Reviews and Synthesis
Climate warming and Bergmann's rule through time: is there any evidence?
Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolutionary Applications published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Special Issue: Climate change, adaptation and phenotypic plasticity
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 156–168, January 2014
How to Cite
Teplitsky, C. and Millien, V. (2014), Climate warming and Bergmann's rule through time: is there any evidence?. Evolutionary Applications, 7: 156–168. doi: 10.1111/eva.12129
- Issue online: 8 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2013
- Agence Nationale de la Recherche. Grant Number: ANR-12-ADAP-0006-02-PEPS
- NSERC Discovery
- 1877. The influence of physical conditions in the genesis of species. Radical Review 1:108–140.
- 1994. Sexual Selection. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2001. The adaptive landscape as a conceptual bridge between micro- and macroevolution. Genetica 112:9–32. , , and
- 2002. Patterns of within-species body size variation of birds: strong evidence for Bergmann's rule. Global Ecology and Biogeography 11:505–523.
- 2000. Is Bergmann's rule valid for mammals? American Naturalist 156:390–415. , , and
- 1984. Changes among wild House mice (Mus musculus) bred for ten generations in a cold environment, and their evolutionary implications. Journal of Zoology 203:163–180. , and
- 1847. Ueber die Verhältnisse der Wärmeökonomie der Thiere zu ihrer Grösse. Gottinger Studien 3:595–708.
- 2004. Keeping pace with fast climate change: Can arctic life count on evolution? Integrative and Comparative Biology 44:140–151. , , , and
- 2006. Constraints to projecting the effects of climate change on mammals. Climate Research 32:151–158. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Geographic gradients in body size: a clarification of Bergmann's rule. Diversity and Distributions 5:165–174. , , and
- 2008. Environmental influences on spatial and temporal patterns of body-size variation in California ground squirrels (Spermophilus beecheyi). Journal of Biogeography 35:602–613. , , and
- 2014. Climate change and mammals: evolutionary versus plastic responses. Evolutionary Applications 7:29–41. , and
- 2006. Evolutionary response to rapid climate change. Science 312:1477–1478. , and
- 2013. Fluctuating viability selection on morphology of cliff swallows is driven by climate. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 26:1129–1142. , , and
- 2007. Evolution on ecological time-scales. Functional Ecology 21:387–393. , , , and
- 2014. Climate change and timing of avian breeding and migration: evolutionary versus plastic changes. Evolutionary Applications 7:15–28. , and
- 2008. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity in response to climate change in a wild bird population. Science 320:800–803. , , , , , and
- 2013. Phenotypic plasticity and evolutionary demographic responses to climate change: taking theory out to the field. Functional Ecology. 27:966–979. , , and
- 2010. Adapting to climate change: a perspective from evolutionary physiology. Climate Research 43:3–15. , , , , , and
- 2010. Individuals and populations: the role of long-term, individual-based studies of animals in ecology and evolutionary biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 25:562–573. , and
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426:655–658. , , , , , and
- 2008. The dynamics of a quantitative trait in an age-structured population living in a variable environment. American Naturalist 172:599–612. , and
- 1993. Latitudinal patterns in European ant assemblages: Variation in species richness and body size. Oecologia 95:30–37. , , and
- 1990. Body Size in Mammalian Paleobiology. Estimation and Biological Implications. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , and
- 2012. Size increase in high elevation ground squirrels over the last century. Global Change Biology 18:1499–1508. , , , , and
- 2009. Shifting latitudinal clines in avian body size correlate with global warming in Australian passerines. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 276:3845–3852. , , and
- 2011. Declining body size: a third universal response to warming? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 26:285–291. , , , , and
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Functional Ecology 21:394–407. , , , and
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology 17:167–178. , , , , and
- 2012. Avian body size changes and climate change: warming or increasing variability? Global Change Biology 18:63–73. , , , , and
- 1979. The spandrels of San Marco and the Panglossian paradigm: a critique of the adaptationist programme. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London (B) 205:581–598. , and
- 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-year study of Darwin's finches. Science 296:707–711. , and
- 2003. What Darwin's finches can teach us about the evolutionary origin and regulation of biodiversity. BioScience 53:965–975. , and
- 2010. No evidence for warming climate theory of coat colour change in Soay sheep: a comment on Maloney et al. Biology Letters 6:678–679. , , , , , , and
- 2010. MCMC methods for multi-response generalised linear mixed models: The MCMCglmm R package. Journal of Statistical Software 33:1–22.
- 2010. The misuse of BLUP in ecology and evolution. American Naturalist 175:116–125. , , , , and
- 2005. Rapid evolution and the convergence of ecological and evolutionary time. Ecology Letters 8:1114–1127. , , , , and
- The GeM Working Group 2012. Monitoring adaptive genetic responses to environmental change. Molecular Ecology 21:1311–1329. , , , and , and
- 2001. An introduction to microevolution: rate, pattern, process. Genetica 112–113:1–8. , and
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 17:20–29. , , and
- 2010. Is diet quality an overlooked mechanism for Bergmann's rule? American Naturalist 175:269–276. , , and
- 2008. Detecting genetic responses to environmental change. Nature Reviews - Genetics 9:421–432. , and
- 2011. Testing mechanisms of Bergmann's rule: phenotypic decline but no genetic change in body size in three Passerine bird populations. American Naturalist 178:202–213. , , and
- 2006. Thermal range predicts bird population resilience to extreme high temperatures. Ecology Letters 9:1321–1330. , , , , , and
- 2005. Evolution of phenotypic plasticity: patterns of plasticity and the emergence of ecotypes. New Phytologist 166:101–118.
- 2013. Predicting the impacts of global change on species, communities and ecosystems: it takes time. Global Ecology and Biogeography 22:261–263. , and
- 2012. Synthetic analyses of phenotypic selection in natural populations: lessons, limitations and future directions. Evolutionary Ecology 26:1101–1118. , , , and
- 2001. The effects of climate change on Merriam's kangaroo rat, Dipodomys merriami. Journal of Arid Environments 49:581–591. , , and
- 2014. Rapid evolution of quantitative traits: theoretical perspectives. Evolutionary Applications 7:169–191. , and
- 2013. Evolutionary and plastic rescue in multitrophic model communities. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 368:20120084. , and
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in natural populations using the ‘animal model’. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London (B) 359:873–890.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and
- 2010. Size as a line of least resistance II: Direct selection on size or correlated response due to constraints? Evolution 64:1470–1488. , and
- 1956. Geographical character gradients and climatic adaptation. Evolution 10:105–108.
- 2012. Connecticut birds and climate Change: Bergmann's rule in the fourth dimension. Northeastern Naturalist 19:323–334.
- 2010. Climate change increases the likelihood of catastrophic avian mortality events during extreme heat waves. Biology Letters 6:253–256. , and
- 2010. Geographic and temporal correlations of mammalian size reconsidered: a resource rule. Oecologia 164:13–23.
- 2011. Bergmann's Rule - what's in a name? Global Ecology and Biogeography 20:203–207.
- 2003. On the validity of Bergmann's rule. Journal of Biogeography 30:331–351. , and
- 2009. Global change and carnivore body size: data are stasis. Global Ecology and Biogeography 18:240–247. , , , and
- 2014. Climate change, adaptation and phenotypic plasticity: the problem and the evidence. Evolutionary Applications 7:1–14. , and
- 2001a. Cryptic evolution in a wild bird population. Nature 412:76–79. , , and
- 2001b. Explaining stasis: microevolutionary studies in natural populations. Genetica 112:199–222. , , and
- 2006. Ecotypic variation in the context of global climate change: revisiting the rules. Ecology Letters 9:853–869. , , , , , and
- 2007. Recent changes in allometric relationships among morphological traits in the dipper (Cinclus cinclus). Journal of Ornithology 148:489–494. , and
- 2012. Directional selection in temporally replicated studies is remarkably consistent. Evolution 66:435–442. , and
- 2010. The danger of applying the breeder's equation in observational studies of natural populations. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23:2277–2288. , , and
- 2011. “Nullius in Bergmann” or the pluralistic approach to ecogeographical rules: a reply to Watt et al. (2010). Oikos 120:1441–1444.
- 2009. Global biogeography and ecology of body size in birds. Ecology Letters 12:249–259. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The dynamics of phenotypic change and the shrinking sheep of St. Kilda. Science 325:464–467. , , , , , and
- 2010. Coupled dynamics of body mass and population growth in response to environmental change. Nature 466:482–485. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 37:637–669.
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. , and
- 2010. Differences in spawning date between populations of common frog reveal local adaptation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107:8292–8297. , , , and
- 2011. History matters: ecometrics and integrative climate change biology. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 278:1131–1140. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Environmental variation shapes sexual dimorphism in red deer. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 96:4467–4471. , , , and
- 2006. Implications of the difference between true and predicted breeding values for study of natural selection and micro-evolution. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19:309–320.
- 2007. What ‘animal models’ can and cannot tell ornithologists about the genetics of wild populations. Journal of Ornithology 148:S633–S642. , and
- 1970. Selection and covariance. Nature 227:520–521.
- 1992. Evolution of correlated characters. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 7:307–310. , and
- 1988. Directional selection and the evolution of breeding date in birds. Science 240:798–799. , , and
- 2012. Developmental phenotypic plasticity in a marsupial. Journal of Experimental Biology 215:1552–1558. , and
- 2010. Reduced body size and cub recruitment in polar bears associated with sea ice decline. Ecological Applications 20:768–782. , , and
- 2003. Fingerprints of global warming on wild animals and plants. Nature 421:57–60. , , , , , and
- 2011. Shrinking body size as an ecological response to climate change. Nature Climate Change 1:401–406. , and
- 2009. It's about time: the temporal dynamics of phenotypic selection in the wild. Ecology Letters 12:1261–1276. , , and
- 1995. Evolution of body size in the woodrat over the past 25,000 years of climate change. Science 270:2012–2014. , , and
- 2002. Ecological effects of climate fluctuations. Science 297:1292–1296. , , , , , and
- 2010. Are latitudinal clines in body size adaptive? Oikos 119:1387–1390.
- 2008. Bergmann's rule and climate change revisited: Disentangling environmental and genetic responses in a wild bird population. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:13492–13496. , , , , and
- 1998. Rapid evolution as an ecological process. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13:329–332.
- 2014. Plasticity and genetic adaptation mediate amphibian and reptile responses to climate change. Evolutionary Applications 7:88–103. , and
- 2010. Declining body sizes in North American birds associated with climate change. Oikos 119:1047–1055. , , and
- 2009. A simple method for distinguishing within- versus between-subject effects using mixed models. Animal Behavior 77:753–758. , and
- 2009. Abundant genetic variation plus strong selection = Multivariate genetic constraints: A geometric view of adaptation. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 40:41–59. , and
- 2002. Ecological responses to recent climate change. Nature 416:389–395. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Bergmann's rule encompasses mechanism: a reply to Olalla-Tarraga (2011). Oikos 120:1445–1447. , and
- 2007. Quantitative genetics of growth and cryptic evolution of body size in an island population. Evolutionary Ecology 21:337–356. , , , , , and
- 2010. An ecologist's guide to the animal model. Journal of Animal Ecology 79:13–26. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Global warming and body mass decline in Israeli passerine birds. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London (B) 268:947–952.
- 2011. Recent spatial and temporal changes in body size of terrestrial vertebrates: probable causes and pitfalls. Biological Reviews 86:531–541. , and
- 2005. Global warming, Bergmann's rule and body size in the masked shrew Sorex cinereus Kerr in Alaska. Journal of Animal Ecology 74:803–808. , and
- 2002. Global warming, Bergmann's rule and body mass - are they related? The chukar partridge (Alectoris chukar) case. Journal of Zoology 257:449–455. , , and
- 2003. Increase of skull size in the red fox (Vulpes vulpes) and Eurasian badger (Meles meles) in Denmark during the twentieth century: an effect of improved diet? Evolutionary Ecology Research 5:1037–1048. , , and
- 2006a. Body size changes among otters, Lutra lutra, in Norway: the possible effects of food availability and global warming. Oecologia 150:155–160. , , , and
- 2006b. Recent changes in body weight and wing length among some British passerine birds. Oikos 112:91–101. , , , , and
- 2008. Recent increase in body size of the American marten Martes americana in Alaska. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 93:701–707. , , and
- 2010a. Temperature trends and recent decline in body size of the stone marten Martes foina in Denmark. Mammalian Biology 75:146–150. , , , and
- 2010b. Recent changes in body size of the Eurasian otter Lutra lutra in Sweden. Ambio 39:496–503. , , , , , and