Note: Authorship order following the first author is alphabetical.
Evolution of age and length at maturation of Alaskan salmon under size-selective harvest
Article first published online: 12 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 7, Issue 2, pages 313–322, February 2014
How to Cite
Kendall, N. W., Dieckmann, U., Heino, M., Punt, A. E. and Quinn, T. P. (2014), Evolution of age and length at maturation of Alaskan salmon under size-selective harvest. Evolutionary Applications, 7: 313–322. doi: 10.1111/eva.12123
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 12 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 MAR 2013
- Alaska Sustainable Salmon Fund
- School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences at the University of Washington
- Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
- National Science Foundation
- International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
- National Academy of Sciences
- 2009. Human-induced evolution caused by unnatural selection through harvest of wild animals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:9987–9994. , and
- 2008. Genetic effects of harvest on wild animal populations. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23:327–336. , , , , and
- 1983. Variability in median size and age at sexual maturity of Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua, on the Scotian Shelf in the northwest Atlantic Ocean. Fishery Bulletin 81:303–321.
- 1996. A review of size trends among North Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 53:455–465. , , and
- 2011. A model of Chinook salmon population dynamic incorporating size-selective exploitation and inheritance of polygenic correlated traits. Natural Resource Modeling 24:1–47. , , and
- 1991. Life history of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). In: C. Groot, and L. Margolis, eds. Pacific Salmon Life Histories. UBC Press, Vancouver.
- 1997. Twentieth-century sea surface temperature trends. Science 275:957–960. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications 1:222–238. , and
- 2007. Four decades of opposing natural and human-induced artificial selection acting on Windermere pike (Esox lucius). Ecology Letters 10:512–521. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426:655–658. , , , , , and
- 2003. Bristol Bay Sockeye Salmon Smolt Studies Using Upward-Looking Sonar, 2002. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Commercial Fisheries, Anchorage, AK. , and
- 1992. Bristol Bay Sockeye Salmon Smolt Studies for 1990. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Commercial Fisheries, Juneau, AK. , , and
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:952–954. , , , , , and
- 2009. Implications of fisheries-induced evolution for stock rebuilding and recovery. Evolutionary Applications 2:394–414. , , , , and
- 1976. Distribution and origin of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in offshore waters of the North Pacific Ocean. International North Pacific Fisheries Commission Bulletin 34:1–113. , , , and .
- 2008. Increase in maturation size after the closure of a high seas gillnet fishery on hatchery-reared chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta. Evolutionary Applications 1:376–387. , and
- 1986. Model of monthly marine growth and natural mortality for Babine Lake sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 43:999–1004. , and
- 2012. Reconsidering the consequences of selective fisheries. Science 335:1045–1047. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2008. Detecting fisheries-induced life-history evolution: an overview of the reaction norm approach. Bulletin of Marine Science 83:69–93. , and
- 2002a. Estimating reaction norms for age and size at maturation with reconstructed immature size distributions: a new technique illustrated by application to Northeast Arctic cod. ICES Journal of Marine Science 59:562–575. , , and
- 2002b. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and
- 2003. Biocomplexity and fisheries sustainability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 100:6564–6568. , , , and
- 1995. Potential effects of climate change on marine growth and survival of Fraser River sockeye salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 52:2651–2659. , , , , , , and
- 2009. Effects of population-specific variation in age and length on fishery selection and exploitation rates of sockeye salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66:896–908. , and
- 2012. Comparative size-selectivity among Alaskan sockeye salmon fisheries. Ecological Applications 22:804–816. , and
- 2009. Quantifying six decades of fishery selection for size and age at maturity in sockeye salmon. Evolutionary Applications 2:523–536. , , and
- 2011. Correlated contemporary evolution of life history traits in New Zealand Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. Heredity 106:448–459. , , and
- 2007. Does the probabilistic maturation reaction norm approach disentangle phenotypic plasticity from genetic change? Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:295–300.
- 1964. Marine growth of western Alaskan sockeye slamon (Oncorhynchus nerka). International North Pacific Fisheries Commission Bulletin 14:1–31. , and .
- 1966. Ocean mortality and growth. International North Pacific Fisheries Commission Annual Report 1964:105–111. , , , and .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and
- 2009. Patterns of change in climate and Pacific salmon production. American Fisheries Society Symposium 70:1143–1157.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolutionary changes in maturation reaction norms in North Sea sole Solea solea. Marine Ecology Progress Series 351:189–199. , , and
- 2005. Rule of age and size at maturity of chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta): implications of recent trends among Oncorhynchus spp. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:2752–2759. , , , and
- 2009. Plasticity in probabilistic reaction norms for maturation in a salmonid fish. Biology Letters 5:628–631. , , and
- 1993. Review of the Japanese landbased driftnet salmon fishery in the western North Pacific Ocean and the continent of origin of salmonids in this area. International North Pacific Fisheries Commission Bulletin 52:1–78. , , , , and
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and
- 2009. Temporal trends in probabilistic maturation reaction norms and growth of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) on the Icelandic shelf. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66:1719–1733. , , , , and
- 1993. Fishing as a cause of evolution in fishes. In: T. K. Stokes, J. M. McGlade, and R. Law, eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1999. Relationship among adult body length, abundance, and ocean temperature for British Columbia and Alaska sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka), 1967–1997. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:1716–1720. , and
- 2001. Influence of breeding habitat on bear predation and age at maturity and sexual dimorphism of sockeye salmon populations. Canadian Journal of Zoology 79:1782–1793. , , , , and
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. Available from http://www.R-project.org.
- 1976. Review of the rate of growth and mortality of Pacific salmon in salt water, and noncatch mortality caused by fishing. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 33:1483–1524.
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 2005. Seasonal marine growth of Bristol Bay sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in relation to competition with Asian pink salmon (O. gorbuscha) and the 1977 ocean regime shift. Fishery Bulletin 103:355–370. , , , and
- 2010. Population diversity and the portfolio effect in an exploited species. Nature 465:609–612. , , , , , , and
- 2011. Long-term climate-related changes in somatic growth and population dynamics of Hokkaido chum salmon. Environmental Biology of Fishes 90:131–142. , , and
- 2009. Life history change in commercially exploited fish stocks: an analysis of trends across studies. Evolutionary Applications 2:260–275. , and
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in Salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 2011. Temperature effects on female maturation in a temperate marine fish. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 403:9–13. , and
- 2011. Experimental assessment of the probabilistic maturation reaction norm: condition matters. Proceedings of the Royal Society Biological Sciences Series B 278:709–717. , , , , , and
- 2012. Dynamics of body size, age, and annual growth rate of Anadyr chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta in 1962–2010. Journal of Ichthyology 52:207–225. , , , , and