Time-series analysis reveals genetic responses to intensive management of razorback sucker (Xyrauchen texanus)
Version of Record online: 15 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 7, Issue 3, pages 339–354, March 2014
How to Cite
Dowling, T. E., Turner, T. F., Carson, E. W., Saltzgiver, M. J., Adams, D., Kesner, B. and Marsh, P. C. (2014), Time-series analysis reveals genetic responses to intensive management of razorback sucker (Xyrauchen texanus). Evolutionary Applications, 7: 339–354. doi: 10.1111/eva.12125
- Issue online: 17 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 15 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 FEB 2013
- US Bureau of Reclamation. Grant Number: 09FG3000001
- 2011. Early detection of population declines: high power of genetic monitoring using effective population size estimators. Evolutionary Applications 4:144–154. , , and
- 2003. Demographic and genetic estimates of effective population size (Ne) reveals genetic compensation in steelhead trout. Molecular Ecology 12:35–49. , and
- 2009. A comparison of single-sample effective size estimators using empirical toad (Bufo calamita) population data: genetic compensation and population size-genetic diversity correlations. Molecular Ecology 18:4790–4797.
- 2004. Fisheries sustainability via protection of age structure and spatial distribution of fish populations. Fisheries 29:23–32. , , , and
- 2009. Effective population size and patterns of molecular evolution and variation. Nature Reviews 10:195–205.
- 1996a. Mitochondrial DNA diversity within and among populations of razorback sucker (Xyrauchen texanus) as determined by restriction endonuclease analysis. Copeia 1996:542–550. , , and
- 1996b. Mitochondrial DNA diversity in the endangered razorback sucker (Xyrauchen texanus): analysis of hatchery stocks and implications for captive propagation. Conservation Biology 10:120–127. , , , and
- 2005. Genetic monitoring of wild and repatriated populations of endangered razorback sucker (Xyrauchen texanus, Catostomidae, Teleostei) in Lake Mohave, Arizona-Nevada. Molecular Ecology 14:123–135. , , , and
- 2012a. Assessment of genetic variability in a recruiting population of endangered fish, the razorback sucker (Xyrauchen texanus, Family Catostomidae), from Lake Mead, AZ-NV. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141:990–999. , , , and
- 2012b. Genetic structure within and among populations of the endangered razorback sucker (Xyrauchen texanus) as determined by analysis of microsatellites. Conservation Genetics 13:1073–1083. , , and
- 2013. Interannual variation in effective number of breeders and estimation of effective population size in long-lived iteroparous lake sturgeon (Acipenser fulvescens). Molecular Ecology 22:1282–1294. , , , , and
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: A new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:564–567. , and
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and
- 1995. Relationship of genetic variation to population size in wildlife. Conservation Biology 10:1500–1508.
- 2012. How closely does genetic diversity in finite populations conform to predictions of neutral theory? Large deficits in regions of low recombination. Heredity 108:167–178.
- 2010. Introduction to Conservation Genetics, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , and
- 1989. Importance and justification of long-term studies in ecology. In G. E. Likens, ed. Long-Term Studies in Ecology, pp. 3–19. Springer, New York.
- 2001. Fstat, a Program to Estimate and Test Gene Diversities and Fixation Indices (version 2.9.3). Available from http://www.unil.ch/izea/softwares/fstat.html. University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland. .
- 1985. Induced spawning of hatchery-reared razorback sucker. Progressive Fish-Culturist 47:187–189.
- 2011. Understanding and estimating effective population size for practical application in marine species management. Conservation Biology 25:438–449. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Loss of microsatellite diversity and low effective population size in an overexploited population of New Zealand snapper (Pagrus auratus). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:11742–11747. , , , , and
- 1994. Does variance in reproductive success limit effective population sizes of marine organisms? In A. R. Beaumont, ed. Genetics and Evolution of Aquatic Organisms, pp. 122–134. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 2005. Genetics of Populations, 3rd edn. Jones and Bartlett, Sudbury, MA.
- 2000. Effective population size of winter-run chinook salmon based on microsatellite analysis of returning spawners. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:2368–2373. , , and
- 2013. A cat's tale: the impact of genetic restoration on Florida panther population dynamics and persistence. Journal of Animal Ecology 82:608–620. , , , and
- 1982. Culture of endangered Colorado River fishes. Section III: Spawning of razorback sucker. In W. H. Miller, J. J. Valentine, D. L. Archer, H. M. Tyus, R. A. Valdez, and L.R. Kaeding, eds. Final Report, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation Contract No. 9-07-40-L-1016, pp. 145–147. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Salt Lake City, Utah. .
- 1999. Razorback sucker and Colorado pikeminnow reintroduction and monitoring in the Salt and Verde rivers. Technical Report 147, Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Program, Arizona Game and Fish Department, Phoenix. 18 p (processed). , and
- 1995. Temporal allele frequency change and estimation of effective size in populations with overlapping generations. Genetics 139:1077–1090. , and
- 1996. Demographic genetics of brown trout (Salmo trutta) and estimation of effective population size from temporal change of allele frequencies. Genetics 143:1369–1381. , and
- 2007. Unbiased estimator for genetic drift and effective population size. Genetics 177:927–935. , and
- 2005. HP-Rare: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic diversity. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:187–189.
- 2010. Predation of adult razorback sucker and bonytail by striped bass in Lake Mohave, Arizona-Nevada. Western North American Naturalist 70:117–120. , and
- 2008. Acoustic telemetry to assess post-stocking dispersal and mortality of razorback sucker Xyrauchen texanus. Journal of Fish Biology 73:719–727. , , and
- 2008. Demographics and post-stocking survival of repatriated razorback sucker in Lake Mohave. Final Report, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, Agreement No. 06FC300003, Boulder City, Nevada. Arizona State University, Tempe. 38 p. , , , and
- 2005. Genetic approaches for estimating the effective size of populations. Journal of Wildlife Management 69:1385–1399.
- 2012. Value of long-term ecological studies. Austral Ecology 37:745–757. , , , , , , et al.
- Lower Colorado River Multi-Species Conservation Program 2004. Lower Colorado River Multi-Species Conservation Program, Volume I: Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement/Environmental Impact Report. DOI Control No. FES 04 47; California State Clearinghouse No. 1999061029; Metropolitan Report No. 1226. Prepared by U.S. Department of the Interior Bureau of Reclamation, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. December. Santa Barbara, CA.
- 1996. A quantitative-genetic perspective on conservation issues. In J. C. Avise, and J. L. Hamrick, eds. Conservation Genetics: Case Histories From Nature, pp. 471–501. Chapman and Hall, NY.
- 1999. Restoration of an inbred adder population. Nature 402:34–35. , , , and
- 1989. Predation by ictalurid catfishes as a deterrent to re-establishment of hatchery-reared razorback suckers. The Southwestern Naturalist 34:188–195. , and
- 2003. Decline of the razorback sucker in Lake Mohave, Colorado River, Arizona and Nevada. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 132:1251–1256. , , and
- 2005. Repatriation as a management strategy to conserve a critically imperiled fish species. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 25:547–556. , , and
- 1987. Age estimation for razorback sucker (Pisces: Catostomidae) from Lake Mohave, Arizona and Nevada. Journal of the Arizona-Nevada Academy of Sciences 21:87–97. , and
- 1983. Status of the razorback sucker, Xyrauchen texanus (Abbott), in the lower Colorado River basin. The Southwestern Naturalist 28:165–187.
- 2009. Inland Fishes of the Greater Southwest: Chronicle of a Vanishing Biota. University of Arizona Press, Tucson, AZ. , and
- 1991. Management toward recovery of the razorback sucker. In W. L. Minckley, and J. E. Deacon, eds. Battle Against Extinction: Native Fish Management in the American West, pp. 303–317. University of Arizona Press, Tucson. , , , , and
- 2003. A conservation plan for lower Colorado River native fishes. BioScience 53:219–234. , , , , , , and
- 1995. A program for maintaining the razorback sucker in Lake Mohave. In H. R. Schramm Jr, and R. G. Piper, eds. Uses and Effects of Cultured Fishes in Aquatic Ecosystems, pp. 127–135. American Fisheries Society Symposium 15, Bethesda, MD. .
- 2000. Distribution, movements, and habitat use of razorback sucker (Xyrauchen texanus) in a lower Colorado River reservoir, Arizona-Nevada. Western North American Naturalist 60:80–187. , , , and
- 2006. Beyond Bonferroni: Less conservative analyses for conservation genetics. Conservation Genetics 7:783–787.
- 1981. Genetic drift and estimation of effective population size. Genetics 98:625–640. , and
- 1997. Increased probability of extinction due to decreased genetic effective population size: experimental populations of Clarkia pulchella. Evolution 51:354–362. , and
- 2012. Genetic monitoring and complex population dynamics: insights from a 12-year study of the Rio Grande silvery minnow. Evolutionary Applications 5:553–574. , , and
- 2007. Colorado River fishes database management, October 1, 2006 to September 30, 2007. Final Annual Report, Bureau of Reclamation Agreement No. 04FG300035. Arizona State University, Tempe. , and .
- 2011. Colorado River Fishes Database Management. Final Report, Bureau of Reclamation Agreement No. R09AP30002. Marsh & Associates, Tempe, Arizona. , and .
- 2012. Effective/census population size ratio estimation: a compendium and appraisal. Ecology and Evolution 2:2357–2365. , and
- 2008. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: what can they tell us about the importance of genetic stochasticity for wild population persistence? Molecular Ecology 17:3428–3447. , and
- 1975. Computation and Interpretation of Biological Statistics of Fish Populations. Department of the Environment Fisheries and Marine Service, Ottawa, Canada, 382 p.
- 2012. Linkage disequilibrium and effective population size when generations overlap. Evolutionary Applications 6:290–302. , and
- 1991. Effects of supportive breeding on the genetically effective population size. Conservation Biology 5:325–329. , and
- 2007. Genetic monitoring as a promising tool for conservation and management. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:25–33. , , and
- 2010. Species diversity gradients in relation to geological history in North American freshwater fishes. Evolutionary Ecology Research 12:693–726. , , , and
- 1995. Biometry, 3rd edn. WH Freeman and Co., New York. , and
- 1986. Fish Culture in Fisheries Management. Symposium, American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD, 481 p. .
- 1996. Effects of intrinsic and extrinsic factors on population fragmentation in three North American minnows (Teleostei: Cyprinidae). Evolution 50:1280–1292. , and
- 1999. Temporal genetic variation of mitochondrial DNA and the female effective population size of red drum (Sciaenops ocellatus) in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Molecular Ecology 8:1223–1229. , , and
- 2001. Temporal-method estimates of Ne from highly polymorphic loci. Conservation Genetics 2:297–308. , , and
- 2006. Life history and environmental variation interact to determine the effective population to census size ratio. Proceedings of the Royal Society London – Series B 273:3065–3073. , , , , and
- 2007. Effective size, census size, and genetic monitoring of the endangered razorback sucker, Xyrauchen texanus. Conservation Genetics 8:417–425. , , , , and
- 2009. Microsatellite markers for the endangered razorback sucker, Xyrauchen texanus, are widely applicable to genetic studies of other catostomine fishes. Conservation Genetics 8:551–553. , , , , , and
- 1990. Spawning and movements of the razorback sucker, Xyrauchen texanus, in the Green River basin of Colorado and Utah. The Southwestern Naturalist 35:427–433. , and
- USFWS 1991. Endangered and threatened wildlife and plants; the razorback sucker (Xyrauchen texanus) determined to be an endangered species. Federal Register 56:54957–54967.
- 2001. A pseudo-likelihood method for estimating effective population size from temporally spaced samples. Genetical Research 78:243–257.
- 1989. A generalized approach for estimating effective population size from temporal changes in allele frequency. Genetics 121:379–391.
- 2005. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: to what time periods do the estimates apply? Molecular Ecology 14:3335–3352.
- 2008. LDNE: A program for estimating effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:753–756. , and
- 2010. Linkage disequilibrium estimates of contemporary Ne using highly variable genetic markers: a largely untapped resource for applied conservation and evolution. Evolutionary Applications 3:244–262. , and
- 2011. Calculating Ne and Ne/N in age-structured populations: a hybrid Felsenstein-Hill approach. Ecology 92:1513–1522. , , and
- 2013. Simple life-history traits explain key effective population size ratios across diverse taxa. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 280:20131339. , , , and
- 2006. Evaluation of PIT-tag loss and tag-induced mortality in bluehead sucker (Catostomus discobolus). Journal of the Arizona-Nevada Academy of Science 38:74–76. , and
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and
- 1991. Evolution of a cooperative recovery program for endangered fishes in the upper Colorado River basin. In W. L. Minckley, and J. E. Deacon, eds. Battle Against Extinction: Native Fish Management in the American West, pp. 123–140. University of Arizona Press, Tucson. , and
- 2011. Survival rates and movement of hatchery-reared razorback suckers in the upper Colorado River basin, Utah and Colorado. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 139:1478–1499. , , and