Genomic selection for recovery of original genetic background from hybrids of endangered and common breeds
Version of Record online: 14 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 7, Issue 2, pages 227–237, February 2014
How to Cite
Amador, C., Hayes, B. J. and Daetwyler, H. D. (2014), Genomic selection for recovery of original genetic background from hybrids of endangered and common breeds. Evolutionary Applications, 7: 227–237. doi: 10.1111/eva.12113
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 14 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 JAN 2013
- INIA/Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad. Grant Number: CGL2009-13278-C02-02
- Cooperative Research Centre for Sheep Industry Innovation
- 2001. The problems with hybrids: setting conservation guidelines. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:613–622. , , , and
- 2011. Removing exogenous information using pedigree data. Conservation Genetics 12:1565–1573. , , and
- 2012. Molecular markers allow to remove introgressed genetic background: a simulation study. PLoS ONE 7:e49409. , , and
- 2013. Advantages of using molecular coancestry in the removal of introgressed genetic material. Genetics Selection Evolution 45:13. , , and
- 2007. Genetic effects of captive breeding cause a rapid, cumulative fitness decline in the wild. Science 318:100–103. , , and
- 2011. Molecular phylogeny and diversity of the Corsican red-legged partridge: hybridization and management issues. Journal of Zoology 285:56–65. , , , and
- 2012. Conservation genetics of an endemic mountaintop salamander with an extremely limited range. Conservation Genetics 13:443–454. , , , , and
- 2011. Detection of chromosome segments of zebu and taurine origin and their effect on beef production and growth. Journal of Animal Science 89:2050–2060. , , , , , and
- 2009. A unified approach to genotype imputation and haplotype-phase inference for large data sets of trios and unrelated individuals. The American Journal of Human Genetics 84:210–223. , and
- 2011. Bayesian analysis of hybridization and introgression between the endangered european mink (Mustela lutreola) and the polecat (Mustela putorius). Molecular Ecology 20:1176–1190. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Whole-genome regression and prediction methods applied to plant and animal breeding. Genetics 193:327–345. , , , , and .
- 2011. Using genome-wide information to minimise the loss of diversity in conservation programmes. Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics 128:456–464. , , , and
- 2010. Accuracy of estimated genomic breeding values for wool and meat traits in a multi-breed sheep population. Animal Production Science 50:1004–1010. , , , , , , and
- 2011. Imputation of missing genotypes from sparse to high density using long-range phasing. Genetics 189:317–327. , , , , and
- 2013. Genomic prediction in animals and plants: simulation of data, validation, reporting, and benchmarking. Genetics 193:347–365. , , , , and .
- 2011. Genome-wide genetic marker discovery and genotyping using next-generation sequencing. Nature Reviews Genetics 12:499–510. , , , , , and
- 2011. A robust, simple genotyping-by-sequencing (GBS) approach for high diversity species. PLoS ONE 6:e19379. , , , , , , and
- 2012. Inference of population structure using dense haplotype data. PLOS Genetics 8:e1002453. , , , and
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Longman, Harlow. , and
- 2012. Use of different sources of information for the recovery and genetic management of endangered populations: example with the extreme case of Iberian pig Dorado strain. Livestock Science 149:282–288. , , , , , and
- 2008. A global assessment of salmon aquaculture impacts on wild salmonids. PLoS Biology 6:e33. , and
- 2002. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and
- 2012. Prediction of breed composition in an admixed cattle population. Animal Genetics 43:696–703. , , , , and
- 2009. ASReml User Guide Release 3.0. VSN International Ltd, Hemel Hepstead. , , , and
- 2009. Genomic selection: prediction of accuracy and maximisation of long term response. Genetica 136:245–257.
- 2007. The impact of genetic relationship information on genome-assisted breeding values. Genetics 177:2389–2397. , , and
- 2008. Technical note: prediction of breeding values using marker-derived relationship matrices. Journal of Animal Science 86:2089–2092. , and
- 2009a. Invited review: genomic selection in dairy cattle: progress and challenges. Journal of Dairy Science 92:433–443. , , , and
- 2009b. Increased accuracy of artificial selection by using the realized relationship matrix. Genetics Research 91:47–60. , , and
- 2011. Next-generation RAD sequencing identifies thousands of SNPs for assessing hybridization between rainbow and westslope cutthroat trout. Molecular Ecology Resources 11:117–122. , , , , and
- 2012. Molecular tools and analytical approaches for the characterization of farm animal genetic diversity. Animal Genetics 43:483–502. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Prediction of total genetic value using genome-wide dense marker maps. Genetics 157:1819–1829. , , and
- 2005. Genetic structure of an endangered Portuguese semiferal pony breed, the Garrano. Biochemical Genetics 43:347–364. , , , and
- 2009. Inference of admixture in the endangered Blanca Cacereña bovine breed by microsatellite analyses. Livestock Science 122:314–322. , , , , and
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and
- 2008. Detecting hybridization between wild species and their domesticated relatives. Molecular Ecology 17:285–293.
- 1996. Extinction by hybridization and introgression. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 27:83–109. , and
- 2010. The Australian sheep industry – undergoing transformation. Animal Production Science 50:991–997.
- 2011. Crossbreeding results in Canadian dairy cattle for production, reproduction and conformation. The Open Agriculture Journal 5:63–72. , , , and
- 2008. Are cattle, sheep, and goats endangered species? Molecular Ecology 17:275–284. , , , , , , and
- 2001. Impact of high-yielding foreign breeds on the Spanish dairy sheep industry. Livestock Production Science 71:3–10. , , , and
- 2008. SNP discovery and allele frequency estimation by deep sequencing of reduced representation libraries. Nature Methods 5:247–252. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Genomic inbreeding and relationships among Holsteins, Jerseys, and Brown Swiss. Journal of Dairy Science 94:5673–5682. , , , , and
- 2010. Desing and role of an information nucleus in sheep breeding programs. Animal Production Science 50:998–1003. , , and
- 2011. Breeding value prediction for production traits in layer chickens using pedigree or genomic relationships in a reduced animal model. Genetics Selection Evolution 43:5. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Common SNPs explain a large proportion of the heritability for human height. Nature Genetics 42:565–569. , , , , , , et al.