The incentive gap: LULUCF and the Kyoto mechanism before and after Durban
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Volume 5, Issue 6, pages 599–622, November 2013
How to Cite
Ellison, D., Petersson, H., Lundblad, M. and Wikberg, P.-E. (2013), The incentive gap: LULUCF and the Kyoto mechanism before and after Durban. GCB Bioenergy, 5: 599–622. doi: 10.1111/gcbb.12034
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 9 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAY 2012
- Strategic Environmental Research
- 2010a) Decentralized Energy Systems, Report Commissioned by the European Parliament. European Parliament, Brussels. , , et al. (
- 2010b) EU Energy Efficiency Policy – Achievements and Outlook, Report Commissioned by the European Parliament. European Parliament, Brussels. , , et al. (
- 2011) Climate forcing and response to idealized changes in surface latent and sensible heat. Environmental Research Letters, 6, 8. , , et al. (
- 2011) Record High 2010 Global Carbon Dioxide Emissions from Fossil-Fuel Combustion and Cement Manufacture Posted on CDIAC Site, CDIAC. Oakridge National Laboratory, Oakridge. , (
- 2012) Projection of the future EU forest CO2 sink as affected by recent bioenergy policies using two advanced forest management models. Global Change Biology-Bioenergy, 4, 773–783. , , et al. (
- 3C Initiative (2009): “A Roadmap to Combating Climate Change: The 3C Initiative's Recommendations to Political Leaders”. Available at: www.combatclimatechange.org (accessed 23 November 2012)
- CBD (2009) Connecting Biodiversity and Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation: Report of the Second Ad Hoc Technical Expert Group on Biodiversity and Climate Change. CBD Technical Series, No. 41, Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal.
- ECCP (2008) Conclusions and Recommendations Regarding Forest Related Sinks and Climate Change Mitigation. European Climate Change Programme, Working Group on Forest Sinks, Directorate-General Climate Action, Brussels.
- ECCP (2010) Summary Report on the work carried out by the European Climate Change Programme (ECCP) expert group on Climate policy for Land use, land use change and forestry (LULUCF). Final Report adopted September 16th, 2010. Directorate General Climate Action, Brussels.
- Ecosystem Marketplace (2009) State of the Forest Carbon Markets 2009: Taking Root and Branching Out. Ecosystem Marketplace, Washington, DC.
- Ecosystem Marketplace (2011) State of the Forest Carbon Markets 2011: From Canopy to Currency. Ecosystem Marketplace, Washington, DC.
- 2010) Addressing adaptation in the EU policy framework. In: Developing Adaptation Policy and Practice in Europe: Multi-Level Governance of Climate Change, Ch. 2 (ed Keskitalo ECH), pp. 39–96. Springer, Berlin. (
- 2011b) Should the EU climate policy framework be reformed? Eastern Journal of European Studies, 2, 133–167. (
- 2011a) Carbon accounting and the climate politics of forestry. Environmental Science and Policy, 14, 1062–1078. , , (
- 2012a) On the forest cover – water yield debate: from demand to supply-side thinking. Global Change Biology, 18, 806–820. , , (
- 2012b) Harvesting Durban: the opportunities and challenges for central and eastern Europe. Opinions, Comments, Information on the World Economy, Institute of World Economics, Budapest. , , et al. (
- 2012c) What is Business as Usual? The Durban LULUCF Agreement and the Timber Rich States. Manuscript. , , (
- European Climate Foundation (2010) ENERGY SAVINGS 2020: How to triple the impact of energy saving policies in Europe. European Climate Foundation, European Climate Foundation, Brussels.
- FAO (2010) Global Forest Resources Assessment 2010. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- 2002) Twists and turns in the jungle: exploring the evolution of land use, land-use change and forestry decisions within the Kyoto protocol. Reciel, 11, 159–168. (
- 2008) Target CO2: where should humanity aim? The Open Atmospheric Science Journal, 2, 217–231. , , et al. (
- 2011) Negotiations heading towards high warming, high cost pathway. Climate Action Tracker Update. Available at: http://climateactiontracker.org/assets/CAT_Durban_update_2011_2.pdf (accessed 23 November 2012). , , et al. (
- IEA (2009) World Energy Outlook 2009. International Energy Agency, Paris.
- IEA (2011) World Energy Outlook 2011. Executive Summary and Press Report. International Energy Agency, Paris.
- 2010) EUwood – Real Potential for Changes in Growth and Use of EU Forests. Final report, June 2010. Hamburg/Germany. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/energy/renewables/studies/doc/bioenergy/euwood_final_report.pdf (accessed 23 November 2012). et al. (
- 2008) The Carbon Productivity Challenge: Curbing Climate Change and Sustaining Economic Growth. McKinsey Global Institute, Sydney. (
- 2007) Forestry. In: Climate Change 2007: Mitigation. Contribution of Working Group III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (eds Metz B, Davidson OR, Bosch PR, Dave R, Meyer LA), pp. 541–584. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY. , , et al. (
- 2008) Hotspots of the European forests carbon cycle. Forest Ecology and Management, 256, 194–200. , , , et al. (
- 2011) A large and persistent carbon sink in the world's forests. Science, 333, 988–993. et al. (
- 2011) A national and international analysis of changing forest density. PLoS ONE, 6, e19577. , , et al. (
- SEC (2008) 85-V2 [Annex to the Impact Assessment, Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, 23 January, 2008]. Commission of the European Communities, Brussels.
- Swedish EPA (2006) The Integration of LULUCF in the EU's Emissions Trading Scheme to mitigate Climate Change. Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, Stockholm.
- 2009) CO2 emissions from forest loss. Nature Geoscience, 2, 737–738. , , et al. (
- 2006) Curbing Climate Change: An Outline of a Framework Leading to a Low Carbon Emitting Society. Vattenfall, Stockholm. (
- 2011) The realisable potential supply of woody biomass from forests in the European Union. Forest Ecology and Management, 261, 2007–2015. , , et al. (
- 2009) Bokföring av träprodukter (HWP) (Accounting of harvested wood products). In: Flöden av växthusgaser från skog och annan markanvändning (Flows of Greenhouse Gases from the LULUCF-Sector) Slutrapport regeringsuppdrag Jo 2008/3958. (ed. Lundblad M), pp. 52–63. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala. (
- 2009) Implications for limiting CO2 concentrations for land use and energy. Science. 324, 1183–1186. , , et al. (