Reviews and Synthesis
Plasticity and genetic adaptation mediate amphibian and reptile responses to climate change
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Special Issue: Climate change, adaptation and phenotypic plasticity
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 88–103, January 2014
How to Cite
Urban, M. C., Richardson, J. L. and Freidenfelds, N. A. (2014), Plasticity and genetic adaptation mediate amphibian and reptile responses to climate change. Evolutionary Applications, 7: 88–103. doi: 10.1111/eva.12114
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 APR 2013
- NSF. Grant Number: DEB-1119877
- James S. McDonnell Foundation
- 2010. Increasing melanism along a latitudinal gradient in a widespread amphibian: local adaptation, ontogenic or environmental plasticity? BMC Evolutionary Biology 10:317. , , , , , and
- 2011. Allen's rule revisited: quantitative genetics of extremity length in the common frog along a latitudinal gradient. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24:59–70. , , , , , and
- 2012. Effects of hydroperiod duration on survival, development rate, and size at metamorphosis in boreal chorus frog tadpoles (Pseudacris maculata). Herpetologica 68:456–467. , , , and
- 2012. Hotter nests produce smarter young lizards. Biology Letters 8:372–374. , and
- 1995. Amphibian breeding and climate. Nature 374:219–220.
- 2013. Detrimental influence on performance of high temperature incubation in a tropical reptile: is cooler better in the tropics? Oecologia 171:83–91. , , and
- 2002. Complexity in conservation: lessons from the global decline of amphibian populations. Ecology Letters 5:597–608. , and
- 2001. Amphibian breeding and climate change. Conservation Biology 15:1804–1809. , , , , , and
- 2006. Influence of incubation temperature on hatchling phenotype in reptiles. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 79:274–281.
- 2011. Potentially adaptive effects of maternal nutrition during gestation on offspring phenotype of a viviparous reptile. The Journal of Experimental Biology 214:4234–4239. , , and
- 2003. Climate change and amphibian declines: is there a link? Diversity and Distributions 9:111–121. , and
- 2006. Global warming and positive fitness response in mountain populations of common lizards Lacerta vivipara. Global Change Biology 12:392–402. , , , and
- 2005. Environmental quality and evolutionary potential: lessons from wild populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 272:1415–1425. , and
- 2011. Elevated temperature as a treatment for Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis infection in captive frogs. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 94:235–238. , and
- 2011. Rapid range shifts of species associated with high levels of climate warming. Science 333:1024–1026. , , , , and
- 1995. Phenotypic similarity and the evolutionary significance of countergradient variation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10:248–252. , and
- 2005. Climate change and amphibians. Animal Biodiversity and Conservation 28(1):59–67.
- 2007. The effects of temperature and pH on the embryonic development of two species of Triturus (Caudata: Salamandridae). Amphibia-Reptilia 28:295–300. , , and
- 2009. Superficial lizards in cold climates: nest site choice along an elevational gradient. Austral Ecology 34:773–779.
- 2006. Nest site choice compensates for climate effects on sex ratios in a lizard with environmental sex determination. Evolutionary Ecology 20:307–330. , , , , , and
- 2012. Patterns of genetic variation in desiccation tolerance in embryos of the terrestrial-breeding frog, Pseudophryne guentheri. Evolution; International Journal of Organic Evolution 66:2865–2877. , , and
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton UP, Princeton, NJ.
- 2001. Constraint to adaptive evolution in response to global warming. Science 294:151–154. , and
- 2005. Geographic variation in the pattern of temperature-dependent sex determination in the American snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina). Journal of Zoology 265:81–95. , , and
- 2005. Supplementation or in situ conservation? Evidence of local adaptation in the Italian agile frog Rana latastei and consequences for the management of populations. Animal Conservation 8:33–40. , and
- 2011. Nothing a hot bath won't cure: infection rates of amphibian chytrid fungus correlate negatively with water temperature under natural field settings. PLoS One 6:e28444. , and
- 2014. Evolutionary and plastic responses to climate change in terrestrial plant populations. Evolutionary Applications 7:123–139. , , and
- 2004. Microgeographical variation in thermal preference by an amphibian. Ecology Letters 7:369–373. , and
- 2010. Detrimental effect of temperature increase on the fitness of an amphibian (Lissotriton helveticus). Acta Oecologica 36:179–183. , and
- 2000. The global decline of reptiles, deja vu amphibians. BioScience 50:653–666. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Climate warming and calling phenology of frogs near Ithaca, New York, 1900-1999. Conservation Biology 15:1175–1178. , and
- 2006. Effects of warming conditions in eastern North American forests on red-backed salamander morphology. Conservation Biology 20:913–917. , and
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology 17:167–178. , , , , and
- 1995. When does evolution by natural selection prevent extinction? Evolution 49:201–207. , and
- 2006. Interaction between biotic and abiotic factors determines tadpole survival rate under natural conditions. Ecoscience 13:413–421. , and
- 2012. Plasticity of preferred body temperatures as means of coping with climate change? Biology Letters 8:262–265.
- 2007. Investigating the potential impacts of climate change on a marine turtle population. Global Change Biology 13:923–932. , , , and
- 1999. The pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53:1637–1653. , and
- 1999. Heritable variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14:96–101. , and
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptation. Nature 470:479–485. , and
- 1990. The microevolutionary consequences of climate change. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 5:311–315.
- 2000. Quantitative evidence for global amphibian population declines. Nature 404:752–755. , , , , and
- 2009. Why tropical forest lizards are vulnerable to climate warming. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B Biological Sciences 276:1939–1948. , , , , , , and
- 2010. Are lizards toast? Science 328:832–833. , , and
- 1994. Climate change and temperature-dependent sex determination. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 91:7487–7490.
- 2010. An examination of amphibian sensitivity to environmental contaminants: are amphibians poor canaries? Ecology Letters 13:60–67. , , , and
- 2008. Long-term trends toward earlier breeding of Japanese amphibians. Journal of Herpetology 42:608–614. , and
- 2010. Cohort variation, climate effects and population dynamics in a short-lived lizard. Journal of Animal Ecology 79:1296–1307. , , and
- 2000. Practical Meta-Analysis. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA. , and
- 2010. Geographical variation in body size and sexual size dimorphism of introduced American bullfrogs in southwestern China. Biological Invasions 12:2037–2047. , , and
- 2009. The velocity of climate change. Nature 462:1052–1055. , , , , , and
- 2006. Global warming and extinctions of endemic species from biodiversity hotspots. Conservation Biology 20:538–548. , , , , and
- 2008. Climate warming, dispersal inhibition and extinction risk. Global Change Biology 14:461–469. , , and
- 2011. Effective heritability of targets of sex-ratio selection under environmental sex determination. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24:784–794. , and
- 2010. Inheritance of nesting behaviour across natural environmental variation in a turtle with temperature-dependent sex determination. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 277:1219–1226. , , , , and
- 2014. Climate change, adaptation, and phenotypic plasticity: the problem and the evidence. Evolutionary Applications 7:1–14. , and
- 2001. Explaining stasis: microevolutionary studies in natural populations. Genetica 112–113:199–222. , , and
- 2011. Staying cool, keeping strong: incubation temperature affects performance in a freshwater turtle. Journal of Zoology 285:266–273. , , , , and
- 2012. The influence of daily temperature fluctuations during incubation upon the phenotype of a freshwater turtle. Journal of Zoology 288:143–150. , , , , and
- 2011. Plasticity in the timing of a major life-history transition and resulting changes in the age structure of populations of the salamander Hynobius retardatus. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 102:100–114.
- 2010. Influence of incubation temperature on morphology and locomotion performance of Leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea) hatchlings. Canadian Journal of Zoology-Revue Canadienne De Zoologie 88:359–368. , and
- 2010. Temperature-dependent sex determination and contemporary climate change. Sexual Development 4:129–140. , and
- 2011. Thermal constraints on embryonic development as a proximate cause for elevational range limits in two Mediterranean lacertid lizards. Ecography 34:1030–1039. , , , , and
- 2003. How rapidly can maternal behavior affecting primary sex ratio evolve in a reptile with environmental sex determination? American Naturalist 162:205–219.
- 2011. The lesser known challenge of climate change: thermal variance and sex-reversal in vertebrates with temperature-dependent sex determination. PLoS One 6:e18117. , and
- 2011. Striped marsh frog (Limnodynastes peronii) tadpoles do not acclimate metabolic performance to thermal variability. The Journal of Experimental Biology 214:1965–1970. , , , and
- 2012. Predicting the physiological performance of ectotherms in fluctuating thermal environments. The Journal of Experimental Biology 215:694–701. , , , , and
- 2011. In hot pursuit: fluctuating mating system and sexual selection in sand lizards. Evolution 65:574–583. , , , , , and
- 2010. Climatic adaptation in an isolated and genetically impoverished amphibian population. Ecography 33:730–737. , , and
- 2013. Larval life history and anti-predator strategies are affected by breeding phenology in an amphibian. Oecologia 171:873–881. , , , and
- 2007. Influences of species, latitudes and methodologies on estimates of phenological response to global warming. Global Change Biology 13:1860–1872.
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. , and
- 2010. Differences in spawning date between populations of common frog reveal local adaptation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107:8292–8297. , , , and
- 2000. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus. Springer, New York. , and
- 2006. Widespread amphibian extinctions from epidemic disease driven by global warming. Nature 439:161–167. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Northern natterjack toads (Bufo calamita) select breeding habitats that promote rapid development. Behaviour 149:737–754. , , , , , and
- 2007. Linking global warming to amphibian declines through its effects on female bodycondition and survivorship. Oecologia 151:125–131.
- 2012. Behavioural plasticity may compensate for climate change in a long-lived reptile with temperature-dependent sex determination. Biological Conservation 152:90–95. , and
- 2001. Morphological and behavioral plasticity of larval anurans in response to different predators. Ecology 82:523–540.
- 2014. Climate change in the oceans: evolutionary vs. phenotypically plastic responses. Evolutionary Applications 7:104–122.
- 1998. Among-family variation for environmental sex determination in reptiles. Evolution 52:1514–1520. , and
- 2010. Thermoregulatory behaviour affects prevalence of chytrid fungal infection in a wild population of Panamanian golden frogs. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 277:519–528.
- 2006. A comparative analysis of the adaptive developmental plasticity hypothesis in six Mediterranean anuran species along a pond permanency gradient. Evolutionary Ecology Research 8:1139–1154. , , and
- 2014. Contemporary climate change and terrestrial invertebrates: evolutionary versus plastic changes. Evolutionary Applications 7:56–67. , and
- 2012. Dispersal will limit ability of mammals to track climate change in the Western Hemisphere. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 109:8606–8611. , , and
- 2008. Climate change and temperature-dependent sex determination: can individual plasticity in nesting phenology prevent extreme sex ratios? Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 81:826–834. , and
- 2010. Erosion of lizard diversity by climate change and altered thermal niches. Science 328:894–899. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Effects of beaver on the thermal biology of an amphibian. Ecology Letters 3:483–486. , and
- 2007. Evolutionary responses to climate change. Conservation Biology 21:1353–1355. , , , , , , and
- 2007. Vertebrate phenology at similar latitudes: temperature responses differ between Poland and the United Kingdom. Climate Research 34:93–98. , , , , and
- 2010. Latitudinal variation in seasonal activity and mortality in ratsnakes (Elaphe obsoleta). Ecology 91:1860–1866. , , , and
- 2004. Status and trends of amphibian declines and extinctions worldwide. Science 306:1783–1786. , , , , , , and
- 2012. Effects of gestation temperature on offspring sex and maternal reproduction in a viviparous lizard (Eremias multiocellata) living at high altitude. Journal of Thermal Biology 37:438–444. , , , , , , and
- 2009. Nesting lizards (Bassiana duperreyi) compensate partly, but not completely, for climate change. Ecology 90:17–22. , , and
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427:145–148. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Climate change correlates with rapid delays and advancements in reproductive timing in an amphibian community. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 278:2191–2197. , , , and
- 2010. Short- and long-term effects of the abiotic egg environment on viability, development and vulnerability to predators of a Neotropical anuran. Functional Ecology 24:566–575. , and
- 2006. Is body size of the water frog Rana esculenta complex responding to climate change? Naturwissenschaften 93:110–113. , , , and
- 2010. Microgeographic adaptations of spotted salamander morphological defenses in response to a predaceous salamander and beetle. Oikos 119:646–658.
- 2012. A crucial step toward realism: responses to climate change from an evolving metacommunity perspective. Evolutionary Applications 5:154–167. , , , , and
- 2013. Moving forward: dispersal and species interactions determine biotic responses to climate change. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1297:44–60. , , and
- 2010. Conducting meta-analyses in R with the metafor package. Journal of Statistical Software 36:1–48.
- 1993. Effect of temperature on body size, developmental stage, and timing of hatching in Ambystoma maculatum. Journal of Herpetology 27:329–333.
- 1953. Genetic assimilation of an acquired character. Evolution 7:118–126.
- 2012. Community-level response to climate change: shifts in anuran calling phenology. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 7:249–257. , , , and
- 2009. Climate effects on offspring sex ratio in a viviparous lizard. Journal of Animal Ecology 78:84–90. , , , , , , and
- 2005. Linking climate and physiology at the population level for a key life-history stage of turtles. Canadian Journal of Zoology-Revue Canadienne De Zoologie 83:845–850. , , and
- 2010. Effect of gestation temperature on sexual and morphological phenotypes of offspring in a viviparous lizard, Eremias multiocellata. Journal of Thermal Biology 35:129–133. , , , , , and