Reviews and Synthesis
Evolutionary potential of marine phytoplankton under ocean acidification
Article first published online: 25 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Special Issue: Climate change, adaptation and phenotypic plasticity
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 140–155, January 2014
How to Cite
Collins, S., Rost, B. and Rynearson, T. A. (2014), Evolutionary potential of marine phytoplankton under ocean acidification. Evolutionary Applications, 7: 140–155. doi: 10.1111/eva.12120
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 25 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 APR 2013
- Royal Society UK University Research Fellowship
- European Research Council (ERC) FP7. Grant Numbers: 260266, 205150
- US NSF. Grant Number: OCE0727227
- 2010. Phenotypic and genotypic diversity in a planktonic population of the toxigenic marine dinoflagellate Alexandrium tamarense (Dinophyceae). Journal of Phycology 46:18–32. , , , , and
- 2002. Whole-genome shotgun assembly and analysis of the genome of Fugu rubripes. Science 297:1301–1310. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The genome of the diatomThalassiosira pseudonana: ecology, evolution, and metabolism. Science 306:79–86. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Phytoplankton community structure and the drawdown of nutrients and CO2 in the Southern Ocean. Science 283:365–367. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. An approach for particle sinking velocity measurements in the 3–400 μm size range and considerations on the effect of temperature on sinking rates. Marine Biology 159:1853–1864. , , , , , and
- 1998. The diversity and coevolution of Rubisco, plastids, pyrenoids, and chloroplast-based CO2-concentrating mechanisms in algae. Canadian Journal of Botany 76:1052–1071. , , , , , , and
- 1996. The 1991 coccolithophore bloom in the central North Atlantic. 1. Optical properties and factors affecting their distribution. Limnology and Oceanography 41:1669–1683. , , and
- 2011. Sensitivity of coccolithophores to carbonate chemistry and ocean acidification. Nature 476:80–83. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Reduction of adaptive genetic diversity radically alters eco-evolutionary community dynamics. Ecology Letters 13:989–997. , , , and
- 2013. Emiliania huxleyi increases calcification but not expression of calcification-related genes in long-term exposure to elevated temperature and pCO2. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 368:1627 20130049. , , , , , , and
- 2012. The implications of nongenetic inheritance for evolution in changing environments. Evolutionary Applications 5:192–201. , , and
- 2013. Marine phytoplankton temperature versus growth responses from polar to tropical waters – outcome of a scientific community-wide study. PLoS ONE 8:e63091. , , , , , , et al.
- 1981. Genetic variability in reproduction rates in marine phytoplankton populations. Evolutionary Biology 35:1117–1127.
- 1990. Review of genetic variation in marine phytoplankton species and the ecological implications. Biological Oceanography 6:397–409.
- 1990. Viruses as partners in spring bloom microbial trophodynamics. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 56:1400–1405. , , , and
- 1999. Effect of CO2 concentration on C:N:P ratio in marine phytoplankton: a species comparison. Limnology and Oceanography 44:683–690. , , and
- 2003. Oceanography: anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH. Nature 425:365–365. , and
- 2013. The effects of changing climate on microzooplankton grazing and community structure: drivers, predictions and knowledge gaps. Journal of Plankton Research 35:235–252. , and
- 1971. Intraspecific differences in nitrate half-saturation constants for three species of marine phytoplankton. Ecology 52:183–185. , and
- 2009. Lack of population genetic structuring in the marine planktonic diatom Pseudo-nitzschia pungens (Bacillariophyceae) in a heterogeneous area in the Southern Bight of the North Sea. Marine Biology 156:1149–1158. , , , , , , and
- 2010. Limits to gene flow in a cosmopolitan marine planktonic diatom. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107:12952–12957. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Adaptation, plasticity, and extinction in a changing environment: towards a predictive theory. PLoS biology 8:e1000357. , , and
- 2009. Development of compound microsatellite markers in red-tide-causing dinoflagellate Akashiwo sanguinea (Dinophyceae). Molecular Ecology Resources 9:915–917. , , , and
- 2011a. Competition limits adaptation and productivity in a photosynthetic alga at elevated CO2. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 278:247–255.
- 2011b. Many possible worlds: expanding the ecological scenarios in experimental evolution. Evolutionary Biology 38:3–14.
- 2004. Phenotypic consequences of 1000 generations of selection at elevated CO2 in a green alga. Nature 431:566–569. , and
- 1995. Phenotypic similarity and the evolutionary significance of countergradient variation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 10:248–252. , and
- 2010. Experimental evolution with E. coli in diverse resource environments. I. Fluctuating environments promote divergence of replicate populations. BMC Evolutionary Biology 10:11. , and
- 1995. The role of sex in the sedimentation of a marine diatom bloom. Limnology and Oceanography 40:200–204.
- 2011. The response of Thalassiosira pseudonana to long-term exposure to increased CO2 and decreased pH. PLoS ONE 6:e26695. , , , , and
- 2011. Unveiling the mysteries of phytoplankton life cycles: patterns and opportunities behind complexity. Journal of Plankton Research 33:3–12. , and
- 2007. Factors influencing the sinking of POC and the efficiency of the biological carbon pump. Deep Sea Research Pt II 54:639–658. , and
- 2002. The draft genome of Ciona intestinalis: insights into chordate and vertebrate origins. Science 298:2157–2167. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The microbial ocean from genomes to biomes. Nature 459:200–206.
- 2009. Ocean acidification: the other CO2 problem. Annual Review of Marine Science 1:169–192. , , , and
- 1975. Upwelling, clone selection, and the characteristic shape of nutrient uptake curves. Limnology and Oceanography 20:487–489.
- 2012. Phenotypic plasticity facilitates mutational variance, genetic variance, and evolvability along the major axis of environmental variation. Evolutionary Biology 66:2891–2902. , and
- 2010. Revelle revisited: buffer factors that quantify the response of ocean chemistry to changes in DIC and alkalinity. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 24:GB1002. , , and
- 2003. Evolution experiments with microorganisms: the dynamics and genetic bases of adaptation. Nature Reviews Genetics 4:457–469. , and
- 1987. Patterns of genotypic diversity in clonal plant species. American Journal of Botany 74:123–131. , and
- 2011. Diversity and dynamics of a widespread bloom of the toxic dinoflagellate Alexandrium fundyense. PLoS ONE 6:e22965. , , , and
- 2004. Microsatellite marker development and genetic variation in the toxic marine diatom Pseudo-nitzschia multiseries (Bacillariophyceae). Journal of Phycology 40:911–920. , , , and
- 2005. High levels of genetic diversity and low levels of genetic differentiation in North Sea Pseudo-nitzschia pungens (Bacillariophyceae) populations. Journal of Phycology 41:506–514. , , and
- 2007. Aquatic Photosynthesis. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , and
- 1998. Biogeochemical controls and feedbacks on ocean primary production. Science 281:200–206. , , and
- 2009. Ocean acidification: present conditions and future changes in a high- CO2 world. Oceanography 22:36–47. , , and
- 1998. Primary production of the biosphere: integrating terrestrial and oceanic components. Science 281:237–240. , , , and
- 2012. Changes in pH at the exterior surface of plankton with ocean acidification. Nature Climate Change 2:510–513. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The ‘Cheshire Cat’ escape strategy of the coccolithophore Emiliania huxleyi in response to viral infection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105:15944–15949. , , , , and
- 2010. CO2 and phosphate availability control the toxicity of the harmful bloom dinoflagellate Karlodinium veneficum. Aquatic Microbiology and Ecology 59:55–65. , , , and
- 2009. Microbial community structure and its functional implications. Nature 459:193–199.
- 1980. Population genetics of Skeletonema costatum (Bacillariophyceae) in Narragansett Bay. Journal of Phycology 16:464–474.
- 1982. Physiological variation and electrophoretic banding patterns of genetically different seasonal popluations of Skeletonema costatum (Bacillariophyceae). Journal of Phycology 18:148–162.
- 1998. The fate of competing beneficial mutations in an asexual population. Genetica 102–103:127–144. , and
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Functional Ecology 21:394–407. , , , and
- 2010. Linking the planktonic and benthic habitat: genetic structure of the marine diatom Skeletonema marinoi. Molecular Ecology 19:4478–4490. , and
- 2010. Cryptic sex in the smallest eukaryotic marine green alga. Molecular Biology and Evolution 27:47–54. , , , , and
- 2011. Hundred years of genetic structure in a sediment revived diatom population. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108:4252–4257. , , , and
- 2011. Cryptic genetic variation promotes rapid evolutionary adaptation in an RNA enzyme. Nature 474:92–95. , , and
- 2009. Oceanic acidification affects marine carbon pump and triggers extended marine oxygen holes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106:3017–3022. , and
- 1993. A biogeochemical study of the coccolithophore Emiliania huxleyi, in the North Atlantic. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 7:879–900. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Mass sexual reproduction in the toxigenic diatoms Pseudo-nitzschia australis and P. pungens (Bacillariophyceae) on the Washington coast, USA. Journal of Phycology 46:41–52. , , , , and
- 2011. Emiliania huxleyi shows identical responses to elevated pCO2 in TA and DIC manipulations. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 406:54–62. , , and
- 2013. Iron limitation modulates ocean acidification effects on Southern Ocean phytoplankton communities. PLoS ONE 8:e79890. , , , , , and
- 2006. Intraspecific genetic diversity in the marine cocolithophore Emiliania huxleyi (Prymnesiophyceae): the use of microsatellite analysis in marine phytoplankton population studies. Journal of Phycology 42:526–536. , , , , and
- 1992. Size reduction, reproductive strategy and the life cycle of a centric diatom. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 335:191–213.
- 2013. Evolutionary responses of a coccolithophorid Geophyrocapsa oceanica to ocean acidification. Evolutionary Biology 67:1869–1878. , , and
- 2002. Association of sinking organic matter with various types of mineral ballast in the deep sea: implications for the rain ratio. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 16:1116. , and
- 2013. Positive selection within a diatom species acts on putative protein interactions and transcriptional regulation. Molecular Biology and Evolution 30:422–434. , , and
- 2009. Carbon acquisition by Trichodesmium: the effect of pCO2 and diurnal changes. Limnology and Oceanography 54:548–559. , , , and
- 2010. Combined effects of CO2 and light on the N2-fixing cyanobacterium Trichodesmium IMS101: physiological responses. Plant physiology 154:334–345. , , , , , and
- 2012. Intraspecific variability in the response of bloom-forming marine microalgae to changed climate conditions. Ecology and Evolution 2:1195–1207. , , , , , , and
- 2009. Adaptation to an extraordinary environment by evolution of phenotypic plasticity and genetic assimilation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:1435–1446.
- 2009. Strain-specific responses of Emiliania huxleyi to changing seawater carbonate chemistry. Biogeosciences 6:2637–2646. , , , and
- 2012a. Adaptive evolution of a key phytoplankton species to ocean acidification. Nature Geoscience 5:917–917. , , and
- 2012b. Functional genetic divergence in high CO2 adapted Emiliania huxleyi populations. Evolutionary Biology 67:1892–1900. , , , and
- 2011. The effect of elevated CO2 on growth and competition in experimental phytoplankton communities. Global Change Biology 17:2525–2535. , , and
- 2013. Long-term culture at elevated atmospheric CO2 fails to evoke specific adaptation in seven freshwater phytoplankton species. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 280:20122598. , , , and
- 2010. High genetic diversity and fine-scale spatial structure in the marine flagellate Oxyrrhis marina (Dinophyceae) uncovered by microsatellite loci. PLoS ONE 5:e15557. , , , and
- 2000. The effect of water motion on short-term rates of photosynthesis by marine phytoplankton. Trends in Plant Science 5:12–17. , , and
- 1996. Future ocean uptake of CO2: interaction between ocean circulation and biology. Climate Dynamics 12:711–721. , , and
- 1988. Why didn't Lund see sex in Asterionella? A discussion of the diatom life cycle in nature. In F. E. Round, ed. Algae and the Aquatic Environment, pp. 384–412. Biopress, Bristol, UK.
- 2009. Biogeographic analysis of the globally distributed harmful algal bloom species Alexandrium minutum (Dinophyceae) based on rRNA gene sequences and microsatellite markers1. Journal of Phycology, 45:454–463. , , , , and
- 2007. IPCC. In S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K. B. Averyt, M. Tignor, and H. L. Miller, eds. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, pp. 747–846. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK and New York, NY , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Diatom sinkings speeds: improved predictions and insight from a modified Stokes'' law. Limnology and Oceanography 55:2513–2525. , and
- 2007. Microsatellite markers reveal population genetic structure of the toxic dinoflagellate Alexandrium tamarense (Dinophyceae) in Japanese coastal waters. Journal of Phycology 43:43–54. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Genetic structuring and transfer of marine dinoflagellate Cochlodinium polykrikoides in Japanese and Korean coastal waters revealed by microsatellites. Molecular Ecology 18:2337–2352. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Development of microsatellite markers in the noxious red tide-causing algae Heterosigma akashiwo (Raphidophyceae). Molecular Ecology Notes 6:477–479. , , , and
- 1997. Feeding and reproduction by Calanus finmarchicus, and microzooplankton grazing during mesocosm blooms of diatoms and the coccolithophore Emiliania huxleyi. Marine Ecology Progress Series 147:197–217. , , and
- 2011. Carbon concentrating mechanisms in eukaryotic marine phytoplankton. Annual Review of Marine Science 3:291–315.
- 2012. Carbon dioxide regulation of nitrogen and phosphorus in four species of marine phytoplankton. Marine Ecology Progress Series 466:57–67.
- 2012. Extensive genetic diversity and rapid population differentiation during blooms of Alexandrium fundyense (Dinophyceae) in an isolated salt pond on Cape Cod, MA, USA. Ecology and Evolution 2:2583–2594. , , , , and
- 2000. Reduced calcification of marine plankton in response to increased atmospheric CO2. Nature 407:364–367. , , , , , and
- 2007. Enhanced biological carbon consumption in a high CO2 ocean. Nature 450:545–548. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Roles of viruses in the environment. Environmental Microbiology 11:2771–2774. , , and
- 2012. Effects of CO2 and their modulation by light in the life-cycle stages of the coccolithophore Emiliania huxleyi. Limnology and Oceanography 57:607–618. , and
- 2004. Coccolithophores and the biological pump: responses to environmental changes. In H. R. Thierstein, and J. R. Young, eds. Coccolithophores: From Molecular Processes to Global Impact, pp. 99–125. Springer, Berlin. , and
- 2003. Carbon acquisition of bloom-forming marine phytoplankton. Limnology and Oceanography 48:55–67. , , , and
- 2006. Carbon acquisition of marine phytoplankton: effect of photoperiod length. Limnology and Oceanography 51:12–20. , , and
- 2008. Sensitivity of phytoplankton to future changes in ocean carbonate chemistry: current knowledge, contradictions and research directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 373:227–237. , , and
- 2000. DNA fingerprinting reveals extensive genetic diversity in a field population of the centric diatom Ditylum brightwellii. Limnology and Oceanography 45:1329–1340. , and
- 2004. Genetic differentiation among populations of the planktonic marine diatom Ditylum brightwellii (Bacillariophyceae). Journal of Phycology 40:34–43. , and
- 2005. Maintenance of clonal diversity during a spring bloom of the centric diatom Ditylum brightwellii. Molecular Ecology 14:1631–1640. , and
- 2006. Spring bloom development, genetic variation and population succession in the planktonic diatom Ditylum brightwellii. Limnology and Oceanography 51:1249–1261. , , and
- 2013. Variation in plastic responses of a globally distributed picoplankton species to ocean acidification. Nature Climate Change 3:298–302. , , , and
- 1997. What is a bloom? A commentary. Limnology and Oceanography 42:1132–1136.
- 1985. Role of sinking in diatom life-history cycles: ecological, evolutionary and geological significance. Marine Biology 84:239–251.
- 2010. Projected 21st century decrease in marine productivity: a multi-model analysis. Biogeosciences 7:979–1005. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013a. Short- versus lon-term responses to changing CO2 in a coastal dinoflagellate bloom: implications for interspecific competitive interactions and community structure. Evolutionary Biology 67:1879–1891. , , , , , and
- 2013b. Short- and long-term conditioning of a temperate marine diatom community to acidification and warming. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 368:20120437. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Inorganic carbon acquisition in coastal Pacific phytoplankton communities. Limnology and Oceanography 45:1485–1500. , , and
- 2008. CO2 sensitivity of Southern Ocean phytoplankton. Geophysical Research Letters 35:L4065. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The effect of pCO2 on carbon acquisition and intracellular assimilation in four marine diatoms. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 376:26–36. , , , and
- 2004. Emiliania huxleyi: bloom observations and the conditions that cause them. In H. R. Thierstein, and J. R. Young, eds. Coccolithophores: From Molecular Processes to Global Impact, pp. 75–97. Springer, Berlin. , and
- 1985. Ocean carbon pumps: analysis of relative strengths and efficiencies in ocean-driven atmospheric CO2 changes. In E. T. Sundquist, and W. S. Broecker, eds. The Carbon Cycle and Atmospheric CO2: Natural Variations Archean to Present, pp. 99–110. AGU, Washington, DC. , and
- 2009. From small hosts come big viruses: the complete genome of a second Ostreococcus taurivirus, OtV-1. Environmental Microbiology 11:2821–2839. , , , , and
- 2011. Genome sequence of Ostreococcus tauri Virus OtV-2 throws light on the role of picoeukaryote niche separation in the ocean. Journal of Virology 85:4520–4529. , , , , and
- 2012. Phytoplankton response to a changing climate. Hydrobiologia 698:5–16. , and
- 1999. Direct effects of CO2 concentration on growth and isotopic composition of marine plankton. Tellus B 51:461–476. , , , and