ECOLOGICAL CONSTRAINTS INFLUENCE THE EMERGENCE OF COOPERATIVE BREEDING WHEN POPULATION DYNAMICS DETERMINE THE FITNESS OF HELPERS
Version of Record online: 10 JUL 2013
© 2015 The Authors Evolution published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of The Society for the Study of Evolution
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 67, Issue 11, pages 3221–3232, November 2013
How to Cite
McLeod, D. V. and Wild, G. (2013), ECOLOGICAL CONSTRAINTS INFLUENCE THE EMERGENCE OF COOPERATIVE BREEDING WHEN POPULATION DYNAMICS DETERMINE THE FITNESS OF HELPERS. Evolution, 67: 3221–3232. doi: 10.1111/evo.12188
- Issue online: 23 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 JUL 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 JUN 2013 02:16PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 MAR 2013
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- 1987. Helping and communal breeding in birds. Monographs in behavior and ecology. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2002. Breeding together: kin selection and mutualism in cooperative vertebrates. Science 296:69–72. .
- 2009. Cooperation between non-kin in animal societies. Nature 462:51–57. .
- 1998. Evolution of helping behavior in cooperatively breeding birds. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 29:141–177. .
- 2004. Facultative sex ratio adjustment by western bluebird mothers with stay-at-home helpers-at-the-nest. Anim. Behav. 68:373–380. .
- 2004. Fitness consequences of helping. Pp. 48–66, in W. D. Koenig and J. L. Dickinson, eds. Ecology and evolution of cooperative breeding in birds. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 1982a. The evolution of helping. I. An ecological constraints model. Am. Nat. 119:29–39.
- 1982b. The evolution of helping. II. The role of behavioral conflict. Am. Nat. 119:40–53. .
- 1986. Sex ratios in species with helpers-at-the-nest. Am. Nat. 127:1–8. , , and .
- 2002. Kin selection: fact and fiction. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:15–21. , and .
- 1964. The genetical evolution of social behavior. I and II. J. Theor. Biol. 7:1–52. .
- 1985. Replacement of breeders and within-group conflict in the cooperatively breeding acorn woodpecker. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 17:303–312. , , , and .
- 1999. Investment strategies of breeders in avian cooperative breeding systems. Am. Nat. 154:205–219. .
- 1999. The cost of helping. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:53–57. , and .
- 2004. Parental care, load-lightening and costs. Pp. 67–80, in W. D. Koenig and J. L. Dickinson, eds. Ecology and evolution of cooperative breeding in birds. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2010. Next-generation tools for evolutionary invasion analysis. J. R. Soc. Interface 7:561–571. , , and .
- 1994. Cooperative breeding in mammals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9:89–93. , and .
- 2004. Incest and incest avoidance. Pp. 142–156, in W. D. Koenig and J. L. Dickinson, eds. Ecology and evolution of cooperative breeding in birds. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 1992. Delayed dispersal in cooperative breeders. Q. Rev. Biol. 67:111–150. , , , and .
- 2001. The evolution of cooperative breeding through group augmentation. Proc. R. Soc. B 268:187–196. , , and .
- 1992. Importance of habitat saturation and territory quality for evolution of cooperative breeding in the Seychelles warbler. Nature 358:493–495. .
- 2011. Nest inheritance is the missing source of direct fitness in a primitively eusocial insect. Science 333:874–876. , , , , and .
- 2012. Promiscuity and the evolution of cooperative breeding. Proc. R. Soc. B 279:1405–1411. , , , and .
- 1993. Helpers at parents' nest: a game theoretic approach. J. Theor. Biol. 163:127–134. .
- 2000a. Towards a unified theory of cooperative breeding: the role of ecology and life history re-examined. Proc. R. Soc. B 267:2411–2418. , and .
- 2000b. Sex-ratio optimization with helpers at the nest. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267:539–543. , and .
- 1996. Differential equations and dynamical systems. Springer, New York.
- 1990. Sex ratio and habitat limitation promote delayed dispersal in superb fairy-wrens. Nature 348:541–542. , and .
- 1993. Queen-queen conflicts in polygynous societies: mutual tolerance and reproductive skew. Pp. 45–85, in L. Keller, ed. Queen number and sociality in insects. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 2008. Maternal investment tactics in superb fairy-wrens. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 275:29–36. , , , and .
- 2011. Load lightening in southern lapwings: group-living mothers lay smaller eggs than pair-living mothers. Ethology 117:547–555. , and .
- 2012. Better off alone! reproductive competition and ecological constraints determine sociality in the african striped mouse (Rhabdomys pumilio). J. Anim. Ecol. 81:649–656. , and .
- 1961. Helpers among birds. Condor 63:198–226. .
- 1992. Altruism in viscous populations—an inclusive fitness model. Evol. Ecol. 6:352–356. .
- 1996. How to make a kin selection model. J. Theor. Biol. 180:27–37. , and .
- 2006. Sex ratios when helpers stay at the nest. Evolution 60:2012–2022. .
- 1984. The evolution of cooperative breeding by delayed reciprocity and queuing for favorable social positions. Evolution 38:609–621. , and .
- 2011. The evolution of cooperative breeding in the African cichlid fish, Neolamprologus pulcher. Biol. Rev. 86:511–530. , and .