Gene flow and demographic history of leopards (Panthera pardus) in the central Indian highlands
Article first published online: 6 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 6, pages 949–959, September 2013
How to Cite
Dutta, T., Sharma, S., Maldonado, J. E., Wood, T. C., Panwar, H. S. and Seidensticker, J. (2013), Gene flow and demographic history of leopards (Panthera pardus) in the central Indian highlands. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 949–959. doi: 10.1111/eva.12078
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 6 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 SEP 2012
- Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (SCBI)
- 2011. Genomic sweep and potential genetic rescue during limiting environmental conditions in an isolated wolf population. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 278:3336–3344. , , , , and
- 2007. Leopards in human–dominated areas: a spillover from sustained translocations into nearby forests? Journal Bombay Natural History Society 104:45–50. , , , and
- 2011. Translocation as a tool for mitigating conflict with leopards in human-dominated landscapes of India. Conservation Biology 25:133–141. , , , and
- 2004. Discordant temporal and geographic patterns in maternal lineages of eastern north American frogs, Rana catesbeiana (Ranidae) and Pseudacris crucifer (Hylidae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 32:799–816. , , and
- 1993. The African Leopard: Ecology and Behavior of a Solitary Felid. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 2010. Edge effects and the impact of non-protected areas in carnivore conservation: leopards in the Phinda–Mkhuze Complex, South Africa. Animal Conservation 13:315–323. , , and
- 2011. Effective population size of natural populations of Drosophila buzzatii, with a comparative evaluation of nine methods of estimation. Molecular Ecology 20:4452–4471.
- 1986. A quasi-equilibrium theory of the distribution of rare alleles in a subdivided population. Heredity 56:409–415. , and
- 2009. A comparison of single-sample effective size estimators using empirical toad (Bufo calamita) population data: genetic compensation and population size-genetic diversity correlations. Molecular Ecology 18:4790–4797.
- 2006. Comparison of bayesian and maximum-likelihood inference of population genetic parameters. Bioinformatics 22:341–345.
- 2001. Maximum likelihood estimation of a migration matrix and effective population sizes in n subpopulations by using a coalescent approach. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 98:4563–4568. , and
- 1999. Dispersal, gene flow, and population structure. Quarterly Review of Biology 74:21–45.
- 1977. Turnover rates in insular biogeography: effect of immigration on extinction. Ecology 58:445–449. , and
- 2010. Similarity of contemporary and historical gene flow among highly fragmented populations of an endangered rattlesnake. Molecular Ecology 19:5345–5358. , and
- 1999. Genetic divergence and units for conservation in the komodo dragon Varanus komodoensis. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B: Biological Sciences 266:2269–2274. , , , and
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and
- 2002. Deleterious effects of restricted gene flow in fragmented populations. Conservation Biology 16:369–376.
- 1970. An Introduction to Population Genetics Theory. Harper and Row, New York. , and
- 2002. Genomic microsatellites as evolutionary chronometers: a test in wild cats. Genome Research 12:414–423. , , , , and
- 2012a. A reliable method for individual identification and gender determination of wild leopards (Panthera pardus fusca) using non-invasive samples. Conservation Genetics Resources 4:665–667. , , , , , and
- 2012b. Fine-scale population genetic structure in a wide-ranging carnivore, the leopard (Panthera pardus fusca) in central India. Diversity and Distributions. doi:10.1111/ddi.12024. , , , , , and
- 2002. A selective advantage to immigrant genes in a daphnia metapopulation. Science 295:485–488. , , , , , and
- 2002. Food habit of the leopard, Panthera pardus, in the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Maharashtra, India. Mammalia 66:353–360. , and
- 2010. Anthropogenic transformation of the biomes, 1700 to 2000. Global Ecology and Biogeography 19:589–606. , , , , and
- 2006. Estimating effective population size from linkage disequilibrium: severe bias in small samples. Conservation Genetics 7:303–308. , , , , and
- 2003. Genetic threats to population persistence. Annales Zoologici Fennici 40:155–168.
- 2001. Detection of reduction in population size using data from microsatellite loci. Molecular Ecology 10:305–318.Direct Link:, and
- 2008. Modelling the habitat requirements of leopard Panthera pardus in west and central Asia. Journal of Applied Ecology 45:579–588. , and
- 1978. Effective population size and interdemic migration rates in a metapopulation of the redspotted newt, Notophthalmus viridescens (Rafinesque). Evolution 32:839–849.
- 2011. Inferring population decline and expansion from microsatellite data: a simulation-based evaluation of the Msvar method. Genetics 188:165–179. , , , and
- 1995. Gene flow and genetic restoration: the Florida panther as a case study. Conservation Biology 9:996–1007.
- 1981. Estimation of effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Genetical Research 38:209–216.
- 2011. Status of Tigers, Co-Predators and Prey in India. National Tiger Conservation Authority, Govt. of India, New Delhi, and Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun. , , , and .
- 2006. ML-RELATE: a computer program for maximum likelihood estimation of relatedness and relationship. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:576–579. , , and
- 2000. Behavioural correlates of predation by tiger (Panthera tigris), leopard (Panthera pardus) and dhole (Cuon alpinus) in Nagarahole, India. Journal of Zoology 250:255–265. , and
- 2004. Tigers and their prey: predicting carnivore densities from prey abundance. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:4854–4858. , , , , and
- 2001. Immigration and the ephemerality of a natural population bottleneck: evidence from molecular markers. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 268:1387–1394. , , , , , , and
- 2007. The genetic implications of habitat fragmentation for animals. Canadian Journal of Zoology 85:1049–1064.
- 1997. Importance of genetic variation to the viability of mammalian populations. Journal of Mammalogy 78:320–335.
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:183–189.
- 1998. Empirical evaluation of a test for identifying recently bottlenecked populations from allele frequency data. Conservation Biology 12:228–237. , and
- 1998. Usefulness of molecular markers for detecting population bottlenecks via monitoring genetic change. Molecular Ecology 7:963–974. , , , and
- 1967. The Theory of Island Biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , and
- 1999. Restoration of an inbred adder population. Nature 402:34–35. , , , and
- 1998. Statistical confidence for likelihood-based paternity inference in natural populations. Molecular Ecology 7:639–655. , , , and
- 2003. The history of effective population size and genetic diversity in the Yellowstone grizzly (Ursus arctos): implications for conservation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100:4334–4339. , and
- 2009. A panel of microsatellites to individually identify leopards and its application to leopard monitoring in human dominated landscapes. BMC Genetics 10:79. , , , , , and
- 2007. Population structure and gene flow reversals in atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) over contemporary and long-term temporal scales: effects of population size and life history. Molecular Ecology 16:4504–4522. , , and
- 2010. Genetic analyses of historic and modern marbled murrelets suggest decoupling of migration and gene flow after habitat fragmentation. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 277:697–706. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Reliability of genetic bottleneck tests for detecting recent population genetics. Molecular Ecology 21:3403–3418. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Comparative analyses of effective population size within and among species: ranid frogs as a case study. Evolution 65:2927–2945. , , , , and
- 1999. BOTTLENECK: a program for detecting recent effective population size reductions from allele data frequencies. Journal of Heredity 90:502–503. , , and
- 2004. GENECLASS2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. Journal of Heredity 95:536–539. , , , , , and
- 2005. Gene flow maintains a large genetic difference in clutch size at a small spatial scale. Nature 433:65–68. , and
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and
- 2007. Tracer v 1.5, Available from http://beast.bio.ed.ac.uk/Tracer , and .
- 1999. Fencing the Forest: Conservation and Ecological Change in India's Central Provinces 1860–1914. Oxford University Press, Delhi.
- Registrar General of India 2011. Census of India, 2011. Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Document No.00-036-2011-Cen-Data Highlights (E).
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 2008. GENEPOP'007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for windows and linux. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:103–106.
- 1990. Leopards living at the edge of the Royal Chitwan National Park, Nepal. In J. C. Daniels, and J. S. Serrao, eds. Conservation in Developing Countries: Problems and Prospects, Proceedings of the Centenary Seminar of the Bombay Natural History Society, pp. 415–423. Bombay Natural History Society and Oxford University Press, Bombay. , , and .
- 2013. Spatial genetic analysis reveals high connectivity of tiger (Panthera tigris) populations in the Satpura-Maikal landscape of central India. Ecology and Evolution 3:48–60. , , , , , and
- 2008. Home range size and daytime habitat selection of leopards in Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary, Thailand. Biological Conservation 141:2242–2250. , , , and
- 2000. Experimental evaluation of the usefulness of microsatellite DNA for detecting demographic bottlenecks. Molecular Ecology 9:1517–1528. , , and
- 2013. Tigers, leopards, and dholes in a half-empty forest: Assessing species interactions in a guild of threatened carnivores. Biological Conservation. doi:10.1016/j.biocon.2012.12.016. , , and
- 2002. Testing for genetic evidence of population expansion and contraction: an empirical analysis of microsatellite DNA variation using a hierarchical Bayesian model. Evolution 56:154–166. , and
- 1983. Dispersal of three radiotagged leopards. Journal of Mammalogy 64:337–341.
- 1996. Reliable genotyping of samples with very low DNA quantities using PCR. Nucleic Acids Research 24:3189–3194. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Genetic monitoring of Scandinavian brown bear effective population size and immigration. Journal of Wildlife Management 68:960–965. , , , and
- 2008. ONESAMP: a program to estimate effective population size using approximate bayesian computation. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:299–301. , , , and
- 2003. Rescue of a severely bottlenecked wolf (Canis lupus) population by a single immigrant. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 270:91–97. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Estimating effective population size and migration rates from genetic samples over space and time. Genetics 163:429–446. , and
- 2008. LDNe: a program for estimating effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:753–756. , and
- 1996. Demographic and historical effects on genetic variation of carnivores. In J. L. Gittleman, ed. Carnivore Behavior, Ecology, and Evolution, 2: pp. 453–484. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY. , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and
- 1998. Tracking the long-term decline and recovery of an isolated population. Science 282:1695–1698. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Comparison of methods for detecting bottlenecks from microsatellite loci. Conservation Genetics 6:551–562.
- 2003. Bayesian inference of recent migration rates using multilocus genotypes. Genetics 163:1177–1191. , and
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 16:97–159.