My first visit to the Archivo Histórico de la Policía Nacional (ahpn), in August 2010, came about through the good offices of Catherine Nolin and Marc Drouin. The latter's doctoral investigations, like those of Kirsten Weld, will deepen our understanding of the mechanisms of state terror in Guatemala. For receiving us on that first visit, and showing us around, I thank Alberto Flores and Gustavo Meoño. A conversation I had with Edilberto Cifuentes about his discovery of the ahpn will stay with me always. I profit likewise from what my colleague, good friend, and traveling companion, Eduardo Velásquez, has to say. Thelma Porres, head of the Archivo Histórico of the Centro de Investigaciones Regionales de Mesoamérica in Antigua, Guatemala, furnished me with a hard copy of Operación Sofía before the National Security Archive in Washington, D.C., made it available online. After delivering oral presentations of the piece, which Victoria L. Henderson resourcefully illustrated, I benefited from the moral support of Laura Cameron, Felix Driver, David Lyon, Joan Schwartz, and Matthew Taylor. I thank Sarah de Leeuw and Sallie Marston for inviting me to contribute to this special issue of the Geographical Review, and its editorial staff and reviewers for their thorough critique of my submission. The insights and copyediting skills of Maureen McCallum Garvie are again appreciated, as is the research funding of the Killam Program of the Canada Council.
THE ARCHIVE THAT NEVER WAS: STATE TERROR AND HISTORICAL MEMORY IN GUATEMALA*
Version of Record online: 17 APR 2013
© 2013 by the American Geographical Society of New York
Volume 103, Issue 2, pages 199–209, April 2013
How to Cite
LOVELL, W. G. (2013), THE ARCHIVE THAT NEVER WAS: STATE TERROR AND HISTORICAL MEMORY IN GUATEMALA. Geographical Review, 103: 199–209. doi: 10.1111/gere.12009
- Issue online: 17 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 APR 2013
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!