Geographic population structure of the African malaria vector Anopheles gambiae suggests a role for the forest-savannah biome transition as a barrier to gene flow
Article first published online: 10 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 6, pages 910–924, September 2013
How to Cite
J, P., A, E.-Y., JL, V., B, G., F, S., M, M., JD, C., F, S., N, E., D, W., MJ, D., A, C. and A, d. T. (2013), Geographic population structure of the African malaria vector Anopheles gambiae suggests a role for the forest-savannah biome transition as a barrier to gene flow. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 910–924. doi: 10.1111/eva.12075
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 AUG 2012
- UNICEF/UNDP/World Bank/WHO Special Programme for Research
- Training in Tropical Diseases. Grant Number: A50239
- Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia/MCTES/FEDER Portugal. Grant Number: SFRH/BD/36410/2007
- 2008. LOSITAN: a workbench to detect molecular adaptation based on a Fst-outlier method. BMC Bioinformatics 9:323. , , , , and
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 263:1619–1626. , and
- 2008. Distribution and chromosomal characterization of the Anopheles gambiae complex in Angola. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 78:169–175. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Anopheles gambiae complex along The Gambia river, with particular reference to the molecular forms of An. gambiae s.s. Malaria Journal 7:182. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The “far-west” of Anopheles gambiae molecular forms. PLoS ONE 6:e16415. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Bayesian clustering algorithms ascertaining spatial population structure: a new computer program and a comparison study. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:747–756. , , , and
- 2012. Evidence for X-linked introgression between molecular forms of Anopheles gambiae from Angola. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 26:218–227. , and
- 1979. Chromosomal differentiation and adaptation to human environments in the Anopheles gambiae complex. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 73:483–497. , , , and
- 2002. A polytene chromosome analysis of the Anopheles gambiae species complex. Science 298:1415–1418. , , , , and
- 2009. Living at the edge: biogeographic patterns of habitat segregation conform to speciation by niche expansion in Anopheles gambiae. BMC Ecology 9:16. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Broken barriers: human-induced changes to gene flow and introgression in animals: an examination of the ways in which humans increase genetic exchange among populations and species and the consequences for biodiversity. BioEssays 33:508–518. , , , , and
- 2009. Distribution of pyrethroid and DDT resistance and the L1014F kdr mutation in Anopheles gambiae s.l. from Burkina Faso West Africa. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 103:1113–1120. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Genetic isolation within the malaria mosquito Anopheles melas. Molecular Ecology 21:4498–4513. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Evidence for divergent selection between the molecular forms of Anopheles gambiae: role of predation. BMC Evolutionary Biology 8:5. , , , , , , and
- 1999. Population structure in the malaria vector, Anopheles arabiensis Patton, in East Africa. Heredity 83:408–417. , , , , and
- 2002. Evolutionary studies of malaria vectors. Trends in Parasitology 18:75–80. , , and
- 2009. Spatial inference of admixture proportions and secondary contact zones. Molecular Biology and Evolution 26:1963–1973. , , , and
- 2009. Evidence for a discrete evolutionary lineage within Equatorial Guinea suggests that the tsetse fly Glossina palpalis palpalis exists as a species complex. Molecular Ecology 18:3268–3282. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. STRUCTURE HARVESTER: a website and program for visualizing STRUCTURE output and implementing the Evanno method. Conservation Genetics Resources 4:359–361. , and
- 1996. High level of genetic differentiation for allelic richness among populations of the argan tree [Argania spinosa L. Skeels] endemic to Morocco. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 92:832–839. , and
- 2008. High genetic differentiation between the M and S molecular forms of Anopheles gambiae in Africa. PLoS ONE 3:e1968. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Homoplasy and mutation model at microsatellite loci and their consequences for population genetics analysis. Molecular Ecology 11:1591–1604. , , and
- 2009. Polymorphism of intron-1 in the voltage-gated sodium channel gene of Anopheles gambiae s.s. populations from Cameroon with emphasis on insecticide knockdown resistance mutations. Molecular Ecology 18:3076–3086. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and
- 1997. Molecular identification of sympatric chromosomal forms of Anopheles gambiae and further evidence of their reproductive isolation. Insect Molecular Biology 6:377–383. , , , , , , and
- 2006. Bayesian clustering using hidden Markov random fields in spatial population genetics. Genetics 174:805–816. , , and
- 2009. Using spatial Bayesian methods to determine the genetic structure of a continuously distributed population: clusters or isolation by distance? Journal of Applied Ecology 46:493–505. , , , , and
- 2010. A behavioral mechanism underlying ecological divergence in the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae. Behavioral Ecology 21:1087–1092. , , , , , and
- 2012. Larval habitat segregation between the molecular forms of the mosquito Anopheles gambiae in a rice field area of Burkina Faso, West Africa. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 26:9–17. , , , , , and
- 1995. FSTAT version 1.2: a computer software to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486.
- 2009. Statistical methods in spatial genetics. Molecular Ecology 18:4734–4756. , , , and
- 1979. A simple sequentially rejective multiple test procedure. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 6:65–70.
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23:1801–1806. , and
- 2012. Anthropogenic habitat disturbance and ecological divergence between incipient species of the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae. PLoS ONE 7:e39453. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Flight performance of the malaria vectors Anopheles gambiae and Anopheles atroparvus. Journal of Vector Ecology 29:140–153. , and
- 1998. Complexities in the genetic structure of Anopheles gambiae populations in west Africa as revealed by microsatellite DNA analysis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 95:14260–14265. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Widespread divergence between incipient Anopheles gambiae species revealed by whole genome sequences. Science 330:512–514. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Ecological and genetic relationships of the Forest-M form among chromosomal and molecular forms of the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae sensu stricto. Malaria Journal 8:75. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. The rift valley complex as a barrier to gene flow for Anopheles gambiae in Kenya. Journal of Heredity 90:613–621. , , , , , and
- 2003. Population Structure of Anopheles gambiae in Africa. Journal of Heredity 94:133–147. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Field, genetic, and modeling approaches show strong positive selection acting upon an insecticide resistance mutation in Anopheles gambiae s.s. Molecular Biology and Evolution 27:1117–1125. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Asymmetric introgression between the M and S forms of the malaria vector, Anopheles gambiae, maintains divergence despite extensive hybridization. Molecular Ecology 20:4983–4994. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Molecular characterization of pyrethroid knockdown resistance kdr in the major malaria vector Anopheles gambiae s.s. Insect Molecular Biology 7:179–184. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Genetic population structure of Anopheles gambiae in Equatorial Guinea. Malaria Journal 6:137. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Population genetic structure of the malaria vector Anopheles nili in sub-Saharan Africa. Malaria Journal 9:161. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. SNP genotyping defines complex gene-flow boundaries among African malaria vector mosquitoes. Science 330:514–517. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Molecular Evolutionary Genetics. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 2006. Hybridlab version 1.0: a programme for generating simulated hybrids from population samples. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:971–973. , , and
- 2008. High levels of hybridization between molecular forms of Anopheles gambiae from Guinea Bissau. Journal of Medical Entomology 45:1057–1063. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and
- 2002. Genetic structure of Anopheles gambiae Diptera: Culicidae in São Tomé and Príncipe West Africa: implications for malaria control. Molecular Ecology 11:2183–2187. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Multiple origins of knockdown resistance mutations in the Afrotropical mosquito vector Anopheles gambiae. PLoS ONE 2:e1243. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and
- 1995. GENEPOP version 1.2: population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and
- 2008. A pre-intervention study of malaria vector abundance in Rio Muni, Equatorial Guinea: their role in malaria transmission and the incidence of insecticide resistance alleles. Malaria Journal 7:194. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. A cryptic subgroup of Anopheles gambiae is highly susceptible to human malaria parasites. Science 331:596–598. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145:1219–1228.
- 2008. Distribution of knock-down resistance mutations in Anopheles gambiae molecular forms in west and west-central Africa. Malaria Journal 7:74. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Why sampling scheme matters: the effect of sampling scheme on landscape genetic results. Conservation Genetics 10:441–452. , and
- 1993. Identification of single specimens of the Anopheles gambiae complex by the polymerase chain reaction. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 49:520–529. , , and .
- 2009. Ecological niche partitioning between Anopheles gambiae molecular forms in Cameroon: the ecological side of speciation. BMC Ecology 9:17. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Genetic differentiation between the BAMAKO and SAVANNA chromosomal forms of Anopheles gambiae as indicated by amplified fragment length polymorphism analysis. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 74:641–648. , , , , , and
- 2007. Evidence for subdivision within the M molecular form of Anopheles gambiae. Molecular Ecology 16:639–649. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Gene flow among populations of the malaria vector, Anopheles gambiae, in Mali, West Africa. Genetics 157:743–750. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Molecular evidence of incipient speciation within Anopheles gambiae s.s. in West Africa. Insect Molecular Biology 10:9–18. , , , , , , and
- 2002. Speciation within Anopheles gambiae-the glass is half full. Science 298:115–117. , , , , , , and
- 2005. On the distribution and genetic differentiation of Anopheles gambiae s.s. molecular forms. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 35:755–769. , , and
- 2005. Genomic islands of speciation in Anopheles gambiae. PLoS Biology 3:e285. , , and
- UNEP 2010. Africa water atlas. United Nations Environment Programme. Progress Press Limited, Malta. http://na.unep.net/atlas/africaWater/book.php (accessed on January 2013).
- 2006. Efficiency of model-based Bayesian methods for detecting hybrid individuals under different hybridization scenarios and with different numbers of loci. Molecular Ecology 15:63–72. , and
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and
- 2010. Association mapping of insecticide resistance in wild Anopheles gambiae populations: major variants identified in a low-linkage disequilbrium genome. PLoS ONE 5:e13140. , , , , , and
- 2012. Gene flow-dependent genomic divergence between Anopheles gambiae M and S forms. Molecular Biology and Evolution 29:279–291. , , , , and
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and
- 2010. Genetic association of physically unlinked islands of genomic divergence in incipient species of Anopheles gambiae. Molecular Ecology 19:925–939. , , , , and
- 2011. Adaptive divergence between incipient species of Anopheles gambiae increases resistance to Plasmodium. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108:244–249. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Ecological zones rather than molecular forms predict genetic differentiation in the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae s.s. in Ghana. Genetics 175:751–761. , , , and