Linking genotype, ecotype, and phenotype in an intensively managed large carnivore
Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 7, Issue 2, pages 301–312, February 2014
How to Cite
Shafer, A. B. A., Nielsen, S. E., Northrup, J. M. and Stenhouse, G. B. (2014), Linking genotype, ecotype, and phenotype in an intensively managed large carnivore. Evolutionary Applications, 7: 301–312. doi: 10.1111/eva.12122
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 MAY 2013
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Alberta Conservation Association
- Alberta Innovates-Bio Solutions
- Foothills Research Institute Grizzly Bear Program
- 2006. Patterns in body mass distributions: sifting among alternative hypotheses. Ecology Letters 9:630–643. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. What should we weigh to estimate heterozygosity, alleles or loci? Molecular Ecology 15:4659–4665. , , and
- 2004. Does heterozygosity estimate inbreeding in real populations? Molecular Ecology 13:3021–3031. , , and
- 1995. Biological consequences of relocating grizzly bears in the Yellowstone ecosystem. The Journal of Wildlife Management 59:560–565. , and
- 1987. Nuisance grizzly bear, Ursus arctos, translocations in the greater Yellowstone area. Canadian Field-Naturalist 101:569–575.
- 2009. Experimental evidence that competition and habitat use shape the individual fitness surface. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:97–108.
- Canadian Council on Animal Care 2003. CCAC guidelines on: the care and use of wildlife.
- 2002. A body-condition index for ursids. Canadian Journal of Zoology 80:1156–1161. , , , and
- 2003a. Physiologic responses of grizzly bears to different methods of capture. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 39:649–654. , , , and
- 2003b. Anesthesia of grizzly bears using xylazine-zolazepam-tiletamine or zolazepam-tiletamine. Ursus 14:88–93. , , and
- 2008. An evaluation of long-term capture effects in ursids: implications for wildlife welfare and research. Journal of Mammalogy 89:973–990. , , , , and
- 2012. Human perspectives and conservation of grizzly bears in Banff National Park, Canada. Conservation Biology 26:420–431. , , and
- 2009. A quantitative review of heterozygosity–fitness correlations in animal populations. Molecular Ecology 18:2746–2765. , , and
- 1999. Parasite-mediated selection against inbred soay sheep in a free-living, island population. Evolution 53:1259–1267. , , , and
- 2012. Spatial and temporal heterogeneity creates a “brown tide” in root phenology and nutrition. ISRN Ecology 2012:10. , , and
- 2007. When bigger is not better: selection against large size, high condition and fast growth in juvenile lemon sharks. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:201–212. , , , and
- 2008. Are indirect genetic benefits associated with polyandry? Testing predictions in a natural population of lemon sharks. Molecular Ecology 17:783–795. , , , and
- 2012. Non-random gene flow: an underappreciated force in evolution and ecology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 27:659–665. , and
- 1999. Heterosis and outbreeding depression in interpopulation crosses spanning a wide range of divergence. Evolution 53:1757–1768.
- 2007. Between a rock and a hard place: evaluating the relative risks of inbreeding and outbreeding for conservation and management. Molecular Ecology 16:463–475.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and
- 2008. Effect of energy availability, seasonality, and geographic range on brown bear life history. Ecography 23:193–200. , and
- 2006. A new method to estimate relatedness from molecular markers. Molecular Ecology 15:1657–1667. , and
- 2010. Status of the grizzly bear (Ursus arctos) in Alberta: Alberta Sustainable Resource Development. Wildlife Status Report No. 37 (updated 2010). Edmonton, AB. 44 pp. , and
- 2011. Predicting the probability of outbreeding depression. Conservation Biology 25:465–475. , , , , , , and
- 1992. Inference from iterative simulation using multiple sequences. Statistical Science 7:457–472. , and
- Government of Alberta: Sustainable Resources Development 2013. Grizzly bear mortality rates. http://www.srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/WildlifeManagement/BearManagement/GrizzlyBears/GrizzlyBearMortalityRates.aspx. (accessed on 1 June 2013).
- 2002. On the correlation between heterozygosity and fitness in natural populations. Molecular Ecology 11:2467–2474. , and
- 1999. The importance of meat, particularly salmon, to body size, population productivity, and conservation of North American brown bears. Canadian Journal of Zoology 77:132–138. , , , , ,
- 2012. Habitat use throughout migration: linking individual consistency, prior breeding success and future breeding potential. Journal of Animal Ecology 81:657–666. , , , and
- 2012. Testing the influence of family and outbreeding depression on heterozygosity-fitness correlations in small populations. Evolution 66:3624–3631. , , , and
- 2002. Inbreeding effects in wild populations. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17:230–241. , and
- 2007. How to separate genetic and environmental causes of similarity between relatives. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:1890–1903. , and
- 1997. Translocation of carnivores as a method for managing problem animals: a review. Biodiversity and Conservation 6:1245–1257. , , , and
- 1991. The genetic interpretation of inbreeding depression and outbreeding depression. Evolution 45:622–629.
- 1967. The detection of disease clustering and a generalized regression approach. Cancer Research 27:209–220.
- 2004. Neutral locus heterozygosity, inbreeding, and survival in Darwin's ground finches (Geospiza fortis and G. scandens). Heredity 92:306–315. , , , , , and
- 2000. Simultaneous inbreeding and outbreeding depression in reintroduced Arabian oryx. Animal Conservation 3:241–248. , and
- 1992. Yellowstone grizzly bear mortality, human habituation, and whitebark pine seed crops. The Journal of Wildlife Management 56:432–444. , , and
- 2003. Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salmar, as a result of interactions with escaped salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 270:2443–2450. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Implications of a high-energy and low-protein diet on the body composition, fitness, and competitive abilities of black (Ursus americanus) and grizzly (Ursus arctos) bears. Canadian Journal of Zoology 89:546–558.
- 2004. Genotype and genodive: two programs for the analysis of genetic diversity of asexual organisms. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:792–794. , and
- 1982. Homing of transplanted Alaskan brown bears. The Journal of Wildlife Management 46:869–876. , and
- 1984. Among protein heterozygosity, growth rate, and developmental homeostasis. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 15:477–499. , and
- 2012. Heterozygosity-fitness correlations in adult and juvenile Zenaida Dove, Zenaida aurita. The Journal of Heredity 104:47–56. , , , , and
- 2006. Major components of grizzly bear diet across North America. Canadian Journal of Zoology 84:473–489. , and
- 2006. Seasonal and diel patterns of grizzly bear diet and activity in west-central Alberta. Journal of Mammalogy 87:1112–1121. , , , , and
- 2003. Development and testing of phenologically driven grizzly bear habitat models. Ecoscience 10:1–10. , , , and
- 2010. Dynamic wildlife habitat models: seasonal foods and mortality risk predict occupancy-abundance and habitat selection in grizzly bears. Biological Conservation 143:1623–1634. , , , and
- 2013a. Does learning or instinct shape habitat selection? PLoS One 8:e53721. , , , and
- 2013b. Environmental, biological, and anthropogenic effects on grizzly bear body size: spatial and temporal considerations. BMC Ecology 13:31. , , , , , , and
- 2012. Mad cow policy and management of grizzly bear incidents. Wildlife Society Bulletin 36:499–505. , and
- 2012. Vehicle traffic shapes grizzly bear behaviour on a multiple-use landscape. Journal of Applied Ecology 49:1159–1167. , , , , , and
- 2007. Divergent host plant adaptation and reproductive isolation between ecotypes of Timema cristinae walking sticks. The American Naturalist 169:151–162.
- 2012. Ecological Speciation. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1999. Walker's Mammals of the World, 6th edn. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2011. Heterozygosity and survival in blue tits (Cyanistes caeruleus): contrasting effects of presumably functional and neutral loci. Molecular Ecology 20:4028–4041. , , and
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and
- 2004. A genetic-based spatial analysis of grizzly bears in Alberta. pp. 1–27. Alberta Sustainable Resource Development: Fish and Wildlife Division. , and
- 2004. Gender-specific dispersal distances of grizzly bears estimated by genetic analysis. Canadian Journal of Zoology 82:1108–1118. , , , and
- 2005. Genetic analysis reveals demographic fragmentation of grizzly bears yielding vulnerably small populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 272:2409–2416. , , , and
- 2011. Population fragmentation and inter-ecosystem movements of grizzly bears in western Canada and the northern United States. Wildlife Monographs 180:1–46. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Estimating relatedness using genetic markers. Evolution 43:258–275. , and
- R Core Development Team 2012. R 2.15.1.
- 2003. Correlation between fitness and genetic diversity. Conservation Biology 17:230–237. , and
- 2004. Nutritional ecology of ursids: a review of newer methods and management implications. Ursus 15:161–171. , , and
- 2009. Woodland caribou conservation in the Little Smoky: wolf management and the role of bears. MSc thesis. University of Alberta.
- 2001. Constraints on herbivory by grizzly bears. Oecologia 128:62–71. , , and
- 2008. genepop'007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for Windows and Linux. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:103–106.
- 2013. Widespread evidence for incipient ecological speciation: a meta-analysis of isolation-by-ecology. Ecology Letters 16:940–950. , and
- 2012. Habitat selection predicts genetic relatedness in an alpine ungulate. Ecology 93:1317–1329. , , , , , and
- 2010. Moisture as a determinant of habitat quality for a nonbreeding Neotropical migratory songbird. Ecology 91:2874–2882. , , and
- 1995. Biometry: The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research. WH Freeman & Co, New York. , and
- 2002. Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B (Statistical Methodology) 64:583–639. , , , and
- 1966. Age determination of black bears by cementum layers. The Journal of Wildlife Management 30:411–414. , and
- 1990. Grizzly bear reproductive rate relative to body size. Bears: Their Biology and Management 8:433–443.
- 2011. Negative heterozygosity-fitness correlations observed with microsatellites located in functional areas of the genome. Molecular Ecology 20:3949–3952. , and
- 2010. Heterozygosity-fitness correlations: a time for reappraisal. Evolution 64:1202–1217. , , and
- 1986. Coadaptation and Outbreeding Depression. In M. E. Soulé, ed. Conservation Biology: The Science of Scarcity and Diversity, pp. 105–116. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 1993. The Natural History of Inbreeding and Outbreeding: Theoretical and Empirical Perspectives. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1922. The genotypical response of the plant species to the habitat. Hereditas 3:211–235.
- 2007. Growth and survival trade-offs and outbreeding depression in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Evolution 61:1225–1237. , , and
- 2008. To what extent do microsatellite markers reflect genome-wide genetic diversity in natural populations? Molecular Ecology 17:3808–3817. , , , and
- 1997. Constraints on frugivory by bears. Ecology 78:1105–1119. , , , and
- 2006. Population density and food conditions determine adult female body size in brown bears. Journal of Mammalogy 87:510–518. , , and