DEVELOPMENTAL INSTABILITY IS GENETICALLY CORRELATED WITH PHENOTYPIC PLASTICITY, CONSTRAINING HERITABILITY, AND FITNESS
Version of Record online: 3 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolution published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of The Society for the Study of Evolution.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 67, Issue 10, pages 2923–2935, October 2013
How to Cite
Tonsor, S. J., Elnaccash, T. W. and Scheiner, S. M. (2013), DEVELOPMENTAL INSTABILITY IS GENETICALLY CORRELATED WITH PHENOTYPIC PLASTICITY, CONSTRAINING HERITABILITY, AND FITNESS. Evolution, 67: 2923–2935. doi: 10.1111/evo.12175
- Issue online: 3 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 JUL 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 MAY 2013 01:29PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 AUG 2012
- National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: DEB-0130347, IOS-1120383
- 1998. Development of an AFLP based linkage map of Ler, Col and Cvi Arabidopsis thaliana ecotypes and construction of a Ler/Cvi recombinant inbred line population. Plant J. 14:259–271. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Stress-induced variation in evolution: from behavioural plasticity to genetic assimilation. Proc. R. Soc. B 272:877–886.
- 2000. Atmospheric infrasound. Phys. Today 53:32–37. , and .
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Adv. Genet. 13:115–155.
- 2010. When do adaptive plasticity and genetic evolution prevent extinction of a density-regulated population? Evolution 64:1143–1150. , and .
- 1963. Genotype-environment interactions. Pp. 164–194 in W. D. Hanson and H. F. Robinson, eds. Statistical genetics and plant breeding. National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council, Washington, DC. , and .
- 2001. Mapping phenotypes: canalization, plasticity and developmental stability. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:555–561. , and .
- 2004. Phenotypic plasticity: functional and conceptual approaches. Oxford Univ. Press, Cary, NC. 262 p. , and .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:77–81. , , and .
- 2012. Phenotypic plasticity facilitates mutational variance, genetic variance, and evolvability along the major axis of environmental variation. Evolution 66:2891–2902. , and .
- 2009. Inflorescences contribute more than rosettes to lifetime carbon gain in Arabidopsis thaliana. Am. J. Bot. 96:786–792. , , , and .
- 2005. Mineral nutrition of plants: principles and perspectives. 2nd ed. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. 380 p. , and ,
- 1918. The correlation between relatives on the supposition of Mendelian inheritance. Trans. R. Soc. Edinb. 52:399–433.
- 1994. A quantitative-genetic model for selection on developmental noise. Evolution 48:1478–1486. , and .
- 1989. Plant nutrition: an introduction to current concepts. Jones and Bartlett, Boston, MA.
- 1993. Developmental stability: a sensitive indicator of populations under stress. Pp. 136–158 in W. G. Landis, J. S. Hughes, and M. A. Lewis, eds. Environmental toxicology and risk assessment. STP 1179. American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2007. Genetics of microenvironmental canalization. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 104:13717–13722. , , , and .
- 2011. Heritability is not evolvability. Evol. Biol. 38:258–277. , , and .
- 1997. Genetic and environmental responses to temperature of Drosophila melanogaster a latitudinal cline. Genetics 146:881–890. , , and .
- 2005. Stochasticity in gene expression: from theories to phenotypes. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6:451–464. , , , and
- 2007. Evolution of robustness to noise and mutation in gene expression dynamics. PLoS ONE 2:e434.
- 2012. Evolution of robustness and plasticity under environmental fluctuation: formulation in terms of phenotypic variances. J. Stat. Phys. 148:686–704. .
- 1984. The evolution of developmental plasticity in reproductive characteristics: an application of the “adaptive coin-flipping” principle. Am. Nat. 123:393–410. , and .
- 2009. Stochastic variation: from single cells to superorganisms. HFSP J. 3:379–385. doi:10.2976/1.3223356 , , and .
- 1999. Genetics of fluctuating asymmetry: a developmental model of developmental instability. Evolution 53:358–375. , and .
- 2006. Noise. Viking Press, New York.
- 2005. Phenotypic diversity, population growth, and information in fluctuating environments. Science 309:2075–2078. , and .
- 2009. Adaptation to an extraordinary environment by evolution of phenotypic plasticity and genetic assimilation. J. Evol. Biol. 22:1435–1436.
- 2003. Quantitative trait loci analysis of nitrogen use efficiency in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 131:345–358. , , , , and ,
- 2005. Quantitative trait loci controlling root growth and architecture in Arabidopsis thaliana confirmed by heterogeneous inbred family. Theor. Appl. Genet. 110:742–753. , , , and .
- 1998. Genetics and the analysis of quantitative traits. Sinaur Associates, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2006. Cryptic genetic variation is enriched for potential adaptations. Genetics 172:1985–1991.
- 1997. Experimental manipulation of putative selective agents provides evidence for the role of natural enemies in the evolution of plant defense. Evolution 51:1435–1444. , and .
- 2000. Chlorophyll fluorescence—a practical guide. J. Exp. Bot. 51:659–668. , and .
- 1997. Stochastic mechanisms in gene expression. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 94:814–819. , and .
- 2000. Multivariate statistics for wildlife and ecology research. Springer, New York. , , and .
- 2011. The role of developmental plasticity in evolutionary innovation. Proc. R. Soc. B 278:2705–2713. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. What's all the noise about developmental stochasticity? Development 138:601–607.
- 2007. Influence of plasticity and learning on evolution under directional selection. Am. Nat. 170:E47–E58. , , , and .
- 1986. Fluctuating asymmetry: measurement, analysis, patterns. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 17:391–421. , and .
- 1968. Environmental and genotype-environmental components of variability. III. Multiple lines and crosses. Heredity 23:339–356. , and .
- 1973. The assessment and specificity of environmental and genotype-environmental components of variability. Heredity 30:111–126. , and .
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity: beyond nature and nuture. Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2000. The role of biomass allocation in the growth response of plants to different levels of light, CO2, nutrients and water: a quantitative review. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 27:595–607. , and .
- 1991. Higher plant responses to environmental nitrate. Physiol. Plant. 82:640–650. , and .
- 2003. The evolution of plant functional variation: Traits, spectra and strategies. Int. J. Plant Sci. 164:S143–S164. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. The ecological significance of plasticity in root weight ratio in response to nitrogen: opinion. Plant Soil 185:75–97. , and .
- 1998. Hsp90 as a capacitor for morphological evolution. Nature 396:336–342. , and .
- 2008. HSP90-buffered genetic variation is common in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 105:2969–2974. , , , , , , , , , and .
- SAS Institute. 2005. SAS 9.1.3. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- 2012. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. X. Variation versus uncertainty. Ecol. Evol. 2:751–767. , and .
- 1991. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. III. Genetic correlations and fluctuating asymmetries. J. Evol. Biol. 4:51–68. , , and .
- 2012. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. XI. Joint evolution of plasticity and dispersal rate. Ecol. Evol. 2:2027–2039. , , and .
- 1987. What is bet-hedging? Pp. 182–211 in P. H. Harvey and L. Partridge, eds. Oxford surveys in evolutionary biology. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 1999. Lateral root frequency decreases when nitrate accumulates in tobacco transformants with low nitrate reductase activity: consequences for the regulation of biomass portioning between shoots and root. Plant Soil 215:143–153. , and .
- 2007. Plastic trait integration across a CO2 gradient in Arabidopsis thaliana. Am. Nat. 169:E119–E140. , and .
- 1999. Accuracy and power in fluctuating asymmetry studies: effects of sample size and number of within subject repeats. J. Evol. Biol. 12:547–550.
- 1997. Human alteration of the global nitrogen cycle: causes and consequences. Ecol. Appl. 7:737–750. , , , , , , , and .
- 1953. Genetic assimilation of an acquired character. Evolution 7:118–126.
- 1997. A population genetic theory of canalization. Evolution 51:329–347. , , and .
- 2006. Nitrogen regulation of root branching. Ann. Bot. 97:875–881. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Developmental plasticity and evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford U.K.
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economic spectrum. Nature 428:821–827. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Evolution and the maintenance of the environmental component of the phenotypic variance: benefit of plastic traits under changing conditions. Am. Nat. 166:569–580.