Primary Research Article
Potential carbon sequestration of European arable soils estimated by modelling a comprehensive set of management practices
Article first published online: 2 MAY 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Global Change Biology
Volume 20, Issue 11, pages 3557–3567, November 2014
How to Cite
Lugato, E., Bampa, F., Panagos, P., Montanarella, L. and Jones, A. (2014), Potential carbon sequestration of European arable soils estimated by modelling a comprehensive set of management practices. Global Change Biology, 20: 3557–3567. doi: 10.1111/gcb.12551
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2014
- Article first published online: 2 MAY 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 FEB 2014 06:45AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 4 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 19 DEC 2013
- European Commission DG Agriculture's CAPRESE-SOILS project
- 2011) Modelling soil organic carbon stocks and their changes in the northeast of Spain. European Journal of Soil Science, 62, 685–695. , , et al. (
- 2007) Tillage and soil carbon sequestration-what do we really know? Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 118, 1–5. , , et al. (
- 2005) Carbon losses from all soils across England and Wales 1978–2003. Nature, 437, 245–248. , , et al. (
- 2013) Trends in organic carbon and nitrogen contents in agricultural soils in Bavaria (south Germany) between 1986 and 2007. European Journal of Soil Science, 64, 445–454. (
- 2013) Comparison of soil carbon stocks in Scottish soils between 1978 and 2009. European Journal of Soil Science, 64, 455–465. , , et al. (
- 2010) The European carbon balance Part 2: croplands. Global Change Biology, 16, 1409–1428. , , et al. (
- 2001) Grassland management and conversion into grassland: effects on soil carbon. Ecological Applications, 11, 343–355. , , (
- EC (2006) Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee of the Regions. (COM(2006) 231 final) Thematic Strategy for Soil Protection, Brussels.
- EC (2009) Council Regulation establishing common rules for direct support schemes for farmers under the common agricultural policy and establishing certain support schemes for farmers, amending Regulations (EC) No 1290/2005, (EC) No 247/2006, (EC) No 378/2007 and repealing Regulation (EC) No 1782/2003. (EC No 73\2009) Official Journal of the European Union, Brussels.
- EC (2010) Analysis of options to move beyond 20% greenhouse gas emission reductions and assessing the risk of carbon leakage. (COM(2010) 265 final) European Commission, Brussels.
- EC (2012) Report from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, The implementation of the Soil Thematic Strategy and on going activities. (COM(2012) 46 final) Official Journal of the European Union, Brussels.
- EC (2013) DECISION No 529/2013/EU OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 21 May 2013 on accounting rules on greenhouse gas emissions and removals resulting from activities relating to land use, land-use change and forestry and on information concerning actions relating to those activities. Official Journal of the European Union, Brussels.
- EEA (2013) Trends and projections in Europe. Tracking progress towards Europe's climate and energy targets until 2020. No 10, 2013. Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg.
- 2012) Double cropping effects on forage yield and the field water balance. Agricultural Water Management, 115, 104–117. , , et al. (
- 2004) Carbon sequestration in the agricultural soils of Europe. Geoderma, 122, 1–23. , , et al. (
- 2007) Regional assessment of soil organic carbon changes under agriculture in Southern Belgium (1955–2005). Geoderma, 141, 341–354. , (
- 2002) Soil carbon stocks and land use change: a meta analysis. Global Change Biology, 8, 345–360. , (
- 2013) Declining trend of carbon in Finnish cropland soils in 1974–2009. Global Change Biology, 19, 1456–1469. , , et al. (
- 1999) The annual net flux of carbon to the atmosphere from changes in land use 1850–1990. Tellus, Series B: Chemical and Physical Meteorology, 51, 298–313. (
- 2014) Current status, uncertainty and future needs in soil organic carbon monitoring. Science of The Total Environment, 468–469, 376–383. , , et al. (
- 1994) Development of a soil geographic database from the soil map of the european communities. Catena, 21, 37–56. , , (
- 2004) Soil carbon sequestration impacts on global climate change and food security. Science, 304, 1623–1627. (
- 1997) Conservation tillage for carbon sequestration. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 49, 243–253. , (
- 2007) Modelling soil organic carbon dynamics in two long-term experiments of north-eastern Italy. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 120, 423–432. , , (
- 2014) A new baseline of organic carbon stock in European agricultural soils using a modelling approach. Global Change Biology, 20, 313–326. , , et al. (
- 2008) Climate change impacts on irrigated maize in Mediterranean climates: evaluation of double cropping as an emerging adaptation alternative. Agricultural Systems, 98, 21–30. , , (
- 2004) A comprehensive set of high-resolution grids of monthly climate for Europe and the globe: the observed record (1901-2000) and 16 scenarios (2001-2100). Working Paper 55. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK. , , et al. (
- 2000) Special Report on Emissions Scenarios: A Special Report of Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK IPCC. , , et al. (
- 2005) Soil organic carbon as an indicator of environmental quality at the national scale: inventory monitoring methods and policy relevance. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 85, 531–540. , (
- 2012) European Soil Data Centre: response to European policy support and public data requirements. Land Use Policy, 29, 329–338. , , et al. (
- 1988) Dynamics of C, N, P and S in grassland soils: a model. Biogeochemistry, 5, 109–131. , , (
- PICCMAT (2008) Deliverable D7: Implementation of Measures to Mitigate CO2 and N2O from Agricultural Systems Across EU27. Available at: http://climatechangeintelli gence.baastel.be/piccmat/(accessed 16 August 2011).
- 2013) Sensitivity of soil organic carbon stocks and fractions to different land-use changes across Europe. Geoderma, 192, 189–201. , (
- 2011) Temporal dynamics of soil organic carbon after land-use change in the temperate zone - carbon response functions as a model approach. Global Change Biology, 17, 2415–2427. , , et al. (
- 1998) A European network of long-term sites for studies on soil organic matter. Soil and Tillage Research, 47, 263–274. , , et al. (
- 2011) Implications for soil properties of removing cereal straw: results from long-term studies. Agronomy Journal, 103, 279–287. , , et al. (
- 2010) Assessing the effect of soil tillage on crop growth: a meta-regression analysis on European crop yields under conservation agriculture. European Journal of Agronomy, 33, 231–241. , , et al. (
- 1982) Estimation of soil water properties. Transactions - American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 25, 1328. , , (
- 2013) Countryside survey: national ‘soil change’ 1978–2007 for topsoils in Great Britain - acidity, carbon, and total nitrogen status. Vadose Zone Journal, 12, Available at: https://www.soils.org/publications/citation-manager/vzj/12/2/vzj2012.0114 (accessed 10 December 2013). , , et al. (
- 2001) Modelling Carbon and Nitrogen Dynamics for Soil Management, lewis publisher, Boca Raton, FL, USA. , , (
- 2006) Regional simulation of long-term organic carbon stock changes in cropland soils using the DNDC model: 2. scenario analysis of management options. Soil Use and Management, 22, 352–361. , , et al. (
- 2012) Agricultural greenhouse gas mitigation potential globally, in Europe and in the UK: what have we learnt in the last 20 years? Global Change Biology, 18, 35–43. (
- 1997a) Potential for carbon sequestration in European soils: preliminary estimates for five scenarios using results from long-term experiments. Global Change Biology, 3, 67–79. , , et al. (
- 1997b) A comparison of the performance of nine soil organic matter models using datasets from seven long-term experiments. Geoderma, 81, 153–225. , , et al. (
- 1998) Preliminary estimates of the potential for carbon mitigation in European soils through no-till farming. Global Change Biology, 4, 679–685. , , et al. (
- 2002) EuroSOMNET - a European database of long-term experiments on soil organic matter: the WWW metadatabase. Journal of Agricultural Science, 138, 123–134. , , et al. (
- 2005) Projected changes in mineral soil carbon of European croplands and grasslands, 1990–2080. Global Change Biology, 11, 2141–2152. , , et al. (
- 2013) No-till in northern, western and south-western Europe: a review of problems and opportunities for crop production and the environment. Soil and Tillage Research, 118, 66–87. , , et al. (
- UNFCCC (2014) LULUCF under the Kyoto Protocol. Available at https://unfccc.int/methods/lulucf/items/4129.php (accessed 31 January 2014).
- 2002) Carbon emission and sequestration by agricultural land use: a model study for Europe. Global Change Biology, 8, 519–530. , (