Primary Research Article
Baseline map of organic carbon in Australian soil to support national carbon accounting and monitoring under climate change
Version of Record online: 27 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Global Change Biology Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Global Change Biology
Volume 20, Issue 9, pages 2953–2970, September 2014
How to Cite
Viscarra Rossel, R. A., Webster, R., Bui, E. N. and Baldock, J. A. (2014), Baseline map of organic carbon in Australian soil to support national carbon accounting and monitoring under climate change. Global Change Biology, 20: 2953–2970. doi: 10.1111/gcb.12569
- Issue online: 31 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 27 APR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 6 MAR 2014 12:45AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 DEC 2013
- AGO (2002) Pre-clearing Soil Carbon Levels in Australia: Technical report no 12. In: National Carbon Accounting System, (ed. Webb A), pp. 2–5. Australian Greenhouse Office, Canberra.
- 2013) Australian Soil Carbon Research Program, v1. CSIRO Data Collection. doi: 10.4225/08/5101F31440A36. , , et al. (
- 1987) An Introduction to Splines for Use in Computer Graphics and Geometric Modelling.Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc, Los Altos, California. , , (
- 2002) Steady state turnover time of carbon in the Australian terrestrial biosphere. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 16, 55-1–55-21. (
- 2013) NPP Multi-Biome: VAST Calibration Data, 1965-1998, R1. Data setvailable on-line [http://daac.ornl.gov] from Oak Ridge National Laboratory Distributed Active Archive Center, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, USA. doi: 10.3334/ORNLDAAC/576. (
- 1996) Total carbon and nitrogen in the soils of the world. European Journal of Soil Science, 47, 151–163. (
- 2009) Using knowledge discovery with data mining from the Australian soil resource information system database to inform soil carbon mapping in Australia. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 23, GB4033. , , (
- 2010) Soil organic carbon stocks in Laos: spatial variations and controlling factors. Global Change Biology, 16, 1380–1393. , , (
- 2011) Climate Change Science and Solutions for Australia.CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood. , , et al. (
- 2002) Soil Physical Measurement and Interpretation for Land Evaluation. Australian Soil and Land Survey Handbook Series, vol. 5, CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood. , (
- DAFF (2010) Land Use of Australia, Version 4, 2005–06.Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Canberra.
- 2008) Geochemical mapping ‘down under’: selected results from pilot projects and strategy outline for the National Geochemical Survey of Australia, Geochemistry. Exploration, Environment, Analysis, 8, 301–312. , , (
- DEH (2006) Major Vegetation Groups in Australia, Version 3.0. Department of the Environment and Heritage, Canberra.
- 2009) Climate-related trends in Australian vegetation cover as inferred from satellite observations, 1981-2006. Global Change Biology, 15, 1025–1039. , , (
- 1993) An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman and Hall, New York. , (
- 1995) Global soil C resources. In: Soils and global change (eds Lal R, Kimble JM, Levine EE, Stewart BA), pp. 27–43. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, Florida. , , et al.
- 2000) Global carbon stocks. In: Global Climate Change and Pedogenic Carbonates (eds Lal R, Kimble J, Eswaran HH, Stewart BA), pp. 15–25, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida. , , (
- 1995) An equilibrium model of the terrestrial carbon budget.Tellus Series B–Chemical and Physical Meteorology, 47, 310–319. (
- GA (2009) Gravity Grid of Australia and Surrounding Areas (National Geoscience Dataset). Geoscience Australia, Symonston.
- 2011) 3 second SRTM Derived Digital Elevation Models User Guide. Geoscience Australia. www.ga.gov.au/topographic-mapping/digital-elevation-data.html , , et al.
- 2003) A multiresolution index of valley bottom flatness for mapping depositional areas. Water Resources Research, 39, 1347. , (
- 2011) The Garnaut Review 2011: Australia in the Global Response to Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Canberra. (
- 1992) Australian land use, primary production of vegetation and carbon pools in relation to atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration. In: Australia's Renewable Resources, Sustainability and Global Change (eds Gifford RM and Barson MM), pp. 151–187. Bureau of Rural Resources Proceedings No 14. Bureau of Rural Resources and CSIRO Division of Plant Industry, Parkes, ACT. , , et al.
- 1997) Geostatistics for Natural Resources Evaluation.Oxford University Press, New York. (
- 2006) The potential impact of climate change on Australia's soil organic carbon resources. Carbon Balance and Management, 1, 14. , , (
- 2013) Multiple observation types reduce uncertainty in Australia's terrestrial carbon and water cycles. Biogeosciences, 10, 2011–2040. , , et al.
- 2005) The contemporary carbon cycle. In: Biogeochemistry (ed. Schlesinger H), pp. 473–513. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam. (
- 2005) Integrating a global agro-climatic classification with bioregional boundaries in Australia. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 14, 197–212. , , et al.
- 2002) The Australian Soil Classification. Revised Edition, Australian Soil and Land Survey Handbooks Series 4. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood. (
- 2000) The vertical distribution of soil organic carbon and its relation to climate and vegetation. Ecological Applications, 10, 423–436. , (
- 2003) ASRIS: the database. Australian Journal of Soil Research, 41, 1021–1036. , , et al.
- 2009) Re-evaluation of forest biomass carbon stocks and lessons from the world's most carbon-dense forests. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106, 11635–11640. , , (
- 2004) Soil carbon sequestration to mitigate climate change. Geoderma, 123, 1–22. (
- Landsat (2010) Landsat Multispectral Imagery. United States Geological Survey, Reston, VA, USA.
- 1989) A concordance correlation coefficient to evaluate reproducibility. Biometrics, 45, 255–268. (
- 2013) A new baseline of organic carbon stock in European agricultural soils using a modelling approach. Global Change Biology, 20, 313–326. , , et al. (
- 2010) Soil carbon change and its responses to agricultural practices in Australian agro-ecosystems: A review and synthesis. Geoderma, 155, 211–223. , , (
- 2011) The National Dynamic Land Cover Dataset – Technical report. Record 2011/031. Geoscience Australia, Canberra. , , , et al. (
- 2013) Fluctuations in method-of-moments variograms caused by clustered sampling and their elimination by declustering and residual maximum likelihood estimation. European Journal of Soil Science, 64, 401–409. , , (
- 2004) A new generation magnetic anomaly grid database of Australia (MAGDA) – use of independent data increases the accuracy of long wavelength components of continental-scale merges. Preview, pp. 25–29. Australian Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Perth. , , (
- 2009) The radiometric map of Australia. Paper presented at 20th International Geophysical Conference and Exhibition, Australian Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Adelaide, 22–25 February 2009. , , et al.
- 1985) Major world ecosystem complexes ranked by carbon in live vegetation: a database. Report NDP–017. United States Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, Tennessee. , , (
- 2013) The Guide to GenStat 16th Edition, Part 2 – Statistics. VSN international, Hemel Hempstead. (
- 1982) Soil carbon pools and world life zones. Nature, 298, 156–159. , , et al.
- 1950) A climatic index for the leaching factor in soil formation. Journal of Soil Science, 1, 9–19. (
- 1992) Learning with continuous classes. In: AI'92: proceedings of the 5th Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (eds A. Adams ASterling, L), pp. 343–348. World Scientific, Singapore. (
- 2011) Soil Chemical Methods – Australasia. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood. , (
- 2011) Optimal fire regimes for soil carbon storage in tropical savannas of northern Australia. Ecosystems, 14, 503–518. , , (
- 1993) Amounts, dynamics and sequestering of carbon in tropical and subtropical soils. Ambio, 22, 417–426. , , (
- 2008) Metadata: Environmental attributes compiled for the continental GDM analysis (technical report). Fenner School of Environment and Society, The Australian National University, Canberra. (
- 2011) Fine-resolution multiscale mapping of clay minerals in Australian soils measured with near infrared spectra. Journal of Geophysical Research, 116, F04023. (
- 2011) Digitally mapping the information content of visible-near infrared spectra of surficial Australian soils. Remote Sensing of Environment, 115, 1443–1455. , (
- 2012) Predicting soil properties from the Australian soil visible–near infrared spectroscopic database. European Journal of Soil Science, 63, 848–860. , (
- 2013) Mapping gamma radiation and its uncertainty from weathering products in a Tasmanian landscape with a proximal sensor and random forest kriging. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, doi: 10.1002/esp.3476 [E publication ahead of print]. , , (
- 2013) Modelling soil organic carbon change across Australian wheat growing areas, 1960–2010. PLoS ONE, 8, e63324. , ,
- 2007) Geostatistics for Environmental Scientists, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester. , (
- 2006) Continental-scale measurement of the soil organic carbon pool with climatic, edaphic, and biotic controls. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 20, GB1007. , , et al.
- 2011) ANUCLIM Version 6.1. Fenner School of Environment and Society. The Australian National University, Canberra. , (
- 2013) Impact of agricultural management practices on soil organic carbon: simulation of Australian wheat systems, Global Change Biology, 19, 1585–1597. , , et al.
- 1997). Confidence intervals for the log-normal mean. Statistics in Medicine, 16, 783–790. , (