The role of CITES in the conservation of marine fishes subject to international trade
Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Fish and Fisheries
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 563–592, December 2014
How to Cite
Vincent, A. C. J., Sadovy de Mitcheson, Y. J., Fowler, S. L. and Lieberman, S. (2014), The role of CITES in the conservation of marine fishes subject to international trade. Fish and Fisheries, 15: 563–592. doi: 10.1111/faf.12035
- Issue online: 23 OCT 2014
- Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 JAN 2013
- Environment Group, Pew Charitable Trusts
- 2009) Estimating the worldwide extent of illegal fishing. PLoS ONE 4, e4570. , , et al. (
- 2007) Pterapogon kauderni. IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.1. Available at: www.iucnredlist.org (accessed 20 September 2012). and (
- 2009) Trade and Fisheries: Key Issues for the World Trade Organization. Staff Working Paper ERSD-2010-03, World Trade Organization, Geneva. Available at: http://www.wto.org/english/res_e/reser_e/ersd201003_e.pdf (accessed 25 February 2013). and (
- 2010) First Census of Marine Life 2010: Highlights of a Decade of Discovery. Census of Marine Life, International Secretariat Consortium for Ocean Leadership, Washington, DC, pp. 68. , and (eds) (
- 2003) Collapse and conservation of shark populations in the Northwest Atlantic. Science 299, 389–392. , , , , and (
- 2007) Increasing the Contribution of Small-Scale Fisheries to Poverty Alleviation and Food Security. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper. No. 481. FAO, Rome, pp. 125. , and (
- 2011) Global sturgeon aquaculture production: an overview. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 27, 169–175. , and (
- 1995) Life history and conservation of Totoaba macdonaldi. Conservation Biology 9, 806–814. , and (
- CITES (1992) Eighth Meeting of the Conference of the Parties. Summary report of the Committee I Meeting. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/08/E-Com-I.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2000) Amendments to Appendices I and II of CITES. Proposal 11.32. Transfer the North American populations of Falco rusticolus from Appendix I to Appendix II. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/11/prop/32.pdf (accessed 24 February 2013).
- CITES (2002a) Twelfth meeting of the Conference of the Parties. Plenary Meeting. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/12/rep/Plen8.PDF (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2002b) Conservation of seahorses and other members of the family Syngnathidae. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/12/doc/E12-43.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2006) Memorandum of understanding between the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the Secretariat of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/sec/fao-cites-e.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2007) Sharks: Report of the Animals Committee. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/14/doc/E14-59-1.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2008) International expert workshop on non-detriment findings. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/com/PC/18/E-PC18-14-01.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2009) Extension of the 2009 SCRS Meeting to Consider the Status of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna Populations with Respect to CITES Biological Listing Criteria. CITES, Madrid, Spain, October 2 1-23, 2009 Doc. No. PA2-604/2009. Available at: http://www.cites.org/common/cop/15/inf/E15i-13.pdf (accessed 24 February 2013).
- CITES (2010) Consideration of proposals for amendment of Appendices I and II. CoP15 Prop. 2. Removal of Lynx rufus (bobcat) from Appendix II. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/15/prop/E-15-Prop-02.pdf (accessed 24 February 2013).
- CITES (2012a) Appendices I, II and III: valid from 25 September 2012. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2012b) The CITES species. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/species.php (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2012c) Sturgeons. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/prog/sturgeon.php (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2012d) Twenty-sixth meeting of the Animals Committee: Review of Significant Trade in specimens of Appendix-II species. Species selected following CoP13 and CoP14. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/com/ac/26/E26-12-02.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2012e) Twenty-sixth meeting of the Animals Committee. Review of significant trade in specimens of Appendix-II species. Agenda item 12. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/com/ac/26/wg/E26-WG07-R1.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- CITES (2013) Criteria for the inclusion of species in Appendices I and II. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/16/doc/E-CoP16-71.pdf (accessed 24 February 2013).
- CITES Management Authority of the People's Republic of China (2002) Sharks and CoP12 – A case for caution. CoP12 Inf. 30. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/12/inf/E12i-30.PDF (accessed 24 February 2013).
- 2004) Understanding pressures on fishery resources through trade statistics: a pilot study of four products in the Chinese dried seafood market. Fish and Fisheries 5, 53–74. (
- 2008) Use of shark fin trade data to estimate historic total shark removals in the Atlantic Ocean. Aquatic Living Resources 21, 373–381. (
- 2006a) Global estimates of shark catches using trade records from commercial markets. Ecology Letters 9, 1115–1126. , , et al. (
- 2006b) Identification of shark species composition and proportion in the Hong Kong shark fin market based on molecular genetics and trade records. Conservation Biology 20, 201–211. , , , and (
- 2009) Estimating legal and illegal catches of Russian sockeye salmon from trade and market data. ICES Journal of Marine Science 66, 532–545. , and (
- 2005) The rising tide of fisheries instruments and the struggle to keep afloat. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 360, 77–94. and (
- 2009) A Fishery Manager's Guidebook, 2nd edn. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK, pp. 544. and (eds) (
- 2011) High value and long life—double Jeopardy for Tunas and billfishes. Science 333, 291–292. , , et al. (
- 2011) Application of CITES Listing Criteria to Commercially Exploited Marine Species. Available at: http://www.cites.org/common/com/ac/25/E25i-10.pdf (accessed 24 February 2013). (
- 2010) Economic incentives and global fisheries sustainability. Annual Review of Resource Economics 2, 299–318. , , and (
- 2012) Status and Solutions for the World's Unassessed Fisheries. Science 338, 517–520. , , , , and (
- 2006) Recent developments in CITES concerning the international trade in queen conch (Strombus gigas). In: Proceedings of the 57th Annual Gulf Caribbean Fish Institute. (ed. R. LeRoy Creweel), Fort Pierce, Florida, pp. 765–770. and (
- 2010) Lessons learned from stock collapse and recovery of North Sea herring: a review. ICES Journal of Marine Science 67, 1875–1886. , , et al. (
- 2002) International Conservation Treaties, Poverty and Development: The Case of CITES. Natural Resource Perspectives 74. Overseas Development Institute, London, UK. (
- 2009) Gaining traction: retreading the wheels of marine conservation. Conservation Biology 23, 841–846. , , , , and (
- DSTF (2003) Regional Strategy for the Conservation and Sustainable Management of Sturgeon Populations of the N-W Black Sea and Lower Danube River in Accordance with CITES (26 November 2003). Danube Sturgeon Task Force. Available at: http://www.dstf.eu/assets/Uploads/documents/NAP/Regional-Strategy-for-the-Conservation-and-Sustainable-Management-of-Sturgeon-Populations-CITES.pdf (accessed 24 February 2013).
- 2003) Extinction vulnerability in marine populations. Fish and Fisheries 4, 25–64. , and (
- 2005) Comparison of threat and exploitation status in Northeast Atlantic marine populations. Journal of Applied Ecology 42, 883–891. , , , and (
- 2008) You can swim but you can't hide: the global status and conservation of oceanic pelagic sharks and rays. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 18, 459–482. , , et al. (
- 2011) Tracking the International Trade of Seahorses (Hippocampus species) – the Importance of CITES. Fisheries Centre Research Reports 19(2). Fisheries Centre, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC. , , and (
- FAO (1995) Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries. FAO, Rome, pp. 41.
- FAO (1998a) Report of the FAO Technical Working Group on the Conservation and Management of Sharks. FAO Fisheries Report No. 583. FAO, Rome.
- FAO (1998b) Report of the Preparatory Meeting for the Consultation on the Management of Fishing Capacity, Shark Fisheries and Incidental Catch of Seabirds in Long line Fisheries. FAO Fisheries Report No. 584. FAO, Rome.
- FAO (2000a) Technical Consultation on the Suitability of the CITES Criteria for Listing Commercially-Exploited Aquatic Species. FAO Fisheries Report No. 629. FAO, Rome.
- FAO (2000b) Fisheries management. 1. Conservation and management of sharks. FAO Technical Guidelines for Responsible Fisheries. No. 4, Suppl. 1. FAO, Rome. pp. 37.
- FAO (2001) Second technical consultation on the suitability of the CITES criteria for listing commercially-exploited aquatic species. FI:SLC2/2001/2. Available at: http://www.fao.org/docrep/MEETING/003/Y1455E.HTM (accessed 31 December 2012).
- FAO (2004) Report of the FAO Ad Hoc Expert Advisory Panel for the Assessment of Proposals to Amend Appendices I and II of CITES Concerning Commercially-exploited Aquatic Species. FAO Fisheries Report No. 748. FAO, Rome, pp. 51.
- FAO (2006) CITES issues with respect to international fish trade and the CITES/FAO MOU. FAO Sub Committee 54, Doc10. Available at: http://www.cites.org/eng/com/sc/54/E54-10A.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- FAO (2007) Report of the second FAO Ad Hoc Expert Advisory Panel for the Assessment of Proposals to Amend Appendices I and II of CITES Concerning Commercially-exploited Aquatic Species. FAO Fisheries Report No. 833. FAO, Rome, pp. 133.
- FAO (2011) Fisheries management. 4. Marine protected areas and fisheries. FAO Technical Guidelines for Responsible Fisheries No. 4, Suppl. 4. FAO, Rome, pp. 198.
- FAO (2012a) The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2012. FAO, Rome, pp. 209.
- FAO (2012b) Search Fishery Governance Fact Sheets: Regional Fishery Bodies. FAO, Rome, Available at: http://www.fao.org/fishery/rfb/search/en (accessed 31 December 2012).
- FAO (2012c) Report of the Thirtieth Session of the Committee on Fisheries, Rome 9-16 July 2012. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Report No. 101. FAO, Rome.
- FAO (2013) Report of the fourth FAO Expert Advisory Panel for the Assessment of Proposals to Amend Appendices I and II of CITES Concerning Commercially-exploited Aquatic Species, Rome, 3–8 December 2012. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Report No. R1032. FAO, Rome, pp. 160.
- 2005) Enhancing sustainability of the international trade in seahorses with a single minimum size limit. Conservation Biology 19, 1044–1050. and (
- 2010) Anguilla anguilla. In: IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.1. Available at: www.iucnredlist.org (accessed 20 September 2012). and (
- 2013) Performance of regional fisheries management organizations: ecosystem-based governance of bycatch and discards. Fish and Fisheries. doi: 10.1111/faf.12021. , and (
- 1990) The conservation of Totoaba macdonaldi (Gilbert), (Pisces: Sciaenidae), in the Gulf of California, Mexico. Journal of Fish Biology 37, 201–202. (
- 2000) IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. International Union for the Conservation of Nature, Gland. Switzerland, pp. 61. (
- 2001) Conservation biology of marine fishes: perceptions and caveats regarding assignment of extinction risk. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58, 108–121. (
- 2000) CITES: the vision. In: Endangered Species: Threatened Convention. The Past, Present and Future of CITES (eds J. Hutton and B. Dickson), Earthscan Publications, London, UK, pp 10–11. (
- ICCAT (2008) Report of the independent review. Available at: http://www.iccat.int/Documents/Meetings/Docs/Comm/PLE-106-ENG.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- ICCAT (2012a) Report of the Standing Committee on Research and Statistics. Madrid, Spain - October 1 to 5, 2012. Available at: http://iccat.org/Documents/Meetings/SCRS2012/2012_SCRS_REP_EN.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- ICCAT (2012b) 2012 Annual ICCAT Meeting Press Release. Available at: http://iccat.org/Documents/Meetings/COMM2012/PRESS-REL-2012_ENG.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- ICCAT (2012c) Recommendations and resolutions adopted at the 18th Special Meeting of the Commission. ICCAT Circular #5815/2012. Available at: http://iccat.org/Documents/Other/2012-RECRES_ENG.pdf (accessed 31 December 2012).
- ICES (2012) Report of the Joint EIFAAC/ICES Working Group on Eels (WGEEL), 3–9 September 2012, Copenhagen, Denmark. ICES CM 2012/ACOM:18, pp. 824.
- IUCN. (2012) IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria: Version 3.1, 2nd edn. Gland, Switzerland and Cambridge, UK, IUCN. iv + pp. 32.
- 2010) The future of the oceans past. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 365, 3765–3778. (
- 2001) Historical overfishing and the recent collapse of coastal ecosystems. Science 293, 629–637. , , et al. (
- 1988) The case for data-less marine resource management: examples from tropical nearshore fin fisheries. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13, 243–246. (
- 2000) Conservation of the Nile crocodile: has CITES helped or hindered? In: Endangered Species: Threatened Convention. The Past, Present and Future of CITES (eds J. Hutton and B. Dickson). Earthscan Publications, London, UK, pp. 88–97. (
- 2010) Proceedings of the regional workshop on the management of sustainable fisheries for giant clams (Tridacnidae) and CITES capacity building (4–7 August 2009, Nadi, Fiji). Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC). Available at: http://www.spc.int/aquaculture/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=251&Itemid=3 (accessed 23 February 2013). and (
- 2008) Continuing CCAMLR's Fight against IUU Fishing for Toothfish. WWF Australia and TRAFFIC International, pp. 60. (
- 1997) Is tuna critically endangered? Extinction risk of a large and overexploited population. Ecological Research 12, 345–356. , and (
- 2009) Management effectiveness of the world's marine fisheries. PLoS Biology 7, e1000131. , , et al. (
- 1999) Ecology and conservation of long-lived marine animals. In: Life in the Slow Lane: Ecology and Conservation of Long-Lived Marine Animals (ed. J.A. Musick). American Fisheries Society Symposium 23, Bethesda, MD, pp. 1–10. (
- 2011). Sharks (Special Topics C2), pp. 245-253, in: Review of the state of world marine fisheries resources. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper No. 569, FAO, Rome, pp. 334. and (
- 1994) Butterfly ranching: sustainable use of insects and sustainable benefit to habitats. Oryx 28, 169–172. (
- Pew (2012) Navigating Global Shark Conservation Measures: Current Measures and Gaps. Report by Environment Group, Pew Charitable Trusts, Washington, D.C., pp. 29. Available at: http://www.pewenvironment.org/news-room/reports/navigating-global-shark-conservation-measures-current-measures-and-gaps-85899403511 (accessed 31 December 2012).
- 2005) Status, trends and management of sturgeon and paddlefish fisheries. Fish and Fisheries 6, 233–265. , , , and (
- 2009) Not honouring the code. Nature 457, 658–659. , , and (
- 2006) CITES, the convention on international trade in endangered species of wild fauna and flora: its role in the conservation of acipenseriformes. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 22, 53–65. (
- 2005) Biology of extinction risk in marine fishes. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 272, 2337–2344. , , and (
- 2000) Invasion of coastal marine communities in North America: apparent patterns, processes, and biases. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31, 481–531. , , , and (
- 2001) The threat of fishing to highly fecund fishes. Journal of Fish Biology 59(Suppl. A), 90–108. (
- 2008) A global baseline for spawning aggregations of reef fishes. Conservation Biology 22, 1233–1244. , , , , and (
- 2003) The humphead wrasse, Cheilinus undulatus: synopsis of a threatened and poorly known giant coral reef fish. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 13, 327–364. , , , , and (
- 2007) Stock Assessment Approach for the Napoleon Fish, Cheilinus undulatus, in Indonesia: a Tool for Quota-Setting for Data-Poor Fisheries Under CITES Appendix II Non-Detriment Finding Requirements. FAO Fisheries Circular No. 1023. FAO, Rome, pp. 71. , , , and (
- 1997) Whither CITES? The evolution of a treaty regime in the borderland of trade and environment. European Journal of International Law 8, 29–58. (
- 2012) Fish and Multilateral Environmental Agreements: developing a method to identify high risk commercially-exploited aquatic organisms in trade and an analysis of the potential application of MEAs. Joint Nature Conservation Committee Report No 453. JNCC, Peterborough, UK. , , , and (
- 2002) Climate change impacts on U.S. coastal and marine ecosystems. Estuaries 25, 149–164. , , et al. (
- 1999) Crocodile tears and skins: international trade, economic constraints, and limits to the sustainable use of crocodilians. Conservation Biology 13, 465–470. (
- UN (1992) Report of the U.N. Conference on Environment and Development (Rio de Janeiro, 3-14 June 1992), Annex I, Rio Declaration on Environment and Development, A/CONF.151/26 (Vol. I). United Nations. Available at: http://www.un.org/documents/ga/conf151/aconf15126-1annex1.htm (accessed 24 February 2013).
- 2012) Avoiding empty ocean commitments at Rio+20. Science 336, 1383–1385. , , et al. (
- 2011) Conservation and management of seahorses and other Syngnathidae. Journal of Fish Biology 78, 1681–1724. , and (
- 2011) The Evolution of CITES, 9th edn. International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation, Budakeszi, Hungary, pp. 941. (
- 2009) Rebuilding global fisheries. Science 325, 578–585. , , et al. (