These authors contributed equally to this work.
COMPARATIVE POPULATION GENOMICS IN COLLINSIA SISTER SPECIES REVEALS EVIDENCE FOR REDUCED EFFECTIVE POPULATION SIZE, RELAXED SELECTION, AND EVOLUTION OF BIASED GENE CONVERSION WITH AN ONGOING MATING SYSTEM SHIFT
Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Author(s). Evolution © 2013 The Society for the Study of Evolution.
Volume 67, Issue 5, pages 1263–1278, May 2013
How to Cite
Hazzouri, K. M., Escobar, J. S., Ness, R. W., Killian Newman, L., Randle, A. M., Kalisz, S. and Wright, S. I. (2013), COMPARATIVE POPULATION GENOMICS IN COLLINSIA SISTER SPECIES REVEALS EVIDENCE FOR REDUCED EFFECTIVE POPULATION SIZE, RELAXED SELECTION, AND EVOLUTION OF BIASED GENE CONVERSION WITH AN ONGOING MATING SYSTEM SHIFT. Evolution, 67: 1263–1278. doi: 10.1111/evo.12027
- Issue online: 25 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 11 DEC 2012 02:14PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUL 2012
- University of Toronto Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Postdoctoral fellowship
- National Science Foundation for awards. Grant Numbers: DEB 0324764, DEB 0709638
- 2012. Mutation load: the fitness of individuals in populations where deleterious alleles are abundant. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 43:115–135. , and .
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucl. Acids Res. 25:3389–3402. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Selection, recombination and demographic history in Drosophila miranda. Genetics. 174:2045–2059. , and .
- 1955. Self compatibility and establishment after long distance dispersal. Evolution. 9:347–349.
- 2011. Phylogenetic perspectives on diversification, biogeography, and floral evolution of Collinsia and Tonella (Plantaginaceae). Am. J. Bot. 98:731–753. , , and .
- 1996. The comparative biology of pollination and mating in flowering plants: the comparative biology of pollination and mating in flowering plants. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 351:1271–1280. , , and .
- 2001. Species and recombination effects on DNA variability in the tomato genus. Genetics. 158:1725–1735. , , , and .
- 2007. A new approach to estimate parameters of speciation models with application to apes. Genome Res. 17:1505–1519. , and .
- 2011. Demographic signatures accompanying the evolution of selfing in Leavenworthia alabamica. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:1717–1729. , , and .
- 1993. The effect of deleterious mutations on neutral molecular variation. Genetics. 134:1289–1303. , , and .
- 2003. Effects of inbreeding on the genetic diversity of populations. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 358:1051–1070.
- 2001. Breeding systems and genome evolution. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 11:685–690. , and .
- 2005. Blast2GO: a universal tool for annotation, visualization and analysis in functional genomics research. Bioinformatics. 21:3674–3676. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Nucleotide polymorphism and linkage disequilibrium in wild populations of the partial selfer Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 172:171–184.
- 2004. Pollen and stigma structure and function: the role of diversity in pollination. Plant Cell. 16 (Suppl):S84–97. , , and .
- 2010. An integrative test of the dead-end hypothesis of selfing evolution in Triticeae (Poaceae). Evolution. 64:2855–2872. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Self-sterility in flowering plants: preventing self-fertilization increases family diversification rates. Ann. Bot. 110:535–553. , and .
- 2008. Selection on amino acid substitutions in Arabidopsis. Mol. Biol. Evol. 25:1375–1383. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Recent speciation associated with the evolution of selfing in Capsella. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:5241–5245. , , , , , and .
- 2007. A Markov chain Monte Carlo approach for joint inference of population structure and inbreeding rates from multilocus genotype data. Genetics. 176:1635–1651. , , and .
- 2007. Mating systems and the efficacy of selection at the molecular level. Genetics. 177:905–916.
- 2010. Surprising fitness consequences of GC-biased gene conversion: I. Mutation load and inbreeding depression. Genetics. 185:939–959. .
- 2011. Surprising fitness consequences of GC-biased gene conversion. II. Heterosis. Genetics. 187:217–227. .
- 2006. Impact of mating systems on patterns of sequence polymorphism in flowering plants. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:3011–3019. , , and .
- 2010. Species selection maintains self-incompatibility. Science. 330:493–495. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Levels of DNA polymorphism vary with mating system in the nematode genus caenorhabditis. Genetics. 161:99–107. , , , and .
- 2009. Recent speciation of Capsella rubella from Capsella grandiflora, associated with loss of self-incompatibility and an extreme bottleneck. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:5246–5251. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Effects of life history traits on genetic diversity in plant species. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 351:1291–1298. , and .
- 2008. Mating system and recombination affect molecular evolution in four Triticeae species. Genet. Res. (Camb) 90:97–109. , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Two-locus sampling distributions and their application. Genetics. 159:1805–1817. .
- 1985. Statistical properties of the number of recombination events in the history of a sample of DNA sequences. Genetics. 111:147–164. , and .
- 2008. Loss of self-incompatibility and its evolutionary consequences. Int. J. Plant Sci. 169:93–104. , , and .
- 2002. A metapopulation perspective on genetic diversity and differentiation in partially self-fertilizing plants. Evolution. 56:2368–2373.
- 2012. Dichogamy correlates with outcrossing rate and defines the selfing syndrome in the mixed-mating genus Collinsia. Ann. Bot. 109:571–582. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Benefits of autonomous selfing under unpredictable pollinator environments. Ecology. 84:2928–2942. , and .
- 2004. Context-dependent autonomous self-fertilization yields reproductive assurance and mixed mating. Nature. 430:884–887. , , and .
- 2001. Codon usage and tRNA genes in eukaryotes: correlation of codon usage diversity with translation efficiency and with CG-dinucleotide usage as assessed by multivariate analysis. J. Mol. Evol. 53:290–298. , , , , and .
- 2008. The reproductive assurance benefit of selfing: importance of flower size and population size. Oecologia. 155:469–477. , and .
- 2009. Fast and accurate short read alignment with Burrows-Wheeler transform. Bioinformatics. 25:1754–1760. , and .
- 2009. The sequence alignment/map format and samtools. bioinformatics. 25:2078–2079. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Genetic diversity in Leavenworthia populations with different inbreeding levels. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 265:293–301. , , and .
- 1995. Mutational meltdowns in sexual populations. Evolution. 49:1067–1080. , , and .
- 2003. Biased gene conversion: implications for genome and sex evolution. Trends Genet. 19:330–338.
- 2004. Recombination and base composition: the case of the highly self-fertilizing plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Genome Biol. 5:R45. , , and .
- 2002. A coalescent-based method for detecting and estimating recombination from gene sequences. Genetics. 160:1231–1241. , , and .
- 2000. The effects of Hill-Robertson interference between weakly selected mutations on patterns of molecular evolution and variation. Genetics. 155:929–944. , and .
- 2011. De novo sequence assembly and characterization of the floral transcriptome in cross- and self-fertilizing plants. BMC Genomics. 12:298. , , and .
- 2010. Mating-system variation, demographic history and patterns of nucleotide diversity in the Tristylous plant Eichhornia paniculata. Genetics. 184:381–392. , , and .
- 2000. Linkage disequilibrium, gene trees and selfing: an ancestral recombination graph with partial self-fertilization. Genetics. 154:923–929.
- 1997. The coalescent process with selfing. Genetics. 146:1185–1195. , and .
- 2000. Effects of metapopulation processes on measures of genetic diversity. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 355:1851–1864. , and .
- 2012. Tempo and mode of mating system evolution between incipient Clarkia species. Evolution. 66:1210–1225. , and .
- 2012. Inference of population splits and mixtures from genome-wide allele frequency data. Available at Nature Precedings http://hdl.handle.net/10101/npre.2012.6956.1 , and .
- 1987. On the theory of partially inbreeding finite populations. I. Partial selfing. Genetics. 117:353–360.
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics. 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2011. Reduced efficacy of natural selection on codon usage bias in selfing Arabidopsis and Capsella species. Genome Biol. Evol. 3:868–880. , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 2009. Can differences in autonomous selfing ability explain differences in range size among sister-taxa pairs of Collinsia (Plantaginaceae)? An extension of Baker's Law. New Phytol. 183:618–629. , , and .
- 2001. Structure of linkage disequilibrium and phenotypic associations in the maize genome. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98:11479–11484. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. DnaSP, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics. 19:2496–2497. , , , and .
- 2000. Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. Methods Mol. Biol. 132:365–386. , and .
- 2000. Contrasting patterns of nucleotide polymorphism at the alcohol dehydrogenase locus in the outcrossing Arabidopsis lyrata and the selfing Arabidopsis thaliana. Mol. Biol. Evol. 17:645–655. , , , and .
- 1991. Intraspecific variation in population gene diversity and effective population size correlates with the mating system in plants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88:4494–4497. and .
- 1997. Deleterious mutation and extinction: effects of variable mutational effects, synergistic epistasis, beneficial mutations, and degree of outcrossing. Evolution. 51:1363–1371. , and .
- 2006. Cloning, functional identification and sequence analysis of flavonoid 3′-hydroxylase and flavonoid 3′,5′-hydroxylase cDNAs reveals independent evolution of flavonoid 3′,5′-hydroxylase in the Asteraceae family. Plant Mol. Biol. 61:365–381. , , , , , and .
- 2011. The selfing syndrome: a model for studying the genetic and evolutionary basis of morphological adaptation in plants. Ann. Bot. 107:1433–1443. , and .
- 2010. Genome-wide evidence for efficient positive and purifying selection in Capsella grandiflora, a plant species with a large effective population size. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27:1813–1821. , , , and .
- 2009. The impact of sampling schemes on the site frequency spectrum in nonequilibrium subdivided populations. Genetics. 182:205–216. , , , , and .
- 1974. Flowering plants : evolution above the species level. Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2003. A comparison of bayesian methods for haplotype reconstruction from population genotype data. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 73:1162–1169. , and .
- 2001. A new statistical method for haplotype reconstruction from population data. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 68:978–989. , , and .
- 2003. Patterns of nucleotide diversity in two species of Mimulus are affected by mating system and asymmetric introgression. Evolution. 57:2490–2506. , and .
- 1989. Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism. Genetics. 123:585–595.
- 2001. Is self-fertilization an evolutionary dead end? Revisiting an old hypothesis with genetic theories and a macroevolutionary approach. Am. J. Bot. 88:1143–1150. , and .
- 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731–2739. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Libsequence: a C++ class library for evolutionary genetic analysis. Bioinformatics. 19:2325–2327.
- 2010. Transcript assembly and quantification by RNA-Seq reveals unannotated transcripts and isoform switching during cell differentiation. Nat. Biotechnol. 28:511–515. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Theory of the effects of population structure and sampling on patterns of linkage disequilibrium applied to genomic data from humans. Genetics. 164:1043–1053. , and .
- 1975. On the number of segregating sites in genetical models without recombination. Theor. Popul. Biol. 7:256–276.
- 1997. The effective size of a subdivided population. Genetics. 146:427–441. , and .
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics. 16:97–159.
- 2007. Neutral evolution of synonymous base composition in the Brassicaceae. J. Mol. Evol. 64:136–141. , , , and .
- 2002. Rates and patterns of molecular evolution in inbred and outbred Arabidopsis. Mol. Biol. Evol. 19:1407–1420. , , and .
- 2003. Subdivision and haplotype structure in natural populations of Arabidopsis lyrata. Mol. Ecol. 12:1247–1263. , , and .
- 2004. Effects of gene expression on molecular evolution in Arabidopsis thaliana and Arabidopsis lyrata. Mol. Biol. Evol. 21:1719–1726. , , , and .
- 2007. PAML 4: phylogenetic analysis by maximum likelihood. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1586–1591.
- 2009. Estimating selection intensity on synonymous codon usage in a nonequilibrium population. Genetics. 183:651–662. , and .
Associate Editor: K. Bomblies