When local isn't best
Article first published online: 14 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 7, pages 1109–1118, November 2013
Total views since publication: 300
How to Cite
Jones, T. A. (2013), When local isn't best. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 1109–1118. doi: 10.1111/eva.12090
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 14 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 JAN 2013
- 2007. Test of local adaptation to biotic interactions and soil abiotic conditions in the ant-tended Chamaecrista fasciculata (Fabaceae). Oecologia 154:315–326. , and
- 1985. Restoration ecology: an environmental middle ground. BioScience 35:399. , and
- 2009. Herbivory and local genetic differentiation in natural populations of Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae). Plant Ecology 201:651–659. , , and
- 2003. Evolutionarily enlightened management. Conservation Biology 111:115–123. , , , , , and
- 2008. Sexual reproduction of cordgrass hybrids (Spartina foliosa × alterniflora) invading tidal marshes in San Francisco Bay. Diversity and Distributions 14:187–195. , , , and
- 2003. Alternative stable states in ecology. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 1:376–382. , , and
- 2012. Home site advantage in two long-lived arctic plant species: results from two 30-year reciprocal transplant studies. Journal of Ecology 100:841–851. , , , , , and
- 2010. Practical guidance for developing state-and-transition models. Rangelands 32:23–30. , , , , , and
- 2011. Analysis of abrupt transitions in ecological systems. Ecosphere 2:1–26. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Differentiation and adaptation in Brassica nigra populations: interactions with related herbivores. Oecologia 165:971–981. , and
- 2010. The importance of plant provenance and genotypic diversity of seed material used for ecological restoration. Restoration Ecology 18:338–348. , , and
- 2011. Provisional seed zones for native plants. http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/nativeplantmaterials/documents/ProvisionalSeedZonesForNativePlantsUpdated2011.pdf (accessed on 22 July 2013). , , and
- 2013. Which provenance and where? Seed sourcing strategies for revegetation in a changing environment. Conservation Genetics 14:1–10. , , , , and
- 2008. Seed supply for broadscale restoration: maximizing evolutionary potential. Evolutionary Applications 1:587–597. , , , , , , and
- 1999. Selecting plant species for ecological restoration: a perspective for land managers. In L. K. Holzworth, and R. W. Brown, compilers. Revegetation with Native Species: Proceedings, 1997 Society for Ecological Restoration Annual Meeting, pp. 1–16. USDA-Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Ogden, UT. , and
- 2008. Restoration ecology and invasive plants in the semiarid West. Invasive Plant Science and Management 1:399–413. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Companion to A Sand County Almanac. University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, WI.
- 1996. Biological invasions and cryptogenic species. Ecology 77:1653–1655.
- 2000. Evolutionary changes over the fifty-year history of a hybrid population of sunflowers (Helianthus). Evolution 54:462–474. , , and
- 2012. Seed source affects establishment and survival for three grassland species sown into reciprocal common gardens. Ecosphere 3:article 102. , and
- 2013. Seed source has variable effects of species, communities, and ecosystem properties of grassland restorations sown into reciprocal common gardens. Ecosphere. , and
- 2004. Theories for ecological restoration in changing environment: toward ‘futuristic’ restoration. Ecological Research 19:75–81.
- 2007. Restoration ecology to the future: a call for new paradigm. Restoration Ecology 15:351–353.
- 2012. Plant traits – a tool for restoration. Applied Vegetation Science 15:449–458. , , , , , and
- 1941. Regional differentiation in plant species. The American Naturalist 75:231–250. , , and
- 2008. Potential contribution of natural enemies to patterns of local adaptation in plants. New Phytologist 180:524–533. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Gene flow from foreign provenances into local plant populations: fitness consequences and implications for biodiversity restoration. American Journal of Botany 97:94–100. , , , and
- 2001. Range shifts and adaptive responses to Quaternary climate change. Science 292:673–679. , and
- 2007. Between a rock and a hard place: evaluating the relative risks of inbreeding and outbreeding for conservation and management. Molecular Ecology 16:463–475.
- 2008. Putting people in the map: anthropogenic biomes of the world. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 6:439–447. , and
- 2012. All is not loss: plant biodiversity in the Anthropocene. PLoS ONE 7:e30535. , , and
- 2010. Problems associated with the introduction of non-native genotypes on NRS reserves. http://nrs.ucop.edu/research/guidelines/non_native_genotypes.htm (accessed on 22 July 2013). , , , , and
- 2006. Intraspecific hybridization and the recovery of fitness in the native legume Chamaecrista fasciculata. Evolution 60:225–233. , and
- 2001. An introduction to restoration genetics. http://www.ser.org/docs/default-document-library/ser_restoration_genetics.pdf?sfvrsn=0. (accessed on 22 July 2013). , , and
- 2000. Population differentiation in an annual legume: genetic architecture. Evolution 54:1157–1172. , and
- 2011. Predicting the probability of outbreeding depression. Conservation Biology 25:465–475. , , , , , , and
- 2008. Restoration through reassembly: plant traits and invasion resistance. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23:695–703. , , , and
- 2010. Are the ecological impacts of alien species misrepresented? A review of the “native good, alien bad” philosophy. Community Ecology 11:13–21.
- 1998. An evolutionary perspective on strengths, fallacies, and confusions in the concept of native plants. Arnoldia 58:11–19.
- 1979. The spandrels of San Marco and the Panglossian paradigm: a critique of the adaptationist programme. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 205:581–598. , and
- 2011. Assessment of range planting as a conservation practice. In D. D. Briske, ed. Conservation Benefits of Rangeland Practices: Assessment, Recommendations, and Knowledge Gaps, pp. 171–212. United States Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service, http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb1045799.pdf (accessed on 3 May 2013). , , , , and
- 1982. After description. In E. I. Newman, ed. The Plant Community as a Working Mechanism, pp. 11–25. Blackwell Scientific Publications, London.
- 1991. Effects of soil moisture on shrub seedling survival in a semi-arid grassland. Ecology 72:1138–1149.
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. The American Naturalist 173:579–588.
- 2010. Does selfing or outcrossing promote local adaptation? American Journal of Botany 97:298–302.
- 2006. Novel ecosystems: theoretical and management aspects of the new ecological world order. Global Ecology and Biogeography 15:1–7. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Introduction: why novel ecosystems? In R. J. Hobbs, E. S. Higgs, and C. M. Hall, eds. Novel Ecosystems: Intervening in the New Ecological World Order, pp. 3–8. John Wiley & Sons, Oxford, UK. , , and
- 2003. Plant ecotypes: genetic differentiation in the age of ecological restoration. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:147–155. , and
- 2009. Ecological restoration in the light of ecological history. Science 325:567–569. , and
- 1995. Ecological restoration: a definition and comments. Restoration Ecology 3:71–75. , , and
- 1985. On ecological fitting. Oikos 45:308–310.
- 2004. Pacific Northwest forest tree seed zones – a template for native plants? Native Plants Journal 5:131–140. , , , and
- 2010. What are the best seed sources for ecosystem restoration on BLM and USFS lands? Native Plants Journal 11:117–131. , , , , , and
- 2003. The restoration gene pool concept: beyond the native versus non-native debate. Restoration Ecology 11:281–290.
- 2013. Ecologically appropriate plant materials for restoration applications. BioScience 63:211–219.
- 2009. A role for assisted evolution in designing native plant materials. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7:541–547. , and
- 2011. Appropriate use of genetic manipulation for the development of restoration plant materials. Progress in Botany 72:249–264. , and
- 2010. Launching the counterattack: interdisciplinary deployment of native-plant functional traits for repair of rangelands dominated by invasive annual grasses. Rangelands 32:38–42. , , and
- 2010. Intraspecific variability and trait-based community assembly. Journal of Ecology 98:1134–1140. , , , , and
- 2002. The experimental evolution of specialists, generalists, and the maintenance of diversity. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 15:173–190.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecology Letters 7:1225–1241. , and
- 2000. Genetic introgression from distant provenances reduces fitness in local weed populations. Journal of Applied Ecology 37:647–659. , , and
- 2006. Conservation biology from the perspective of natural resource management disciplines. Conservation Biology 20:670–673. , and
- 2009. Plant conservation genetics in a changing world. Trends in Plant Science 14:599–607. , and
- the GeM working group 2010. Compromising genetic diversity in the wild: unmonitored large-scale release of plants and animals. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25:520–529. , , , , and
- 2000. Genetic diversity of bluebunch wheatgrass cultivars and a multiple-origin polycross. Crop Science 40:1142–1147. , , , , and
- 2004. Population structure of Pseudoroegneria spicata (Poaceae: Triticeae) modeled by Bayesian clustering of AFLP genotypes. American Journal of Botany 91:1778–1800. , , and
- 2008. Conservation genetics as applied evolution: from genetic pattern to evolutionary process. Evolutionary Applications 1:84–94.
- 2008. A meta-analysis of local adaptation in plants. PLoS ONE 3:e4010. , and
- 2006. Invasive cordgrass modifies wetland trophic function. Ecology 87:419–432. , , and
- 1996. Evolutionary significance of local genetic differentiation in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 27:237–277. , and
- 2003. Phylogenetic constraint, absent life forms, and preadapted alien plants: a prescription for biological invasions. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164(3 Suppl):S185–S196.
- 2006. Rebuilding community ecology from functional traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21:178–184. , , , and
- 2005. “How local is local?” – a review of practical and conceptual issues in the genetics of restoration. Restoration Ecology 13:432–440. , , , and
- 2010. A question of origin: where and how to collect seed for ecological restoration. Basic and Applied Ecology 11:300–311. , , and
- 1997. Restoration biology: a population biology perspective. Restoration Ecology 5:277–290. , , , , , , et al.
- 1969. Nonoptimality of local races. In Proceedings of the 10th Southern Conference on Forest Tree Improvement, pp. 149–153. Houston, TX.
- 1986. High-resolution climatic analysis and Southwest biogeography. Science 232:27–34.
- 2009. Local adaptation of Ruellia nudiflora (Acanthaceae) to biotic counterparts: complex scenarios revealed when two herbivore guilds are considered. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:2288–2297. , , , and
- 1997. Ecological theory and community restoration ecology. Restoration Ecology 5:291–300. , , and
- 1991. After the Ice Age: The Return of Life to Glaciated North America. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 2003. Plant traits as predictors of performance in ecological restoration. Journal of Applied Ecology 40:65–77. , , , , , and
- 1994. Evolutionary genetics, the biological species, and the ecology of interior cedar-hemlock forests. In D. M. Baumgartner, J. E. Lotan, and J. R. Tonn, eds. Proceedings of Interior Cedar-Hemlock-White Pine Forests: Ecology and Management, pp. 91–100. Washington State University, Spokane, WA.
- 2008. Assisted colonization is not a viable conservation strategy. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 24:248–253. , and
- 2003. Major ecological transitions in wild sunflowers facilitated by hybridization. Science 301:1211–1216. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Traits, neighbors, and species performance in prairie restoration. Applied Vegetation Science 13:270–279. , , and
- 2004. Genetically appropriate choices for plant materials to maintain biological diversity. Report to the U.S. Forest Service Rocky Mountain Region, Lakewood, CO. http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/publications/botany/plantgenetics.pdf (accessed on 22 July 2013). , and
- 2009. Microrefugia. Journal of Biogeography 36:481–484.
- 2001. Is local provenance important in habitat creation? A reply. Journal of Applied Ecology 38:1374–1376.
- 2002. Cryptic invasion by a non-native genotype of the common reed, Phragmites australis, into North America. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 99:2445–2449.
- 2012. Restoration of ailing wetlands. PLoS Biology 10:e1001248.
- 2008. Management of novel ecosystems: are novel approaches required? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 6:547–553. , , and
- 2011. Building evolutionary resilience for conserving biodiversity under climate change. Evolutionary Applications 4:326–337. , , and
- 2009. Regional and ecotype traits in Lotus corniculatus L. with reference to restoration ecology. Restoration Ecology 17:12–23. , , , , and
- 2013. Concerns about novel ecosystems. In R. J. Hobbs, E. S. Higgs, and C. M. Hall, eds. Novel Ecosystems: Intervening in the New Ecological World Order, pp. 296–309. John Wiley & Sons, Oxford, UK. , , , and
- 1970. Adaptive radiation of reproductive characteristics in angiosperms, I: pollination mechanisms. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 1:307–326.
- 2001. States, Transitions, and Thresholds: Further Refinement for Rangeland Applications. Agricultural Experiment Station Special Report 1024, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR. , , and
- 2010. Why history matters in ecology: an interdisciplinary perspective. Environmental Conservation 37:380–387.
- 2004. Assembly Rules and Restoration Ecology: Bridging the Gap Between Theory and Practice. Island Press, Washington, DC. , , , and
- 2009. Alien species in a warmer world: risks and opportunities. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 24:686–693. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Assessing the benefits and risks of translocations in changing environments: a genetic perspective. Evolutionary Applications 4:709–725. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Approximating nature's variation: selecting and using reference information in restoration ecology. Restoration Ecology 5:338–349. , and
- 2001. Is local provenance important in habitat creation? Journal of Applied Ecology 38:1371–1373.
- 2004. The parable of Green Mountain: Ascension Island, ecosystem construction and ecological fitting. Journal of Biogeography 31:1–4.
- 2007. Novel climates, no-analog communities, and ecological surprises. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 5:475–482. , and