National Institute for Disability and Rehabilitation Research, 964 17th Ave. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414.
A Wicked Problem: Can Governments be Fair to Families Living with Disabilities?
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2014
© 2014 by the National Council on Family Relations
Volume 63, Issue 1, pages 185–191, February 2014
How to Cite
Swenson, S. and Lakin, C. (2014), A Wicked Problem: Can Governments be Fair to Families Living with Disabilities?. Family Relations, 63: 185–191. doi: 10.1111/fare.12056
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2014
- 2002). Children with disabilities: Social roles and family impacts in the NHIS-D. DD Data Brief, 4, 1. , , , & (
- 2010). Medicaid long term care expenditures, FY 2009. Cambridge, MA: Thomson Reuters. , , , & (
- 2011). Valuing the invaluable: 2011 update, the growing contributions and costs of family caregiving. Washington, DC: AARP Policy Institute. , , , & (
- 1994). Costs of family care for adults with mental retardation and related developmental disabilities. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 99, 250–261. , , & (
- 2010). Spaces of social inclusion and belonging for people with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 54, 48–57. (
- 2012). 2012 annual disability statistics compendium. Durham, NH: University of New Hampshire, Research and Training Center on Disability Statistics and Demographics. , , , , , , … Laurer, E. (
- 2010). Accessing social capital: Implications for persons with disabilities, a White Paper. American Association of University Centers on Disability, National Gateway to Self Determination. Retrieved from http://www.ngsd.org , , , , & (
- 2005). Helping families raise children with special health care needs at home, Pediatrics, 115, 507–511. , & (
- Olmstead et al. v. L.C. et al., 527 U.S. 581 (1999).
- 2004). Economic implications of caregiving at midlife: Comparing parents with and without children with developmental disabilities. Mental Retardation, 42, 413–426. , , , & (
- 2005). Permanency planning for adolescents with disabilities. ABA Child Law Practice, 24, 113–122. (
- 2008). Nudge: Improving decisions about health, wealth, and happiness. New York: Penguin. , & , (
- 2008). Neoliberalism and human services: Threat and innovation. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 52, 626–633. (
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2012). Projections of the population by selected age groups and sex for the United States: 2015 to 2060 (Table 2). In 2012 National Population Projections: Summary Tables. Washington, DC: Author. Retrieved from http://www.census.gov/population/projections/data/national/2012/summarytables.html
- 2012). Valuing the costs of family caregiving: Time and motion survey estimates. Consumer Interests Annual, 58, 1–6. , & (