- 2001. Integration of genotoxic and population genetic endpoints in biomonitoring and risk assessment. Ecotoxicology 10:245–256.
- 2001. Natal homing in a marine fish metapopulation. Science 291:297–299. , , , and
- 2001. Heterosis, marker mutational processes and population inbreeding history. Genetics 159:1845–1859. , , and
- 2009. Population Genetic Markers in Biomonitoring Programmes: a Case Study of Flatfish around the British Isles. PhD Thesis, Bangor University, Bangor.
- 2009. Development of 30 microsatellite markers for dab (Limanda limanda L.): a key UK biomonitoring species. Molecular Ecology Resources 9:951–955. , , , , and
- 1978. On selective tidal transport in the migration of North Sea plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) and other flatfish species. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research 12:115–147.
- 2009. Long-term trends in the prevalence of cancer and other major diseases among flatfish in the southeastern North Sea as indicators of changing ecosystem health. Environmental Science and Technology 43:2151–2158. , , and
- 2003. Molecular and cellular mechanisms of cadmium carcinogenesis. Toxicology 192:95–117. , , , and
- 1998. Separating the wheat from the chaff: patterns of genetic differentiation in high gene flow species. Journal of Heredity 9:438–450.
- 2008. Integrating data into management of marine resources: how can we do it better? Fish and Fisheries 9:423–449. , , and
- 1994. A comparison of genetic diversity levels in marine, freshwater, and anadromous fishes. Journal of Fish Biology 44:213–232. , , and
- 2006. Plasma proteome analysis reveals the geographical origin and liver tumor status of dab (Limanda limanda) from UK marine waters. Environmental Science and Technology 40:4031–4036. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Microsatellite analysis of plaice (Pleuronectes platessa L.) in the NE Atlantic: weak genetic structuring in a milieu of high gene flow. Marine Biology 157:447–462. , , and
- 2002. Fishes as indicators of environmental and ecological changes within estuaries: a review of progress and some suggestions for the future. Journal of Fish Biology 61:229–250. , and
- 2013. Experimental harvesting of fish populations drives genetically based shifts in body size and maturation. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 11:181–187. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Signatures of selection in natural populations adapted to chronic pollution. BMC Evolutionary Biology 8:282. , and