Combining genetic and demographic information to prioritize conservation efforts for anadromous alewife and blueback herring
Version of Record online: 2 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 7, Issue 2, pages 212–226, February 2014
How to Cite
Palkovacs, E. P., Hasselman, D. J., Argo, E. E., Gephard, S. R., Limburg, K. E., Post, D. M., Schultz, T. F. and Willis, T. V. (2014), Combining genetic and demographic information to prioritize conservation efforts for anadromous alewife and blueback herring. Evolutionary Applications, 7: 212–226. doi: 10.1111/eva.12111
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 2 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 MAY 2013
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- 2012. Permanent genetic resources added to molecular ecology resources Database 1 (August), pp. 2011–30, September 2011. Molecular Ecology Resources 12:185–189. , , , , , , et al.
- ASMFC (Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission) 2012. River herring benchmark stock assessment. Volume 1. Stock Assessment Report No. 12-02 of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, Washington, DC.
- 2004. GENETIX 4.05, Logiciel Sous WINDOWS TM Pour la Genetique des Populations. Laboratoire Genome, Populations, Interactions, CNRS UMR 5000, Universite de Montpellier II, Montpellier, France. , , , , and
- 2013. Environmental links to alosine at-sea distribution and bycatch in the Northwest Atlantic midwater trawl fishery. ICES Journal of Marine Science: Journal du Conseil. doi:10.1093/icesjms/fst013. , , and
- 2013. Fish and hydropower on the U.S. Atlantic coast: failed fisheries policies from half-way technologies. Conservation Letters 6:280–286. , , , , , , and
- 1884. Habits of the shad and herring, as they appear in the Potomac River to one who has watched them for fifty years. Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission 4:61–64.
- 2006. Bayesian identification of admixture events using multilocus molecular markers. Molecular Ecology 15:2833–2843. , and
- 2006. A Bayesian method for identification of stock mixtures from molecular marker data. Fishery Bulletin 104:550–558. , , and
- 2013. Spatial and temporal patterns of anadromous alosine bycatch in the US Atlantic herring fishery. Fisheries Research 141:88–94. , , and
- 2009. Temporal shifts in demography and life history of an anadromous alewife population in Connecticut. Marine and Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science 1:90–106. , and
- 2009. Earlier spring warming of coastal streams and implications for alewife migration timing. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 29:1584–1589. , and
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and
- 2005. Arlequin ver 3.1: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47–50.
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and
- 2001. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3) http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.html (accessed on 1 May 2012).
- 2011. The historic influence of dams on diadromous fish habitat with a focus on river herring and hydrologic longitudinal connectivity. Landscape Ecology 26:95–107. , , and
- 2012. Centuries of anadromous forage fish loss: consequences for ecosystem connectivity and productivity. BioScience 62:723–731. , , and
- 2012. Alosine restoration in the 21st century: challenging the status Quo. Marine and Coastal Fisheries 4:174–187. , and
- 2013. Genetic diversity and differentiation in a wide ranging anadromous fish, American shad (Alosa sapidissima), is correlated with latitude. Molecular Ecology 22:1558–1573. , , and
- 2005. A standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution 59:1633–1638.
- 1996. Historical trends in abundance of American shad and river herring in Albermarle Sound, North Carolina. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 16:257–271. , , and
- 1979. A simple sequentially rejective multiple test procedure. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 6:65–70.
- 2012. How does the 50/500 rule apply to MVPs? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 27:578–584. , and
- 2005. Isolation by distance web service. BMC Genetics 6:13. http://www.ibdws.sdsu.edu (accessed on 1 May 2012). , , and
- 2012. Population genetic structure of protected allis shad (Alosa alosa) and twaite shad (Alosa fallax). Marine Biology 159:675–687. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Contribution of declining anadromous fishes to the reproductive investment of a common piscivorous seabird, the double-crested cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus). The Auk 127:696–703. , , , and
- 1988. Genetics and demography in biological conservation. Science 241:1455–1460.
- 2006. Relative performance of Bayesian clustering software for inferring population substructure and individual assignment at low levels of population differentiation. Conservation Genetics 7:295–302. , , , and
- 2002. Estimating allelic richness: effects of sample size and bottlenecks. Molecular Ecology 11:2445–2449.
- 2009. Dramatic declines in North Atlantic diadromous fishes. BioScience 59:955–965. , and
- 1987. Overview of life history aspects of anadromous alewife and blueback herring in freshwater habitats. American Fisheries Society Symposium 1:89–103.
- 2012. rkt: Mann-Kendall test, Seasonal and Regional Kendall Tests. R package (version 1.1). http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=rkt (accessed on 1 May 2012).
- 2006. The 2005 assessment of the Gulf of Maine Atlantic Cod Stock. Northeast Fisheries Science Center Reference Document 06-02. Woods Hole, MA. , and
- 2006. Using the AMOVA framework to estimate a standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution 60:2399–2402.
- 1978. Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a small number of individuals. Genetics 89:583–590.
- 1983. Accuracy of estimated phylogenetic trees from molecular data II. Gene frequency data. Journal of Molecular Evolution 19:153–170. , , and
- NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council) 2011. Before the Secretary of Commerce: Petition to List Alewife (Alosa pseudoharengus) and Blueback Herring (Alosa aestivalis) as Threatened Species and to Designate Critical Habitat. NRDC, New York, NY.
- 2006. Assessment of the Georges Bank Atlantic cod stock for 2005. Northeast Fisheries Science Center Reference Document. 06-10. Woods Hole, MA. , , and
- 2008. Independent evolutionary origins of landlocked alewife populations and rapid parallel evolution of phenotypic traits. Molecular Ecology 17:582–597. , , , and
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and
- 2008. Intraspecific variation in a predator affects community structure and cacading trophic interactions. Ecology 89:2019–2032. , , , and
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and
- R Development Core Team 2011. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 2004. DISTRUCT: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:137–138.
- 2008. Genepop'007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for Windows and Linux. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:103–106.
- 2006. POWSIM: a computer program for assessing statistical power when testing for genetic differentiation. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:600–602. , and
- 2002. A microsatellite based multilocus screen for the identification of locl selective sweeps. Genetics 160:753–763.
- 2005. A novel test statistic for the identification of local selective sweeps based on microsatellite gene diversity. In D. Nurminsky, ed. Selective Sweep, pp. 55–64. Kluwer Academic/Plenum publishers, New York. , and
- 2007. Life-history and habitat features influence the within-river genetic structure of Atlantic salmon. Molecular Ecology 16:2638–2654. , , , and
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and
- 2003. Diet composition of large striped bass (Morone saxatilis) in Chesapeake Bay. Fishery Bulletin 101:414–423. , and
- 2006. What is a population? An empirical evaluation of some genetic methods for identifying the number of gene pools and their degree of connectivity. Molecular Ecology 15:1419–1439. , and
- 1984. Estimating F statisitcs for the ananlysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and
- 2010. Nutrient loading by anadromous alewife (Alosa pseudoharengus): contemporary patterns and predictions for restoration efforts. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 67:1211–1220. , , , and
- 2008. Elemental conservation units: communicating extinction risk without dictating targets for protection. Conservation Biology 22:36–47. , and