No effect of seed source on multiple aspects of ecosystem functioning during ecological restoration: cultivars compared to local ecotypes of dominant grasses
Version of Record online: 12 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 7, Issue 2, pages 323–335, February 2014
How to Cite
Baer, S. G., Gibson, D. J., Gustafson, D. J., Benscoter, A. M., Reed, L. K., Campbell, R. E., Klopf, R. P., Willand, J. E. and Wodika, B. R. (2014), No effect of seed source on multiple aspects of ecosystem functioning during ecological restoration: cultivars compared to local ecotypes of dominant grasses. Evolutionary Applications, 7: 323–335. doi: 10.1111/eva.12124
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 12 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAR 2013
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: DEB 0516429
- Konza Prairie Long-Term Ecological Research program
- 2012. Genetic consequences of using seed mixtures in restoration: a case study of a wetland plant Lychnis flos-cuculi. Biological Conservation 145:195–204. , , , , and
- 2013. Restoration ecology. In D. Gibson, ed. Oxford Bibliographies in Ecology. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/obo/page/ecology (accessed on 16 June 2013).
- 2002. Changes in ecosystem structure and function along a chronosequence of restored grasslands. Ecological Applications 12:1688–1701. , , , and
- 2003. Soil resources regulate productivity and diversity in newly established tallgrass prairie. Ecology 84:724–735. , , , and
- 2005. Soil heterogeneity effects on tallgrass prairie community heterogeneity: an application of ecological theory to restoration ecology. Restoration Ecology 13:413–424. , , , , and
- 2006. Importance of species interactions to community heritability: a genetic basis to trophic-level interactions. Ecology Letters 9:78–85. , , , and
- 2006. The role of seed and vegetative reproduction in plant recruitment and demography in tallgrass prairie. Plant Ecology 187:163–177. , and
- 2006. Seed provenance matters - Effects on germination of four plant species used for ecological restoration. Basic and Applied Ecology 7:347–359. , , , and
- 2010. The importance of plant provenance and genotypic diversity of seed material used for ecological restoration. Restoration Ecology 18:338–348. , , and
- 1991. Estimating aboveground biomass in tallgrass prairie with the harvest method – determining proper sample-size using jackknifing and Monte-Carlo simulations. Southwestern Naturalist 36:1–6. , and
- 2008. Seed supply for broadscale restoration: maximizing evolutionary potential. Evolutionary Applications 1:587–597. , , , , , , and
- 2011. The restoration of biodiversity: where has research been and where does it need to go? American Journal of Botany 98:549–558.
- 2004. Community- and ecosystem-level changes in a species-rich tallgrass prairie restoration. Ecological Applications 14:1680–1694. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Recovery of native plant community characteristics on a chronosequence of restored prairies seeded into pastures in west-central Iowa. Restoration Ecology 20:170–179. , and
- 2007. Genetic diversity, plant adaptation regions, and gene pools for switchgrass. Crop Science 47:2261–2273. , , , and
- 2011. A direct comparison of the consequences of plant genotypic and species diversity on communities and ecosystem function. Ecology 92:915–923. , , , , and
- 2006. Plant genotypic diversity predicts community structure and governs an ecosystem process. Science 313:966–968. , , , , , and
- 1859. On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. John Murray, London.
- 1997. Designing seed mixes. In S. Packard, and C. F. Mutel, eds. The Tallgrass Restoration Handbook: For Prairies, Savannas and Woodlands, pp. 135–150. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- 2000. Cottonwood hybridization affects tannin and nitrogen content of leaf litter and alters decomposition. Oecologia 123:99–107. , and
- 2007. Between a rock and a hard place: evaluating the relative risks of inbreeding and outbreeding for conservation and management. Molecular Ecology 16:463–475.
- 1998. The genetic management of native species in Scotland. Forestry 71:1–23. , , and
- 2011. Consequences of ex situ cultivation of plants: genetic diversity, fitness and adaptation of the monocarpic Cynoglossum officinale L. in botanic gardens. Biological Conservation 144:272–278. , , and
- 2006. Population and ecological genetics in restoration ecology. In D. A. Falk, M. A. Palmer, and J. B. Zedler, eds. Foundations of Restoration Ecology, pp. 14–41. Island Press, Washington, DC. , , , and
- 2008. Genetic structure of threatened native populations and propagules used for restoration in a clonal species, American Beachgrass (Ammophila breviligulata Fern.). Restoration Ecology 16:594–603. , , , , and
- 1987. Principles of Cultivar Development. Macmillan, New York, NY.
- 2013. Belowground interactions shift the relative importance of direct and indirect genetic effects. Ecology and Evolution 3:1692–1701. , , and
- 2012. Effects of foundation species genotypic diversity on subordinate species richness in an assembling community. Oikos 121:496–507. , , , and
- 2013. Limited effects of dominant species population source on community composition during community assembly. Journal of Vegetation Science 24:429–440. , , , , , and
- 1999. Random amplified polymorphic DNA variation among remnant big bluestem (Andropogon gerardii Vitman) populations from Arkansas' Grand Prairie. Molecular Ecology 8:1693–1701. , , and
- 2001. Characterizing three restored Andropogon gerardii Vitman (big bluestem) populations established with Illinois and non-Illinois seed: established plants and their offspring. In N. P. Bernstein, and L. J. Ostrander, eds. Seeds for the Future; Roots of the Past, pp. 116–127. Proceedings of the 17th North American Prairie Conference, Mason City, Iowa. , , and
- 2004a. Competitive relationships of Andropogon gerardii (Big Bluestem) from remnant and restored native populations and select cultivated varieties. Functional Ecology 18:451–457. , , and
- 2004b. Conservation genetics of two co-dominant grass species in an endangered grassland ecosystem. Journal of Applied Ecology 41:389–397. , , and
- 2001. Is local provenance important in habitat creation? A reply. Journal of Applied Ecology 38:1374–1376.
- 2006. Ecological restoration and global climate change. Restoration Ecology 14:170–176. , , , and
- 2008. Tracing the origins of stocks of the endangered species Primula sieboldii using nuclear microsatellites and chloroplast DNA. Conservation Genetics 9:1139–1147. , , , , , and
- 2003. Plant ecotypes: genetic differentiation in the age of ecological restoration. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:147–155. , and
- 2003. The restoration gene pool concept: beyond the native versus non-native debate. Restoration Ecology 11:281–290.
- 2000. Genetic introgression from distant provenances reduces fitness in local weed populations. Journal of Applied Ecology 37:647–659. , , and
- 1998. Floristic and soil organic matter changes after five and thirty-five years of native tallgrass prairie restoration. Restoration Ecology 6:181–196. , and
- 2011. Root dynamics of cultivar and non-cultivar population sources of two dominant grasses during initial establishment of tallgrass prairie. Restoration Ecology 19:112–117. , and
- 2011. Intraspecific variation in ecophysiology of three dominant prairie grasses used in restoration: cultivar versus non-cultivar population sources. Restoration Ecology 19(SI):43–52. , , and
- 1940. The effect of selection and inbreeding on the growth of big bluestem (Andropogon furcatus, Muhl.). Journal of the American Society of Agronomy 32:931–943. , and
- 1999. Ecological genetics and the restoration of plant communities: mix or match? Restoration Ecology 7:42–50. , and
- 2005. Genetic differences between wild and artificial populations of Metasequoia glyptostroboides: implications for species recovery. Conservation Biology 19:224–231. , , , , , and
- 1996. Evolutionary significance of local genetic differentiation in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 27:237–277. , and
- 2006. SAS for Mixed Models. SAS Institute, Cary, NC. , , , , and
- 2001. Ecology – Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: current knowledge and future challenges. Science 294:804–808. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Intraspecific litter diversity and nitrogen deposition affect nutrient dynamics and soil respiration. Oecologia 136:124–128. , and
- 2005. An assessment of grassland restoration success using species diversity components. Journal of Applied Ecology 42:327–336. , , and
- 2013. When is local the best paradigm? Breeding history influences conservation reintroduction survival and population trajectories in times of extreme climate events. Biological Conservation 159:277–284. , , , and
- 1998. Evolutionary Genetics. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2002. Analysis of Ecological Communities. MjM Software Design, Gleneden Beach, OR. , and
- 2002. Genetic variation and its relationship to population size in reintroduced populations of pink sand verbena, Ambronia umbellata subsp. breviflora (Nyctaginaceae). Conservation Genetics 3:411–420. , , and
- 2005. “How local is local?” – a review of practical and conceptual issues in the genetics of restoration. Restoration Ecology 13:432–440. , , , and
- 2008. Functional identity is more important than diversity in influencing ecosystem processes in a temperate native grassland. Journal of Ecology 96:884–893. , , and
- 2000. Transplantation of the subshrub Lotus scoparius: Testing the home-site advantage hypothesis. Conservation Biology 14:1034–1045. , and
- 2001. Nonlocal transplantation and outbreeding depression in the subshrub Lotus scoparius (Fabaceae). American Journal of Botany 88:258–269. , and
- 1997. Restoration biology: a population biology perspective. Restoration Ecology 5:277–290. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Linkages of plant traits to soil properties and the functioning of temperate grassland. Journal of Ecology 98:1074–1083. , , , , , , and
- 1997. The Tallgrass Prairie Restoration Handbook. Island Press, Washington, DC. , and
- 2005. Patterns of plant species diversity in remnant and restored tallgrass prairies. Restoration Ecology 13:480–487. , , and
- 2009. Enhancement of biodiversity and ecosystem services by ecological restoration: a meta-analysis. Science 325:1121–1124. , , , and
- 2003. Managing microevolution: restoration in the face of global change. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 1:469–478. , and
- 1999. Soil carbon and nitrogen availability: nitrogen mineralization, nitrification, soil respiration potentials. In G. P. Robertson, C. S. Bledsoe, D. C. Coleman, and P. Sollins, eds. Standard Soil Methods for Long Term Ecological Research, pp. 258–271. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. , , , , , , and
- 2010. Tricks of the trade: techniques and opinions from 38 experts in tallgrass prairie restoration. Restoration Ecology 18:253–262.
- 2002. Cryptic invasion by a non-native genotype of the common reed, Phragmites australis, into North America. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:2445–2449.
- 1994. Prairie conservation in North America. BioScience 44:418–421. , and
- SAS Institute 2002–2003. SAS Version 9.1. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- 2013. Do cultivated varieties of native plants have the ability to outperform their wild relatives? PLoS ONE 8:e71066. , and
- 2004. Genetically based trait in a dominant tree affects ecosystem processes. Ecology Letters 7:127–134. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The regulation of ecosystem functions by ecotypic variation in the dominant plant: a Spartina alterniflora salt-marsh case study. Journal of Ecology 90:1–11. , , , and
- 2002. Patterns of species richness and composition in re-created grassland. Restoration Ecology 10:677–684.
- 2007. The role of stochasticity and priority effects in floodplain restoration. Ecological Applications 17:1312–1324.
- 1922. The species and variety as ecological units. Hereditas 3:100–113.
- United States Department of Agriculture, USDA 1995. Grass Varieties in the United States. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2010. A question of origin: where and how to collect seed for ecological restoration. Basic and Applied Ecology 11:300–311. , , and
- 2003. Community and ecosystem genetics: a consequence of the extended phenotype. Ecology 84:559–573. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Is local provenance important in habitat creation? Journal of Applied Ecology 38:1371–1373.
- 2013. Temporal dynamics of plant community regeneration sources during tallgrass prairie restoration. Plant Ecology 214:1169–1180. , , , and
- 2010. Productivity and subordinate species response to dominant grass species and seed source during restoration. Restoration Ecology 18:628–637.
- 1998. Diploid hybrid speciation in Penstemon (Schrophulariaceae). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 95:5112–5115. , , and
- 1984. Biostatistical Analyses. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- 2000. Progress in wetland restoration ecology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 15:402–407.