These authors contributed equally.
PARALLEL EVOLUTION OF LOCAL ADAPTATION AND REPRODUCTIVE ISOLATION IN THE FACE OF GENE FLOW
Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Evolution published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of The Society for the Study of Evolution.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 68, Issue 4, pages 935–949, April 2014
How to Cite
Butlin, R. K., Saura, M., Charrier, G., Jackson, B., André, C., Caballero, A., Coyne, J. A., Galindo, J., Grahame, J. W., Hollander, J., Kemppainen, P., Martínez-Fernández, M., Panova, M., Quesada, H., Johannesson, K. and Rolán-Alvarez, E. (2014), PARALLEL EVOLUTION OF LOCAL ADAPTATION AND REPRODUCTIVE ISOLATION IN THE FACE OF GENE FLOW. Evolution, 68: 935–949. doi: 10.1111/evo.12329
- Issue online: 1 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 DEC 2013 07:31AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 AUG 2013
- 2013. Hybridization and speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 26:229–246. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol. Biol. Evol. 16:37–48. , , and .
- 2008. Adaptation from standing genetic variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:38–44. , and .
- 2010. Approximate Bayesian computation in evolution and ecology. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 41:379–406.
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proc. R. Soc. B: Biol. Sci. 263:1619–1626. , and .
- 2009. Learning about modes of speciation by computational approaches. Evolution 63:2547–2562. , and .
- 2004. Effect of unsampled populations on the estimation of population sizes and migration rates between sampled populations. Mol. Ecol. 13:827–836.
- 2011. The coupling hypothesis: why genome scans may fail to map local adaptation genes. Mol. Ecol. 20:2044–2072. , , , , and .
- 2013. The geography of introgression in a patchy environment and the thorn in the side of ecological speciation. Curr. Zool. 59:72–86. , , and .
- 2008. Solving cryptogenic histories using host and parasite molecular genetics: the resolution of Littorina littorea's North American origin. Mol. Ecol. 17:3684–3696. , , and .
- 2012. What do we need to know about speciation? Trends Ecol. Evol. 27:27–39. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Sympatric, parapatric or allopatric: the most important way to classify speciation? Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B, Biol. Sci. 363:2997–3007. , , and .
- 2008. Impact of amplified fragment length polymorphism size homoplasy on the estimation of population genetic diversity and the detection of selective loci. Genetics 179:539–554. , , and .
- 2012. The Littorina sequence database (LSD)—an online resource for genomic data. Mol. Ecol. Res. 12:142–148. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Decomposing shell form into size and shape by geometric morphometric methods in two sympatric scotypes of Littorina saxatilis. J. Molluscan Stud. 71:313–318. , , and .
- 2008. Parsimony dictates a human introduction: on the use of genetic and other data to distinguish between the natural and human-mediated invasion of the European snail Littorina littorea in North America. Biol. Invasions 10:131–133. , , , and .
- 2007. Numerical reconstructions of the Northern Hemisphere ice sheets through the last glacial-interglacial cycle. Clim. Past 3:15–37. , , , , and .
- 2010. Don't forget the ancestral polymorphisms. Heredity 105:509–510.
- 2000. TCS: a computer program to estimate gene genealogies. Mol. Ecol. 9:1657–1659. , , and .
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of Ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307:1928–1933. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Revealing the mechanisms of sexual isolation in a case of sympatric and parallel ecological divergence. Biol. J. Linnean Soc. 94:513–526. , , , and .
- 2009. Relative role of genetic determination and plastic response during ontogeny for shell-shape traits subjected to diversifying selection. Evolution 63:1356–1363. , , and .
- 2012. Recent progress in polymorphism-based population genetic inference. J. Hered. 103:287–296. , , , , and .
- 2008. How to use genetic data to distinguish between natural and human-mediated introduction of Littorina littorea to North America. Biol. Invasions 10:1–6.
- 2011. Phylogeographic analysis reveals a deep lineage split within North Atlantic Littorina saxatilis. Proc. R. Soc. B: Biol. Sci. 278:3175–3183. , , , and .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Res. 10:564–567. , and .
- 2011. Fastsimcoal: a continuous-time coalescent simulator of genomic diversity under arbitrarily complex evolutionary scenarios. Bioinformatics 27:1332–1334. , and .
- 1981. Skepticism towards Santa Rosalia, or Why are there so few kinds of animals? Evolution 35:124–138.
- 2009. Comparing geographical genetic differentiation between candidate and noncandidate loci for adaptation strengthens support for parallel ecological divergence in the marine snail Littorina saxatilis. Mol. Ecol. 18:919–930. , , and .
- 2010. An EST-based genome scan using 454 sequencing in the marine snail Littorina saxatilis. J. Evol. Biol. 23:2004–2016. , , and .
- 2004. Fitness landscapes and the origin of species. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2007. Case studies and mathematical models of ecological speciation. 1. Cichlids in a crater lake. Mol. Ecol. 16:2893–2909. , , , , and .
- 2006. Adaptation to a steep environmental gradient and an associated barrier to gene exchange in Littorina saxatilis. Evolution 60:268–278. , , and .
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp. Ser. 41:95–98.
- 2011. Quaternary phylogeography: the roots of hybrid zones. Genetica 139:617–638.
- 2012. Extensive linkage disequilibrium and parallel adaptive divergence across threespine stickleback genomes. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B, Biol. Sci. 367:395–408. , , , and .
- 2012. A genome scan and linkage disequilibrium analysis among chromosomal races of the Australian grasshopper Vandiemenella viatica. PLoS One 7:e47549. , , , , and .
- 1982. Genetic and environmental effects on the growth rate of Littorina saxatilis Olivi. Marine Biol. 69:73–78.
- 1986. Shell morphology of Littorina saxatilis Olivi: the relative importance of physical factors and predation. J. Exp. Marine Biol. Ecol. 102:183–195.
- 2001. Parallel speciation: a key to sympatric divergence. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:148–153.
- 1995. Dispersal and population expansion in a direct developing marine snail (Littorina saxatilis) following a severe population bottleneck. Hydrobiologia 309:173–180. , and .
- 1996. Population differences in behaviour and morphology in Littorina saxatilis: Phenotypic plasticity or genetic differentiation? J. Zool. 240:475–493. , and .
- 1993. Morphological differentiation and genetic cohesiveness over a microenvironmental gradient in the marine snail Littorina saxatilis. Evolution 47:1770–1787. , , and .
- 2010. Repeated evolution of reproductive isolation in a marine snail: unveiling mechanisms of speciation. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B, Biol. Sci. 365:1735–1747. , , , , , and .
- 2012. The genomic basis of adaptive evolution in threespine sticklebacks. Nature 484:55–61. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Genomic signatures of divergent selection and speciation patterns in a ‘natural experiment’, the young parallel radiations of Nicaraguan crater lake cichlid fishes. Mol. Ecol. 21:4770–4786. , , and .
- 2011. Intron sequences of arginine kinase in an intertidal snail suggest an ecotype-specific selective sweep and a gene duplication. Heredity 106:808–816. , , , and .
- 2007. Clustal W and Clustal X version 2.0. Bioinformatics 23:2947–2948. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Bayesian computation and model selection without likelihoods. Genetics 184:243–252. , and .
- 2004. How species evolve collectively: implications of gene flow and selection for the spread of advantageous alleles. Mol. Ecol. 13:1341–1356. , and .
- 2008. Recent divergence with gene flow in Tennessee cave salamanders (Plethodontidae: Gyrinophilus) inferred from gene genealogies. Mol. Ecol. 17:2258–2275. , , and .
- 2012. Ecological speciation. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2012. Parallel ecological speciation in plants? Intl. J. Ecol. 2012:1–17. , , , and .
- 2006. Site-specific genetic divergence in parallel hybrid zones suggests nonallopatric evolution of reproductive barriers. Mol. Ecol. 15:4021–4031. , , and .
- 2011. Glacial history of the North Atlantic marine snail, Littorina saxatilis, inferred from distribution of mitochondrial DNA lineages. PLOS ONE 6:e17511. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Divergence with gene flow: models and data. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. System. 41:215–230. , and .
- 2007. Phylogenetic evidence for multiple sympatric ecological diversification in a marine snail. Evolution 61:1600–1612. , , , , and .
- 1996. Systematics and evolution of Littorina. Ray Society, London.
- 1996. DNA, morphology and fossils: phylogeny and evolutionary rates of the gastropod genus Littorina. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B, Biol. Sci. 351:877–895. , , and .
- 2011. Lack of confidence in approximate Bayesian computation model choice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108:11517–15112. , , , and .
- 2005. TPSRELW: relative warps analysis. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY.
- 2006. TPSDIG: a program for digitizing “landmarks” and outlines for geometric morphometric analyses. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY. .
- 2004. Nonallopatric and parallel origin of local reproductive barriers between two snail ecotypes. Mol. Ecol. 13:3415–3424. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. DnaSP, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19:2496–2497. , , , and .
- 2009. Case studies and mathematical models of ecological speciation. 3: Ecotype formation in a Swedish snail. Mol. Ecol. 18:4006–4023. , , , , and .
- 2012. Reconciling extremely strong barriers with high levels of gene exchange in annual sunflowers. Evolution 66:1459–1473. , , , , and .
- 2012. Dietary effects on shell growth and shape in an intertidal marine snail, Littorina saxatilis. J. Molluscan Stud. 78:213–216. , , , , and .
- 2009. Evidence for ecological speciation and its alternative. Science 323:737–741.
- 2009. Genetics and ecological speciation. Proc, Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:9955–9962. , and .
- 1995. Parallel speciation by natural selection. Am. Nat. 146:292–301. , and .
- 2011. A framework for comparing processes of speciation in the presence of gene flow. Mol. Ecol. 20:5123–5140. , and .
- 2000. Genetic structure and relationships in the snail species complex Littorina arcana Hannaford Ellis, L. compressa Jeffreys and L. saxatilis (Olivi) in the British Isles using SSCPs of cytochrome-b fragments. Heredity 84:692–701. , and .
- 2008. Combining population genomics and quantitative genetics: finding the genes underlying ecologically important traits. Heredity 100:158–170. , and .
- 2008. Molecular demographic history of the annual sunflowers Helianthus annuus and H. petiolaris—large effective population sizes and rates of long-term gene flow. Evolution 62:1936–1950. , and .
- 2013. Methodological challenges to realizing the potential of hybridization research. J. Evol. Biol. 26:259–260. , and .
- 2012. Parallel speciation in Astyanax cave fish (Teleostei) in Northern Mexico. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 62:62–70. , , and .
- 1997. The CLUSTAL_X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:4876–4882.
- 2002. Data from amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) markers show indication of size homoplasy and of a relationship between degree of homoplasy and fragment size. Mol. Ecol. 11:139–151. , , , and .
- 1981. Predation through geological time: evidence from gastropod shell repair. Science 214:1024–1026. , , and .
- 2009. Natural selection in action during speciation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:9939–9946.
- 1995. AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23:4407–4414. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Phylogeography and historical ecology of the North Atlantic intertidal. Evolution 55:2455–2469. , and .
- 2002. Refuting a controversial case of a human-mediated marine species introduction. Ecol. Lett. 5:577–584. , , , and .
- 2009. Efficient approximate Bayesian computation coupled with Markov Chain Monte Carlo without likelihood. Genetics 182:1207–1218. , , and .
- 2010. ABCtoolbox: a versatile toolkit for approximate Bayesian computations. BMC Bioinform. 11:116. , , , and .
- 2008. An objective, rapid and reproducible method for scoring AFLP peak-height data that minimizes genotyping error. Mol. Ecol. Res. 8:725–735. , , , , and .
- 2001. Differential gene exchange between parapatric morphs of Littorina saxatilis detected using AFLP markers. J. Evol. Biol. 14:611–619. , , and .
- 1999. Partial sequence of the mitochondrial genome of Littorina saxatilis: relevance to gastropod phylogenetics. J. Mol. Evol. 48:348–359. , , and .
- 2007. Recombination-filtered genomic datasets by information maximization. Bioinformatics 23:1851–1853. , , and .
- 2008. Sequence differentiation in regions identified by a genome scan for local adaptation. Mol. Ecol. 17:3123–3135. , , , , and .
Associate Editor: J. Wares