Reviews and Synthesis
Evolutionary and plastic responses to climate change in terrestrial plant populations
Version of Record online: 14 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Special Issue: Climate change, adaptation and phenotypic plasticity
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 123–139, January 2014
How to Cite
Franks, S. J., Weber, J. J. and Aitken, S. N. (2014), Evolutionary and plastic responses to climate change in terrestrial plant populations. Evolutionary Applications, 7: 123–139. doi: 10.1111/eva.12112
- Issue online: 8 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 14 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2013
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: DEB-1120241
- 2008. Genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation in plant populations: susceptible signals in plant traits and methodological approaches. Molecular Ecology 17:5177–5188. , , , , and
- 2013. Assisted gene flow to facilitate local adaptation to climate change. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 44. (in press). , and
- 2008. Adaptation, migration or extirpation: climate change outcomes for tree populations. Evolutionary Applications 1:95–111. , , , , and
- 2013. Potential for evolutionary responses to climate change – evidence from tree populations. Global Change Biology 19:1645–1661. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The relative advantages of plasticity and fixity in different environments: when is it good for a plant to adjust? Evolutionary Ecology 16:285–297. , and
- 2012. Genetic consequences of climate change for northern plants. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 279:2042–2051. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012a. Phenotypic plasticity and adaptive evolution contribute to advancing flowering phenology in response to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 279:3843–3852. , , , , and
- 2012b. Evolutionary and ecological responses to anthropogenic climate change. Plant Physiology 160:1728–1740. , , and
- 2013. Mechanisms of selection: phenotypic differences among genotypes explain patterns of selection in a dominant species. Ecology 94:953–965. , and
- 2013. Genetic diversity of a dominant C4 grass is altered with increased precipitation variability. Oecologia 171:571–581. , , and
- 1991. Genetic and evolutionary consequences of small population size in plant: Implications for conservation. In D. A. Falk, and K. E. Holsinger, eds. Genetic and Conservation of Rare Plants, pp. 3–30. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and
- 2009. Quantitative genetic variation in populations of Amsinckia spectabilis that differ in rate of self-fertilization. Evolution 63:1103–1117. , and
- 1991. Genetic variation in the date of budburst in Scottish birch populations: implications for climate change. Functional Ecology 5:403–409. , and
- 2014. Climate change and evolutionary vs plastic responses in mammals. Evolutionary Applications 7:29–41. , and
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Advances in Genetics 13:115–155.
- 2008. Genetic response to rapid climate change: it's seasonal timing that matters. Molecular Ecology 17:157–166. , and
- 2007. Limits to evolution at range margins: when and why does adaptation fail? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:140–147. , and
- 1995. Quantitative genetics in plants: the effect of the breeding system on genetic variability. Evolution 49:911–920. , and
- 1993. The effect of deleterious mutations on neutral molecular variation. Genetics 134:1289–1303. , , and
- 2014. Climate change and timing of avian breeding and migration: evolutionary versus plastic changes. Evolutionary Applications 7:15–28. , and
- 2010. When do adaptive plasticity and genetic evolution prevent extinction of a density-regulated population? Evolution 64:1143–1150. , and
- 2011. Adaptation to marginal habitats by evolution of increased phenotypic plasticity. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24:1462–1476. , and
- 2010. Adaptation, plasticity, and extinction in a changing environment: towards a predictive theory. PLoS Biology 8:e1000357. , , and
- 2013. Phenotypic plasticity in evolutionary rescue experiments. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 368. doi:10.1098/rstb.2012.0089. , , , , and
- 1940. Experimental Studies on the Nature of Species. I. Effects of Varied Environments on Western North American Plants. Carnegie Institute of Washington, Washington, DC, 520. , , and
- 2012. Phenological tracking enables positive species responses to climate change. Ecology 93:1765–1771. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. A Primer of Ecological Genetics. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and
- 2011. Phenotypic plasticity in mesic populations of Pinus pinaster improves resistance to xylem embolism (P50) under severe drought. Trees 25:1033–1042. , , , and
- 2010. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in response to anthropogenic disturbance. Evolutionary Ecology Research 12:47–66. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Range shifts and adaptive responses to Quaternary climate change. Science 292:673–679. , and
- 2005. Evolutionary responses to changing climate. Ecology 86:1704–1714. , , and
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13:77–81. , , and
- 2012. Genetic variation in the susceptibility of Eucalyptus globulus to drought damage. Tree Genetics & Genomes 8:757–773. , and
- 1997. Simulated sea level change alters anatomy, physiology, growth, and reproduction of red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle L.). Oecologia 112:435–446. , and
- 2004. Evolutionary potential of Chamaecrista fasciculata in relation to climate change. 1. Clinal patterns of selection along an environmental gradient in the great plains. Evolution 58:1446–1458.
- 2008. Evolution in response to climate change. In C. W. Fox, and S. P. Carroll, eds. Conservation Biology: Evolution in Action, pp. 145–163. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2001. Constraint to adaptive evolution in response to global warming. Science 294:151–154. , and
- 1958. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Claredon, New York.
- 2011. An examination of synchrony between insect emergence and flowering in Rocky Mountain meadows. Ecological Monographs 81:469–491. , and
- 2011. A map of local adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 334:86–89. , , , , , and
- 2011. Plasticity and evolution in drought avoidance and escape in the annual plant Brassica rapa. New Phytologist 190:249–257.
- 2012. Genetics of climate change adaptation. Annual Review of Genetics 46:185–208. , and
- 2008. A change in climate causes rapid evolution of multiple life-history traits and their interactions in an annual plant. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21:1321–1334. , and
- 2007. Rapid evolution of flowering time by an annual plant in response to a climate fluctuation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:1278–1282. , , and
- 2008. The resurrection initiative: storing ancestral genotypes to capture evolution in action. BioScience 58:870–873. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Functional Ecology 21:394–407. , , , and
- 2006. Impact of mating systems on patterns of sequence polymorphism in flowering plants. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 273:3011–3019. , , and
- 2009. Local adaptation occurs along altitudinal gradient despite the existence of gene flow in the alpine plant species Festuca eskia. Journal of Ecology 97:742–751. , and
- 2013. Differential introgression reveals candidate genes for selection across a spruce (Picea sitchensis × P. glauca) hybrid zone. New Phytologist 197:927–938. , , and
- 2007. Comparison of flooding-tolerance in four mangrove species in a diurnal tidal zone in the Beibu Gulf. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 74:254–262. , , , , and
- 2009. How does climate warming affect plant-pollinator interactions? Ecology Letters 12:184–195. , , , , and
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. American Naturalist 173:579–588.
- 2010. Does selfing or outcrossing promote local adaptation? American Journal of Botany 97:298–302.
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptation. Nature 470:479–485. , and
- 2012. Divergent selection and heterogeneous migration rates across the range of Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis). Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 279:1675–1683. , , and
- 1990. The microevolutionary consequences of climate change. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 5:311–315.
- IPCC 2007. Climate Change 2007: the physical science basis. In S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K. B. Averyt, M. Tignor, and H. L. Miller, eds. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, pp. 1–996. IPCC, Cambridge, UK.
- 2012. Modeling intraspecific adaptation of Abies sachalinensis to local altitude and responses to global warming, based on a 36-year reciprocal transplant experiment. Evolutionary Applications 5:229–244. , and
- 2000. Maintenance of genetic variation in phenotypic plasticity: the role of environmental variation. Genetics Research 76:295–304. , and
- 2005. Running to stand still: adaptation and the response of plants to rapid climate change. Ecology Letters 8:1010–1020. , and
- 2006. Natural selection and climate change: temperature-linked spatial and temporal trends in gene frequency in Fagus sylvatica. Molecular Ecology 15:3469–3480. , , , and
- 2011. Climate-driven local adaptation of ecophysiology and phenology in balsam poplar, Populus balsamifera L. (Salicaceae). American Journal of Botany 98:99–108. , , , , , and
- 2003. Temperature-based population segregation in birch. Ecology Letters 6:87–89. , , , , and
- 2011. Population differentiation and plasticity in vegetative ontogeny: Effects on life-history expression in Erysimum capitatum (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 98:1752–1761. , and
- 2013. Local adaptation and plasticity of Erysimum capitatum to altitude: its implications for responses to climate change. Journal of Ecology 101:796–805. , and
- 1997. Evolution of a species’ range. American Naturalist 150:1–23. , and
- 2014. Rapid evolution of quantitative traits: theoretical perspectives. Evolutionary Applications 7:169–191. , and
- 2013. Evolutionary and plastic rescue in multitrophic model communities. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 368. doi:10.1098/rstb.2012.0084. , and
- 2012. Long-distance gene flow and adaptation of forest trees to rapid climate change. Ecology Letters 15:378–392. , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain: body size allometry. Evolution 33:402.
- 1988. Genetic and demography in biological conservation. Science 241:1455–1459.
- 1994. Risk of population extinction from fixation of new deleterious mutations. Evolution 48:1460–1469.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and
- 2012. Rapid responses of soil microorganisms improve plant fitness in novel environments. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109:14058–14062. , and
- 2008. A meta-analysis of local adaptation in plants. PLoS One 3:e4010. , and
- 2012. Plant response to climate change varies with topography, interactions with neighbors, and ecotype. Ecology 94:444–453. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Terpene-based selective herbivory by Helix aspersa (Mollusca) on Thymus vulgaris (Labiatae). Oecologia 102:126–132. , and
- 1984. Ecological determinants of genetic structure in plant populations. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 15:65–95. , and
- 1990. Mutation load and the survival of small populations. Evolution 44:1725–1737. , and
- 2009. Ring density record of phenotypic plasticity and adaptation to drought in Douglas-fir. Forest Ecology and Management 258:860–867. , , , , , and
- 2011. Climate impacts on lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta) radial growth in a provenance experiment. Forest Ecology and Management 262:115–123. , , and
- 2011. Cues and the optimal timing of activities under environmental changes. Ecology Letters 14:1183–1190. , , , and
- 2007. Global warming and the disruption of plant–pollinator interactions. Ecology Letters 10:710–717. , , , and
- 2012. Evolution in response to climate change: in pursuit of the missing evidence. BioEssays 34:811–818.
- 2014. Climate change, adaptation, and phenotypic plasticity: the problem and the evidence. Evolutionary Applications 7:1–14. , and
- 2008. Global warming and flowering times in Thoreau's Concord: a community perspective. Ecology 89:332–341. , and
- 2010. Local adaptation at the range peripheries of Sitka spruce. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23:249–258. , and
- 2012. Phenotypic plasticity in two antarctic populations of Colobanthus quitensis (Caryophyllaceae) under a simulated global change scenario. Gayana. Botánica 69:152–160. , , , , and
- 2001. Testing and adjusting for publication bias. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:580–586. , and
- 2012. Evolution of wild cereals during 28 years of global warming in Israel. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109:3412–3415. , , , , , and
- 2010. Plant phenotypic plasticity in a changing climate. Trends in Plant Science 15:684–692. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37:637–669.
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. , and
- 2011. Quantifying the impact of gene flow on phenotype-environment mismatch: a demonstration with the scarlet monkeyflower Mimulus cardinalis. The American Naturalist 178:62–79. , , and
- 2001. Responses to a warming world. Science 294:793–795. , and
- 2003. Glacial refugia: hotspots but not melting pots of genetic diversity. Science 300:1563–1565. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Modelling phenotypic plasticity. II. Do genetic correlations matter? Heredity 77:453–460.
- 2010. Global pollinator declines: trends, impacts and drivers. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 25:345–353. , , , , , and
- 1996. Evolutionary consequences of simulated global change: genetic adaptation or adaptive phenotypic plasticity. Oecologia 108:683–693. , and
- 2013. Clinal adaptation and adaptive plasticity in Artemisia californica: implications for the response of a foundation species to predicted climate change. Global Change Biology 19:2454–2466. , and
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity and local adaptation in leaf ecophysiological traits of 13 contrasting cork oak populations under different water availabilities. Tree Physiology 30:618–627. , , , and
- 1999. Genetic responses to climate in Pinus contorta: niche breadth, climate change and reforestation. Ecological Monographs 69:375–407. , , , and
- 2001. Physiologic plasticity, evolution, and impacts of a changing climate on Pinus contorta. Climatic Change 50:355–376. , , and
- 2014. Climate change in the oceans: evolutionary versus phenotypically plastic responses of marine animals and plants. Evolutionary Applications (in press).
- 2007. Molecular ecology of global change. Molecular Ecology 16:3973–3992. , and
- 2012. Phenotypic plasticity facilitates resistance to climate change in a highly variable environment. Oecologia 169:269–279. , , , , , and
- 2009. Harnessing genomics for evolutionary insights. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24:192–200. , and
- 2004. Genetic variation in cessation of growth and frost hardiness and consequences for adaptation of Pinus sylvestris to climatic changes. Forest Ecology and Management 197:79–89. , , , , and
- 2007. Gene flow and local adaptation in trees. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 38:595–619. , , and
- 2011. Adaptive potential of northernmost tree populations to climate change, with emphasis on Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.). Journal of Heredity 102:526–536. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Effect of interannual climate variations on radial growth of jack pine provenances in Petawawa, Ontario. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 38:619–630. , , , , and
- 2014. Contemporary climate change and terrestrial invertebrates: evolutionary versus plastic changes. Evolutionary Applications 7:56–67. , and
- 2002. Phenotypic plasticity: linking molecular mechanisms with evolutionary outcomes. Evolutionary Ecology 16:189–211. , and
- 2009. Evolution and ecology of species range limits. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 40:415–436. , , , and
- 2011. Gene flow increases fitness at the warm edge of a species’ range. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108:11704–11709. , , and
- 2012. Rapid climate change and the rate of adaptation: insight from experimental quantitative genetics. New Phytologist 195:752–765. , and
- 2011. Correlated response in plasticity to selection for early flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24:2280–2288. , , , and
- 2013. A resurrection study reveals rapid adaptive evolution within populations of an invasive plant. Evolutionary Applications 6:266–278. , , , , and
- 2014. Climate warming and Bergmann's rule through time: is there any evidence?. Evolutionary Applications 7:156–168. , and
- 2011. The consequences of phenotypic plasticity for ecological speciation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24:326–342. , and
- 2007. Ongoing adaptation to Mediterranean climate extremes in a chemically polymorphic plant. Ecological Monographs 77:421–439. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Evolution of a genetic polymorphism with climate change in a Mediterranean landscape. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110:2893–2897. , , , , , , et al.
- 2014. Plasticity and genetic adaptation mediate amphibian and reptile responses to climate change. Evolutionary Applications 7:88–103. , and
- 2010. Quantifying phenological plasticity to temperature in two temperate tree species. Functional Ecology 24:1211–1218. , , , , and
- 2010. Integrating environmental and genetic effects to predict responses of tree populations to climate. Ecological Applications 20:153–163. , , and
- 2010. Genetic and physiological bases for phenological responses to current and predicted climates. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 365:3129–3147. , , , , , and
- 2006. Limits to the adaptive potential of small populations. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37:433–458. , , and
- 2006. Regional heterogeneity and gene flow maintain variance in a quantitative trait within populations of lodgepole pine. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 273:1587–1593. , and