Fight evolution with evolution: plasmid-dependent phages with a wide host range prevent the spread of antibiotic resistance
Article first published online: 10 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 6, pages 925–932, September 2013
How to Cite
Ojala, V., Laitalainen, J. and Jalasvuori, M. (2013), Fight evolution with evolution: plasmid-dependent phages with a wide host range prevent the spread of antibiotic resistance. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 925–932. doi: 10.1111/eva.12076
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 JAN 2013
- Academy of Finland Centre of Excellence
- Academy of Finland
- 2004. Long-term bacteriophage preservation. WFCC Newsletter 38:35–40. , , and
- 1998. Bacteriophages show promise as antimicrobial agents. Journal of Infection 36:5–15. , , , and
- 2012. Evolution of antibiotic resistance at non-lethal drug concentrations. Drug Resistance Updates 15:162–172. , and
- 1999. The relationship between the volume of antimicrobial consumption in human communities and the frequency of resistance. Transactions of New York Academy of Sciences USA 96:1152–1156. , , and
- 1991. Construction and properties of a family of pACYC184-derived cloning vectors compatible with pBR322 and its derivatives. Gene 102:75–78. , , , and
- 2008. Plasmid encoded antibiotic resistance: acquisition and transfer of antibiotic resistance genes in bacteria. British Journal of Pharmacology 153(Suppl 1):S347–S357.
- 1980. Morphological and serological relationships of conjugative pili. Plasmid 4:155–169.
- 1965. The structure, function, synthesis and genetic control of bacterial pili and a molecular model for DNA and RNA transport in gram negative bacteria. Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences 27:1003–1054.
- 2011. Tackling antibiotic resistance. Nature Reviews Microbiology 9:894–896. , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Genetic recombination and complementation between bacteriophage T7 and cloned fragments of T7 DNA. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences USA 75:2276–2280. , , and
- 1966. The attachment of the male-specific bacteriophage F1 to sensitive strains of Escherichia coli. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences USA 56:126–132. , and
- 2003. Infection with vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus containing the vanA resistance gene. New England Journal of Medicine 348:1342–1347. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Phage therapy–history from Twort and d'Herelle through Soviet experience to current approaches. Advances in Virus Research 83:3–40.
- 2011. Novel classes of antibiotics or more of the same? British Journal of Pharmacology 163:184–194. , , and
- 1992. Epidemiology of drug resistance: implications for a post-antimicrobial era. Science 257:1050–1055.
- 1971. Properties of an R Factor from Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Journal of Bacteriology 108:1244–1249. , , , , and
- 1994. Inactivation of antibiotics and the dissemination of resistance genes. Science 264:375–382.
- 2005. Plasmids survive despite their cost and male-specific phages due to heterogeneity of bacterial populations. Evolutionary Ecology Research 7:1089–1107.
- 2005. The evolution of a conjugative plasmid and its ability to increase bacterial fitness. Biology Letters 1:250–252. , , , , and
- 1990. Evolution in bacterial plasmids and levels of selection. The Quarterly Review of Biology 65:3–22.
- 2012. Evolutionary dynamics of separate and combined exposure of Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 to antibiotics and bacteriophage. Evolutionary Applications 5:583–592. , , and
- 2005. Unsaturated fatty acids are inhibitors of bacterial conjugation. Microbiology 151:3517–3526. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Conjugative transfer can be inhibited by blocking relaxase activity within recipient cells with intrabodies. Molecular Microbiology 63:404–416. , , , , , and
- 1975. Five control systems preventing transfer of Escherichia coli K-12 Sex Factor F. Journal of Bacteriology 122:518–525. , and
- 2003. Conjugative plasmid transfer in gram-positive bacteria. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews. 67:277–301. , , and
- 2010. Frequency of conjugative transfer of plasmid-encoded ISEcp1 - blaCTX-M-15 and aac(6')-lb-cr genes in Enterobacteriaceae at a tertiary care center in Lebanon - role of transferases. Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials 9:19. , , , , and
- 2012. Vehicles, replicators, and intercellular movement of genetic information: evolutionary dissection of a bacterial cell. International Journal of Evolutionary Biology 2012:874153.
- 2011. Bacteriophage selection against a plasmid-encoded sex apparatus leads to the loss of antibiotic-resistance plasmids. Biology Letters 7:902–905. , , , , and
- 2003. Plasmid-borne extended-spectrum beta-lactamase in a clinical isolate of Acinetobacter baumannii. Journal of Medical Microbiology 52:1125–1127. , , , and
- 1998. Origin and evolution of plasmids. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 73:117–126.
- 1992. A natural mutant of plasmid RP4 that confers phage resistance and reduced conjugative transfer. FEMS Microbiology Letters 70:97–100. , , and
- 1993. Binding of an Escherichia coli double-stranded DNA virus PRD1 to a receptor coded by an IncP-type plasmid. Journal of Bacteriology 175:3089–3095. , , , and
- 1997. The population genetics of antibiotic resistance. Clinical Infectious Diseases 24:S9–S16. , , , , and
- 2007. Antibacterial resistance worldwide: causes, challenges and responses. Nature Medicine 10:S122–S129. , and
- 2011. Inhibition of bacterial conjugation by phage M13 and its protein g3p: quantitative analysis and model. PLoS ONE 6:e19991. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Multiple mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: our worst nightmare? Clinical Infectious Diseases 34:634–640.
- 2011. The next generation of bacteriophage therapy. Current Opinions in Microbiology 14:524–531. , and
- 2007. Disrupting antibiotic resistance propagation by inhibiting the conjugative DNA relaxase. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences USA 104:12282–12287. , , , , and
- 1987. Antimicrobial resistance of Staphylococcus aureus: genetic basis. Microbiology Reviews 51:88–134. , and
- 1997. Emergence of a carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumonia. Lancet 350:783. , , , , and
- 2010. Optimal preparation and purification of PRD1-like bacteriophages for use in environmental fate and transport studies. Water Research 44:1114–1125. , , , , and
- 2009. Conjugative plasmids: vessels of the communal gene pool. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 364:2275–2289. , , and
- 1968. Inhibition of bacterial conjugation by ribonucleic acid and deoxyribonucleic acid male-specific bacteriophages. Journal of Bacteriology 95:314–326. , , and
- 1974. Characteristics of PRD1, a plasmid-dependent broad host range DNA bacteriophage. Journal of Virology 14:689–699. , , and
- 1973. Inhibition of formation of Escherichia coli mating pairs by f1 and MS2 bacteriophages as determined with a coulter counter. Journal of Bacteriology 114:1108–1115.
- 1989. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY. , , and
- 1998. Genesis of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), how treatment of MRSA Infections has selected for vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium, and the importance of antibiotic management and infection control. Clinical Infectious Diseases 26:1204–1214. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Progress towards understanding the fate of plasmids in bacterial communities. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 66:3–13. , , , and
- 2007. Combating bacteria and drug resistance by inhibiting mechanisms of persistence and adaptation. Nature Chemical Biology 3:549–556. , and
- 2008. The bacteria fight back. Science 321:356–361.
- 2003. Where will new antibiotics come from? Nature Reviews Microbiology 1:65–70.
- 2003. Genetic analysis of a high-level vancomycin-resistant isolate of Staphylococcus aureus. Science 302:1569–1571. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Exposing plasmids as the Achilles' heel of drug-resistant bacteria. Current Opinions Chemical Biology 12:389–399. , and
- 2011. The urgent need for new antibacterial agents. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 66:1939–1940. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Phages limit the evolution of bacterial antibiotic resistance in experimental microcosms. Evolutionary Applications 5:575–582. , and