Editor: Thomas Gillespie
Historical changes in global yields: major cereal and legume crops from 1982 to 2006
Article first published online: 4 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Global Ecology and Biogeography published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Global Ecology and Biogeography
Volume 23, Issue 3, pages 346–357, March 2014
How to Cite
Iizumi, T., Yokozawa, M., Sakurai, G., Travasso, M. I., Romanenkov, V., Oettli, P., Newby, T., Ishigooka, Y. and Furuya, J. (2014), Historical changes in global yields: major cereal and legume crops from 1982 to 2006. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 23: 346–357. doi: 10.1111/geb.12120
- Issue published online: 13 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 4 NOV 2013
- Environment Research and Technology Development Fund. Grant Number: S-10-2
- Scientific Research. Grant Number: 23880030
- 2010) Why are wheat yields stagnating in Europe? A comprehensive data analysis for France. Field Crops Research, 119, 201–212. , , , , & (
- FAO (2013) Agro-MAPS: global spatial database of agricultural land. Available at http://www.fao.org/landandwater/agll/agromaps/interactive/page.jspx (accessed 15 February 2013).
- 2003) Trends in maize, rice, and wheat yields for 188 nations over the past 40 years: a prevalence of linear growth. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 97, 275–283. (
- 2000) Scaling-up crop models for climate variability applications. Agricultural Systems, 65, 43–72. & (
- 2013) Increasing influence of heat stress on French maize yields from the 1960s to the 2030s. Global Change Biology, 19, 937–947. , , , , & (
- 2013) Prediction of seasonal climate-induced variations in global food production. Nature Climate Change, 3, 904–908. , , , , , , & (
- 2011) The HYDE 3.1 spatially explicit database of human-induced land use change over the past 12,000 years. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 20, 73–86. , , & (
- 2006) A multidecadal trend of earlier corn planting in the central USA. Agronomy Journal, 98, 1544–1550. (
- 2005) Trends and variability in U.S. corn yields over the twentieth century. Earth Interactions, 9, 1–29. & (
- 1995) Erosion-crop productivity relationships for soils of Africa. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 59, 661–667. (
- 2004) Geographic distribution of major crops across the world. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 18, GB1009. doi: 10.1029/2003GB002108. , & (
- 2010) Mind the gap: how do climate and agricultural management explain the ‘yield gap’ of croplands around the world? Global Ecology and Biogeography, 19, 769–782. , , , , , & (
- 2012) Reckoning wheat yield trends. Environmental Research Letters, 7, 024016. doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/7/2/024016. & (
- 2007) Global scale climate–crop yield relationships and the impacts of recent warming. Environmental Research Letters, 2, 014002. doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/2/1/014002. & (
- 2003) Remote sensing of regional crop production in the Yaqui Valley, Mexico: estimates and uncertainties. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 94, 205–220. , , & (
- 2011) Climate trends and global crop production since 1980. Science, 333, 616–620. , & (
- 2008) Farming the planet. 2. Geographic distribution of crop areas, yields, physiological types, and net primary production in the year 2000. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 22, GB1022. doi: 10.1029/2007GB002947. , & (
- 2009) The environmental food crisis: the environment's role in averting future food crises. Available at http://www.unep.org/pdf/foodcrisis_lores.pdf (accessed 24 July 2012). , , , , , & (
- 2012) Soil degradation-induced decline in productivity of sub-Saharan African soils: the prospects of looking downwards the lowlands with the Sawah ecotechnology. Applied and Environmental Soil Science, 2012, article ID 673926. doi: 10.1155/2012/673926. , , , , , & (
- 2010) MIRCA2000 – global monthly irrigated and rainfed crop areas around the year 2000: a new high-resolution data set for agricultural and hydrological modeling. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 24, GB1011. doi: 10.1029/2008GB003435. , & (
- 2010) Characterizing the spatial patterns of global fertilizer application and manure production. Earth Interaction, 14, 1–22. , , & (
- 1999) Estimating historical changes in global land cover: croplands from 1700 to 1992. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 13, 997–1027. & (
- 2008) Farming the planet. 1. Geographic distribution of global agricultural lands in the year 2000. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 22, GB1003. doi: 10.1029/2007GB002952. , , & (
- 2012) Recent patterns of crop yield growth and stagnation. Nature Communications, 3, 1293. doi: 10.1038/ncomms2296. , , , & (
- in press) Assessing agricultural risks of climate change in the 21st century in a global gridded crop model intercomparison. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2010) Crop planting dates: an analysis of global patterns. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 19, 607–620. , , & (
- 2001) Agriculture in Brazil and Argentina: developments and prospects for major field crops. Available at http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/wrs-international-agriculture-and-trade-outlook/wrs013.aspx (accessed 18 February 2013). , & (
- 2012) Time trend and variation in mean and accumulated solar radiations for the ripening period of paddy rice in Kyushu for 1979–2007. Journal of Agricultural Meteorology, 68, 69–76. , , & (
- USDA (1994) Major world crop areas and climatic profiles. Available at http://www.usda.gov/oce/weather/pubs/Other/%20MWCACP/MajorWorldCropAreas.pdf (accessed 24 July 2012).
- USDA (2007) Commodity intelligence report: Brazil's 2006/07 record corn crop. Available at http://www.pecad.fas.usda.gov/highlights/2007/03/brazil_corn_30mar2007 (accessed 24 July 2012).
- USDA (2013) Major world crop areas and climatic profiles. Available at http://www.usda.gov/oce/weather/pubs/Other/MWCACP/ (accessed 24 July 2012).
- 2012) Impacts of land-use changes on surface warming rates and rice yield in Shikoku, western Japan. Geophysical Research Letters, 39, L22401. doi: 10.1029/2012GL053711. , , & (
- 2006) Generating global crop maps: from census to grid. International Association of Agricultural Economists Annual Conference, Gold Coast, Australia. Available at http://www.itpgrfa.net/International/sites/default/files/generating_global_crop.pdf (accessed on 15 February 2013). , & (