Herbicide-resistant weeds: from research and knowledge to future needs
Version of Record online: 10 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 6, Issue 8, pages 1218–1221, December 2013
How to Cite
Busi, R., Vila-Aiub, M. M., Beckie, H. J., Gaines, T. A., Goggin, D. E., Kaundun, S. S., Lacoste, M., Neve, P., Nissen, S. J., Norsworthy, J. K., Renton, M., Shaner, D. L., Tranel, P. J., Wright, T., Yu, Q. and Powles, S. B. (2013), Herbicide-resistant weeds: from research and knowledge to future needs. Evolutionary Applications, 6: 1218–1221. doi: 10.1111/eva.12098
- Issue online: 6 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 JUN 2013
- Grains Research & Development Corporation
- The Council of Australian Weed Societies
- The University of Western Australia
- Bayer CropScience
- CBH Group
- Dow AgroSciences
- Kumiai Chemical Industry
- Monsanto, Sumitomo Chemical, and Syngenta
- 2001. Environmental selection of antibiotic resistance genes. Environmental Microbiology 3:1–9. , , and .
- 2012. Herbicide cross resistance in weeds. Crop Protection 35:15–28. , and .
- 2012. Review: confirmation of resistance to herbicides and evaluation of resistance levels. Weed Science 61:4–20. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Weed and Crop Resistance to Herbicides. Springer Science+Business Media B.V., Dordrecht, Netherlands. , , and .
- 2013. Unravelling the genetic bases of non-target-site-based resistance (NTSR) to herbicides: a major challenge for weed science in the forthcoming decade. Pest Management Science 69:176–187. .
- 2005. Weed resistance to acetyl coenzyme A carboxylase inhibitors: an update. Weed Science 53:728–746. .
- 2008. Glyphosate: a once-in-a-century herbicide. Pest Management Science 64:319–325. , and .
- 2000. Molecular biology of weed control. Transgenic Research 9:355–382. .
- 1996. The evolution and genetics of herbicide resistance in weeds. Weed Science 44:176–193. , , and .
- 1998. Evolutionary Genetics. Oxford Univerisity Press, Oxford.
- 2007. Challenges for herbicide resistance evolution and management: 50 years after Harper. Weed Research 47:365–369. .
- 2012. Reducing the risks of herbicide resistance: best management practices and recommendations. Weed Science 60(Suppl 1):31–62. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Herbicide Resistance in Plants: Biology and Biochemistry. Lewis, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 1991. Multiple herbicide resistance in annual ryegrass Lolium rigidum: a driving force for the adoption of integrated weed managment. In D. A. Denholm I, and D. W. Hollomon, eds. Resistance 91, Achievements and Developments in Combating Pesticide Resistance, I, pp. 75–87. Elsevier Science Publisher, London. , and .
- 2001. Herbicide Resistance and World Grains. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 2010. Evolution in action: plants resistant to herbicides. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61:317–347. , and .
- 2013. Shifting focus from the population to the individual as a way forward in understanding, predicting and managing the complexities of evolution of resistance to pesticides. Pest Management Science 69:171–175. .
- 2011. Evolution in agriculture: the application of evolutionary approaches to the management of biotic interactions in agro-ecosystems. Evolutionary Applications 4:200–215. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Resistance of weeds to ALS-inhibiting herbicides: what have we learned? Weed Science 50:700–712. , and .
- 2013. Glyphosate resistance in Sorghum halepense and Lolium rigidum is reduced at suboptimal growing temperatures. Pest Management Science 69:228–232. , , , and .
- 2012. Harrington seed destructor: a new nonchemical weed control tool for global grain crops. Crop Science 52:1343–1347. , , and .
- 2010. Robust crop resistance to broadleaf and grass herbicides provided by aryloxyalkanoate dioxygenase transgenes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107:20240–20245. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Non-target-site herbicide resistance: a family business. Trends in Plant Science 12:6–13. , , and .