Reviews and Synthesis
Climate change and mammals: evolutionary versus plastic responses
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Special Issue: Climate change, adaptation and phenotypic plasticity
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 29–41, January 2014
How to Cite
Boutin, S. and Lane, J. E. (2014), Climate change and mammals: evolutionary versus plastic responses. Evolutionary Applications, 7: 29–41. doi: 10.1111/eva.12121
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 APR 2013
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council. Grant Number: NSERC RGPIN 3361-2008
- 2008. Climate- and resource-driven long-term changes in dormice populations negatively affect hole-nesting songbirds. Journal of Zoology 275:209–215. , and
- 2006. Anticipatory reproduction and population growth in seed predators. Science 314:1928–1930. , , , , , and
- 2011. Demographic consequences of increased winter births in a large aseasonally breeding mammal (Bos taurus) in response to climate change. Journal of Animal Ecology 80:1134–1144. , , , , , and
- 2014. Climate change and timing of avian breeding and migration: evolutionary versus plastic changes. Evolutionary Applications 7:15–28. , and
- 2010. Getting the timing right: antler growth phenology and sexual selection in a wild red deer population. Oecologia 164:357–368. , , , , and
- 2011. Variances and covariances of phenological traits in a wild mammal population. Evolution 65:788–801. , , , , and
- 2014. Climate change and microbes: evolutionary vs. plastic responses. Evolutionary Applications 7:140–155. , , and
- 2005. Selection and genetic (co)variance in bighorn sheep. Evolution 59:1372–1382. , , , and
- 2003. Artificial selection: a powerful tool for ecologists. Ecology 84:1650–1660.
- 1995. Phenotypic similarity and the evolutionary significance of countergradient variation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 10:248–252. , and
- 2003. Estimating selection on neonatal traits in red deer using elasticity path analysis. Evolution 57:2879–2892. , , , , and
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, New Jersey.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Longman, Harlow, UK. , and
- 2010. Towards a synthetic understanding of the role of phenology in ecology and evolution. Proceedings of the Royal Society-B Biological Sciences 365:3101–3112. , and
- 2013. The temperature response of soil microbial efficiency and its feedback to climate. Nature Climate Change 3:395–398. , , , and
- 2009. Evolution, 2nd edn. Sinauer Associates, Massachusetts.
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology 17:167–178. , , , , and
- 2012. Avian body size changes and climate change: warming or increasing variability. Global Change Biology 18:63–73. , , , , and
- 2010. The misuse of BLUP in ecology and evolution. American Naturalist 175:116–125. , , , , and
- 1950. Estimation of genetic parameters. Annals of Mathematical Statistics 21:309–310.
- 1976. Simple method for computing inverse of a numerator relationship matrix used in prediction of breeding values. Biometrics 32:69–83.
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. American Naturalist 173:579–588.
- 2002. Climate-mediated energetic constraints on the distribution of hibernating mammals. Nature 418:313–316. , , and
- 2000. Climate change is affecting altitudinal migrants and hibernating species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 97:1630–1633. , , , and
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2007. The Physical Science Basis: Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1995. Phenotypic plasticity as a product of selection in a variable environment. American Naturalist 145:493–512.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecology Letters 7:1225–1241. , and
- 1997. Positional cloning of the mouse circadian Clock gene. Cell 89:641–653. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. American Naturalist 157:245–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Climatic determinants of white spruce cone crops in the boreal forest of southwestern Yukon. Botany 90:113–119. , , , and
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in natural populations using the ‘animal model’. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London-B Biological Sciences 359:873–890.
- 2007. How to separate genetic and environmental causes of similarity between relatives. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:1890–1903. , and
- 2007. Local-scale synchrony and variability in mast seed production patterns of Picea glauca. Journal of Ecology 95:991–1000. , and
- 1996. The role of genetic variation in adaptation and population persistence in a changing environment. Evolution 50:434–437. , and
- 2011. A quantitative genetic analysis of hibernation emergence date in a wild population of Columbian ground squirrels. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24:1949–1959. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Delayed phenology and reduced fitness associated with climate change in a wild hibernator. Nature 489:554–557. , , , , and
- 1985. Seasonality, fasting endurance, and the body size of mammals. American Naturalist 125:873–878. , and
- 2000. The zoogeography of mammalian basal metabolic rate. American Naturalist 156:201–219.
- 2007. A framework of debate of assisted migration in an era of climate change. Conservation Biology 21:297–302. , , and
- 2009. Global change and carnivore body size: data are stasis. Global Ecology and Biogeography 18:240–247. , , , and
- 2014. Climate change, adaptation, and phenotypic plasticity: the problem and the evidence. Evolutionary Applications 7:1–14. , and
- 2004. Climate change and the initiation of spring breeding by deer mice in the Kananaskis Valley, 1985-2003. Canadian Journal of Zoology 82:1444–1450. , and
- Millenium Ecosystem Assessment 2005. Ecosystems and Human Well-Being: Synthesis. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- 1999. Repeated selection of morphometric traits in the Soay sheep on St Kilda. Journal of Animal Ecology 68:472–488. , , , , and
- 2000. Estimating variance components and heritabilities in the wild: a case study using the ‘animal model’ approach. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 13:804–813. , , , and
- 2010. Effects of Climate Change on Birds. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , , and
- 2011. Advancing breeding phenology in response to environmental change in a wild red deer population. Global Change Biology 17:2455–2469. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Heritability of energetics in a wild mammal, the leaf-eared mouse (Phyllotis darwini). Evolution 57:1679–1688. , , and
- 2005. Constraints on plastic responses to climate variation in red deer. Biology Letters 1:457–460. , , , , and
- 2009. The dynamics of phenotypic change and the shrinking sheep of St. Kilda. Science 325:464–467. , , , , , and
- 2010. Coupled dynamics of body mass and population growth in response to environmental change. Nature 466:482–485. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 37:637–669.
- 2010. Differences in spawning date between populations of common frog reveal local adaptation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 107:8292–8297. , , , and
- 2008. Climate change reduces reproductive success of an Arctic herbivore through trophic mismatch. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society-B Biological Sciences 363:2369–2375. , and
- 2006. Implications of the difference between true and predicted breeding values for the study of selection and microevolution. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19:309–320.
- 1999. Heritability of body mass varies with age and season in wild bighorn sheep. Heredity 83:526–532. , , and
- 2003a. Genetic and plastic responses of a northern mammal to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London-B Biological Sciences 270:591–596. , , , and
- 2003b. Lifetime selection on heritable life-history traits in a natural population of red squirrels. Evolution 57:2416–2423. , , , and
- 2014. Climate change in the oceans: evolutionary versus phenotypically plastic responses of marine animals and plants. Evolutionary Applications 7:104–122.
- 2009. Assisted colonization is not a viable conservation strategy. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24:248–253. , and
- 2014. Contemporary climate change and terrestrial invertebrates: evolutionary versus plastic changes. Evolutionary Applications 7:56–67. , and
- 2012. Dispersal will limit ability of mammals to track climate change in the western hemisphere. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 109:8606–8611. , , and
- 2011. Phenological variation in annual timing of hibernation and breeding in nearby populations of Arctic ground squirrels. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London-B Biological Sciences 278:2369–2375. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. The influence of climate change on body mass of woodrats Neotoma in an arid region of New Mexico, USA. Ecography 21:140–148. , , and
- 2010. Adaptation genomics: the next generation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 25:705–712. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Effects of climate warming on polar bears: a review of the evidence. Global Change Biology 18:2694–2706. , and
- 2013. Decreasing litter size of marmots over time: a life history response to climate change? Ecology 94:580–586. , , , , and
- 2014. Climate warming and Bergmann's rule through time: is there any evidence? Evolutionary Applications 7:156–168. , and
- 2010. Trophic level asynchrony in rates of phenological change for marine, freshwater and terrestrial environments. Global Change Biology 16:3304–3313. , , , , , , et al.
- 2014. Plasticity and genetic adaptation mediate amphibian and reptile responses to climate change. Evolutionary Applications 7:88–103. , , and
- 2003. Body sizes of carnivores commensal with humans have increased over the past 50 years. Functional Ecology 17:323–327.
- 2004. Climate change and body size in two species of Japanese rodents. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 82:263–267. , and
- 2005. Global warming, Bergmann's rule and body size in the masked shrew Sorex cinereus Kerr in Alaska. Journal of Animal Ecology 74:803–808. , and
- 2006. Body size changes among otters, Lutra lutra, in Norway: the possible effects of food availability and global warming. Oecologia 206:155–160. , , , and
- 2007. Body size of the red foxVulpes vulpes in Spain: the effect of agriculture. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 90:729–734. , , , and
- 2008. Recent increase in body size of the American marten Martes americana in Alaska. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 93:701–707. , , and
- 2012. Environmental and genetic influences on body mass and resting metabolic rates (RMR) in a natural population of weasel Mustela nivalis. Molecular Ecology 21:1283–1293. , , , and