FISHER'S GEOMETRIC MODEL OF ADAPTATION MEETS THE FUNCTIONAL SYNTHESIS: DATA ON PAIRWISE EPISTASIS FOR FITNESS YIELDS INSIGHTS INTO THE SHAPE AND SIZE OF PHENOTYPE SPACE
Article first published online: 5 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolution published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of The Society for the Study of Evolution.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 67, Issue 10, pages 2957–2972, October 2013
How to Cite
Weinreich, D. M. and Knies, J. L. (2013), FISHER'S GEOMETRIC MODEL OF ADAPTATION MEETS THE FUNCTIONAL SYNTHESIS: DATA ON PAIRWISE EPISTASIS FOR FITNESS YIELDS INSIGHTS INTO THE SHAPE AND SIZE OF PHENOTYPE SPACE. Evolution, 67: 2957–2972. doi: 10.1111/evo.12156
- Issue published online: 3 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 5 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 6 MAY 2013 02:40PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 OCT 2011
- Brown University, National Science Foundation award. Grant Number: 1038657
- National Institutes of Health NRSA. Grant Number: 1 F32 GM086105
- 1991. A standard numbering scheme for the Class A β-lactamases. Biochem. J. 276:269–272. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1992. Ordering gene function: the interpretation of epistasis in regulatory hierarchies. Trends Genet. 8:312–316. , and .
- 1909. Mendel's principles of heredity. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2005. Thermodynamic prediction of protein neutrality. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:606–611. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Evidence for positive epistasis in HIV-1. Science 306:1547–1550. , , , , and .
- 2007. Evolution of hormone-receptor complexity by molecular exploitation. Science 312:97–100. , , and .
- 2000. Why evolutionary genetics does not always add up. Pp. 3–20 in J. B. Wolf, E. D. Brodie, III, and M. J. Wade, eds. Epistasis and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. .
- 2009. Temporal constraints on the incorporation of regulatory mutants in evolutionary pathways. Mol. Biol. Evol. 26:2455–2462. , , , and .
- 1999. Evolution by small steps and rugged landscapes in the RNA virus ø6. Genetics 151:921–927. , and .
- 2007. Genetic constraints on protein evolution. Crit. Rev. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 42:313–326. , , , and .
- 2010. Fisher's model and the genomics of adaptation: restricted pleiotropy, heterogeneous mutation, and parallel evolution. Evolution 64:3213–3231. , , and .
- 2010. The genetic landscape of a cell. Science 327:425–431. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1859. On the origin of species by means of natural selection. John Murray, Lond.
- 2009. Exploring the effect of sex on empirical fitness landscapes. Am. Nat. 174:S15–S30. , , and .
- 2007. Mechanistic approaches to the study of evolution: the functional synthesis. Nat. Rev. Genet. 8:675–688. , and .
- 2005. Missense meandering through sequence space: a biophysical perspective on protein evolution. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6:678–687. , , and .
- 1997a. Data from: test of synergistic interactions among deleterious mutations in bacteria. doi:10.5061/dryad.rg8mb. , and .
- 1997b. Test of synergistic interactions among deleterious mutations in bacteria. Nature 390:395–397. , and .
- 1930. The genetical theory of natural selection. Clarendon Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2002. Modern genetic analysis: integrating genes and chromosomes. W.H. Freeman, New York. , , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary framework for protein sequence evolution and gene pleiotropy. Genetics 175:1813–1822.
- 1996. Compensatory nearly neutral mutations: selection without adaptation. J. Theor. Biol. 182:303–309. , and .
- 1998. Toward a theory of evolutionary adaptation. Genetica 102/103:525–533. , and .
- 2010. Prevalent positive epistasis in Escherichia coli and Saccharomyces cerevisiae metabolic networks. Nature Genet. 42:272–276. , , , , and .
- 1997. A natural polymorphism in β-lactamase is a global suppressor. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94:8801–8806. , and .
- 1973. The control of flux. Symp. Soc. Exp. Biol. 27:65–104. , and .
- 1983. The neutral theory of molecular evolution. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 1966. The mutational load with epistatic gene interactions in fitness. Genetics 54:1337–1351. , and .
- 1988. Deleterious mutations and the evolution of sex. Nature 336:435–440.
- 1980. The genetic covariance between characters maintained by pleiotropic mutations. Genetics 94:203–215.
- 2001. The geometric of shape space: application to influenza. J. Theor. Biol. 212:57–69. , and .
- Le 2011. The emergence of complexity and restricted pleiotropy in adapting networks. BMC Evol. Biol. 11:326. ., , and .
- 2011. Complexity, pleiotropy, and the fitness effect of mutations. Evolution 65:1559–1571. , , and .
- 2009. Stepwise acquisition of pyrimethamine resistance in the malaria parasite. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 106:12025–12030. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Enzyme kinetics, substitutable resources and competition: from biochemistry to frequency-dependent selection in lac. Genetics 162:485–499. , , , and .
- 2005a. The biochemical architecture of an ancient adaptive landscape. Science 310:499–501. , , , and .
- 2005b. Data from: the biochemical architecture of an ancient adaptive landscape. doi:10.5061/dryad.7nd70. , , , and .
- 2001. Quantitative trait loci in Drosophila. Nat. Rev. Genet. 2:11–20.
- 2010. Diminishing returns from beneficial mutations and pervasive epistasis shape the fitness landscape for Rifampicin resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Genetics 186:1345–1354. , , and .
- 1990. Ancestral lysozymes reconstructed, neutrality tested, and thermostability linked to hydrocarbon packing. Nature 345:86–89. , , , , and .
- 2006. A general multivariate extension of Fisher's geometric model and the distribution of fitness effects across species. Evolution 60:893–907. , and .
- 2007. Distributions of epistasis in microbes fit predictions from a fitness landscape model. Nat. Genet. 39:555–560. , , and .
- 2001. Predicting the emergence of antibiotic resistance by directed evolution and structural analysis. Nat. Struct. Biol. 8:238–242. , , , , and .
- 1998. The population genetics of adaptation: the distribution of factors fixed during adaptive evolution. Evolution 52:935–949.
- 1999. The evolutionary genetics of adaptation: a simulation study. Genet Res 74:207–214. .
- 2005a. The genetic theory of adaptation: a brief history. Nature Rev. Genet. 6:119–127. .
- 2005b. Theories of adaptation: what they do and don't say. Genetica 123:3–13. .
- 2006. The distribution of fitness effects among beneficial mutations in Fisher's geometric model of adaptation. J Theor Biol 238:279–285. .
- 1979. Theoretical studies of clonal selection: minimal antibody repertoire size and reliability of self-non-self discrimination. J. Theor. Biol. 81:645–670. , and .
- 1998. The language of gene interaction. Genetics 149:1167–1171.
- 2008. Epistasis—the essential role of gene interactions in the structure and evolution of genetic systems. Nat. Rev. Genet. 9:855–867. .
- 2000. Compensating for our load of mutations: freezing the meltdown of small populations. Evolution 54:1467–1479. , and .
- 1994. TEM β-lactamase mutants hydrolysing third-generation cephalosporins. J. Mol. Biol. 2444:625–639. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Stability of TEM β-lactamase mutants hydrolyzing third generation cephalosporins. Proteins 23:63–72. , , , , , and .
- 2000. The evolution of developmental interactions. Pp. 82–98 in J. B. Wolf, E. D. I. Brodie and M. J. Wade, eds. Epistasis and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2011. Epistasis between beneficial mutations and the phenotype-to-fitness map for a ssdna virus. PLoS Genet. 7:e1002075. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Q&A: epistasis. J. Biol. 8:35. , , and .
- 2011. Initial mutations direct alternative pathways of protein evolution. PLoS Genet. 7:e1001321. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. The contribution of epistasis to the architecture of fitness in an RNA virus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 101:15376–15379. , , and .
- 2005. Modular epistasis in yeast metabolism. Nat. Genet. 37:77–83. , , , and .
- 2009. An exact steady state solution of Fisher's geometric model and other models. Theor. Popul. Biol. 75:30–34.
- 2011. Heterozygote advantage as a natural consequence of adaptation in diploids. Proc.Natl. Acad. Sci. 108:20666–20671. , , , and .
- 2001. A secondary drug resistance mutation of TEM-1 β-lactamase that suppresses misfolding and aggregation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98:283–288. , , , and .
- 1995. Biometry. W.H. Freeman and Company, New York. , and .
- 1993. Do deleterious mutations act synergistically? Metabolic control theory provides a partial answer. Genetics 133:127–132.
- 2007. Quantifying organismal complexity using a population genetic approach. PLoS One 2:e217. , , , and .
- 2008. How protein stability and new functions trade off. PLoS Comp. Biol. 4:e1000002. , , , and .
- 2005. Mimicking natural selection in metallo-β-lactamases through second-shell ligand mutations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:13761–13766. , , , and .
- 2009a. Data from: positive epistasis drives the acquisition of multidrug resistance. doi:10.5061/dryad.20k7j. , , , , , and .
- 2009b. Positive epistasis drives the acquisition of multidrug resistance. PLoS Genet. 5:e1000578. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Evolution of an antibiotic resistance enzyme constrained by stability and activity trade-offs. J. Mol. Biol. 320:85–95. , , and .
- 2006. Fisher's geometric model of evolutionary adaptation—beyond spherical geometry. J. Theor. Biol. 241:887–895.
- 2005. Fisher's microscope and Haldane's ellipse. Am. Nat. 166:447–457. , and .
- 2010. Predicting molecular evolutionary trajectories in principle and in practice. Encyclopedia of life sciences (ELS). John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, U.K.
- 2006. Darwinian evolution can follow only very few mutational paths to fitter proteins. Science 312:111–114. , , , and .
- 2005. Sign epistasis and genetic constraint on evolutionary trajectories. Evolution 59:1165–1174. , , and .
- 2003. Modularity and the cost of complexity. Evolution 57:1723–1734. , and .
- 2008. Molecular basis of spectral tuning in the red- and green-sensitive (M/LWS) pigments in vertebrates. Genetics 179:2037–2043. , , and .
- 2007. Protein stability imposes limits on organism complexity and speed of molecular evolution. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 104:16152–16157. , , and .
- 1998. Conformational gating as a mechanism for enzyme specificity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95:9280–9283. , , and .