Population genetic structure in a social landscape: barley in a traditional Ethiopian agricultural system
Article first published online: 12 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Total views since publication: 308
How to Cite
Samberg, L. H., Fishman, L. and Allendorf, F. W. (2013), Population genetic structure in a social landscape: barley in a traditional Ethiopian agricultural system. Evolutionary Applications. doi: 10.1111/eva.12091
- Article first published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 FEB 2013
- Fulbright Program
- The Christensen Fund
- Jean Langenheim Fellowship
- UCSC ENVS department
- 2008. Farmers' seed management and innovation in varietal selection: implications for barley breeding in Tigray, northern Ethiopia. Ambio 37:312–320. , ,
- 2011. Network analysis of barley seed flows in Tigray, Ethiopia: supporting the design of strategies that contribute to on-farm management of plant genetic resources. Plant Genetic Resources: Characterization and Utilization 9:495–505. , , and
- 1997. Variation between and within Ethiopian barley landraces. Euphytica 94:183–189. , and
- 1994. Local seed systems and their importance for an improved seed supply in developing countries. Euphytica 78:207–216. , ,
- 1999. The ecological role of biodiversity in agroecosystems. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 74:19–31.
- 2000) The barleys of Ethiopia. In S. B. Brush, ed. Genes in the Field: On-farm conservation of crop diversity, IPGRI, Lewis Publishers, IDRC, Ontario, CA. (
- 2009. High genetic diversity revealed in barley (Hordeum vulgare) collected from small-scale farmer's fields in Eritrea. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 56:85–97. , , , ,
- 2007. Local genetic diversity of sorghum in a village in northern Cameroon: structure and dynamics of landraces. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 114:237–248. , , , ,
- 1996. Dynamics of crop infraspecific diversity: a conceptual framework at the farmer level. Economic Botany 50:26–39.
- 2009. How does farmer connectivity influence livestock genetic structure? A case study in a Vietnamese goat population. Molecular Ecology 18:3980. , , , , , ,
- 1957. An ordination of upland forest communities of southern Wisconsin. Ecological Monographs 27:325–349. , and
- 2003. Farmers' seed systems and management practices determine pearl millet genetic diversity patterns in semiarid regions of India. Crop Science 43:1680–1689. , , , ,
- Central Statistics Authority (2003) Ethiopian Agricultural Sample Enumeration 2001/2002 (1994 E.C.) Report on socio-economic characteristics of the populations in agriculture households, land use, and area and production of crops, Part 1., CSA, Addis Ababa.
- 2005) EstimateS: Statistical estimation of species richness and shared species from samples. Version 7.5. (
- 1996. Phenotypic diversity of Ethiopian barleys in relation to geographical regions, altitudinal range, and agro-ecological zones: as an aid to germplasm collection and conservation strategy. Hereditas 124:17–29. , and
- 1990. Isolation of plant DNA from fresh tissue. Focus 12:13–15. , and
- 2008. Genetic diversity of maize (Zea mays L. ssp mays) in communities of the western highlands of Guatemala: geographical patterns and processes. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 55:303–317. , , ,
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , ,
- Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (2008) Summary and statistical report of the 2007 population and housing census. Population Census Commission. FDRE, Addis Ababa.
- 2007. A Markov Chain Monte Carlo approach for joint inference of population structure and inbreeding rates from multilocus genotype data. Genetics 176:1635–1651. , , and
- 2009. Biodiversity conservation in agricultural landscapes: challenges and opportunities of coffee agroforests in the Western Ghats, India. Conservation Biology 24:479–488. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Conservation the evolutionary potential of California valley oak (Quercus lobata Nee): a multivariate genetic approach to conservation planning. Molecular Ecology 17:139–156. , , ,
- 2010. Adaptation and diversity along an altitudinal gradient in Ethiopian barley (Hordeum vulagre) landraces revealed by molecular analysis. BMC Plant Biology 10:121. , , ,
- 1975. Our vanishing genetic resources. Science 188:618–621.
- 2009. Strong correlation of wild barley (Hordeum spontaneum) population structure with temperature and precipitation variation. Molecular Ecology 18:1523–1536. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. An heuristic framework for identifying multiple ways of supporting the conservation and use of traditional crop varieties within the agricultural production system. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 30:1–2, 125–176. , , , , and
- 2013. A case study of seed exchange networks and gene flow for barley (Hordeum vulgare subsp. vulgare) in Morocco. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 60:1119–1138. , , , , ,
- 2008. Genetic diversity of ICARDA's worldwide barley landrace collection. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 55:1221–1230. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Morphological and farmers cognitive diversity of barley (Hordeum vulgare) at Bale and Norht Shewa of Ethiopia. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, 1–10. , ,
- 1997. Exploiting the diversity of barley landraces in Ethiopia. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 44:109–116. , , , , , ,
- 2003. Landscape genetics: combining landscape ecology and population genetics. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:189–197. , , ,
- 2008. Asymmetrical local adaptation of maize landraces along an altitudinal gradient. Evolutionary Applications 1:489–500. , ,
- 1985. Patterns of phenotypic diversity in an Ethiopian barley collection and the Arussi-Bale highland as a center of origin of barley. Hereditas 102:139–150.
- 2007. The Horn of Africa as a centre of barley diversification and a potential domestication site. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 114:1117–1127. , , , ,
- 2006. Genetic relatedness and population differentiation of Himalayan hulless barley (Hordeum vulgare) landraces inferred with SSRs. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 113:715–729. , , ,
- 2000. Outcrossing rates of barley landraces from Syria. Plant Breeding 119:520–522. , ,
- 2004. Inferring seed exchange between farmers from population genetic structure of barley landrace Arabi Aswad from Northern Syria. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 51:471–478. , ,
- 2006. GENELEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and
- 2004. Patterns of population structure in maize landraces from the Central Valleys of Oaxaca in Mexico. Heredity 92:88–94. , and
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , ,
- 2009. Genetic structure and isolation by distance in a landrace of Thai rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106:13880–13885. , , , ,
- 2000. A simple sequence repeat-based linkage map of barley. Genetics 156:1997–2005. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Saturated NaCl-CTAB solution as a means of field preservation of leaves for DNA analyses. Taxon 41:701–708.
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 4): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and
- 2010. Human and environmental factors affect patterns of crop diversity in an Ethiopian highland agroecosystem. The Professional Geographer 62:394–408. , ,
- 2013. Farmer seed exchange and crop diversity in a changing agricultural landscape in the Southern highlands of ethiopia. Human Ecology 41:477–485. , ,
- 2008. Biotic interactions, ecological knowledge, and agriculture. Philisophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 363:717–739.
- 2011. Seed exchanges, a key to analyze crop diversity dynamics in farmer-led on-farm conservation. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 58:321–338. , , ,
- 1997. The significance of biodiversity for sustaining agricultural production and role of women in the traditional sector: the Ethiopian experience. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 62:215–227.
- 1951. The origin, variation, immunity, and breeding of cultivated plants. Chronica Botanica 13:1–366.
- 2008. Patterns of genetic and eco-geographical diversity in Spanish barleys. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 116:271–282. , , , , , , et al.