HYBRID SPECIATION AND INDEPENDENT EVOLUTION IN LINEAGES OF ALPINE BUTTERFLIES
Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Author(s). Evolution© 2013 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 67, Issue 4, pages 1055–1068, April 2013
How to Cite
Nice, C. C., Gompert, Z., Fordyce, J. A., Forister, M. L., Lucas, L. K. and Buerkle, C. A. (2013), HYBRID SPECIATION AND INDEPENDENT EVOLUTION IN LINEAGES OF ALPINE BUTTERFLIES. Evolution, 67: 1055–1068. doi: 10.1111/evo.12019
- Issue online: 3 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 26 NOV 2012 04:15PM EST
- Received April 5, 2012 Accepted October 31, 2012
- 2010. Homoploid hybrid speciation in action. Taxon 59:1375–1386. , , , and .
- 2006. Evolution through genetic exchange. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , UK .
- 2010. Hybrid fitness across time and habitats. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:530–536. , and .
- 2010. Likelihood-free inference of population structure and local adaptation in a Bayesian hierarchical model. Genetics 185:587–602. , , and .
- 2008. Joint determination of topology, divergence time and immigration in population trees. Pp. 135–154 in S. Matsumura, P. Forster, and C. Renfrew, eds. Simulations, genetics and human prehistory. McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, Cambridge , UK .
- 2002. Approximate Bayesian Computation in population genetics. Genetics 162:2025–2035. , , and .
- 2012. Population genomics based on low coverage sequencing: how low should we go? Mol. Ecol. In press . , and .
- 2000. The likelihood of homoploid hybrid speciation. Heredity 84:441–451. , , , and .
- 2008. The rate of genome stabilization in homoploid hybrid species. Evolution 62:266–275. , and .
- 2003. The origin and extinction of species through hybridization. Pp. 117–141 in C. A. Brigham and M. W. Schwartz, eds. Population viability in plants: conservation, management, and modeling of rare plants. Springer Verlag, New York . , , and .
- 1992. Caucasian genes in American Blacks—new data. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 50:145–155. , , , and .
- 2010. Approximate Bayesian Computation (ABC) in practice. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:410–418. , , , and .
- 2005. Bayesian analysis of an admixture model with mutations and arbitrarily linked markers. Genetics 169:1727–1738. , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2007. Hybrid vigor between native and introduced salamanders raises new challenges for conservation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 104:15793–15798. , and .
- 2011. A hierarchical Bayesian approach to ecological count data: a flexible tool for ecologists. PLoS ONE 6:e26785. , , , and .
- 2003. Variation in butterfly egg adhesion: adaptation to local host plant senescence characteristics? Ecol. Lett. 6:23–27. , and .
- 2002. The significance of wing pattern diversity in the Lycaenidae: mate discrimination by two recently diverged species. J. Evol. Biol. 15:871–879. , , , and .
- 2006. Egg morphology varies among populations and habitats along a suture zone in the Lycaeides idas-melissa species complex (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 99:933–937. , , , , and .
- 2011. After 60 years, an answer to the question: what is the Karner blue butterfly. Biol. Lett. 7:399–402. , , , and .
- 2008. Considering evolutionary processes in the use of single-locus genetic data for conservation, with examples from the Lepidoptera. J. Insect Conserv. 12:37–51. , , , , and .
- 2009. GNU Scientific Library: reference manual. Network Theory Ltd, Godalming , UK . , , , , , , and .
- 2011. A hierarchical Bayesian model for next-generation population genomics. Genetics 187:903–917. , and .
- 2006. Homoploid hybrid speciation in an extreme habitat. Science 314:1923–1925. , , , , and .
- 2008a. Recent colonization and radiation of North American Lycaeides (Plebejus) inferred from mtDNA. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 48:481–490. , , , and .
- 2008b. Widespread mito-nuclear discordance with evidence for introgressive hybridization and selective sweeps in Lycaeides. Mol. Ecol. 17:5231–5244. , , , and .
- 2010a. Bayesian analysis of molecular variance in pyrosequences quantifies population genetic structure across the genome of Lycaeides butterflies. Mol. Ecol. 19:2455–2473. , , , , , and .
- 2010b. Secondary contact between Lycaeides idas and L. melissa in the Rocky Mountains: extensive introgression and a patchy hybrid zone. Mol. Ecol. 19:3171–3192. , , , , and .
- 2012. Genomic regions with a history of divergent selection affect fitness of hybrids between tow butterfly species. Evolution 66:2167–2181. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Hybridization of bird species. Science 256:193–197. , and .
- 2003. Origin(s) of the diploid hybrid species Helianthus deserticola (Asteraceae). Am. J. Bot. 90:1708–1719. , , and .
- 2007. Selective sweeps in the homoploid hybrid species Helianthus deserticola: evolution in concert across populations and across origins. Mol. Ecol. 16:5246–5258. , , and .
- 2001. Butterflies of British Columbia. UBC Press, Vancouver, Canada . , and .
- 2002. Generating samples under a Wright-Fisher neutral model of genetic variation. Bioinformatics 18:337–338.
- 2011. Sex chromosome mosaicism and hybrid speciation among tiger swallowtail butterflies. PLoS Genet. 7:e1002274. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. An algorithmic model for constructing a linkage and linkage disequilibrium map in outcrossing plant populations. Genet. Res. 91:9–21. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Patterns of genitalic morphology around suture zones in North American Lycaeides (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae): implications for taxonomy and historical biogeography. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 101:172–180. , , and .
- 2007. Hybrid speciation. Nature 445:279–283.
- 2006. Detecting adaptive trait introgression between Iris fulva and I. brevicaulis in highly selective field conditions. Genetics 172:2481–2489. , , and .
- 2006. Speciation by hybridization in Heliconius butterflies. Nature 441:868–871. , , , , , and .
- 1943. The nearctic forms of Lycaeides Hub. (Lycaenidae, Lepidoptera). Psyche 50:87–99.
- 1949. The nearctic members of Lycaeides Hübner (Lycaenidae, Lepidoptera). Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. 101:479–541.
- 2005. The history and geography of diversification within the butterfly genus Lycaeides in North America. Mol. Ecol. 14:1741–1754. , , , , and .
- 2002. Lack of evidence for reproductive isolation among ecologically specialised lycaenid butterflies. Ecol. Entomol. 27:702–712. , , , and .
- 1999. Molecular and morphological divergence in the butterfly genus Lycaeides (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae) in North America: evidence of recent speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 12:936–950. , and .
- 2007. Complexity reduction of polymorphic sequences (CRoPS™): a novel approach for large-scale polymorphism discovery in complex genomes. PLoS ONE 2:e1172. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Genome-wide association of genetics of an adaptive trait in lodgepole pine. Mol. Ecol. 21:2991–3005. , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: a language and nnvironment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna , Austria .
- 2003a. Major ecological transitions in wild sunflowers facilitated by hybridization. Science 301:1211–1216. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003b. The genetic architecture necessary for transgressive segregation is common in both natural and domesticated populations. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 358:1141–1147. , , , and .
- 2002. Likely multiple origins of a diploid hybrid sunflower species. Mol. Ecol. 11:1703–1715. , and .
- 1986. The butterflies of North America: a natural history and field guide. Stanford Univ. Press, Stanford , CA .
- 2009. The genetic architecture of reproductive isolation in Louisiana irises: hybrid fitness in nature. Evolution 63:2581–2594. , , and .
- 2002. Modern applied statistics with S. 4th ed. Springer Verlag, New York . , and .
- 2001. Genetic composition and diploid hybrid speciation of high mountain pine, Pinus densata, native to the Tibetan Plateau. Genetics 159:337–346. , , and .